* * * * * 1 votes

Earthing/grounding

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Donnie

• 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Has anyone heard of it?

I came across their research page and found it quite interesting. Makes sense in paleo terms. I can't comment much on the science though.

The normal inflammatory response is, in part, a burst of free radicals produced
by the immune system in response to an injury. This natural production of free
radicals occurs to prevent infection and to promote healing at a site of injury.
In simple terms, a free radical is an electrically charged particle. This electrical
charge occurs because the free radical is missing an electron. To become
stabilized, a free radical must "steal" its missing electron from another
molecule. When the electron is stolen from an invader (e.g., bacteria), the
invader's molecular structure is damaged, which leads to its death (as intended
by the immune system). When there are no invaders left to destroy and when
there is a lack of electrons available from antioxidants to stabilize excess free
radicals, free radicals then turn to the only other source from which they can
steal electrons - healthy cells. The resulting damage to and death of healthy
cells, from loss of electrons to free radicals, further signals the immune system
for additional help.

Shielding, via grounding, allows the body to have all of its electrons available to carry on their normal functions in the body, which include the
stabilization of excess free radicals.

Quotes from "Grounding the Human Body to Earth Reduces Chronic Inflammation and Related Chronic Pain"

More of their research here.

#2 Sciolaro

• 38 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:47 AM

I've been using a grounding pad for several months. It's normalized my sleep schedule, and I believe it has reduced DOMS duration and severity.

The science isn't well developed, but what studies (12 peer reviewed, I believe) have demonstrated is quite impressive (increasing cell's zeta potential, decreasing blood viscosity, normalizing cortisol).

#3 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

i think the shoe industry will supress it
  • Cheerful x 2
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JD.

• 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:20 AM

My BS detector is going off like crazy...

Still, I have heard some crazy stuff about outdoor exposure. Like in this article http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17903349

I'm thinking this is all just due to psychological effects though.

#5 Ambidestrian

• 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:11 AM

In addition to the psychological benefits, there could also have been some increase in immune activity due to an increase in exposure to foreign bacteria, allergens, viruses, fungi, and other life forms found in the forest. These people were taken from a heavily urbanized area to the forest...

Still, I have heard some crazy stuff about outdoor exposure. Like in this article http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17903349

I'm thinking this is all just due to psychological effects though.

#6 Sciolaro

• 38 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

There are double blind placebo trials confirming certain changes in cortisol levels (among other things). These are typically performed with earthing pads within the confines of a home. The results are not explained by outdoor exposure.

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

There are double blind placebo trials confirming certain changes in cortisol levels (among other things). These are typically performed with earthing pads within the confines of a home. The results are not explained by outdoor exposure.

i'm interested in reading these studies if you can post them. also any theory on how and why it works.

#8 Donnie

• Topic Starter
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

i think the shoe industry will supress it

Why? Think about the sales potential for the first 'grounding shoe'.
Then double that number when they start selling it in pairs.

i'm interested in reading these studies if you can post them. also any theory on how and why it works.

You really should read the very first post of the thread :)

Edited by Donnie, 11 April 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#9 Sciolaro

• 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

The mechanism is explained here. It's surprisingly intuitive.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18047442

I don't know that this was double-blind, but the results suggest causation independent of psychosomatic processes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15650465

This is cited for the proposition that it improves sleep, but I can't get the contents to display (and I don't recall the specifics).
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15650460

FWIW, I consider myself a highly skeptical individual, and I've given into this. Although it's obviously within our adaptive capacity to be perpetually insulated from the earth's electricity, I can't help but believe that we do better if we regularly contact the earth.

There's a book on the subject (http://www.amazon.co...02572693&sr=8-1), but I don't recommend it unless you're desperate for more information. It's a bit repetitive and full of anecdotes.

Edited by Sciolaro, 12 April 2011 - 01:46 AM.

• Agree x 1

#10 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

Ditto. I'd bet a million bucks this is all due to the placebo effect.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#11 Sciolaro

• 38 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:19 AM

Ditto. I'd bet a million bucks this is all due to the placebo effect.

Fair enough, but you really ought to review some of the purported evidence and proposed mechanisms. We didn't evolve in an insulated environment.

#12 Watdh

• 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

I got 1 of the "earthing kits" because of my electrical hypersensitivity, not for anything else.

I put the grounding sheet on my bed. Really was not expecting the results I got- 1) After playing a 2 hour phyically demanding tennis match on hard courts the night before I got up the next day not sore at all, the next night I played mixed doubles & was definitly expecting a sore wrist, elbow & shoulder day but didn't have any of that. 2) I drink lots of water with my meds I take at night & no matter how active I've been I make at least 1 trip to the bathroom at night but sleeping grounded I haven't had to get up & go :)

It sounds crazy. :unsure: Next week I'm going skiing & the grounding sheet is going with me! I know I won't be able to ground to the earth but hopefully Harrah's will have a grounded plug I can use!
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

I was initially going to ascribe this to the placebo effect. The quoted text in the first post seemed bogus to me, in that radical formation in the body is not likely to generate significant charges. However, I found this paper. It should be taken with a grain of salt, because the authors seem to be 'true believers', and in particular, three of them have some sort of connection to a firm that probably sells grounding mats or some such thing. Nevertheless, they point out some very interesting research, including double blind tests that looked at hard clinical variables. I tend to doubt that free radicals have much to do with this, but consider the following:

In our modern environment, it is easy to build up large static charges. When your finger arcs to the ground screw on a light switch on a dry day, that is probably in the kilovolt range. On an average day when you aren't arcing left and right, you might have static charges of tens or hundreds of volts. Grounding eliminates this.

Our indoor environment is saturated with 60Hz EMF, and this induces charge displacements in our bodies. Grounding reduces them by orders of magnitude.

Because proteins typically have a lot of charged amino acids, they sometimes have astronomical dipole moments. Although these are greatly attenuated by nearby counterions, those counterions are solvent encased and mobile. The net result of this situation might be significant motion induced in some proteins in an electric field.

Voltage gated ion channels may behave differently in an external electric field.

We evolved over millions of years in a near-constant state of electrical connection to the Earth, which serves as an electron reservoir. Only in the relatively recent past have we achieved an almost constant state of isolation from ground as well as being subject to ever high static and dynamic electric fields. This is due to the recent introduction of sealed home construction, central heating and air conditioning, synthetic fibers, and insulating footware. All of these are phenomena of only the last 50-60 years, in terms of widespread adoption.

So here's an interesting review of this "Earthing" business. Abstract Free Full Text.

J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:291541. Epub 2012 Jan 12.
Earthing: health implications of reconnecting the human body to the Earth's surface electrons.
Chevalier G, Sinatra ST, Oschman JL, Sokal K, Sokal P.

Developmental and Cell Biology Department, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA. dlbogc@sbcglobal.net

Environmental medicine generally addresses environmental factors with a negative impact on human health. However, emerging scientific research has revealed a surprisingly positive and overlooked environmental factor on health: direct physical contact with the vast supply of electrons on the surface of the Earth. Modern lifestyle separates humans from such contact. The research suggests that this disconnect may be a major contributor to physiological dysfunction and unwellness. Reconnection with the Earth's electrons has been found to promote intriguing physiological changes and subjective reports of well-being. Earthing (or grounding) refers to the discovery of benefits-including better sleep and reduced pain-from walking barefoot outside or sitting, working, or sleeping indoors connected to conductive systems that transfer the Earth's electrons from the ground into the body. This paper reviews the earthing research and the potential of earthing as a simple and easily accessed global modality of significant clinical importance.

PMID: 22291721 PMCID: PMC3265077

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#14 Watdh

• 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thanks niner!

This weekend I'm playing in a tennis tournament. If I play more than 2 matches tomorrow & I'm not sore Sunday I'll really be sold on grounding. It does make me feel "warm" like to the point of being hot & I had to turn the air down to be comfortable. I might add that the 1st night I didn't sleep well at all, maybe that's because I was hot & kicking off the covers. (once you get hot in a Temperpedic bed your toast, or roasted, if you know anything about them) The second night I slept better & the 3rd I slept really good. I've never had high blood pressure, blood sugar or arthritis so I can't really factor in any of those benefits.

If your curious enough you can rig up one of the homemade systems by attaching a copper wire to yourself attaching it to a copper pipe in some moist ground give it a try & see what you think. When I 1st checked mine to see if I was getting a ground I was running the wire outside a door that was near electrical stuff & about 35 yards from power lines & it never showed a ground. Then I ran the wire out another door to the front of the house away from anything electrical & got a ground. So if you do try the homemade system make sure your ground pipe is away from anything electrical. They put an emphasis on keeping the soil around the ground rod moist.

PS.Yesterday on the way to my 99 year old aunts funeral we were discussing life w/o electricity & my 82 year old Dad talked about having to go outside and pour water on the ground rod they had hooked up to their battery powered radio so they could hear the radio better.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

If your curious enough you can rig up one of the homemade systems by attaching a copper wire to yourself attaching it to a copper pipe in some moist ground give it a try & see what you think. When I 1st checked mine to see if I was getting a ground I was running the wire outside a door that was near electrical stuff & about 35 yards from power lines & it never showed a ground. Then I ran the wire out another door to the front of the house away from anything electrical & got a ground. So if you do try the homemade system make sure your ground pipe is away from anything electrical. They put an emphasis on keeping the soil around the ground rod moist.

PS.Yesterday on the way to my 99 year old aunts funeral we were discussing life w/o electricity & my 82 year old Dad talked about having to go outside and pour water on the ground rod they had hooked up to their battery powered radio so they could hear the radio better.

The electrical system in my house (like most houses) is hooked up to the cold water supply pipe. If everything is working right, then every electrical outlet should have a valid ground. It's that 'everything working right' part that worries me; what if it isn't, and the 'ground' turns into a hot line? But it should certainly be possible to get it right, and I'd like to give it a try. I'm pretty sure I have an outlet tester somewhere, so I should be able to figure out if I have a ground. My wife has paranoias about virtually everything that is even remotely related to something that could possibly be hazardous, so if she sees me with a ground strap on my arm and a wire stuck in an outlet, well, that's going to be amusing.

My 95 year old aunt once lived in a house with no electricity. My wife's grandparents once lived in a sod house with a dirt floor!

#16 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Here's something interesting (hopefully valid too).

One of the most dramatic demonstrations of the benefits of grounding is the effect it has on the blood. On the right are darkfield microscope images of blood taken from three individuals just before and after forty minutes of grounding. The before images are on the left, the after on the right. The pictures clearly show a dramatic thinning and decoupling of the blood cells.

http://www.groundolo...ic_research.php

The Biologic Effects of Grounding the Human Body During Sleep as Measured by Cortisol Levels and Subjective Reporting

of Sleep, Pain, and Stress

Objectives: Diurnal cortisol secretion levels were measured and circadian cortisol profiles were evaluated

in a pilot study conducted to test the hypothesis that grounding the human body to earth* during sleep will result

in quantifiable changes in cortisol. It was also hypothesized that grounding the human body would result

in changes in sleep, pain, and stress (anxiety, depression, irritability), as measured by subjective reporting.

Subjects and Interventions: Twelve (12) subjects with complaints of sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress were

grounded to earth during sleep for 8 weeks in their own beds using a conductive mattress pad. Saliva tests were

administered to establish pregrounding baseline cortisol levels. Levels were obtained at 4-hour intervals for a

24-hour period to determine the circadian cortisol profile. Cortisol testing was repeated at week 6. Subjective

symptoms of sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress were reported daily throughout the 8-week test period.

Results: Measurable improvements in diurnal cortisol profiles were observed, with cortisol levels significantly

reduced during night-time sleep. Subjects’ 24-hour circadian cortisol profiles showed a trend toward normalization.

Subjectively reported symptoms, including sleep dysfunction, pain, and stress, were reduced or eliminated

in nearly all subjects.

Conclusions: Results indicate that grounding the human body to earth (“earthing”) during sleep reduces

night-time levels of cortisol and resynchronizes cortisol hormone secretion more in alignment with the natural

24-hour circadian rhythm profile. Changes were most apparent in females. Furthermore, subjective reporting

indicates that grounding the human body to earth during sleep improves sleep and reduces pain and stress.

http://www.earthingi..._study_2004.pdf

#17 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

People who walk barefoot on the ground their entire life (I spent half my life barefoot)....still die. Just had to mention that so everyone doesn't get their priorities out of whack.

The large static shocks are usually transient and occur mostly in very dry climates or in the winter. Most of us are well grounded most of the time even when wearing shoes. Still, I would be willing to try anything in order to get better sleep, even if it is just placebo. I wouldn't buy an expensive pad, probably just hook myself up to the (electrical) ground of my house somehow.
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#18 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I wouldn't buy an expensive pad, probably just hook myself up to the (electrical) ground of my house somehow.

I can see a lot of people electrocuting themselves using this idea, it would be a VERY good/prudent idea to have some sort of safety mechanism/box to stop a short circuit from short circuiting one's heart along with the fuses on the main system. Best of all would be if this box could also check whether the ground wire is actually earthed correctly (in quite a few houses this is not the case). The manual way to test this would be to acquire a so-called pig-tail electrical tester - do not wire copper into ground outlet and wrap around (argh!) wrist without testing this stuff first!!
  • dislike x 1
  • Informative x 1

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

The large static shocks are usually transient and occur mostly in very dry climates or in the winter.

That's what I used to think. When I built a new computer a while back, I learned a little more about this. Static charges are bigger problem than the ones that arc to ground. We spend a lot of time with lower levels of static charge that aren't enough to arc but are still significant, like say a hundred volts.

Most of us are well grounded most of the time even when wearing shoes.

How does that work? Where is the path to ground? Maybe in a steamy bathroom, but if you are wearing insulating shoes, as most are these days, I just don't see how we could be well grounded.
  • like x 1

#20 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was a skeptic at first but now I'm starting to Believe.

I particularly like "about the mechanisms of effect" part (p. 26 - >) of the following slide show

Voltage Transients and Health - Is There a Connection?

http://www.slideshar...nection-3605746

The effect of earthing (grounding) on human physiology

Abstract
Previous research (12) showed that connecting the human body to the earth during sleep normalizes circadian cortisol profiles and reduces or eliminates various subjectively reported symptoms, including sleep dysfunction, pain and stress. We therefore hypothesized that earthing might also influence other aspects of physiology. Fifty-eight healthy adult subjects (30 controls) participated in a double blind pilot study. Earthing was accomplished with a conductive adhesive patch placed on the sole of each foot. An earthing cord led outdoors to a rod driven into the earth. A biofeedback system recorded electrophysiological and physiological parameters. Upon earthing, about half the experimental subjects showed an abrupt, almost instantaneous change in root mean square (rms) values of electroencephalograms (EEG) from the left hemisphere (but not the right hemisphere) and all of them presented an abrupt change in rms values of surface electromyograms (SEMGs) from right and left upper trapezius muscles. Signal variance in rms muscle potentials also increased significantly. Earthing decreased blood volume pulse (BVP) in 19 of 22 experimental subjects (p < 0.001) and in 8 of 30 controls (p 0.1, not significant); heart rate (HR) was not affected. From these results, it appears that earthing the human body has significant effects on electrophysiological properties of the brain and musculature, on the blood volume pulse, and on the noise and stability of electrophysiological recordings. Taken together, the changes in EEG, EMG, and BVP suggest reductions in overall stress levels and tensions, and a shift in autonomic balance upon earthing. The results therefore extend theconclusions of the previous study.

http://www.earthingi...gy_2006_pt1.pdf

Edited by GhostBuster, 18 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#21 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

I wouldn't buy an expensive pad, probably just hook myself up to the (electrical) ground of my house somehow.

I can see a lot of people electrocuting themselves using this idea, it would be a VERY good/prudent idea to have some sort of safety mechanism/box to stop a short circuit from short circuiting one's heart along with the fuses on the main system. Best of all would be if this box could also check whether the ground wire is actually earthed correctly (in quite a few houses this is not the case). The manual way to test this would be to acquire a so-called pig-tail electrical tester - do not wire copper into ground outlet and wrap around (argh!) wrist without testing this stuff first!!

Is that equivalent to earthing outlet checkers, for example this:
http://www.waterfall...cker_p/0024.htm

Edited by GhostBuster, 18 March 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#22 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

The large static shocks are usually transient and occur mostly in very dry climates or in the winter.

That's what I used to think. When I built a new computer a while back, I learned a little more about this. Static charges are bigger problem than the ones that arc to ground. We spend a lot of time with lower levels of static charge that aren't enough to arc but are still significant, like say a hundred volts.

Most of us are well grounded most of the time even when wearing shoes.

How does that work? Where is the path to ground? Maybe in a steamy bathroom, but if you are wearing insulating shoes, as most are these days, I just don't see how we could be well grounded.

I don't generally wear shoes in the shower. ;)

We ground ourselves by touching things constantly. Humid air also reduces some of the extreme charges. I am not a total skeptic here, because we are not as grounded as our caveman ancestors, but people have been wearing shoes and living in houses for centuries yet life span keeps increasing, so one wouldn't figure it to be a MAJOR health problem.
  • Informative x 1

#23 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

grounded relative to what? Floating grounds are effective in many electrical circuits.