Uberman Sleep Schedule and Beta-Amyloid Accumulation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

http://www.sciencema...5/1005.abstract

http://www.medicalne...cles/165421.php

Amyloid-β (Aβ) accumulation in the brain extracellular space is a hallmark of Alzheimer’s disease. The factors regulating this process are only partly understood. Aβ aggregation is a concentration-dependent process that is likely responsive to changes in brain interstitial fluid (ISF) levels of Aβ. Using in vivo microdialysis in mice, we found that the amount of ISF Aβ correlated with wakefulness. The amount of ISF Aβ also significantly increased during acute sleep deprivation and during orexin infusion, but decreased with infusion of a dual orexin receptor antagonist. Chronic sleep restriction significantly increased, and a dual orexin receptor antagonist decreased, Aβ plaque formation in amyloid precursor protein transgenic mice. Thus, the sleep-wake cycle and orexin may play a role in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease.

So... Does the Uberman sleep schedule probably increase the rate of Aβ plaque formation? Does that make it dangerous?

The excess Aβ can be cleared with regular periods of sleep after sleep deprivation. But with Uberman, you can't really have any regular periods of sleep. That will mess up your Uberman schedule.

(note: I don't practice Uberman).

#2 openeyes

• 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

It would be nice if any of the people who claimed to successfully adopt uberman had undergone any sort of biological testing. I don't know of any who claimed success that are still doing it, so the jury is still out.

For now I do mostly free-running sleep, going to bed when tired, setting an alarm for when I NEED to be up, but usually waking up long before then.

Edited by openeyes, 20 January 2011 - 06:16 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users