• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

I'll donate $20 if you donate $20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Since the fundraiser is now almost done I thought we could wrap it up and finish the job in one final blow. If we got 62 people to donate $20 we would be able to finish the contest. I'm sure there are at least 62 people here that could spare $20. Even I'm able to spare $20 and I'm a currently unemployed highschool student. So who's in?

List of who's in:

1. The Immortalist
2. GoodFellas
3. Brokenportal
4. Brokenportal
5. Brokenportal
6. Brokenportal
7. Brokenportal
8. ShannonVyff
9. Odestoteles
10. Odestoteles
11. Odestoteles
12. Odestoteles
13. Odestoteles
14. thughes
15. Florin Clapa
16. Link

Edited by brokenportal, 20 May 2011 - 09:54 PM.

• like x 3

#2 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm in: GoodFellas
  • like x 2

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Mark me down for 5 of them.
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Mark me down for 5 of them.

I can't edit it now. Do you mind if you edit everyone who's in?
  • like x 1

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

This is a great idea, and if anyone is willing to also donate twenty dollars, just add your name to this thread stating so--and it will be edited into the original post's list :) I'm off to donate my twenty now :)
  • like x 2

#6 Odestoteles

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

I can take 5 places.
  • like x 2

#7 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Sure.
- Tracy
  • like x 2

#8 Florin

• 850 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm in.

• like x 2

#9 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

bump

#10 Link

• 120 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:08 AM

Count me in.
  • like x 1

#11 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

This is of course, for this research here: http://www.imminst.org/Research2010B

Please ask a friend to donate too.
  • like x 1

#12 Odestoteles

• 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

I just donated $100, so I consider my parts done.
  • like x 2

#13 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Attached File  dr_phil.jpg   47.37KB   3 downloads

#14 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

Its true, the research won't just happen, and if we're not willing to sacrifice for it, no reason to expect anyone else to do so.

I wish the community was bigger, we don't have a decent economy of scale thing going yet. Thus, its more individually costly to see projects like this actually happen. Life extension just isn't sexy enough yet. People don't see the "old people are people too, and are worth saving". I think they see "oh, this is just a selfish endeavor, you are just doing it for yourselves"; they see "if this happens, think of the children that don't exist yet". Much work to be done there, I greatly appreciate everyone who is good at advocacy who is working on that one.

A lot of people have already given a fair amount (many, a fair amount more than me), wouldn't want the burden of finishing this to fall on them, so if you haven't donated, maybe even just 10$? A couple overpriced starbucks drinks... Be a part of the solution. Sometimes the rate of change in the early years of a movement is discouraging, don't be discouraged.

And if you have donated, but only a small amount (like me) maybe a little every month or so until it happens.

- Tracy

[edit] lousy english

Edited by thughes, 07 June 2011 - 06:10 PM.

• like x 1

#15 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Its true, the research won't just happen, and if we're not willing to sacrifice for it, no reason to expect anyone else to do so.

I wish the community was bigger, we don't have a decent economy of scale thing going yet. Thus, its more individually costly to see projects like this actually happen. Life extension just isn't sexy enough yet. People don't see the "old people are people too, and are worth saving". I think they see "oh, this is just a selfish endeavor, you are just doing it for yourselves"; they see "if this happens, think of the children that don't exist yet". Much work to be done there, I greatly appreciate everyone who is good at advocacy who is working on that one.

A lot of people have already given a fair amount (many, a fair amount more than me), wouldn't want the burden of finishing this to fall on them, so if you haven't donated, maybe even just 10$? A couple overpriced starbucks drinks... Be a part of the solution. Sometimes the rate of change in the early years of a movement is discouraging, don't be discouraged.

And if you have donated, but only a small amount (like me) maybe a little every month or so until it happens.

- Tracy

[edit] lousy english

I wish this community was bigger as well. We need more advertisements for Longecity.

For all the people who said that they would donate $20 : Why don't we all just donate $20 every month until it's done? Is that too much to ask? Even though it's disappointing we will probably have to finish it ourselves without any outside help we should still finish it anyways because we need to keep moving forward.

#16 Link

• 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

For all the people who said that they would donate $20 : Why don't we all just donate $20 every month until it's done?

That sounds reasonable. Okay, $20 a month till its done.

Life extension just isn't sexy enough yet. People don't see the "old people are people too, and are worth saving". I think they see "oh, this is just a selfish endeavor, you are just doing it for yourselves"; they see "if this happens, think of the children that don't exist yet". Much work to be done there, I greatly appreciate everyone who is good at advocacy who is working on that one.

I think alot of people take a negative position on life extension because they don't believe it will be available in this lifetime, you can bet that if the choice was right there in front of them (a morpheus style red and blue pill situation, where the red pill gives you immunity to aging and the blue pill leaves you unchanged) alot of people who today say that life extension would be a terrible thing, would be right there along side us taking that red pill.

Sherwin B. Nuland is now 80 years old, which is already past the global average life expectancy and the US average life expectancy, so it seems quite hypochritical he is so against life extension. I'm sure as a surgeon he has kept many people alive who would have otherwise died a "natural" death.

View on Vimeo.

Edited by Link, 12 June 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#17 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

I think alot of people take a negative position on life extension because they don't believe it will be available in this lifetime,

Thats part of why its important to keep the message that it could be available in our lifetimes live in the air, especially, especially at places that advocate it. Eventually we need to and will get through to the world. It all starts, and expands from here, we have to keep messages like this alive. Anybody interested can do that by keeping discussion in the topic at this article alive, rewriting it in your own words, reposting it, etc.

Reaching the Goal - An article about how and why we can have indefinite life extension in our lifetimes.

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

This summary also goes over it.

#19 Florin

• 850 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

Since this project is related to Alzheimer's disease, why not persuade people that are interested in this disease to donate? This would serve two purposes: get more donors and expose people to Longecity that otherwise wouldn't be. Alzheimer's disease forums and organizations that have forums are probably the best places from which to recruit donors.
  • like x 1

#20 Callon

• 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Donated $30.
  • like x 1

#21 Link

• 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Since this project is related to Alzheimer's disease, why not persuade people that are interested in this disease to donate? This would serve two purposes: get more donors and expose people to Longecity that otherwise wouldn't be. Alzheimer's disease forums and organizations that have forums are probably the best places from which to recruit donors.

I think this is a great idea.

#22 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Sure, if we had more than a few people show up to help promote this fundraiser then we could go over and or coordinate such a thing. Nobody responded here this time. I didnt promote that promotion drive much, but I did in the past and few people responded there. People are also free to take initiative and ask about how they can get involved and help but we dont see that much. We have a new Take Action page (in left-hand sidebar) that we are working to popularize a bit more and I think that will help.

If I had more arms and hours in the day I would do more things like that myself. We do similar things designed to cover more bases and continue building Longecity's foundation though. For example we are working on some google and facebook ads, some of which target alzheimers, parkinsons, cancer and other such groups. I think they are some important target groups too.

#23 Florin

• 850 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:27 AM

Sure, if we had more than a few people show up to help promote this fundraiser then we could go over and or coordinate such a thing. Nobody responded here this time. I didnt promote that promotion drive much, but I did in the past and few people responded there. People are also free to take initiative and ask about how they can get involved and help but we dont see that much. We have a new Take Action page (in left-hand sidebar) that we are working to popularize a bit more and I think that will help.

This isn't just about simply promoting the fundraiser; it's about promoting it to the right people. Besides life extensionists, the right people in this case would be the ones that are interested in Alzheimer's disease. Since there are many more people interested in donating to Alzheimer's disease causes than there are life extensionists, reaching out to those people should have a higher priority than repeatedly asking the relatively tiny number of life extensionists at Imminst and elsewhere to donate. Asking only life extensionists to donate will likely result in fewer future fundraisers and fundraisers that take even longer than this one to get fully funded.

If I had more arms and hours in the day I would do more things like that myself. We do similar things designed to cover more bases and continue building Longecity's foundation though. For example we are working on some google and facebook ads, some of which target alzheimers, parkinsons, cancer and other such groups. I think they are some important target groups too.

If LongeCity is going to target people that care about specific, age-related diseases, future fundraisers will need to mention how they relate to specific disease just like the current fundraiser does.

#24 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

I'll do $20. Just PM me when you get the supporters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By