• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Does evolution turn men into creepy bastards when they hit 40+?

aging mens health pedophilia society gender issues

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

A thought occurred to me recently.

For the better or worse of society young females seem to become increasingly more judgmental of men and creeped out by them as they get older. As of late we are seeing a lot of paranoia related to 'pedophilia' or variants of it, such as phebephilia (which is still mislabeled as the former, unfortunately) and it got me thinking....

Does evolution have some sort of signaling process whereby it transforms men into creepy pricks by the time they hit middle age (presumably anywhere between 45-55)? To where it might, in some sequential genetic order, alter the physiology of men and make them uglier/more frightening looking? Let's be real, 9 out of 10 middle aged men look like sexually repressed psychotics who would rape any female over 12 (and in some cases under 12) if they had anything remotely resembling a signal of attraction from the latter. So...

Why would evolution do this to them? To facilitate the end of a mans sexual cycle and validity on the planet? Perhaps it's natures way of saying 'you've fucked enough, now it's time to relax, hang up the dried out hose, get 50 cats and enjoy that bottle of whiskey in your reclusive little shack where nobody else can see you'?

Furthermore are those who curtail the affects of aging (think jared leto etc) through healthy lifestyle and other interventions interrupting this signaling process somehow?

Or is this notion of women being creeped out by older men a recent phenomenon? It seems to have been active since I was a little kid, so maybe it's a recent historical development, or maybe women simply faked attraction for older men in the past.

In any event, thoughts? Opinions? Formulations? Philosophization?

Edited by TheFountain, 17 October 2011 - 06:59 PM.

• dislike x 8
  • like x 1

#2 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

I want to add that a lot of the above post was sarcasm. I was vicariously placing myself in the mindset of young girls when making many of the statements there. Quite a brilliant approach at times.

#3 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

women being creeped out by older

Are you sure they're not creeped out from the creepy ones specifically ? Because as far as my observations go most females would generally go for older men, not much older of course a 50 year old man won't be able to keep up with a 20 year old woman, sexually or otherwise, but slightly older, and I think it has more to do with the paradigm shift in opinion on certain matters between the recent generations and the older ones.

I mean, look at Angelina Jolie for instance. She got married to Billy when she was 25 and he was near 50 at the time. That's kinda rare, but it still happens. Most people get together while they're in university or college so for them it's hard to get with someone much older because they generally don't communicate with an age diverse group of people, but that's been changing recently.

In fact I know that in some countries the age difference in couples has increased recently. Proof :

Posted Image
Stats are for Norway.

Edited by corb, 18 October 2011 - 02:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

In my observation one of the only things which, in the minds of a younger woman, would make an older male a viable option for relationship is *drum roll* yup, money.

Outside of this the phenomenon continues, and you kind of defeated your own argument when you said 'Because as far as my observations go most females would generally go for older men, not much older of course a 50 year old man won't be able to keep up with a 20 year old woman, sexually or otherwise, but slightly older'.

If I were talking about 'slightly older men, I believe my premise would have mentioned slightly older men. I myself at almost 27 date a woman who is 'slightly younger' than myself and consider it quite acceptable culturally. In fact I make no judgment with regard to any age difference between a couple, I am asking a question that, although related to said topic is a bit more original and, in my opinion, interesting.

Let us not look at charts which call for extraneous co-factors that are omitted in specific cultures, such as money, fame and social prominence. Not to mention the psychological disposition of the females in question.

I make no claim that a woman cannot get past genetic limitations, or that in some instances the case of extreme age difference is related to the man taking better care of himself at an older age, and thus canceling out the sequential genetic order mentioned, but is this so in the majority of cases? Likely not.

The men who are considered 'creepy' by young women are likely those who are 1-succumbing to the forementioned genetic sequence and 2-Doing nothing to assuage this sequence, and more than likely accelerating it with drink, smoke, diet and surrendering to gravity. A lot to consider here.

But there is more going on, not just physiologically, but psychologically. It's as if the middle aged man, in most cases, becomes a shadow, the eyes change, the outlook and desires, the level of security diminishes greatly and the sexual disposition becomes one of outcast and shame.

This last statement relates specifically to men who are not conscious of the need for self maintenance and hygiene.

What also happens is that gravity weighs down the facial muscles, and as such, renders all emotion in the face inert, lending more to the 'creepy' disposition.
  • dislike x 1

#5 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

But there is more going on, not just physiologically, but psychologically. It's as if the middle aged man, in most cases, becomes a shadow, the eyes change...

What also happens is that gravity weighs down the facial muscles, and as such, renders all emotion in the face inert, lending more to the 'creepy' disposition.

Dang. That does sound creepy. Where do you live? Are you sure you're not caught in a zombie outbreak?
  • like x 2

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Does evolution have some sort of signaling process whereby it transforms men into creepy pricks by the time they hit middle age...

Furthermore are those who curtail the affects of aging (think jared leto etc) through healthy lifestyle and other interventions interrupting this signaling process somehow?

Well, I'm creeped out by Jared Leto, so I would say no, he is "signalling" some real strong zombie vibes too.

Edited by viveutvivas, 18 October 2011 - 12:27 PM.

• dislike x 1

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Does evolution have some sort of signaling process whereby it transforms men into creepy pricks by the time they hit middle age...

Well, I'm creeped out by Jared Leto, so I would say no, he is "signalling" some real strong zombie vibes too.

Are you a young woman?

#8 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

But there is more going on, not just physiologically, but psychologically. It's as if the middle aged man, in most cases, becomes a shadow, the eyes change...

Dang. That does sound creepy. Where do you live? Are you sure you're not caught in a zombie outbreak?

The only zombie outbreak any of us caught in is the aging process. Hence the existence of this forum to combat it.

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

I want to add that a lot of the above post was sarcasm. I was vicariously placing myself in the mindset of young girls when making many of the statements there. Quite a brilliant approach at times.

Trying to place myself in the mindset of a young girl would make me feely creepy.
  • like x 1

#10 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Are you a young woman?

I am just as much a young woman as you are... :laugh:

Edited by viveutvivas, 18 October 2011 - 07:00 PM.

• dislike x 1

#11 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Trying to place myself in the mindset of a young girl would make me feely creepy.

You already are creepy, since you stalk me.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#12 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Stop being an attention whore. I am not stalking you, I just think half the crap you post is silly.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#13 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Stop being an attention whore. I am not stalking you, I just think half the crap you post is silly.

You intentionally seek out my posts to add your stupid vitriolic hate to them. And then you vote me down every chance you get. What a child.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#14 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

You aren't worth the time or effort to intentionally seek out so stop being so paranoid. Like most people, I look at the recent topic list as well as the topics that bubble to the top of a category because I have read everything else and it is new content.

In other words, if you don't want responses to your posts, stop making them.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#15 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

You aren't worth the time or effort to intentionally seek out so stop being so paranoid. Like most people, I look at the recent topic list as well as the topics that bubble to the top of a category because I have read everything else and it is new content.

In other words, if you don't want responses to your posts, stop making them.

Hows about you stop being such an immature child and getting ad hominem with your responses to my posts and keep them on mother fucking topic? Thanks.
  • dislike x 2

#16 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hows about you stop being such an immature child and getting ad hominem with your responses to my posts and keep them on mother fucking topic? Thanks.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. Is this how an adult responds?

Edited by mikeinnaples, 19 October 2011 - 05:41 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#17 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Back on topic please....................

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

Can the moderators please delete the senseless, ad hominem posts on this thread so it stays on topic? Mucho gracias.

#19 Slahzer

• 32 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

I think you two have an issue.

On topic: I think you got it right when you said (TheFountain) only money will really make an older male viable for young woman.

#20 Slahzer

• 32 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

I think you two have an issue.

On topic: I think you got it right when you said (TheFountain) only money will really make an older male viable for young woman.

#21 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Yes

The ONLY thing that makes an older man attractive to young girls is money. You can be less ugly looking if you exercise and have a good diet, but if you are poor they won't like you.

Edited by Trip, 31 October 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#22 ViolettVol

• 275 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

I don't know, maybe I'm a freak of nature but ever since I was 14 I tended to be attracted to muh older men - at 14 I fancied guys in their 30s and later on as I got into my 20s, guys in their 40s. True, they were mostly actors, so they looked good for their age, but most friends my age just made big eyes at me and said - you fancy him? but he's OLD? I never went for the Leo DiCaprios or Orlando Blooms of this world.... One of my biggest crushes was Sean Bean when I was in highschool and he was late 30s, and then at uni when he was 40sth. Lately, not so much. I also fancy Jason Isaacs who is past 40 I think and feel a strange pull toward Anthony Hopkins not like I'm madly sexed up by him, but I find him fascinating. I think if a man takes car of himself and has a certain charisma- which is the same for a woman - they can date younger people successfully. I mean, few people date teenagers who are overweight and have tons of zits and no personality , even though they're young.
I do agree however, that the majority of people are more superficial and moeny would be their main factor. Here goes just another proof I might be a freak, oh well
  • like x 2

#23 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

If we assume the OP's premise is true, which is up for debate, one could postulate that a man's gametes accumulate mutations which would be undesirable from an evolutionary perspective. Therefore, women would have an evolutionary reason to stay away from men who are older precisely because their progeny would be at a potential disadvantage from mutation.

Could anyone comment if this reasoning is correct?
  • like x 3

#24 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

What if I freeze my sperm?
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#25 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:55 AM

What if I freeze my sperm?

It would get cold. (ba da BOOM)

Conflicting reproductive needs: young men are more spermatically viarble,hence more physically attractive, but older men are more established, hence better providers. A woman is so vulnerable during later pregnancy and childrearing, she needs the security an lder male can provide. But not to old, or he might not see her children to maturity.
hence I think the approximate 40 year cutoff for males as sexual objects for females. After sixty, he'll likely be washed up, and her teenage child will lack a protector.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#26 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

If we assume the OP's premise is true, which is up for debate, one could postulate that a man's gametes accumulate mutations which would be undesirable from an evolutionary perspective. Therefore, women would have an evolutionary reason to stay away from men who are older precisely because their progeny would be at a potential disadvantage from mutation.

Could anyone comment if this reasoning is correct?

I doubt evolution has anything to do with this. This seems to be a product of western culture. If you travel to some non-western countries in South America, Asia, or Africa you see men who look in their 40s with younger women, and many didn’t look wealthy to me. I am not saying such couples are everywhere, but it doesn't seem to have the same stigma in other countries as in the US.

Edited by firespin, 07 November 2011 - 12:37 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#27 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Seems like this topic touched a nerve with a few people. Gee, I wonder why...
  • dislike x 1

#28 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps it could have been due to the childish and partially offensive topic title? Or perhaps it was due to your content that reeks of immaturity tempered by inexperience in the real world? Perhaps it could have been your approach in general, language, and/or behavior?

This has potential for an interesting conversation if you had approached it differently ...even if your premise does happen to be wrong.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging, mens health, pedophilia, society, gender issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users