Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Increase Myelin

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nanothan

• 66 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Is their any way to increase myelin? Myelin, also known as white matter, increases nerve conduction speeds, which is a major component of intelligence.

I have researched a number of things but as far as finding a drug or supplement which would increase myelin in vivo, I have not really found anything. I started by researching multiple sclerosis, since MS is a disease which causes demyelination in the PNS and CNS, but found that all the treatments for MS are currently focused on the immune system and inflammation rather than remeylination.

I know that B-12 is important for myelination, but I am wondering what the process that causes myelination is and what the "raw materials" used in myelin are and what supplements to take to increase the raw materials.

#2 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

If you're looking to increase myelination in your brain, you should engage in as many learning activities as possible, avoid trans-fats, and get a good DHA/EPA supplement (300/200), maybe some L-glycine or magnesium glycinate, and make sure you're getting enough choline, inositol, and B-12 to protect what you have.

Specifically try taking up juggling, cooking, or similar skills, and change your routine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

Lion's Mane mushroom
  • Agree x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#4 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Article: "Galantamine May Improve Myelin Integrity"

Link:

http://www.life-enha...ate.asp?id=1947

Edited by pycnogenol, 29 December 2010 - 03:09 PM.

#5 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

In vivo actions of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on brain myelination: studies of IGF-I and IGF binding protein-1 (IGFBP-1) transgenic mice

http://neuro.cjb.net...5/11/7344.short

IGF-1 increases brain myelination in mice. I wonder if that will happen in humans (probably) and in old age (?).

Uridine + DHA apparently also increases myelination

http://wurtmanlab.mi...ic/pdf/1037.pdf

Alterations of the synaptosomal membrane 'microviscosity' in the brain cortex of rats during aging and centrophenoxine treatment.

Synaptosomal and myelin fractions were isolated from the brain cortex of young, adult and old male CFY rats (2, 12 and 24 mth, respectively). The purity of the fractions was tested by transmission electron microscopy and marker enzyme assays. The cholesterol content of the fractions was also determined. Samples of the fractions were labelled with diphenylhexatriene (DPH) and the fluorescence anisotropy ® of the label was measured at various optical densities. The values of r extrapolated to zero optical density were compared in the age groups and used for calculating the 'microviscosity' of the membranes. The 'microviscosity' of synaptosomal membranes displayed a significant age-dependent increase: from 2.3 +/- 0.02 (SD) in the young group it increased to 2.6 +/- 0.03 poise by the age of 24 mth at 37 degrees C. Most of this increase occurred between the adult and old age. The cholesterol content of the synaptosomes also increased significantly during aging. Centrophenoxine (CPH)-treatment with 100 mg/kg body weight daily dose for 2 mth was able to reverse the age-dependent alterations of both the membrane 'microviscosity' and the cholesterol content in the synaptosomes: the values returned nearly to the adult level. The results obtained are interpreted in terms of the membrane hypothesis of aging attributing to primary role to the free-radical induced membrane damage in cellular aging.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6354121

If I interpret that correctly centrophenoxine reverses age induced decline in myelination?

Edited by GhostBuster, 22 December 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#6 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Gotu Kola + Ashwagandha. Gotu Kola increases number of axons in mice suffering from nerve damage. Ashwagandha compounds causes axons to grow in length in vitro. Ashwagandha also treats MS symptoms (increases AChT activity) and is sometimes used to recover from episodes due to its ability to repair and stengthen nerve pathways. Cured my absessed tooth. Ashwagandha contains a GDNF receptor agonist, which attributes to its ability to spawn oligodendrocites from precursor cells.

Phosphatidylcholine. It's the building block of most of your myelin.

Dietary lipids. Dietary intake of an Omega-6 acid (one found in Lecithin) induces myelinogenesis in rats.

Methyl donors. The theory is that the immune system borrows methyl groups from choline to use as ammunition against invasion. Thus, when the nervous system begins to repair itself, the T Cells will look the oligodendrocites up and down, looking for reason to kill them, spot citrulline damage, and blow the oligodenrocites to pieces using their chemical warfare. Provide the methyl donors, and the immune system will shut fe thuck up.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Vitamin K2 is highly concentrated in the myelinated regions of the brain, leading to suggestions that it plays role in the myelination process. True or not, I have noticed improved cognition following K2 supplementation and there are other Imminst members who have reported about such effects too. Worth a try, I'd say.

Here's one message dealing with the issue: http://www.longecity...post__p__436628
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#8 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Vitamin K2 is highly concentrated in the myelinated regions of the brain, leading to suggestions that it plays role in the myelination process. True or not, I have noticed improved cognition following K2 supplementation and there are other Imminst members who have reported about such effects too. Worth a try, I'd say.

Here's one message dealing with the issue: http://www.longecity...post__p__436628

Doesn't Vitamin K deficiency have something to do with seasonal affective disorder?

Great discovery. Hmm... might get me some kelp extract...

Edited by devinthayer, 22 December 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#9 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Doesn't Vitamin K deficiency have something to do with seasonal affective disorder?

I would guess kelp extract has only K1. K1 doesn't show the same distribution pattern in brains as K2 does, though to my knowledge young individuals are able to convert K1 (phylloquinone) to the required K2 MK-4 form (menatetrenone) quite efficiently.

The form of K2 i've been using is K2 MK-7, extracted from natto which is a fermented soybean food. I would just buy natto instead if it weren't for the fact that the nearest store that sells it is about 100 km away.

I have heard of the association between low vitamin d levels and seasonal affective disorder, but nothing about Ks role in the development of that condition.
  • like x 1

#10 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

I would guess kelp extract has only K1. K1 doesn't show the same distribution pattern in brains as K2 does, though to my knowledge young individuals are able to convert K1 (phylloquinone) to the required K2 MK-4 form (menatetrenone) quite efficiently.

The form of K2 i've been using is K2 MK-7, extracted from natto which is a fermented soybean food. I would just buy natto instead if it weren't for the fact that the nearest store that sells it is about 100 km away.

I have heard of the association between low vitamin d levels and seasonal affective disorder, but nothing about Ks role in the development of that condition.

Wow totally confused D with K... sorry about that. A lot of supplements I see online combine D3 with K2, so that adds to the confusion.

Ohh... okay, the article I read got it confused and just lumped all Vitamin K together. K2 is from fermented and animal sources.

#11 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

#12 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

Vitamin K and pantothenic acid (increases Acetyl coa). Eat more cholesterol and fatty fish (omegas, phospholipids, etc). With that said, I've become a fan of Jack mackerel this year.

#13 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Elus, thanks for posting that. I revisited the the idea of eating more fruits and veggies recently. I read about the importance of eating enough potassium to maintain positive nitrogen balance. Seems like eating a high protein diet without adequate potassium just results in a urinary net loss of nitrogen. That's no good. In trying to calculate how much food I needed to eat to increase my K, it turned out to be a lot more than I'm currently eating. She has a good point though. I recently saw someone eat a very small spinach salad with some raspberries. It was maybe 20-30 calories in total because you know, she has to be modest and eat little. Then, she followed that with 3 cupcakes each having 400 calories. Pretty silly, I thought. Thing is, she was only measuring the volume of the food, instead of the calories/nutrients. We are afraid to pig out on veggies but not so on foods that are less nutrient dense and high calorie.

#14 Adan

• 21 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

What brand of K2 do you use? How much of it do you take?

#15 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Progesterone synthesis in the nervous system: implications for myelination and myelin repair

#16 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

What brand of K2 do you use? How much of it do you take?

Currently Jarrow's 90 mcg MK-7 one cap / day. Have also used LEF's 45 mcg MK-7.

#17 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Vitamin K and pantothenic acid (increases Acetyl coa). Eat more cholesterol and fatty fish (omegas, phospholipids, etc). With that said, I've become a fan of Jack mackerel this year.

So buying Omega 3 supplement and eating eggs for cholesterol will help increase Myelin???

#18 Ampa-omega

• 335 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

i think there was this one thing called nervonic acid that was found to repair myelin and is found in mustard powder
http://www.longecity...uper-nootropic/
http://greatmasticat...-did-it-go.html

http://biosingularit...elin-formation/ (protein Par-3)

At a basic level, our nervous system is like a collection of wires that transmit electrical signals encoding our thoughts, feelings, and actions, both conscious and unconscious. The connections in our brain are formed by neurons that extend to each other and to muscles long wires called axons. Just as an electrical wire needs insulation, our axons require an insulating sheath (myelin) that helps to propagate the electrical signal and maximize the efficiency and velocity of these signals in our brain and body. It is this property (myelination) that facilitates the long-distance communication in our nervous system across junctions called synapses, such that a thought can result in the movement of a finger or a toe. Diseases and injury that compromise the integrity of myelin such as multiple sclerosis, or peripheral neuropathies, have dramatic consequences like paralysis, uncoordinated movements, and neuropathic pain. More specifically, the study showed that a protein called Par-3 is at the base of the myelination process. This protein becomes localized to one side of the myelin-forming cells called Schwann cell, upon contact with the axon that is to be myelinated. Par-3 acts as a sort of molecular scaffold to set-up an “organizing centre”, which brings together key proteins essential for myelination, in particular a receptor for a molecule secreted by the neurons. The scientists found that when they disrupted this organizing centre, cells could not form myelin normally. Importantly, their discovery demonstrates that Schwann cells need to become polarized so that they know which side of the cell is in contact with the axon so that they can initiate wrapping and bring essential molecules to this critical interface. These studies open the way to new research, which should help to identify other components that are recruited at the organizing centre set-up by Par-3. Importantly, in conditions such as multiple sclerosis or after injury, it is believed that Schwann cells could be used to re-myelinate axons. But so far this approach has proved to be relatively inefficient. Therefore, these experiments bring about the possibility that manipulating the Par-3 pathway in Schwann cells might allow for more efficient re-myelination of damaged or diseased nerves.

also this may be relevant:
http://www.genengnew...erape/81245731/

A technique for generating pure populations of mouse oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs) that can differentiate into myelin-producing cells both in vivo and in vivo is reported by scientists at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and Stanford University School of Medicine. The method involves directing the differentiation of pluripotent mouse epiblast stem cells (EpiSCs) through defined developmental transitions, which, the team claims, results in the rapid and efficient production of highly expandable populations of mouse OPCs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21913336
Muscarinic receptor subtypes as potential targets to modulate oligodendrocyte progenitor survival, proliferation and differentiation.

Edited by Ampa-omega, 29 December 2011 - 10:41 PM.

• like x 1

#19 LeonardElijah

• 78 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Makes sense to me.

There was a study done on certain strains of pro-biotics. People who took them had decreased levels of anxiety after a couple of weeks. If I recall correctly, the theory was that the gut bacteria were responsible for producing vitamin K, which somehow had an effect on anxiety and perceived endurance. I didn't notice anything spectacular, but the first time I downed vegetable juice after taking the recommended pro-biotics for a few days I felt slightly dizzy. Thereafter I think I've retained something in my baseline since then but can't be sure. If somehow vitamin K were necessary for mylein, I wouldn't be surprised.

Sorry for turning this into a vitamin K2 thread, but the effect is real.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

Here's a comprehensive list:

https://selfhacked.c...6/10/25/myelin/

Any additions with references would be appreciated.

• like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users