- - - - -

Lithium orotate. Woh... Duuude

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 bzyb

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

I've recently started taking doctor's best, but I've never taken more than 2.5 mg/day. I've read some good (neuroprotective) and bad (toxic in high doses) on the site about it. For me the good, is it seems to calm me a bit but I only take a small amount and then stack it with other supplements to make me feel more chill. I think its good for individuals with potential to get anxious or whatnot in some situations, so they can take maybe an hour beforehand and it mellows out a bit.

Cognitively, I dont think its a very big effect, but my mind doesnt seem to work as fast while one it. So reading, thinking, etc is slower but I guess that is the point. I have yet to try to stack it with some stimulants for ADD or focus, so I'll try to see its cognitive effects. Have mainly stacked with anxiolytics and some racetams like Noopept. For now just taking the stuff before like new situations where I might get anxious, so as needed. I don't think this stuff builds in the blood and washes out after a day right?

#32 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

The toxicity would require you to take multiple tens of tablets every day.

Half-life of lithium is 2-2.5 days because the kidneys try not to excrete too much of it. They think it's sodium, which they regulate at precise levels. But if you really need to flush it out of your system faster, you could eat lots of salty foods and drink lots of fluids for a day or two, which will cause your kidneys to get rid of the extra salt water. The lithium will come out with the salt.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

... I'm sorry guys but WTF!!! If someone has bipolar disorder or severe treatment resistant depression (esp. with suicidal tendencies) lithium carbonate with regular blood work is the only option -period. A lithium blood level of 0.7-1.5 is needed for theraputic efficacy which you could never reach with non prescription lithium.

A lithium level of 0.7-1.2 is needed to have protection from depressive episodes
A lithium level of less then 1.5 but still up there is needed for protection against the manic episodes

I take 750 mg of lithium carbonate everyday for unipolar major depressive disorder w/ high risk of suicidal tendencies.

If my blood level goes below ~0.7 there is a problem because I am not getting lithiums theraputic effects.

I believe lithium orotate is 5x the potency of lithium carbonate so I mean we are talking like 125 mg/day.

Previously I was on 1500 mg of lithium carbonate and also 1250 mg of it, also.

If one uses a non lithium carbonate salt for bipolar or treatment resistant uni-polar major depressive disorder
Than, they are not getting treated for a serious mental illness in need of careful medical attention.

Microdoses may do something for cognitive enhancement long term but it will never be a appropriate treatment for bipolar disorder or major depression.

Also, the "brain fogging" and "stupefying" of lithium carbonate at therapeutic levels is drastically overblown. In fact, if anything, it is a cognitive booster/protector long term.

In order to understand why lithium carbonate is at those near toxic levels are absolutely needed in some populations with severe mental illness rather than micro dosing and that it doesn't make you stupid lies within its complex interactions in the brain.

Lithium Carbonate is capable of increase nitrous oxide synthase which is believed to play a role in brain plasticity.
Plus, it can increase seritonin in a part of the brain called the raphe nuclei which then is able to be transported all over the brain. Providing yet another mechanism for a possible antidepressant effect. Lastly, it alters the long term signaling of genes like PKC GSK3 a,b beta arrestin 2 and akt.

Edited by mrd1, 19 February 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#34 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

It's often claimed that lithium orotate is better, but as far as I know this is not sufficiently proven.
Of course, low-dose lithium is NOT a treatment for bipolar disorder.
But higher doses of lithium in drinking water (mcgs, not mgs) are associated with lower rates of schizophrenia, suicide, and crime.
Not getting any lithium won't kill you, but it will make you very sick. Lithium is very likely an essential mineral. Not officially, but it should be categorized as such.
  • Agree x 1

#35 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

For me, low dose in the evening helps with anxiety and mood,  but it makes me so tired!!

Any suggestions for this?

#36 MKultra

• 71 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

^veeeeery late reply, but isnt it helpful to be tired in the evening (right before bed)? ;)

This is a really odd substance, i take 5mg before sleep and it totally f*cks with my memory.. it's like i can't remember what i thought about 2 seconds ago, it's scary. I tried it a couple of times thinking it was a 1 time thing.. cutting the tablet in half does not give me this effect though. It might just have to do with tiredness from it that i get so forgetful, but i found it slightly scary.

#37 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:13 AM

cutting the tablet in half does not give me this effect though

somebody is very clever indeed

#38 MKultra

• 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:20 AM

I don't think i'm the one who thinks i'm clever here ;)

just saying its odd that 5mg gives such extreme effect.

Edited by MKultra, 14 September 2017 - 02:20 AM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#39 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

it's odd if you've been led to doubt the extraordinary brain barrier permeability of the orotate form, which you would be if you listened to anything doctors say

anyways 5mg seems to be the tipping point, especially for the serotonergically disinclined among us, even to the point that 15mg isn't terribly distinguishable from 5mg.  above the 5mg level, receptors in your gut and blood vessels begin to constrict in defense, absorption trails off, and the ratio of brain to plasma levels falls even below the typical 2%.  although none of us in my circle have gone above 15 and none would really advise it.. it is worth noting that the few of us who have stuck it out generally fall within the 1.25 to 2.5mg per day range.  for them it seems to have had a mild antidepressive nootropic effect, but i just can't bring myself to trust the ion.  too many unanswered questions about the side effects and long-term

#40 MKultra

• 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes i think i will stop using this.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#41 lrdmelchett

• 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:20 AM

This is some weird stuff.
About half an hour ago I took a 5 mg tablet for the first time. Within minutes I could feel something but thought that it was just some kind of placebo effect because of novelty nervosity.
Yet... Here I am sitting a bit apathetic in my sofa. Oblivious to the world... Brain has been antipsychoticesque foggy and spaced out for at least half an hour but now it´s starting to wear off.
The feeling was just as powerful as a pharmaceutical would provide. Did not expect this, but this is extremely promising. Perhaps cutting a tablet in half is the way to go.
Was a bit sceptic at first because I thought that high blood serum levels are necessary to treat bipolar symtpoms, so this low dose would in that regard be more of a dietary supplement rather than a drug. Well... Guess everybody is different ey O_o

Placebo effect. If Lithium was thought to make one "energized" you would be reporting how it made you feel hyper and strung out. My .02 cents.

-Brian

I can attest that, very surprisingly, LiOrotate does induce sedation at 15 mg (elemental) for me.  It's not a pleasant sensation...very groggy, and for maybe 3 hours.  It's very odd in that it's such a low amount of elemental Lithium, but...def not placebo for me.

Btw, I think because of this effect that LiOrotate should be taken with the same amount of caution as LiCarbonate.  Lithium is toxic and the effect at the lower end of toxicity is what's being used for therapeutic effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users