Photo
- - - - -

Just how dangerous can NADH be?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

NADH is a supplement that is decribed as a biological rocket fuel. Common sense finds that description rather believable as it essentially a hydrogen donator with one step away from the formation of our "molecular unit of energy currency" ATP from ADP (that is, if my understanding is correct), but embarassingly many times my common sense has failed me when it comes to supplements. Not in this case however, as NADH (10 mg sublingual) still remains as the single most powerful stimulant I've ever taken. By far.

The times I've taken NADH can be counted with the fingers of one hand (non-mutant) and that's because there is also very convincing theoretical and partly empirical basis to believe it is harmful because of the creation of extracellular superoxide radicals.

Things being so convoluted as I have found during the years they are are in vivo, I would now assume there's a possibility that NADH supplementation may not be harmful after all, or that it may even prove to have some yet undiscovered benefit in regards to anti-aging powers, such as through hormesis.

A lucky chap that I am, the most likely scenario now is that I buy a year's supply of that darned enticer only to come across a study next day of rats fed with NADH that all died from the combination of tongue chewing and alzheimer's, and the next most likely scenario is that I don't buy and the study I come across states what a miracle cure for aging NADH is, find the reasearchers working for a company that has patented it as a ultra expensive prescription-only medication. That's why I'm asking from you who have more insight into these things that just how well established is it that NADH is bad?

Edited by Dorho, 09 February 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

NADH supplements have been around a long time, over 20 years. If they were beneficial, I suspect a lot more people would be taking them. Most try them and go on to other fads.

Genes Dev. 2004 Jan 1;18(1):12-6.
Calorie restriction extends yeast life span by lowering the level of NADH.
Lin SJ, Ford E, Haigis M, Liszt G, Guarente L.

Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA. slin@ucdavis.edu
Abstract
Calorie restriction (CR) extends life span in a wide variety of species. Previously, we showed that calorie restriction increases the replicative life span in yeast by activating Sir2, a highly conserved NAD-dependent deacetylase. Here we test whether CR activates Sir2 by increasing the NAD/NADH ratio or by regulating the level of nicotinamide, a known inhibitor of Sir2. We show that CR decreases NADH levels, and that NADH is a competitive inhibitor of Sir2. A genetic intervention that specifically decreases NADH levels increases life span, validating the model that NADH regulates yeast longevity in response to CR.

PMID: 14724176 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]PMCID: PMC314267 Free PMC Article

Edited by maxwatt, 09 February 2011 - 04:13 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorho

• Topic Starter
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

NADH supplements have been around a long time, over 20 years. If they were beneficial, I suspect a lot more people would be taking them. Most try them and go on to other fads.

I don't know if I should look into some possible explanations why I respond so well to NADH and try to fix the possible underlying issue. But really, I took NADH yesterday after a long break and fealt really energetic, one indicator of my higher state being that I achieved a new high score in an online brain game that tests five different areas of cognitive function. The downside was that I had extremely vivid dreams and woke up drenched in sweat.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

It is used by a lot of people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS)and it does improve energy. I have tried it and it did give me more energy, like a B-12 sublingual. People with CFIDS typical feel that it helps them "a little", it is not miraculous for their energy or their immune systems, but I haven't heard of negative reactions either. I think B-12 subliguals will give you more bang for your buck, but I don't think it is harmful. Indeed, I'd say the CFIDS patients who have been responders to it feel it has improved their health to a degree.

Nick Delgado has a product called "Power and Speed", which is some kind of nitrogen product. It will give you tons of energy like speed (or so I imagine) for a few hours (at least with my limited occasional usage). It could be more accurately described as a "biological rocket fuel", in my experience. I have the same questions about it as described above for NADH, but I'd speculate NADH is actually a lot safer. Delgado is in his early 50s and has a world record for some fitness lifting records, and not just within his age group (which impresses me). I've met him and he is largely vegetarian and also looks extremely healthy. Unlike many vegetarians who strive to be so natural that it is detrimental to their health, Delgado believes in whole foods and hormone supplementation. He takes a lot of hormones, but supposedly not steroids, which he rails against (but does he do bio-identical testosterone in physiological doses?).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users