- - - - -

Lysine as a nootropic?

lysine nootropic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Baten

• 467 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

I've recently started taking lysine tablets after meals twice a day (2g afternoon 2g evening) and I've strangely noticed:
subtly better attention, motivation, subtly feeling sharper with better recall.

I've been taking 25 mg zinc picolinate twice a day & 5000IU vitD3 every other day along with it (added the lysine only recently).

I bought the tablets just to mess around, since zinc+lysine supposedly raises sperm volume (bigger load =stronger orgasms, lol),
but I'm quite surprised with the noticeable effects on cognition.

Definitely adding the zinc+lysine combo to my daily stack. Really gives me a calm and sharp boost throughout the day for some reason.
The 2g dose is probably overkill though, will probably drop down to 1 tablet twice a day after a while.

Found this on the matter. No idea about its credibility though.
L-LYSINE FOR IMPROVING NORMAL COGNITIVE FUNCTIONS

"The present invention shows that administration of L-lysine enhances cognitive performance in healthy individuals directly and these improvements persist if L-lysine is continuously administrated.
However, when administration is interrupted the cognitive performance returns to baseline."

Edited by Baten, 02 February 2012 - 06:42 PM.

• Informative x 1

#2 pedr0vsky

• 100 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

L-Lysine is used to is post surgery patients to speed up tissue healing and strengthen tissue. It made it difficult to sting my buttock when i was on cerebrolysin.

It didn't work as a nootropic for me, though...

Edited by pedr0vsky, 02 February 2012 - 10:17 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 kevinseven11

• 385 posts
  • yes

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Lysine Inhibits 5-ht4 receptor in the gut but also the CNS. 5 ht4 seems to increase cAMP so this is not the mechanism. Perhaps less activity in the gut can reduce anxiety which leads to clearer thinking?

#4 Lufega

• 1,779 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Agree with kevin. Less anxiety, clearer thinking and we already know that lysine reduces anxiety. Lysine is also a precursor to Carnitine. So maybe more Lysiny = More Carnitine and that explains the effect.

#5 medievil

• 3,335 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

It also looks promising for shizophrenia.

L-lysine as adjunctive treatment in patients with
schizophrenia: a single-blinded, randomized,
cross-over pilot study
Caroline Wass
3,4*
, Daniel Klamer
, Evangelos Katsarogiannis
, Erik Pålsson
, Lennart Svensson
, Kim Fejgin
Inga-Britt Bogren
, Jörgen A Engel
and Birgitta Rembeck
Abstract
Background: Accumulating evidence suggests that the brain’s nitric oxide (NO) signalling system may be involved
in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia and could thus constitute a novel treatment target. The study was
designed to investigate the benefit of L-lysine, an amino acid that interferes with NO production, as an add-on
treatment for schizophrenia.
Methods: L-lysine, 6 g/day, was administered to 10 patients with schizophrenia as an adjunctive to their
conventional antipsychotic medication. The study was designed as a single-blinded, cross-over study where
patients were randomly assigned to initial treatment with either L-lysine or placebo and screened at baseline, after
four weeks when treatment was crossed over, and after eight weeks.
Results: L-lysine treatment caused a significant increase in blood concentration of L-lysine and was well tolerated.
A significant decrease in positive symptom severity, measured by the Positive And Negative Syndrome Scale
(PANSS), was detected. A certain decrease in score was also observed during placebo treatment and the effects on
PANSS could not unequivocally be assigned to the L-lysine treatment. Furthermore, performance on the Wisconsin
Card Sorting Test was significantly improved compared to baseline, an effect probably biased by training.
Subjective reports from three of the patients indicated decreased symptom severity and enhanced cognitive
functioning.
Conclusions: Four-week L-lysine treatment of 6 g/day caused a significant increase in blood concentration of
L-lysine that was well tolerated. Patients showed a significant decrease in positive symptoms as assessed by PANSS
in addition to self-reported symptom improvement by three patients. The NO-signalling pathway is an interesting,
potentially new treatment target for schizophrenia; however, the effects of L-lysine need further evaluation to
decide the amino acid’s potentially beneficial effects on symptom severity in schizophrenia.

#6 medievil

• 3,335 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hmm wasnt aware zinc with lysine raises sperm volume that with clomid should be impressive haha; ill research what else does this so i can really blow my girl away haha.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#7 Baten

• 467 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hmm wasnt aware zinc with lysine raises sperm volume that with clomid should be impressive haha; ill research what else does this so i can really blow my girl away haha.

Some girls don't like that too much, though :P

As a little update, I'm now take lysine+zinc away from meals. On workdays 2g in the morning 1g in the afternoon, weekends 2g in the afternoon 1g in the evening.
For the cheapest zinc solution I bought NOW 50mg zinc picolinate, open a cap and divide it in roughly 2 equal doses to take with the lysine.
Have to say this is one of my favorite supplements next to lithium orotate which stabilizes mood and reduces irritability (1 tablet of doctor's best brand with lunch).

Edited by Baten, 20 April 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lysine, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users