Photo
- - - - -

Ex-smoker using nicotine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

I smoked pretty heavily for ten years (pack and a half / day). I think I was self medicating my ADD, OCD and social anxiety, and that's why it was so hard to stop. It took years and many tries to stop. My ADD, OCD and social anxiety, is bad now and nothing else helped so I'm thinking of starting a patch or chewing gum but I'm afraid it might eventually lead back to cigarettes.

Anyone else experience this? Have you managed to use nicotine yet not start up smoking again?

#2 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Maybe what you need is acetylcholine. Have you tried taking choline supplements?

Nicotine is an acetylcholine mimetic, and choline is a precursor to acetylcholine in the body's normal function. To get acetylcholine the body combines choline with acetic acid (such as from fermented foods, wine, vinegar). The body also produces acetic acid, but most people don't get the optimal amount of essential choline needed, as established by RDA, so it certainly can't hurt to take a choline supplement.

Personal note: when I began taking choline it was combined with inositol, and the inositol gave me headaches. I now take choline by itself and am fine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 j03

• Topic Starter
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Maybe what you need is acetylcholine. Have you tried taking choline supplements?

Nicotine is an acetylcholine mimetic, and choline is a precursor to acetylcholine in the body's normal function. To get acetylcholine the body combines choline with acetic acid (such as from fermented foods, wine, vinegar). The body also produces acetic acid, but most people don't get the optimal amount of essential choline needed, as established by RDA, so it certainly can't hurt to take a choline supplement.

Personal note: when I began taking choline it was combined with inositol, and the inositol gave me headaches. I now take choline by itself and am fine.

I don't think that's all there is to nicotine's mode of action. Choline is counter-indicated for OCD and can make it worse, yet there's many studies showing nicotine's efficacy in treating even refractory Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

#4 f00bar

• 19 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

I smoked pretty heavily for ten years (pack and a half / day). I think I was self medicating my ADD, OCD and social anxiety, and that's why it was so hard to stop. It took years and many tries to stop. My ADD, OCD and social anxiety, is bad now and nothing else helped so I'm thinking of starting a patch or chewing gum but I'm afraid it might eventually lead back to cigarettes.

Anyone else experience this? Have you managed to use nicotine yet not start up smoking again?

Quitting seems to be hard for a lot of people and I assume beating any addiction will be even harder when dealing with these issues. Even if it would help it might not be the best idea.

I don't think that's all there is to nicotine's mode of action. Choline is counter-indicated for OCD and can make it worse, yet there's many studies showing nicotine's efficacy in treating even refractory Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I don't know these studies and I probably could not judge their validity. Assuming you can have you compared nicotine's efficacy to other treatments? I am under the impression ©BT is the best available option. And do you have the bases covered (diet, exercise, maybe Mg, Omega-3)?

#5 bran319

• 175 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Probably a very bad idea. But if you decide to go down that road it would be best to go with the slowest delivery method possible, as the speed of the hit determines a lot of the addictive potential. The patch has the slowest release rate.

Have you tried Galantamine? What about bupropion?

Edited by bran319, 07 January 2011 - 02:56 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

Remember, there are 1000s of chemicals in tobacco smoke. Nicotine being only one of them, granted its the biggest player. However, there are also MAO inhibitors in tobacco smoke that have been shown to make nicotine more addictive then on its own. Maybe the MAO inhibitors were selftreating the OCD. They would increase seretonin and dopamine both which are thought to be involved in OCD.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users