- - - - -

Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:56 AM

I saw this new form listed at LEF.org.
I would never purchase anything from LEF, as it is way too expensive.
Let's not name names, but perhaps a few of the vitamin/nootropic suppliers would carry this product?

Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate

Item Catalog Number: 757
The acetylated form of L-carnitine (acetyl-L-carnitine) facilitates the synthesis and release of acetylcholine by donating its acetyl group to be used in the production of acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter. Acetyl-L-carnitine also enhances the release of dopamine from neurons and helps it bind to dopamine receptors.* Numerous human and animal studies validate the multiple beneficial mechanisms that acetyl-L-carnitine exerts in the brain.

The amino acid acetyl-L-carnitine boosts mitochondrial energy production through its ability to facilitate fatty acid transport and oxidation in the cell.*

Since 1995, Life Extension members have been supplementing with acetyl-L-carnitine and deriving the many benefits this form of carnitine has shown in published studies. With the discovery of acetyl-L-carnitine arginate, the benefits of acetyl-L-carnitine can now be greatly augmented.

Acetl-L-carnitine arginate is a patented form of carnitine that stimulates the growth of neuritis in the brain. Studies show that acetyl-L-carnitine arginate stimulates the growth of new neurites by 19.5 percent, as much as nerve growth factor itself. Acetyl-L-carnitine arginate acts together with acetyl-L-carnitine to increase neurite growth.1

1 Taglialatela G, Navarra D, Olivi A, et al, Neurite outgrowth

#2 stellar

• Topic Starter
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:57 AM

1: Neurochem Res. 1995 Jan;20(1):1-9. Related Articles, Links

Neurite outgrowth in PC12 cells stimulated by acetyl-L-carnitine arginine amide.

Taglialatela G, Navarra D, Olivi A, Ramacci MT, Werrbach-Perez K, Perez-Polo JR, Angelucci L.

Institute for Research on Senescence Sigma-Tau, Pomezia, Italy.

Senescence of the central nervous system is characterized by a progressive loss of neurons that can result in physiological and behavioral impairments. Reduction in the levels of central neurotrophic factors or of neurotrophin receptors may be one of the causes of the onset of these degenerative events. Thus, a proper therapeutic approach would be to increase support to degenerating neurons with trophic factors or to stimulate endogenous neurotrophic activity. Here we report that acetyl-L-carnitine arginine amide (ST-857) is able to stimulate neurite outgrowth in rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells in a manner similar to that elicited by nerve growth factor (NGF). Neurite induction by ST-857 requires de novo mRNA synthesis and is independent of the action of several common trophic factors. The integrity of the molecular structure of ST-857 is essential for its activity, as the single moieties of the molecule have no effect on PC12 cells, whether they are tested separately or together. Also, minor chemical modifications of ST-857, such as the presence of the arginine moiety at a position other than the amino one, completely abolish its neuritogenic effect. Lastly, the presence of ST-857 in the culture medium competes with the high affinity NGF binding in a dose dependent fashion. These results, although preliminary, are suggestive of a possible role for ST-857 in the development of therapeutic strategies to counteract degenerative diseases of the CNS.

PMID: 7739750 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:53 PM

Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate Dihydrochloride...I cannot find a bulk source of this patented product. Does anybody know where we can purchase Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate Dihydrochloride in bulk?

Thanks.

• Lurker

Posted 28 November 2004 - 07:02 PM

There is no bulk source of Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, unless it's directly sourced from China.

LEF offers a very expensive bottled capped version.

#5 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:07 AM

There is no bulk source of Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, unless it's directly sourced from China.

LEF offers a very expensive bottled capped version.

Rizzer?

• Lurker

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:26 AM

Not as of yet, although we could request it I suppose.

#7 omega_rage

• 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:02 PM

Sounds interesting.

What is the difference between neurites and dendrites, or are they one in the same?

#8 stellar

• Topic Starter
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:44 AM

I realize ALCAR-arginate hasn't been 'widely' studied, but LEF has a feature article on it that you should read

"Acetyl-l-carnitine by itself stimulates neurite growth after 5 days by 5.6%. Acetyl-l-carnitine-arginate, on the other hand, stimulates neurite outgrowth in the same time period by 19.5%…a more than three-fold increase!"

"An equally impressive finding was the average length of the neurites produced by the acetyl-carnitine-arginate—21% longer than in the acetyl-l-carnitine-only group."

"When scientists compared the effects of acetyl-l-carnitine and arginine, the mixture gave the same growth results as acetyl carnitine by itself, i.e. 5.2%. This study showed that acetyl-l-carntine-arginate induced 3.48 times more neurite growth compared to acetyl-l-carnitine mixed with arginine."

#9 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:17 AM

And by a happy coincidence they sell the stuff too!

#10 stellar

• Topic Starter
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:18 AM

And by a happy coincidence they sell the stuff too!

Scottl, those have footnotes, they're from the studies which LEF is citing.

#11 ozone

• 150 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:34 AM

http://www.emersonec...?BrowseBy=ALCA3

Read the label on the bottle.

Your dick and your brain. What else could you want in a pill? [tung]

#12 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:57 AM

Stellar,

I am aware and was (half) joking.

LEF sells supps and is not an unbaised source of info. Overall much of their stuff is pretty good, but I've caught errors in their articles. Emerson ecologics is a somewhat more credible reference, though I'd still like to see a bit more in the way of confirmation.

It is hard to imagine that an arginine derivative could be harmful, but in general I feel no need to live on the cutting (AKA bleeding) edge and am generally more conservative in my recommendations.

#13 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:56 AM

Google and medline shows virtually nothing for this item.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 yborcity

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

let's dig this interesting  post out of its' 10 year grave into the spolight. :laugh:

Alcetyl l carnitine arginate is now widely available from many reliable sources, any of you have used it with benefits?

It would be nice if anyone could share their experience on it since 2004.

Any improvements in your ngf enhancements? hard to measure by itself i know but many have experienced better cognitive enhancements.

Rita Levi-Montalcini , the now deceased italian lady that discovered nfg along  with stanley cohen back in the 1950's, took nfg eye drops for years and that probably explained her sharpness and brain longevity, i do not know  tough if it is related to acetyl l carnintine arginate.

Edited by yborcity, 15 December 2014 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users