Photo
- - - - -

Acetylcholine OUCH

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vitaman

• 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

I love the cognitive effects of Centrophenoxine and other superb choline sources. Similarly, I like Huperzine.

But, I find when I boost my acetylcholine, I have severe back and neck pain problems. I end up taking Robaxacet (an anticholinergic). It takes a few days to ease the pain, but the "stupid feeling" comes much sooner- within hours.

Is there some way to keep the acetylcholine where I want it, or at least prevent it from getting to my spine?

I am limited to the not-so-strong phosphatydilcholine- no pain but few benefits. Even 250 mg of Centro used occasionaly can send my back into spasm.

Thanks!

#2 onetimevisit

• 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:30 AM

Do you get back pain with huperzine?it Maybe centrally selective,

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 vitaman

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Unfortunatly, yes. Anything I do to give a strong boost to acetylcholine seems to aslo increase the acetylcholine along the skeletal joints.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Normally, a nerve impulse arrives at the motor nerve terminal, initiating an influx of calcium ions which causes the exocytosis of synaptic vesicles containing acetylcholine. Acetylcholine then diffuses across the synaptic cleft. It may be hydrolysed by Acetylcholine esterase (AchE) or bind to the nicotinic receptors located on the motor end plate. The binding of two acetylcholine molecules results in a conformational change in the receptor that opens the sodium-potassium channel of the nicotinic receptor. This allows Na+ and Ca2+ ions to enter the cell and K+ ions to leave the cell causing a depolarization of the end plate, resulting in muscle contraction. Following depolarization, the acetylcholine molecules are then removed from the end plate region and enzymatically hydrolysed by acetylcholinesterase.

Normal end plate function can be blocked by two mechanisms. Nondepolarizing agents like tubocurarine block the agonist, acetylcholine, from binding nicotinic receptors and activating them, thereby preventing depolarization. Alternatively, depolarizing agents such as succinylcholine are nicotinic receptor agonists which mimic Ach, block muscle contraction by depolarizing to such an extent that it desensitizes the receptor and it can no longer initiate an action potential and cause muscle contraction.

So a muscle relaxant that blocks nicotinic receptors might help with back pain caused by high acetylcholine levels. Valerian may be one such herb, otherwise prescription drugs ar eavailable.
  • like x 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users