Some Information on Photoprotection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

Sunscreen
I've been looking for a new sunscreen and just came upon some useful information that I thought I would post up. Here is a chart listing all the usual ingredients found in sunscreens (but it doesn't contain TinosorbS+M): Textbook of Aging Skin By Miranda A. Farage pg 433 (Google Book Link). If you look at the benzophenones it states that up to 10% can be found in the urine (the aminobenzoates should be something to stay clear of too). This list looks like it only provides ingredients FDA approved. So its not quite complete.

So looking for tinosorb I found this book in French: Photodermatologie: photobiologie cutanée, photoprotection et photothérapie By Christophe Bédane (google book link). It doesn't offer any comments in the chart, I'm sure there is a discussion in the text but I don't read French (despite many years of French class)

Here is another French text with some products and their ingredients. It seems they did a study on them but I don't have access to the whole book.

This is a very good textbook that I am thinking of getting from the library to read: Sunlight, vitamin D and skin cancer By Jörg Reichrath (Google Book Link). Reading from p147 it discusses the dangers of organic ingredients which could not only transmit the UV energy but can be absorbed into the system and also increase the absorption of other organic agents:

Besides their proper dermal penetration, organic UV filters have been shown to enhance topical penetration of herbicides and insecticides. This has been demonstrated for the herbicides 2,4-dichlo-rophenoxyacetic acid and paraquat and for the insecticides parathion and malathion. The filters OD-PABA, OMC, homosalate, octyl saUcylate, octocrylene, oxybenzone and benzophenone-4 (molecules from 5 different chemical subgroups of organic UVB filters) were tested in a mouse model and in human split skin in vitro. All but octocylene were found to increase cutaneous penetration of the applied herbicides and insecticides. This finding is particularly alarming for agricultural workers using pesticides who are encouraged to wear sunscreens for their outdoor work and for fair-skinned individuals firom the temperate zone who seek to protect themselves
during a stay in tropical countries from both intense sunUght and insect attack.

The author also recommends that these ingredients don't be used on children because of their thin stratum corneum. Doesn't retin-a thin that part of the skin?

Nano-material (http://books.google....epage&q&f=false). I think its been mentioned that we should probably stay away from nano-zinc and tiO. Possible cytotoxicity and also skews protection towards UVB instead of UVA.

Clothing

This isn't something mentioned very often but there are factors that contribute to the UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) (source) [Photoaging By Darrell S. Rigel]

Also has anyone seen Tinosorb in laundry detergent??

#2 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

Biosci Trends. 2011 Feb;5(1):23-9.Nrf2-mediated protection against UVA radiation in human skin keratinocytes.Tian FF, Zhang FF, Lai XD, Wang LJ, Yang L, Wang X, Singh G, Zhong JL.

...These results suggest that decreased Nrf2 significantly increased UVA irradiation-induced cell damage in skin keratinocytes. Nrf2 may play a role in protecting human skin keratinocytes from UVA radiation-induced damage.

Anyone know how to activate Nrf2 in the skin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users