• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

tDCS thread

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#331 hlgaskins

• 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

I make my own saline solution using demineralized water. I purchased a small digital scale that is accurate to about .01G for about $24.00 which allows me to get the proper mixture of 9 grams of salt to 1 liter of water, which is also about the same salinity to that of our body. I hope whatever you do provides some relief for you. When I do something I get deeply involved in the details to insure the accuracy. Good luck

#332 hjmiii

• 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

While we're on this topic of resistance and saline I'm wondering if any of the DIY'ers here have any good tips on calibration. I'm trying to setup a microcontroller based automatic current adjustment similar to the professional models, and once you introduce a human head into the circuit it seems that it's nigh impossible to maintain a consistent current. I'm worried that if I allow it to push enough volts to maintain 2ma across the head I'm going to end up with a fairly high voltage. I get the same inconsistency and amperage drops using sponges, with saline or tap water, and with ceramic electrodes and conductive gel.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#333 hlgaskins

• 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Here check the GoFlow design which uses an Lm334z current regulator. Here is a link to their schematic.

http://www.tdcsforum...ic=9.0;attach=1

#334 IA87

• 76 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

So, many people do left DLPFC, but I see few--on the forum and in the literature--stimulating the right. Anyone done this? I have, but only for two days. The effect was not obvious. I was a little better at creating novel associations and felt as though my ability to formulate plans was enhanced. This is /highly/ subjective; nothing was measured.

#335 hlgaskins

• 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

IA8

What exact skill are you trying to enhance. If it's savant ability then it's anode T4 and cathode T3, Depressions anode F3 and cathode FP2?

Edited by hlgaskins, 07 July 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#336 IA87

• 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

I am going to work target visuospatial sites, now. These would be the right inferior-frontal and parietal cortices. I need a smaller electrode, however. 35 cm^2 is too large.

#337 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

So, do you guys find it worthwhile? What kind of benefits have you experienced? Is it a versatile treatment? There's not many reviews on here, although quite a few people seem to be continuing with use, so I assume it must be going well.

#338 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

So, do you guys find it worthwhile? What kind of benefits have you experienced?

Ive only been experimenting with the mood boosting+memory position and I have had it maybe 2 weeks now.

My general observations is that my mood has been improved from depression to actually kinda a bit happy I've been going out with friends socializing and laughing and joking around.

I'm familiar with anti depressants and this after 1 week mark already beats anti depressants by far!

I've been doing my 15-20 minute sessions 1-2 times a day. (2 times if its 15 minute sessions)

I have a schizophrenia diagnoses since 4 years ago.. so laughing and being in a good mood is harder for me because of the drugs perscribed.

I'm just glad I found something that finally works and isnt another drug.

#339 IA87

• 76 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Does anyone know where to get (not build) 11 cm^2 square carbon rubber electrodes and a sponge encasing designed for them? Neither Amrex nor Soterix go that small. I really do not want to build anything. With me, any attempt to build something that isn't a computer will be met with failure, no matter the simplicity. (I assure everyone of this!) I want to use this in place of the electrodes provided with the biocurrent kit.

#340 jayfoxpox

• 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

So, do you guys find it worthwhile? What kind of benefits have you experienced? Is it a versatile treatment? There's not many reviews on here, although quite a few people seem to be continuing with use, so I assume it must be going well.

I've been using it for less than a week , and I find that I'm more focused and I'm in a much better mood. Usually I'll feel really down and have suicidal thoughts and ever since I've been doing anodal stimulation on the left DPLFC (f3) with cathodal on the supraorbital area( above the right eye) I've been in a pretty good mood and with no suicidal thoughts.

The left DPLFC seems to be associated with a lot of benefits like depression , working memory , enhanced long term memory reconsilidation , even a decrease in desire to eat , declarative memory and and better decision making.

depression( anode on f3 and cathode on supraorbital)
A randomized, double-blind clinical trial on the efficacy of cortical direct current stimulation for the treatment of major depression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17559710

declaritive memory (anode f3 , cathode supraorbital)
Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) of the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex modulates declarative memory

http://www.sciencedi...935861X11000891

LTM (anode on f3 and cathod on supraorbital)
Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) Enhances Reconsolidation of Long-Term Memory

http://www.sciencedi...935861X12001994
working memory ( tho this is done on patients with major depression) anode on f3 and cathodo n f4
Acute working memory improvement after tDCS in antidepressant-free patients with major depressive disorder
http://www.sciencedi...304394013000554

appetite ( anode on f3 and cathod on supraorbital)
Prefrontal cortex transcranial direct current stimulation associated with aerobic exercise change aspects of appetite sensation in overweight adults

http://www.sciencedi...195666311006374
decision making (anode on f3 and cathod on f4)
Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Facilitates Decision Making in a Probabilistic Guessing Task

http://www.jneurosci...30/12/4241.full

I got full access to the papers from sciencedirect , so you can only see the abstract.

Edited by jayfoxpox, 11 July 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#341 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Just wanted to update here :

I am about 4 weeks in to the improved mood position for tdcs.
Everythings running smoothly and the positive results and still showing / happening.
Still 100% happy with my purchase.

#342 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just wanted to update here :

I am about 4 weeks in to the improved mood position for tdcs.
Everythings running smoothly and the positive results and still showing / happening.
Still 100% happy with my purchase.

Hey man, I haven't had a chance to read this thread lately, so sorry if you've already answered this. I was wondering...are you still using one of these two devices? http://tdcs-kit.com/

Are they working well for you?

Edited by lostfalco, 26 July 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#343 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

I was wondering...are you still using one of these two devices? http://tdcs-kit.com/

Yes thats where I bought my tdcs. I have the USB version.
Everythings working well.

The only advise I have is to buy a more / extra sponges by sending him an email.
I've been going thru a pair every month and it only includes a few pairs with the purchase.

I'm sure the sponges are really inexpensive.

#344 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

I was wondering...are you still using one of these two devices? http://tdcs-kit.com/

Yes thats where I bought my tdcs. I have the USB version.
Everythings working well.

The only advise I have is to buy a more / extra sponges by sending him an email.
I've been going thru a pair every month and it only includes a few pairs with the purchase.

I'm sure the sponges are really inexpensive.

Thanks for getting back to me Alex! That's awesome...a $39 tDCS. I wish this existed when I spent 10x that amount. ha

So, I'm gonna recommend that other people try out this version before dropping $300 on one (unless I hear otherwise from you). Hopefully, this can help out a lot of people. I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

#345 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Few questions:

How effect does hair have? Do you need to shave the area or can hair be in the way?
The cheap $39 unit, how would one place the electrodes, is there a band so they stay in their place or does one have to find something out for themself?
Is it possible to change the ampere? (Can you change from 0.5-2.5 mA?

#346 hlgaskins

• 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

"How effect does hair have?"

Hair can have an effect. It can increase the resistance which reduces current levels, but no you don't need to shave your hair just move it aside from the areay where your electrodes will be placed. If you use hairspray then clean around the targeted area with rubbing alcohol (Isopropryl alcohol is non-conductive). Then make certain that your sponges are sufficiently wet to make contact but not too wet to spread into your surrounding hair. If you have a means to monitor current flow and impedance then you will quickly get a feel for what works.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#347 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

"How effect does hair have?"

Hair can have an effect. It can increase the resistance which reduces current levels, but no you don't need to shave your hair just move it aside from the areay where your electrodes will be placed. If you use hairspray then clean around the targeted area with rubbing alcohol (Isopropryl alcohol is non-conductive). Then make certain that your sponges are sufficiently wet to make contact but not too wet to spread into your surrounding hair. If you have a means to monitor current flow and impedance then you will quickly get a feel for what works.

First of all, sorry for writing "how effect", lol. But thanks for the answer, so just moving it aside will be great.

#348 Psionic

• 187 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Here, we show an enhancement of Gf ability in a cognitive task induced by exogenous rhythmic stimulation within the gamma band. Imperceptible alternating current [4] delivered through the scalp over the left middle frontal gyrus resulted in a frequency-specific shortening of the time required to find the correct solution in a visuospatial abstract reasoning task classically employed to measure Gf abilities (i.e., Raven’s matrices) . Crucially, gamma-band stimulation (γ-tACS) selectively enhanced performance only on more complex trials involving conditional/logical reasoning. The present finding supports a direct involvement of gamma oscillatory activity in the mechanisms underlying higher-order human cognition.

Frequency-Dependent Enhancement of Fluid Intelligence Induced by Transcranial Oscillatory Potentials(Santarnecchi 2013)
http://www.sciencedi...960982213007136
(topic taken from here)

Anyone experienced in building tDCS, does it means that gamma-frequency osciallatory based tDCS can do the same trick?

#349 soulfiremage

• 104 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

My foc.us is here.

Email Michael if you got import tax btw!

1)Nice quality unit that arrived charged. easily setup, well packaged and brief, professional manual. I could do with more diagrams/photos or more online info.
2)Michael was emailing me, within minutes up till 1am last night. I've a small niggle with fitting that means I can't seem to get the electrodes as per diagram. I can use it in locations i'm happy with so its not a roadblock to getting good use from this.
3)Sadly the app is not yet available-I think it's absolutely essential to get good use from this personally - will report back when I know.
4)The sponges are small, the focal area more concentrated - this should make for more definite effects.

Will report when I know more.

From my experience the company is very young and very responsive, have been overwhelmed with shipments but seem to be handling it rather well. It does translate into a web site that is missing a few links here and there.

I'm amazed they packaged so much into the small size of headset!

#350 lester1

• 18 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

For anyone doing tdcs you must avoid caffeine, alcohol or any other prescription drugs. They will interfere with your brain and you wont notice the desired results. You need to do tdcs in the morning because if you do it in the evening it will keep you up. a good nights sleep 7-8 hours is recommended. Do these things like I do and you will feel the results of tdcs. Its far better than any drug out there in my opinion.

#351 aarfai

• 75 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

Is it possible to use tDSC and LLLT within the same day? Perhaps tDSC in the morning and LLLT later in the evening?

#352 alexburke

• 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

My foc.us is here

Well... Was it worth it? Whats your experience so far?

As for my tdcs sessions I am still doing them every day.. I love the thing!
I like to do it later in the day when I need a little zap to regain the clairity in my mind.

#353 Diego55

• 108 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have been suffering from severe social anxiety, GAD and depresion. I wonder, if tDCS can also help with various anxiety disorders ? Thanks.

#354 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I have been suffering from severe social anxiety, GAD and depresion. I wonder, if tDCS can also help with various anxiety disorders ? Thanks.

tDCS has been researched for depression.
http://bjp.rcpsych.o...t/200/1/52.long

Google and you'll find more.

#355 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hi guys, does anyone knows where to find sponge electrodes like the one the biocurrent kit has?

#356 robosapiens

• 163 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

What location(s) could increase sexual or orgasm response?

#357 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Why the lack of updates? Has everyone lost interest in tDCS (joking)?

Would this be an OK device for tDCS? http://tdcs-kit.com/
Has anyone seen any improvements in memory, reasoning / problem solving skills or mathematical ability?

#358 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Maybe people are scared, I don't know.
Sometimes tdcs can go really wrong and cause burns or temporary vision loss.

That tdcs kit is just fine for simple tdcs stimulation, at least it's very affordable.

I would like to hear about experiences on people.

#359 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

So, to make this more effective and turn into HD-tDCS, I should get some gel electrodes instead of just the two large pads? Also, would this device be compatible with more than two gel electrodes?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#360 fatetrader

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hi everyone, I've just found out about tDCS and currently I'm building my first one to try it out if there is any true to what I read so far here and there.
At the moment I've finished my electrodes, I made them according to this description in 3x3" configuration. I am also waiting for some more electronic components to arrive so I can put it all together.
I will report here what were the results of my tests.

Has anyone here anything to report, some new experiences with the device?
I would like to hear unbiased experience report. If you had positive or negative results or if you had none, please write it down. I've tried lots of different stuff (supplements, meditation, binaurals and so on) and yes some of them had a tiny effect on me but nothing major which would make a real difference, all of them had more of a subtle barely noticeable effects. I hope with tDCS it'll be different.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users