Photo
- - - - -

Sulforaphane and Nrf2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AORsupport

• 84 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

You guys produce excellent reviews. I love reading your magazine. Prior to reading one of your past issues I was taken in by the DIM hype, now I know I3C is the key.

Thanks for the recognition. AOR strives to keep on top of the research, and to base our formulations on the best available science -- not the hype.

If anyone is interested, the article with references comparing I3C with DIM as supplements to which lynx refers is now available online.

Could you explain something about how sulforaphane works, I read that it induces oxidative stress and thus increases Nrf2 expression. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not intimately familiar with this, but is clear that part of the phase II detoxification process induced by sulforaphane is the result of sulforaphane somehow inducing Nrf2, resulting in an upregulation of the antioxidant response element (ARE), which then upregulates the transcription of various cytoprotective genes. Because this can happen in response to oxidative stress, it seems possible that sulforaphane is at least partly acating by increasing oxidative stress slightly, leading to a compensatory overactivation of cytoprotective defenses and a net protective effect on the cell -- ie, a classic hormetic response.

However, there is evidence that sulforaphane acts at the posttranscriptional level, perhaps through direct interaction with Nrf2 protein:

Of particular interest is that this posttranscriptional response is not unique ... because similar effects were observed in cells treated with ... four structurally diverse inducers of the ARE-dependent gene expression [including sulforaphane]. These observations provide evidence of a regulatory mechanism that increases the stability of Nrf2, resulting in its accumulation in the cell. This notion is confirmed by experimental results showing that the half-life of Nrf2 is extended in cells exposed to the same inducers. Because cycloheximide was used to block de novo protein synthesis in these experiments, these data provide evidence that a posttranslational mechanism is involved in increasing the Nrf2 protein level. [1]

Someone else might be more familiar with the latest studies on the molecular mechanism. However, the important things to know are that (a) the downstream mechanism is the induction of phase II detoxification enzymes including but not limited to the ARE, and that (b) in all reasonable models that I have seen sulforaphane from diet or supplements increases net cytoprotection against a range of insults and reduces net cancer risk from various insults -- a finding consistent with extensive epidemiology on the reduced risk of various cancers from consumers of sulforaphane-rich Brassica vegetables.

Hope that helps. To your health!

AOR

1: Nguyen T, Yang CS, Pickett CB. The pathways and molecular mechanisms regulating Nrf2 activation in response to chemical stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004 Aug 15;37(4):433-41.

#2 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

Thanks again and keep up the good work, you guys are top notch. By the way, I know your piece about R-dihydro-lipoic acid is partially aimed at LEF, of which I am a member. They sometimes go too far in their attempts to be cutting edge and introduce stuff that looks good on paper, but doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Paul Vrana

• 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hi all,

Below is a  paper showing that sulforaphane aids glucose homeostasis by aiding in NRF2 translocation to the nucleus.

Notably,sulforaphane was given as broccoli sprout extract.  Not an aging paper per se, but possibly another tool in "slowing the clock" until rejuvenation methods are worked out.

Sci Transl Med. 2017 Jun 14;9(394). pii: eaah4477. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aah4477.
Sulforaphane reduces hepatic glucose production and improves glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Axelsson AS1, Tubbs E1, Mecham B2, Chacko S3, Nenonen HA1, Tang Y1, Fahey JW4, Derry JMJ5, Wollheim CB1,6, Wierup N1, Haymond MW3, Friend SH5, Mulder H1, Rosengren AH7,5,8.
Author information

Abstract
A potentially useful approach for drug discovery is to connect gene expression profiles of disease-affected tissues ("disease signatures") to drug signatures, but it remains to be shown whether it can be used to identify clinically relevant treatment options. We analyzed coexpression networks and genetic data to identify a disease signature for type 2 diabetes in liver tissue. By interrogating a library of 3800 drug signatures, we identified sulforaphane as a compound that may reverse the disease signature. Sulforaphane suppressed glucose production from hepatic cells by nuclear translocation of nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (NRF2) and decreased expression of key enzymes in gluconeogenesis. Moreover, sulforaphane reversed the disease signature in the livers from diabetic animals and attenuated exaggerated glucose production and glucose intolerance by a magnitude similar to that of metformin. Finally, sulforaphane, provided as concentrated broccoli sprout extract, reduced fasting blood glucose and glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in obese patients with dysregulated type 2 diabetes.

Attached Files

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Rhodiola is also known to promote Nrf2 activation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26577463

It is more powerful at this regard than Sulforaphane? The benefits of Sulforaphane are constrain to Nrf2? We know that some of the benefits of Rhodiola are mitochondrial biogenesis and AMPK stimulation 1 anti-glycation and longer life span 2 telomerase activation 3 induction of autophagy 4 ...

https://www.reddit.c...comment/debv1vi

It is Sulforaphane overhyped and we can just switch it to Rhodiola?

What about the concerns of Nrf2 activation promoting atherosclerosis?

www.longecity.org/forum/topic/78285-nrf2-also-promotes-atherosclerosis/
  • Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users