Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What's the best way of taking BHT?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

For those of you who take this as a supplement, do you follow the directions which advise opening the capsules and sprinkling it on food? Is swallowing the pill not as effective? I see these directions on both Life extension's and Duke Pearson and Sandy Shaw versions. What surprises me as well is that they only refer to it as a food preservative, they make no mention of the purported health benefits that other websites have reported for years (protects mitochondria and can deactivate enveloped viruses). I assume they're merely trying to protect themselves from the FDA and their laws (though that hasn't stopped them from making claims on other products)?

#2 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

For those of you who take this as a supplement, do you follow the directions which advise opening the capsules and sprinkling it on food? Is swallowing the pill not as effective? I see these directions on both Life extension's and Duke Pearson and Sandy Shaw versions. What surprises me as well is that they only refer to it as a food preservative, they make no mention of the purported health benefits that other websites have reported for years (protects mitochondria and can deactivate enveloped viruses). I assume they're merely trying to protect themselves from the FDA and their laws (though that hasn't stopped them from making claims on other products)?

I have run into the same problem. Lots of info about how marvelous the effects are but no dosage suggestions. The closest I've come is from the LEF forum (I plugged in that site into google.com/sitesearch and typed in BHT to find articles on it) Looks like dosages range from 200-1000mgs. The pills I ordered are 250mgs so I'm just going to take one per day and see if it helps with the Herpes. Not sure why you're interested in taking it but would be interested in hearing your experiences with it if you are already taking it.

The only warnings I've seen are that it may intensify and increase the duration of effects of alcohol. Can also raise blood cholesterol in larger doses and can potentially tax the liver in larger doses. I don't drink alcohol and plan on just 250mgs a day. We'll see.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

I have run into the same problem. Lots of info about how marvelous the effects are but no dosage suggestions. The closest I've come is from the LEF forum (I plugged in that site into google.com/sitesearch and typed in BHT to find articles on it) Looks like dosages range from 200-1000mgs. The pills I ordered are 250mgs so I'm just going to take one per day and see if it helps with the Herpes. Not sure why you're interested in taking it but would be interested in hearing your experiences with it if you are already taking it.

The only warnings I've seen are that it may intensify and increase the duration of effects of alcohol. Can also raise blood cholesterol in larger doses and can potentially tax the liver in larger doses. I don't drink alcohol and plan on just 250mgs a day. We'll see.

I have interest in taking it as an antioxidant and as a prevention measure since it's believed it can prevent viral and bacterial infections. I'm also wondering if it would help remove a pimple like rash which is on my leg near my buttocks. I've had it for weeks and it changes size depending on my anxiety level; though since graduating it appears to have shrunk and there is no more pain while sitting on hard surfaces. I had also once applied the antibiotic ointment vitacilina which reduced the size but did not remove it. I was relieved to see the antibiotic having some effect since I was starting to worry that it could be some type of herpes infection.

#4 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Durk & Sandy have a couple interesting BHT articles.

BHT Found to Be Naturally Produced in Phytoplankton:

"...BHT has a lot going for it, including its ability to knock out flareups of certain lipid-enveloped viruses such as Herpes and CMV..."

http://www.life-enha...ate.asp?id=2168

Surprise Discovery: BHT Is a Natural Antioxidant:

http://www.life-enha...ate.asp?id=2178

#5 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

I know, have you started taking it yet? I have also seen that dosages vary by your weight (stronger affect on thinner people) and likely by how strong your immune system is. In some individuals 250mg was enough for Herpes while others needed up to 2,000mg. I also, read an article from 1988 which said that those suffering from HIV infection were taking dosages of 500-1,000mg per day with positive results. Don't know what dosage would be appropriate for antioxidant effect, but I'll likely just start with the 250mg cap.

#6 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

I know, have you started taking it yet? I have also seen that dosages vary by your weight (stronger affect on thinner people) and likely by how strong your immune system is. In some individuals 250mg was enough for Herpes while others needed up to 2,000mg. I also, read an article from 1988 which said that those suffering from HIV infection were taking dosages of 500-1,000mg per day with positive results. Don't know what dosage would be appropriate for antioxidant effect, but I'll likely just start with the 250mg cap.

I just ordered it and it looks like it's on back order. Should have it in a couple weeks or so, which means I'll have to just stick with lysine and acyclovir for now. I read on an LEF thread the story of this older man (76) that had been taking 1,000mgs a day for over 30 years. He was convinced that it was keeping him from getting emphysema as he'd been smoking a pack a day for over 40 years. He was very happy with the results he was getting, but I'm pretty sure that around 1,000mg a day you're looking at possible liver damage.

Too bad this is all hearsay and no one dares to put up reliable dosage info, or too bad there is such a lack of info on it... Anyway, I'll let you know if I find anything more concrete.

#7 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

BAC sells BHT in power (beads) and capsules.

Here's a new study on BHT and lung tumors.

Chem Biol Interact. 2011 Jul 15;192(3):278-86. Epub 2011 Apr 21.

Protein damage from electrophiles and oxidants in lungs of mice chronically exposed to the tumor promoter butylated hydroxytoluene.

Shearn CT, Fritz KS, Thompson JA.

Source
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, 12850 E. Montview Blvd., Aurora, CO 80045, USA.
Abstract
The food additive butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) promotes tumorigenesis in mouse lung. Chronic BHT exposure is accompanied by pulmonary inflammation and several studies indicate that elevated levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) are involved in its promoting activity. The link between BHT and elevated ROS involves formation of quinone methide (QM) metabolites; these electrophiles form adducts with a variety of lung proteins including several enzymes that protect cells from oxidative stress. Studies in vitro demonstrated that QM alkylation of cytoprotective enzymes is accompanied by inactivation, so an objective of the present investigation was to determine if inactivation also occurs in vivo. Two groups of mice were exposed to BHT by intraperitoneal injection, one for 10 days and the other for 24 days, and proteins from lung cytosols were examined for damage. Analysis by Western blotting demonstrated that BHT treatment caused substantial increases in protein carbonylation, nitration and adduction by 4-hydroxynonenal, confirming the occurrence of sustained oxidative and nitrosative stress over the treatment period required for tumor promotion. Effects of BHT on the activities and/or levels of a representative group of antioxidant/protective enzymes in mouse lung also were assessed; NAD(P)H:quinone reductase and glutathione reductase were unaffected, however carbonyl reductase activity decreased 50-60%. Superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activities increased 2- and 1.5-fold, respectively, and glutamate-cysteine ligase catalytic subunit expression increased 32-39% relative to untreated mice. Glutathione S-transferase (GST) activity decreased 50-60% but concentrations of the predominant isoforms, GSTM1 and P1, were not affected. GSTP1 was substantially more susceptible than M1 to adduction and inhibition by treatment with BHT-QM in vitro, suggesting that lower GST activity in mice after BHT treatment is due to adduction of the P1 isoform. The results of this study provide additional insight into mechanisms of BHT-induced oxidative damage and further support a link between inflammation and tumor promotion in mouse lung.
http://pmid.us/rel:21536018

#8 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Two groups of mice were exposed to BHT by intraperitoneal injection, one for 10 days and the other for 24 days,

Anyone knows the dosage they used? It's not in the abstract and I can't get the full text.

I hear BTH effects are dose-dependent and too much prevents mitochondria from producing ATP, while a little may have positive effects, especially in some situations. If that was a small dosage, that would be serious. Also, intraperitoneal injection... sounds brutal. That's not the way to take it :)

#9 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

May as well copy and paste my recent experience with BHT since this topic seems to be getting bumped...

As a follow up for anyone reading this for info on herpes treatments I'd have to say it's a no-go for the BHT. I happened to run out of acyclovir just as an outbreak occurred (pushed it a little too hard in my work-out and I'm pretty sure that depleted my immune system enough to allow an outbreak to happen).

I decided to wait on getting the acyclovir and to see how BHT would fair by itself. I made a topical BHT infused cream by throwing about 5 grams with a couple tablespoons of lotion and blending it up in a mini-blender. I was taking 1,000-2,000mg of BHT orally and applying the cream generously 2-3 times a day. On the third day I woke up and was dizzy, had abdominal pain and slightly altered vision (wavy or blurry). This was certainly an effect of taking too much BHT, and I was quite frightened for my liver.

I wasn't seeing any effect on the herpes blisters. The outbreak seemed to be going as a normal outbreak would without acyclovir. This is after dosing 250mg BHT everyday for about 5 or 6 months and increasing the dosage during the outbreak. I filled my prescription for acyclovir and decided to continue using the topical cream I'd made.

The cream seems to keep the blisters from breaking open and cracking but I'd say the effect is nominal and maybe could be achieved with just lotion alone.

Bummer about that because the websites promoting BHT make is sound so good... I remember reading a comment that said something like, "This stuff works better than acyclovir! Stupid FDA." In retrospect it was probably the vendor who wrote it or one of their employees. It seems imprudent to ingest a known carcinogen in high doses, and I'm no longer going to do so.

That's my two cents on it anyway.

#10 Ampa-omega

• 335 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

can anyone update me on ntBHA being converted into BHT ?
does BHT result from ntBHA? (in the mitochondria)
I can't remember but i think i read somehwere online that when the NTBHA is used in the mitochondria it results in BHT?
unless i am wrong, anyone know anything about that?
why is ntBHA so much more expensive than BHT?

#11 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:11 AM

Re: how to take it. One formulation I saw was with oil (LEF?), but the guy on HCV boards who claims to have cured his HCV with BHT says that he took it dry in a capsule on empty stomach with water (and sometimes with beer, lol). There are 4 people with HCV who followed his advice and -- surprise, surprise-- 3 of them reported good results in a couple of months (reduced viral loads). The guy who did not improve took his BHT mixed in his vitamin/supplement shake. I know all this is very anecdotal...

#12 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

Where do you get your BHT?

#13 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

I can't remember but i think i read somehwere online that when the NTBHA is used in the mitochondria it results in BHT?

PBN breaks down to NtBHA and benzaldehyde. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. It's different from BHT or BHA.

BHT = Butylated hydroxytoluene
BHA = Butylated hydroxyanisole

PBN = Alpha Phenyl-N-Tert Butyl Nitrone
NtBHA = N-Tert-Butyl Hydroxlamine

Edited by ta5, 05 February 2012 - 06:44 AM.

#14 Ampa-omega

• 335 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

PBN breaks down to NtBHA and benzaldehyde. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. It's different from BHT or BHA.

BHT = Butylated hydroxytoluene
BHA = Butylated hydroxyanisole

PBN = Alpha Phenyl-N-Tert Butyl Nitrone
NtBHA = N-Tert-Butyl Hydroxlamine

ya i know that, but thanks anyway for answering, anyways i dont think it matters because ntBHA seems superior to BHT so taking both should suffice,

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Here is an excellent writeup on BHT and all the research done on it so far.
http://augmentinforc...ALTH EFFECT.htm

All I can add is that taking Gelatine and K2 while on high doses (600mg in my case) does help with dry skin and eye bags and perhaps dizziness.
There is also some evidence that the in vivo anti-oxidant effects on fats, oils, lipids etc. is responsible for the mean life extension properties of the substance.

Note that the IP dosed rats mentioned earlier where receiving a HED of round 73 grams a day. A huge chronic dose!

Edited by Logic, 21 August 2014 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users