Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Lipofuscin accumulation

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

This topic is becomming very interesting. In the beginning triplecrown wrote about dmae, alcar and piracetam.
What is Your oppinion about the effectiveness of these?

I haven't really looked into dmae, alcar and piracetam regarding iron chelation as IP6 is the supplement most often mentioned by authors promoting iron reduction for better health.

I do know you can dump more iron in 10 minutes at a blood bank than you can with months of (non-medical) supplement chelation. Fair warning, the needle they use at the blood bank is larger than the ones they use to draw blood labs at the doctors office... About the size of a pencil lead!

Female menstruation causes a loss of about 30mg of iron per month... A 500cc blood donation about 200mg. I haven't read any data about how fast IP6 can chelate iron, but I have been told by someone on another forum he lowered his ferritin substantially with IP6 over several months time.

I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and I also drink alcohol, which has been well documented to increase iron absorption. At age 55, I noticed a rather sharp decline in my health (hair loss, malaise/fatigue, loss of apatite, focal hyperpigmentation on my neck). A trip to the doctor and all my labs (full metabolic panel) looked fine. He didn't do an iron study (they rarely do), and the doc chalked it up to aging.

I had been a blood donor in the past, but hadn't donated in years when they had a blood drive at work... I went in and dropped a pint, and found I felt noticeably better in the weeks after my donation. The effect faded, and I didn't pay much attention to it until the blood bank called and started bugging me to donate again once I was eligible.

A second donation, and again, I felt "my malaise" lift like a fog. After a bit of research, back to the doctor went I for an iron study which showed even after a couple donations my ferritin was still just over 100. Not alarmingly high by medical standards (300 is the official point of iron overload), but I decided to lower it further. Each donation drops ferritin by about 30 points (with a slight rebound in between donations), and within the year my ferritin was down to more youthful levels again (23 at last check).

I started on IP6 in between donations and was surprised to see the focal hyperpigmentation on my neck getting noticeably lighter (no more red-neck!). I'm almost a year into my iron odyssey and feeling remarkably frisky and fine. Personal experience... I'm sold!

A great read on the "Over-Mineralization" theory of aging AKA: "A Unifying Theory of Aging" at the Longevinex site...

Look Here: http://www.longevine...of-aging-part1/

If you want to feel younger, adopt a more youthful mineral/iron profile... Get thee to a blood bank!

Edited by synesthesia, 11 May 2012 - 03:10 AM.

• like x 4
  • Informative x 1

#32 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

P.S. So did y'all read the link I posted above? There are only 4 pages, and they can change your life!

Here they are:
http://www.longevine...of-aging-part1/

http://www.longevine...f-aging-part-2/

http://www.longevine...f-aging-part-3/

http://www.longevine...f-aging-part-4/

Don't know how I feel about resveratrol... Never tried it; but the rest of this paper by Bill Sardi is pure genius!

Hadn't read it in a while myself... I thank God for the internet, this site, and my (new-found) good health...

Now I'm getting verklempt! Talk amongst yourselves!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Are you saying that because everyone who has high stored iron levels doesn't get heart disease or Alzheimer's, one shouldn't consider accumulating evidence there may be a link between elevated iron storage and disease?

Of course not.

Not all smokers die of heart disease or lung cancer, yet in looking at smoking populations one can clearly see the risk association, even though it has never been scientifically proven in controlled studies with humans.

Right. Except that the Japanese smoke more than Americans do, yet are no more likely to die of lung cancer. So, in stead of looking across entire populations during a snapshot in time, which are multiply confounded, you get detailed information about the life and lifestyles of individuals at one point in time, follow them up over the long term, and look at their later risk of some outcome after controlling for the many differences you observed between the individuals in your cohort. When you do that, yo see that people who smoke are more likely to get lung cancer than people who don't, and people who smoke more are more likely to get lung cancer than peole who smoke less. Whereas, when you do that for body iron load and cardiovascular outcomes, "the vast majority of the epidemiological data does not support the hypothesis that body iron stores are directly related to the risk of developing CHD."

Perhaps we should move on to cancer...

"Moderate elevation of body iron level and increased risk of cancer occurrence and death"

http://onlinelibrary...560312/abstract

"There is evidence, in this cohort, of elevated cancer risk in those with moderately elevated iron level. This pattern was seen in women as well as in men"

Hm. The evidence on the association between iron load and cancer risk seems to be very mixed. I can't, unfortunately, find a good, current, meta-analysis of prospective studies. Also, there is also significant evidence that iron deficiency may increase the risk of GI cancer. Notably, "within the spectrum of normal iron metabolism, ferritin and transferrin saturation were not associated with risk of mortality among people who were not taking iron supplements and did not have a baseline history of cardiovascular disease or cancer".

As to blood donation: a couple of of prospective studies find no significant association of blood donation with risk of overall or colorrectal cancer. The former study included assessment of donation frequency and level of iron reduction. One clinical trial found reduced cancer risk after blood "donation" in peripheral arterial disease patients. Another clinical trialA previous report from the same trial found no reduction in overall or CVD mortality from blood "donation" in a similar population, which leads to the question of what is balancing out the cancer deaths.

As an example of the confounding problem I mentioned earlier, a study (author manuscript of full text) of recent blood donors in Sweden and Denmark were found to be at substantially lower risk of mortality than the general population. But when the authors did an analysis in the same databank of blood donors, "individually matched on sex, age, and county of residence ... [and] estimated relative risks of cancer according to number of blood donations made or estimated iron loss 3–12 years before a case patient was diagnosed with cancer, ... No clear association was observed between number of donations and risk of cancer overall" -- although it is worth noting that "between the lowest (≤median, <0.75 g) and highest (>90th percentile, >2.7 g) categories of estimated iron loss, there was a trend (Ptrend < .001) of decreasing risk for cancers of the liver, lung, colon, stomach, and esophagus, which are thought to be promoted by iron overload (combined odds ratio [OR] = 0.70, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.58 to 0.84), but only among men and only with a latency of 3–7 years."

This may be significant, but it is far less than what was implied by their crude analysis of donors vs. the general population, especially if there is no effect on cardiovascular disease. They attributed the substantial reduction in that analysis to the healthier lifestyles and selective screening of blood donors, not (primarily) to the sequelae of having blood removed. "Mortality rates and cancer incidence were lowest for outcomes that are recognized as being related to lifestyle factors such as smoking or to the selection criteria for blood donation": donors smoked less, Hep B and C infectees were screened out, they attempt to exclude heavy drinkers, etc. And, there was a higher risk for several cancers, including breast:

We speculate that these risks reflect to some extent the selection of persons of high socio-economic status and health awareness into the blood donor population. However, as we did not have access to any specific data on such factors, we are unable to draw any firm conclusions about this issue. Risks may be elevated by increased detection of otherwise sub-clinical cancers, due to donors coming into regular contact with the health care system for blood donation, and perhaps also increased self detection. The greater deficit for cancer mortality compared to incidence points to possible screening effects.

"Blood donors recruited in more recent years exhibited a lower relative mortality than those who started earlier," even granted secular trends in cancer epidemiology, suggesting that thtey were getting better at screening. "Explicit and informal requirements for blood donation in Scandinavia, although mostly of a simple nature, have successfully refined the selection of a particularly healthy subpopulation." And, blood donors are likely more conscientious than the general population -- a character trait repeatedly associated with lower mortality rates.

Again, to get good data on the effects of any action or habit, you have to track risk in individuals and control for confounding variables over time. Comparing menopausal women as a group to men and/or premenopausal women as a group doesn't tell us much of anything.

I personally keep my ferritin levels at the low-normal end with a vegetarian CR diet.

This topic is becomming very interesting. In the beginning triplecrown wrote about dmae, alcar and piracetam. What is Your oppinion about the effectiveness of these?

There is no evidence that DMAE has any effect on lipofuscin; people are assuming that it will because it's a constituent of centrophenoxine, which was reported in some studies to lower lipofuscin levels, tho' as noted this seems to be a very dubious finding. Same with ALCAR. I know of no evidence that piracetam lowers lipofuscin burden, aside from a study "on the cerebellar Purkinje and hippocampal CA3 pyramidal cells in alcohol-treated and withdrawn rats".

Edited by Michael, 02 June 2012 - 07:16 PM.

• like x 3
  • Informative x 1

#34 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I did some internet browsing and I managed to find some articles, that show promissing results for DMAE, ALCAR and Piracetam. If I had some more time, perhaps I could find more articles. Please, tell me Your oppinion of them. I also went to the links, that Michael posted about

DMAE
The removal of lipofuscin has been shown in a scientific research in
Caenorhabditis briggsae [1].

ALCAR
ALCAR (acetyl-L-carnitine) has shown to stop the lipofuscin deposition in the
cytoplasm of pyramidal neurons of rat prefrontal cortex and hippocampus (CA3
field) [2]. The effect of the ALCAR in rats has been shown also from another
team [3]. Review of scientific literature also shows, that the acetyl - L - carnitine
have an effect over the lipofuscin accumulation in rodens [4].

Piracetam
Michael cited an article, that lipofuscin formation and accumulation on the cerebellar Purkinje and
hippocampal CA3 pyramidal cells in alcohol-treated and withdrawn rats had been
markedly decreased. I found, that a team from Russia also shows same results [5].

1. Bert M. Zuckermana & Kerry Ann Barrett, Effects of pca and dmae on the
nematode caenorhabditis briggsae, Experimental Aging Research: An International
Journal Devoted to the Scientific Study of the Aging Process
Volume 4, Issue 2, 1978.
http://www.tandfonli...610737808257136

2. Amenta F, Ferrante F, Lucreziotti R, Ricci A, Ramacci MT, Reduced lipofuscin
accumulation in senescent rat brain by long-term acetyl-L-carnitine treatment, Arch
Gerontol Geriatr. 1989 Sep-Oct;9(2):147-53.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2589915

3. Kohjimoto Y, Ogawa T, Matsumoto M, Shirakawa K, Kuwaki T, Yasuda H,
Anami K, Fujii T, Satoh H, Ono T, Effects of acetyl-L-carnitine on the brain
lipofuscin content and emotional behavior in aged rats, Jpn J Pharmacol. 1988
Nov;48(3):365-71.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3221536

4. Massimo Castorina, Laura Ferraris, Acetyl-L-carnitine affects aged brain
receptorial system in rodents, Life Sciences, Volume 54, Issue 17, 1994, Pages
1205–1214.
http://www.sciencedi...024320594008477

5. Ramiz Salimov, Natalia Salimova, Ludmila Shvets, Nikolai Shvets, Effect of
chronic piracetam on age-related changes of cross-maze exploration in mice,
Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Volume 52, Issue 3, November 1995,
Pages 637–640.
http://www.sciencedi...09130579500179Z
  • Informative x 1

#35 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

DMAE
The removal of lipofuscin has been shown in a scientific research in Caenorhabditis briggsae [1].

Again: ignore anything done in roundworms, flies, or other very short-lived, non-mammalian species.

ALCAR
ALCAR (acetyl-L-carnitine) has shown to stop the lipofuscin deposition in the cytoplasm of pyramidal neurons of rat prefrontal cortex and hippocampus (CA3 field) [2]. The effect of the ALCAR in rats has been shown also from another team [3]. Review of scientific literature also shows, that the acetyl - L - carnitine have an effect over the lipofuscin accumulation in rodens [4].

Right: the context in which I pooh-poohed it was as re the claim that centrophenoxine removes existing lipofuscin. This is a somewhat different question. I'm not fully convinced by these studies either, however, in part because we don't know much about the animals' health and longevity either (they were only 22 mo old, and might have been on the verge of premature death for all we know); because most of the lit is from Sigma Tau, the original "drug" producers of the stuff; and because work by CH Dowson (6) leaves open the opossibility that that the material that you see less of upon ALCAR administration may not be true lipofuscin, but might instead be a reduction in the amount of cytoplasmic waste material that is actually rather easy to break down, but whose trafficking to the lysosome has been impaired (through impaired mitochondrial functioning, eg); by improving cellular energetics, trafficking could resume, and less such material would be present. I'm not convinced either way on this point.

Piracetam Michael cited an article, that lipofuscin formation and accumulation on the cerebellar Purkinje and hippocampal CA3 pyramidal cells in alcohol-treated and withdrawn rats had been markedly decreased. I found, that a team from Russia also shows same results [5].

The "old" mice in this study were only 10 mo old; if there was significant lipofuscin in their controls (the abstract doesn't assert this, and I've not seen the full text: have you seen it, seivtcho, or are you cribbing?), this is another case of ameliorating the lot of ill-cared-for, sick mice, not of retarding the effects on aging.

References
5. Ramiz Salimov, Natalia Salimova, Ludmila Shvets, Nikolai Shvets, Effect of chronic piracetam on age-related changes of cross-maze exploration in mice, Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Volume 52, Issue 3, November 1995, Pages 637–640.
http://www.sciencedi...09130579500179Z

6: Dowson JH, Wilton-Cox H, Cairns MR, Ramacci MT. The morphology of lipopigment in rat Purkinje neurons after chronic acetyl-L-carnitine administration: a reduction in aging-related changes. Biol Psychiatry. 1992 Jul 15;32(2):179-87. PubMed PMID: 1420631.

Edited by Michael, 13 May 2012 - 01:19 PM.

• like x 1

#36 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I find this discussion about therapeutic phlebotomy and/or the use of chelation to be interesting. Two years ago, I showed my primary care physician a paper pointing to ferritin levels being an independent risk factor in CHD - as expected, he scorned at this. I haven't delved into this topic ever since, but it's remained at the back of my head so to say.

Long story short, hemochromatosis was once suspected and it was ruled out. Despite this, my first ferritin test came in at : Ferritin : 284 (50 - 250) ug/L
Upon follow-up testing, it went back down to within range at : Ferritin : 229 (50 -- 250) ug/L Perhaps, my immune system was fighting an infection at the time of the first blood draw. My latest blood draw show ferritin at : Ferritin : 236 (50 - 250) ug/L

Though my ferritin is within ref. range, I've found the reading to be perhaps suboptimal for health. Without jumping to any conclusions yet, it could probably benefit me if it was lower.

#37 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

"Normal" levels for ferritin do not accurately indicate "Optimal" levels...

From the Iron Disorders Institute: http://www.irondisor...org/iron-tests/

"Serum ferritin measurements range from about 15–200 ng/ml for women and 20–300 ng/ml for men. Approximately 95% of the population will fall within “normal” population range simply because ranges are calculated using standard statistical methodology. Except for the lower ends of these ranges, which can predict anemia or iron deficiency anemia, the ranges per se do not define optimal or even healthy iron levels".

"Optimal SF (Serum Farritin) ranges for men and women are 25 – 75 ng/ml"

"Individuals with risk factors for diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, stoke, liver diseases and cancer face amplified risks proportional to the amount of stored body iron over and above the optimal range"

Now let us consider the fact that as long as dietary iron is consumed regularly, excess "stored" iron is simply toxic waste lying around in cells... It would seem to me when it comes to stored iron, less is more!

Edited by synesthesia, 14 May 2012 - 04:06 AM.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#38 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Synesthesia : thanks for the link - looks to be interesting. Most MDs don't care about optimal range, that is, as long as you're within range, you're told everything's fine - patients need to educate themselves. I'll perform unit conversion to find out where I'd be at in the ng/ml range.

#39 Linus Freeman

• 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have been using 500 mg a day of european centrophenoxine for the past 10 to 12 years, based on Pr Nagy's recommendations.
So I guess I qualify as a long term user...I am 58 years old and don't have a single age spot yet.
I think it does the job at least for visible - face or hands- spots. Inside, who knows ?
  • Informative x 1

#40 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

I have been using 500 mg a day of european centrophenoxine ...I am 58 years old and don't have a single age spot yet.

As noted elsewhere: despite despite Pearson & Shaws' claims, "age spots"/"liver spots,"are not lipofuscin. They are caused by melanin clumping, according to the Mayo Clinic; excess melanocyte activity, according to these lecture notes (PowerPoint). See also this from MSN Health.

#41 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

but why does centrophenoxine prevent melanin clumping? through what mechanism?
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#42 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

but why does centrophenoxine prevent melanin clumping? through what mechanism?

I don't believe there's any evidence that centrophenoxine does prevent melanin clumping. As far as I can tell, the idea that centrophenoxine (or DMAE) inhibits (let alone reverses) the formation of "liver spots"/"age spots" is just a myth started by Pearson and Shaw, on the basis of the following deeply flawed syllogism (Life Extension, pp. 120-124):

Centrophenoxine removes lipofuscin (false premise)
Age spots are lipofuscin (false premise).
---> Therefore, centrophenoxine removes age spots (logically valid conclusion from false premises)
---> And we've got us some anecdotal evidence to prove it!! (Bad science).

Then, it was picked up endlessly repeated by people who have read their book and their descendents in the life extension community (and more importantly, by companies selling centrophenoxine and DMAE supplements) in an endless echo chamber, like the idea that inositol will help you sleep, or so much other nonsense (as well as reasonable 1980s-era speculations that were subsequently disproved but still passed on as known facts) in their book.
  • like x 5

#43 albedo

• 2,069 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

I was user of LEF's DMAE and European centrophenoxine but stopped for both simply cost reasons and as evidence seems based on old studies and not really impressive. I mostly tried them for the supposed effects on cognition. I am not saying it is worthless and would like to see more studies.
This is from one of the DMAE seller sites: http://www.lef.org/m...2004_aas_01.htm

#44 albedo

• 2,069 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Also discussed here: http://www.longecity..._30#entry516828

#45 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I've simply mixed some Centrophenoxine and Ascorbylphosphate with Coconut and Jojoba oil. Not sure if this is the best cream (micronization etc. would probaby enhance bioavailabilty). Now I am just going to try on different spots (before/after photographs) to see what happens topically. That's a 1$ experiment. Not expecting anything.
I am also curious about this product, based on the list of ingredients:
http://www.swansonvi...reme-2-oz-cream

#46 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Just my 2 cents to explain the longer lifespan of donors. :)

http://usatoday30.us...life-usat_x.htm

The study followed 423 couples for five years. All of the men were at least 65 years old. At the start, participants were asked if they'd given or received emotional or practical help in the past year. Five years later, those who said they'd helped others were half as likely to have died, says University of Michigan psychologist Stephanie Brown. Her study will appear in Psychological Science next year.

To make sure that "givers" weren't healthier at the outset, researchers took into account their physical and emotional health. They also adjusted for age and gender, smoking, drinking and exercise habits, and personality qualities linked to longevity. There was still a strong tie between giving and staying alive, Brown says. But receiving did not prolong life.

• like x 1

#47 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

I've simply mixed some Centrophenoxine and Ascorbylphosphate with Coconut and Jojoba oil. Not sure if this is the best cream (micronization etc. would probaby enhance bioavailabilty). Now I am just going to try on different spots (before/after photographs) to see what happens topically. That's a 1$ experiment. Not expecting anything.
I am also curious about this product, based on the list of ingredients:
http://www.swansonvi...reme-2-oz-cream

I have used the 1$ mix a couple of weeks and also Swanson's mild product. I haven't noticed a difference with these dark spots with the mix nor the cream.

I've recently tried a product called Mole and Wart Removal which is quite invasive but seems to do the job. I am not sure if it leaves any scars but so far everything is healing well. You just need to apply a sticker with a hole to focus on the mole (I don't have warts) and really work with something very abrasive before applying the harsh MWR herbal extract. The stinging sensation lasts about a minute, and there a scab after 24h, falling off after 1 weeks.

Edited by DorianGrey, 09 September 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#48 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

This 2008 review details the then known interventions to slow lipofuscin accumulation:

Sulzer, David, et al. "Neuronal pigmented autophagic vacuoles: lipofuscin, neuromelanin, and ceroid as macroautophagic responses during aging and disease." Journal of neurochemistry 106.1 (2008): 24-36.

If lysosomes do not degrade the pigments, how might the accumulation of pigmented AVs be slowed or reversed? One approach is to use drugs to inhibit cytosolic precursors, as seen with cysteamine, a small aminothiol that may decrease substrate accumulation resulting from the CLN1 mutation, although this compound may work additionally as an inhibitor for transglutaminase and other enzymes. The drug centrophenoxine, also a thiol anti-oxidant and structurally similar compounds were found long ago to inhibit LF in neurons and have been used to treat Alzheimer’s and senile dementia. Anti-oxidants including red wine – but for some reason not port wine! – seem to block LF formation at steps prior to AV accumulation, as do lipoic acid and carnitine dietary supplementation. As mentioned, VMAT2 over-expression decreases cytosolic precursors to halt l-DOPA induced NM synthesis by decreasing dopamine in the cytosol.

Amino acid starvation or caloric restriction is well known to enhance macroautophagy within lysosomes and could contribute to degrading AV pigments that are still subject to lysosomal breakdown, as could macroautophagy activators including the mTOR inhibitor rapamycin. Vitamin C expedites lysosomal protein degradation and reverses the accumulation of AVs in astrocytes apparently via enhancement of lysosomal acidification and enhancement of fusion, whereas dietary ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids are reported to enhance lysosomal degradation and possibly prevent pigmented AVs and macular degeneration in monkeys.

Edited by Darryl, 10 September 2013 - 07:27 PM.

• like x 2

#49 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

ALCAR
ALCAR (acetyl-L-carnitine) has shown to stop the lipofuscin deposition in the cytoplasm of pyramidal neurons of rat prefrontal cortex and hippocampus (CA3 field) [2]. The effect of the ALCAR in rats has been shown also from another team [3]. Review of scientific literature also shows, that the acetyl - L - carnitine have an effect over the lipofuscin accumulation in rodens [4].

Not sure if I completely understand the age-related macular degeneration study below but I think it suggests that AICAR (not ALCAR) in combination with the peptide MG132 might have some effectiveness at preventing retinal damage associated with lipofuscin accumulation by means of clearing the drusen proteins that accompany it:

Autophagy Activation Clears ELAVL1/HuR-Mediated Accumulation of SQSTM1/p62 during Proteasomal Inhibition in Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells

The degeneration of retinal pigment epithelial cells (RPE) causes secondarily adverse effects on neural retina leading to visual loss. The aging characteristics of the RPE involve lysosomal accumulation of lipofuscin and extracellular protein aggregates called “drusen”. Molecular mechanisms behind protein aggregations are weakly understood. There is intriguing evidence suggesting that protein SQSTM1/p62, together with autophagy, has a role in the pathology of different degenerative diseases. It appears that SQSTM1/p62 is a connecting link between autophagy and proteasome mediated proteolysis, and expressed strongly under the exposure to various oxidative stimuli and proteasomal inhibition. ELAVL1/HuR protein is a post-transcriptional factor, which acts mainly as a positive regulator of gene expression by binding to specific mRNAs whose corresponding proteins are fundamental for key cellular functions. We here show that, under proteasomal inhibitor MG-132, ELAVL1/HuR is up-regulated at both mRNA and protein levels, and that this protein binds and post-transcriptionally regulates SQSTM1/p62 mRNA in ARPE-19 cell line. Furthermore, we observed that proteasomal inhibition caused accumulation of SQSTM1/p62 bound irreversibly to perinuclear protein aggregates. The addition of the AMPK activator AICAR was pro-survival and promoted cleansing by autophagy of the former complex, but not of the ELAVL1/HuR accumulation, indeed suggesting that SQSTM1/p62 is decreased through autophagy-mediated degradation, while ELAVL1/HuR through the proteasomal pathway. Interestingly, when compared to human controls, AMD donor samples show strong SQSTM1/p62 rather than ELAVL1/HuR accumulation in the drusen rich macular area suggesting impaired autophagy in the pathology of AMD.
In particular, as shown in Figure 1A, the proteasome inhibitor MG-132 significantly increased total SQSTM1/p62 protein levels, while concomitant treatment with MG-132 and AICAR robustly decreased SQSTM1/p62 protein levels. In contrast, no difference in SQSTM1/p62 protein levels was detected after exposure to AICAR alone (Fig. 1A).

Howard

#50 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:13 AM

so, 6 years later, any progress on figuring out best most reliable thing to do for lipofuscin accumulation?

how does centrophenoxine stand out 6 years later. it seems nobody talks about it or uses it anymore. is there some truth to this?

very good interesting thread btw, i wish it returns back to discussion :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#51 Oakman

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

so, 6 years later, any progress on figuring out best most reliable thing to do for lipofuscin accumulation?

how does centrophenoxine stand out 6 years later. it seems nobody talks about it or uses it anymore. is there some truth to this?

very good interesting thread btw, i wish it returns back to discussion :)

I started using it recently for its purported mental effects, just in case. Lipofuscin action would be an unintended bonus, I don't have much encouragement from this thread about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users