• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to become an inventor like Ray Kurzweil?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

So Ray invented a computer that could compose music at 17 years of age. And not only that but when computers were big huge bulky contraptions. How did he do that? I'm 18 and I would have no idea how to do what he did. How can I invent something just as spectacular today? I have the intelligence I just don't have the knowledge.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

So Ray invented a computer that could compose music at 17 years of age. And not only that but when computers were big huge bulky contraptions. How did he do that? I'm 18 and I would have no idea how to do what he did. How can I invent something just as spectacular today? I have the intelligence I just don't have the knowledge.

You could start by learning how to write code. There are classes you can take, or books you can read. You might want a unix machine.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

When the market offered enough compacted computer hardware, software became big business. But the demand for increased performance of compacted hardware also requires some increasingly dangerous research experiments. As a political reaction to maintain billions of dollars in funding and to higher the potential of gaining positive research results, some increasingly dangerous particle experimentation has already been improperly rated a risk of zero. This might turn into a very unfortunate and mostly unexpected ending. Any consciously intelligent life could be annihilated in the entire solar system. So nothing will be there anymore to provide any credit for intellectual accomplishments. Sorry, but the market has changed.

So the first important thing to do is to realize that intelligence should be bound to emotions. When living beings are not anxious enough, they will not be able to crave for survival. You could either try learning the most intelligent way with mathematics in the field of particle physics to provide yourself and others with the most important findings in hindsight to planetary death.

Or you could learn the least intelligent way of psychology to rate a dangerous event without having the advantage of fearful memories from learned experience. Recalling memories of fear has been easy enough from the danger of nuclear war. But recently, most of the people who could help to intervene against a greater risk have not been mentally- and emotionally conditioned enough to recall something fearful in the event, because non of the possibly greatest risks like a great black hole in the center of our planet happened to come with bad luck before. Thus, despite of tactical information like http://www.longecity...-earth-required there has to be much more fear. There is little time for further emotions.

#4 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

Perhaps find a biology/medical lab on aging, ask them how your skills (IT/other) could help and propose to visit them. That way you'll have mixed two worlds (your own skiils, and the biology on aging lab), therefore increasing chances to do something spectacular

#5 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

But the demand for increased performance of compacted hardware also requires some increasingly dangerous research experiments.

Like what?

#6 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

Initially, there happened to be a demand for more research experiments. Demand for physics experiments came from researchers who needed new insights into the molecular structure of materials for compacted hardware and their production. Later, the gaining of newer insights also required experiments on atoms and particles.

Some demand for increased performance of compacted hardware came from investment corporations and their industry in market sectors like defense, aviation, and orbital/outer space communications. Compacted hardware that outperformed their larger predecessors included integrated circuits, motherboards, and pluggable disk drives. So demand for greater hardware like vacuum tubes, drum memory, and punched card installations went down.

What gives you an insight nothing of this was one of my ideas is that I am happy about Internet pages like http://lhc-concern.info/?page_id=32 that must be accepted as very important documents, just like A History of Modern Computing by Paul Ceruzzi and further books from my local public library which provided knowledge I brought into this discussion.

#7 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

Read books about topics that interest you, then relax and spend time thinking. (That is how my ideas come to me.)

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Intelligence does not alone an inventor make.

Hard work is essential as well. We are all "idea machines". We don't all possess the drive needed to make an idea come to fruition. A product, an invention, is not just an "idea". Someone has to write it, make it, design it, engineer it, sell it, distribute it, etc...

#9 DAMABO

• 181 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Read books about topics that interest you, then relax and spend time thinking. (That is how my ideas come to me.)

so what kind of stuff do you invent? with what degree did you acquired the necessary knowledge. Would a bachelor or master in mathematics and physics suffice? engineering obviously would be better, but as I'm already signed in for a bachelor of mathematics and a minor in physics ... :)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#10 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

so what kind of stuff do you invent?

I sent you a PM.

with what degree did you acquired the necessary knowledge.

I never graduated from high school (nervous breakdowns ruined my academic performance). At one point I went to a university, but that only lasted for 3 weeks before Mother threw a temper tantrum and pulled me out.

Would a bachelor or master in mathematics and physics suffice? engineering obviously would be better, but as I'm already signed in for a bachelor of mathematics and a minor in physics ... :)

That depends on what you want to invent. If your goal is to be the next Temple Grandin, you will not need any formal education, period. If you want to invent something high-tech (say, a better nanobot), then go for an engineering degree. Those are the 2 extremes, for some ideas an undergraduate degree is about right.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users