Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Review article of resveratrol-based human clinical trials

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Lots of good info in this one although much of it will be familiar to anyone who has been in this forum for awhile....

Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Jun 20. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100143. [Epub ahead of print]
Resveratrol and health - A comprehensive review of human clinical trials.
Smoliga JM, Baur JA, Hausenblas HA.
Source
Human Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health and Physical Education, Marywood University, Scranton PA, USA. jsmoliga@marywood.edu.
Abstract
In the past decade, the small polyphenol resveratrol has received widespread attention as either a potential therapy or as a preventive agent for numerous diseases. Studies using purified enzymes, cultured cells, and laboratory animals have suggested that resveratrol has anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant properties that might be relevant to chronic diseases and/or longevity in humans. Although the supporting research in laboratory models is quite substantial, only recently data has emerged to describe the effects of resveratrol supplementation on physiological responses in humans. The limited number of human clinical trials that are available has largely described various aspects of resveratrol's safety and bioavailability, reaching a consensus that it is generally well-tolerated, but have poor bioavailability. Very few published human studies have explored the ability of resveratrol to achieve the physiological benefits that have been observed in laboratory models, although many clinical trials have recently been initiated. This review aims to examine the current state of knowledge on the effects of resveratrol on humans and to utilize this information to develop further guidelines for the implementation of human clinical trials.

Copyright © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.

PMID: 21688389
  • like x 6

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:18 AM

Lots of good info in this one although much of it will be familiar to anyone who has been in this forum for awhile....

Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Jun 20. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100143. [Epub ahead of print]
Resveratrol and health - A comprehensive review of human clinical trials.
Smoliga JM, Baur JA, Hausenblas HA.
Source
Human Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health and Physical Education, Marywood University, Scranton PA, USA. jsmoliga@marywood.edu.

Copyright © 2011 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.

PMID: 21688389

do you have the paper?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

This must be the season for big resveratrol review articles. Here's another that focuses only on animal and human data, and in this case, the full text is available for free. No shocking conclusions but it does pull the data together.

PLoS One. 2011;6(6):e19881. Epub 2011 Jun 16.
What is new for an old molecule? Systematic review and recommendations on the use of resveratrol.
Vang O, Ahmad N, Baile CA, Baur JA, Brown K, Csiszar A, Das DK, Delmas D, Gottfried C, Lin HY, Ma QY, Mukhopadhyay P, Nalini N, Pezzuto JM, Richard T, Shukla Y, Surh YJ, Szekeres T, Szkudelski T, Walle T, Wu JM.

Department of Science, System and Models, Roskilde University, Roskilde, Denmark.

BACKGROUND:

Resveratrol is a natural compound suggested to have beneficial health effects. However, people are consuming resveratrol for this reason without having the adequate scientific evidence for its effects in humans. Therefore, scientific valid recommendations concerning the human intake of resveratrol based on available published scientific data are necessary. Such recommendations were formulated after the Resveratrol 2010 conference, held in September 2010 in Helsingør, Denmark.
METHODOLOGY:

LITERATURE SEARCH IN DATABASES AS PUBMED AND ISI WEB OF SCIENCE IN COMBINATION WITH MANUAL SEARCH WAS USED TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING FIVE QUESTIONS: (1)Can resveratrol be recommended in the prevention or treatment of human diseases?; (2)Are there observed "side effects" caused by the intake of resveratrol in humans?; (3)What is the relevant dose of resveratrol?; (4)What valid data are available regarding an effect in various species of experimental animals?; (5)Which relevant (overall) mechanisms of action of resveratrol have been documented?
CONCLUSIONS/SIGNIFICANCE:

The overall conclusion is that the published evidence is not sufficiently strong to justify a recommendation for the administration of resveratrol to humans, beyond the dose which can be obtained from dietary sources. On the other hand, animal data are promising in prevention of various cancer types, coronary heart diseases and diabetes which strongly indicate the need for human clinical trials. Finally, we suggest directions for future research in resveratrol regarding its mechanism of action and its safety and toxicology in human subjects.

PMID: 21698226

#4 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

Second thoughts, PLEASE NO TESTS, I do not want any tests conducted on Humans.
If the evidence is significant GLAXO might change it to a prescription medication.
The FDA will regulate RES.
And we could all be screwed out of our RES.
  • like x 1

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

If the evidence is significant GLAXO might change it to a prescription medication.

GSK can't prevent us from getting resveratrol as we currently do. They could market a formulated version, and that formulation would presumably have patent protection, but that's about it. If they market an analog, it wouldn't be resveratrol any more, so again, no problem.

#6 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

GSK can't prevent us from getting resveratrol as we currently do. They could market a formulated version, and that formulation would presumably have patent protection, but that's about it. If they market an analog, it wouldn't be resveratrol any more, so again, no problem.

I asked a fellow that works for a big Pharma his laptop is connected to a Hospital Mainframe. Does R and D marketing of drug studies.
He says they could take away RES and make it a script.

No human studies.
I'm a Guinea Pig and want to remain one.

Alex

#7 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

That's ok bixbyte...

I believe there is something better if they do take Resveratrol away.

As soon as I can open my mouth about it, I will let you all know.

Cheers
A

#8 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

That's ok bixbyte...

Cheers
A

Just watch and wait.
No human tests and the human guinea pigs are on this very board.
7 years Res for my wife and I.
Well over 1000 hits on that meter.
Keeping my mouth shut about some of the positive benefits of RES.
Alex

#9 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:50 AM

Alex,

Heck.. I'm with you on being a human guinea pig... I am currently trying some really nasty tasting stuff that definitely needs to go in a capsule... darn stuff makes my mouth tingle like crazy when I first tried it.

Some of it got on the stainless steel sink... and it was kind of hard to rub off...

Yup really nasty. Posted Image

A

#10 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:54 AM

Alex,

Heck.. I'm with you on being a human guinea pig... I am currently trying some really nasty tasting stuff that definitely needs to go in a capsule... darn stuff makes my mouth tingle like crazy when I first tried it.

Some of it got on the stainless steel sink... and it was kind of hard to rub off...

A

Nasty Tasting you say? --- I put some PD on my tongue and I could not get rid of the bad taste in my mouth for hours.

Received 100 grams of 99.15% PD from Shanghai last week. (need any:)

I was accused today of not displaying the signs associated with aging but my wife's cuz. In front of a bunch of her relatives.

Told my wife the odd comment made by her cuz,
My wife said she sounds like is jealous.

#11 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hehehe... :laugh:

Thanks for the laugh this morning Bixbyte... a great start for a monday morning.

:-D

#12 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

Alex,

A

OK, I too am using something that I believe works better than Resveratrol, but it does not taste nasty at all. (I still use resv. in conjunction with it, not everyday. BTW, powdered resv. applied to canker sores heals them very quickly, pain stops almost instantly.) It too is a sirtuin activator, and its superiority lies in stronger activator than resveratrol by ~20%, and it does not seem to cause the same intestinal problems in large doses.

I recently returned from three weeks in China, non-tourist area with Chinese friends looking for certain herbs. Intestinal problems are not something you want to augment while traveling in the land of poorly maintained squat holes. But I digress. PM me if curious about alternate sirtuin activators.

The people I met in China consistently underestimated my age by >20 years. To do that intentionally would be an insult in China, so I think it was not just politeness. An attractive 25 yr old was coming on to me, and I asked her if she knew how old I was. She allowed as she had once had a 43 year old boy friend, and though her parents did not approve, it was no problem for her. I told her I was over 20 years older than she thought. Once she realized I was older than her father, she was no longer interested in romance, and I became an "Uncle". I should have waited to tell her I suppose.

Despite virtually no exercise in three weeks, just a few non-strenuous walks up hills to temples in Chinese tourist parks, I had maintained most of my fitness when I returned. I say most. Second day back, I took a short hour bike ride, 15 hilly miles on a familiar route. My pace and time were unchanged from before I left for China, and the perceived effort was the same as usual. What was different: my heart rate was higher by up to 10 beats a minute where an effort was required up hills. I interpret this to mean that the sirtuin activators, resveratrol and "X", had maintained my mitochndrial function so my work output was unchanged, and muscle soreness was not a problem with this effort, as it would have been had I become deconditioned. But the increase in heart rate I take to indicate my hematocrit (red blood cell count) had dropped; my heart had to pump a greater volume of blood to deliver the same amount of oxygen to my muscles. So resveratrol maintains mitochondrial function, but does not result in increased blood oxygen carrying capacity the way exercise does. It is not an exact substitute for exercise as some news reporters seem to think.

And Anthony: I am self-testing a sirtuin blocker. It is possible that by blocking SIRT1 while taking a telomerase activator, one can increase its potency. (SIRT1 was shown in one paper to block the action of telomerase, hence the warnings to cycle cycloastrogenol et al, and avoid resveratrol while taking it.) I don't think I can test this properly until I have a known good telomerase actiator, so I wait your progress on that. I envision taking resveratrol and similar substances in the morning, and the sirtuin blocker and the telomerase actviator at night.

#13 ymc

• 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

While human clinical trials are in progress, was resveratrol proven to work in mice?

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

While human clinical trials are in progress, was resveratrol proven to work in mice?

Depends what you mean by 'work'. In mice fed a high fat diet, they live longer, but mice on a normal diet don't. Resveratrol has been shown to improve health markers in mice, is protective against ischemia-induced apoptosis, and can induce mitochondrial biogenesis at sufficient dosage. Various other things.

#15 ymc

• 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Depends what you mean by 'work'. In mice fed a high fat diet, they live longer, but mice on a normal diet don't. Resveratrol has been shown to improve health markers in mice, is protective against ischemia-induced apoptosis, and can induce mitochondrial biogenesis at sufficient dosage. Various other things.

icic. I suppose if you feed mice with virus laden food and supplement them with cycloastragenol, you are likely to extend their life too! ;)

#16 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

If I remember right, they were obese mice, as well?

I know this is probably the wrong place to say this, as this is the forum that people who take resveratrol use, but...

I simply don't get the hype regarding resveratrol.

Yes, it may have benefits. I don't expect it to have anything at all to do with life extension exactly, but it may prevent various diseases. But at this point, studies are still needed (or are ongoing).

So why is there a separate resveratrol forum section? Why all the hype? Is it all based off of that original fat rodent study?

The same things about resveratrol possibly preventing certain diseases could be said for half a dozen other things... Vit D... fish oil... heck, even regular grape seed or wine extract could have some similar benefits...

I just don't get it.

#17 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

If I remember right, they were obese mice, as well?

I know this is probably the wrong place to say this, as this is the forum that people who take resveratrol use, but...

I simply don't get the hype regarding resveratrol.

Yes, it may have benefits. I don't expect it to have anything at all to do with life extension exactly, but it may prevent various diseases. But at this point, studies are still needed (or are ongoing).

So why is there a separate resveratrol forum section? Why all the hype? Is it all based off of that original fat rodent study?

The same things about resveratrol possibly preventing certain diseases could be said for half a dozen other things... Vit D... fish oil... heck, even regular grape seed or wine extract could have some similar benefits...

I just don't get it.

A few years ago when Sinclair's initial study showing life-extension in high-fat diet mice came out, over half the posts in the supplements setion were on resveratrol, overwhelming other topics; it was decided to give it its own section. Perhaps we should expand the form to include other polyphenols and similar substances, as we have found other Sirt1 activators that may be desirable, and which have been also discussed here.

I believe niner posted a list of ongoing resveratrol studies somewhere....

WRT Sinclair's follow-up study on normal-diet mice showing no extension of lifespan, what the study did show was that the resveratrol-fed mice, despite not outliving their peers, did show better health and greater physical fitness in old age. This is consistent with Sinclair's and Auwerx' earlier findings, that resveratrol produced more, larger and healthier mitochondria in mice with resveratrol in their diet One could infer that resveratrol supplementation could be a treatment for sarcopenia (muscle weakness) that occurs with aging. This is the reason I use resveratrol, or other similarly actinv compounds. We have reports from athletically inclined individuals in this group that improved performance consistent with such mitochondrial biogenesis does occur. This does not occur with "Vit D... fish oil... or even regular grape seed extract", though vitamin D is useful for other reasons. Fish oil not so much unless one's diet is not optimum. Grape seed? I know of no reason to take it, and I prefer my wine red and pre-extracted.
  • like x 2

#18 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Grape Seed may also help mitochondrial function, through a method of action which is different to resveratrol it seems. From Vince G's site www.anti-agingfirewalls.com quoting a 2011 publication:

Improvement of Mitochondrial Function in Muscle of Genetically Obese Rats after Chronic Supplementation with Proanthocyanidins. “The aim of this study was to determine the effect of chronic dietary supplementation of a grape seed proanthocyanidin extract (GSPE) at a dose of 35 mg/kg body weight on energy metabolism and mitochondrial function in the skeletal muscle of Zucker obese rats. Three groups of 10 animals each were used: lean Fa/fa lean group (LG) rats, a control fa/fa obese group (OG) of rats, and an obese supplemented fa/fa proanthocyanidins obese group (POG) of rats, which were supplemented with a dose of 35 mg GSPE/kg of body weight/day during the 68 days of experimentation. Skeletal muscle energy metabolism was evaluated by determining enzyme activities, key metabolic gene expression, and immunoblotting of oxidative phosphorylation complexes. Mitochondrial function was analyzed by high-resolution respirometry using both a glycosidic and a lipid substrate. In muscle, chronic GSPE administration decreased citrate synthase activity, the amount of oxidative phosphorylation complexes I and II, and Nrf1 gene expression, without any effects on the mitochondrial oxidative capacity. This situation was associated with lower reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation. Additionally, GSPE administration enhanced the ability to oxidize pyruvate, and it also increased the activity of enzymes involved in oxidative phosphorylation including cytochrome c oxidase. There is strong evidence to suggest that GSPE administration stimulates mitochondrial function in skeletal muscle specifically by increasing the capacity to oxidize pyruvate and contributes to reduced muscle ROS generation in obese Zucker rats.”

Vince has a whole write up on GSE on his site at the moment and one of his conclusions is: "Although many of the studies mentioned here are based on in-vitro or small-animal experiments, they indicate that GSE may serve as a powerful disease preventative and the life extending agent in humans. Specifically, the studies suggest that GSE might act as An effective weapon against Alzheimers Disease, several deadly cancers, insulin resistance, diabetes, coronary heart disease, obesity, and liver failure. The studies originate from multiple sources, appear to be done with integrity, and deserve to be taken seriously."

Edited by hamishm00, 21 August 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#19 saxxie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:35 PM
That's ok bixbyte...

Cheers
A

Anthony: When will you let the cat escape form the bag?

#20 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

I just wanted to mention that I think its highly unlikely Resveratrol will be pulled. Simply for the fact that: it doesnt work for everyone. I have found I cant use it daily, without developing some minor sides. As for the studies, there rodents. People have been taking Res for years now, experienced supplementers know their physiologies fairly well. Its not one supplement per se, its the combination and consistancy of use and in my opinion, regular "off" days. These mice studies are just that and as such not applicable in any other context other than living organisms ingested it and it didnt harm them.

#21 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:35 PM
That's ok bixbyte...

Cheers
A

Anthony: When will you let the cat escape form the bag?

As soon as the study is close to being released.

I certainly don't want things to be released before an independent university study is submitted for publication.

I hear most science labs are afraid of being "scooped" if information gets out. Unlike businesses who's prestige seems to come from income statements, many university labs that do cutting edge science derive their prestige from new findings and publications in journals, that no one else has addressed. Fears of being "scooped" really tighten up university labs around the country.

:-D I liked this quick page on the paranoia of scooping :-D :
http://namnezia.word...11/19/scoopage/

I can say that the paranoia is pretty real in many labs.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 16 September 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:53 AM

Fears of being "scooped" really tighten up university labs around the country.

:-D I liked this quick page on the paranoia of scooping :-D :
http://namnezia.word...11/19/scoopage/

I can say that the paranoia is pretty real in many labs.

Yeah, that was kinda funny; I think he might be right when the field is complex biology. For so many other fields, though, man, it's like life and death. Either you are the guy who developed the method, or discovered something, or solved something, or you aren't. It either gets named after you, or the guy who beat you to it. You get the Nobel Prize, or the other guy does. You get the full time job, or the other guy does. I think scoopage paranoia is more common, and more rational than he thinks.

#23 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

I don't think I can test this properly until I have a known good telomerase actiator, so I wait your progress on that. I envision taking resveratrol and similar substances in the morning, and the sirtuin blocker and the telomerase actviator at night.

I found this herbal supplement that is supposed to contain Astragaloside IV - which may be a telomerase activator. For what it's worth ;)

Note: off topic link that contributes nothing to the current topic at hand removed.

Edited by maxwatt, 25 September 2011 - 12:43 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

Ok, this is starting to look like spam as this is the resveratrol forum.

As mentioned before the product contains a teloerase inhibitor, and is likely worthless as a telomerase activator.

A

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users