- - - - -

Supplementing with allantoin?

allantoin ascorbate uricase

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

I supplement with vitamin c in gram amounts, and find the effects to be beneficial for me. One theory on this is that the loss of the ability to synthesize vitamin c was a less than beneficial mutation. Along those same lines, we have, apparently, also loss the ability to produce the enzyme uricase which converts uric acid to allantoin. While uric acid seems to have some benefits at low enough levels (even possibly augmenting intelligence to some degree), perhaps the lack of circulating allantoin slows bone and skin healing? Allantoin is considered a very safe topical ingredient with amazing healing properties, but I haven't found much discussion of its potential use as an refined oral supplement. Some herbs that contain it, like Comfrey, have serious downsides to their use over the raw ingredient.

My uric acid levels are normal so I'm not sure supplementing with uricase would be a good idea if that were even possible.

Here is an interesting paper, although it doesn't discuss allantoin supplementation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2495042/

#2 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

This is interesting as well:
https://www.thieme-c.../s-0031-1295439
Is allantoin a naturally occurring metformin alternative?

Allantoin, an active principle of yam, is documented to lower plasma glucose in diabetic rats. However, action mechanisms of allantoin remain obscure. It has been indicated that metformin shows ability to activate imidazoline I-2 receptors (I-2R) to lower blood sugar. Allantoin has also a chemical structure similar to metformin; both belong to guanidinium derivative.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I spent a few more hours researching this and I'm satisfied it qualifies as a supplement. My only concern is if the 98% purity is enough.

from : Doklady Biochemistry and Biophysics, Vol. 398, 2004, pp. 320–324. Translated from Doklady Akademii Nauk, Vol. 398, No. 6, 2004, pp. 823–827.

Original Russian Text Copyright © 2004 by Gus’kov, Prokof’ev, Kletskii, Kornienko, Gapurenko, Olekhnovich, Chistyakov, Shestopalov, Sazykina, Markeev, Shkurat, Malkhos’yan, Zhdanov.
file:///page1image3728

"Although the role of allantoin has not been under- stood completely, we believe that, similar to ascorbic acid, this product of degradation of purine bases may be a biologically active compound—a water-soluble vita- min, because it fits the following parameters:

(1) It in not synthesized in primates;
(2) It is an antioxidant;
(3) It exhibits the properties of a reparagenic agent and modulates the activity of enzymes involved in metabolism of reactive oxygen species;
(4) It is similar to vitamin C in thermodynamic parameters and antioxidative properties;
(5) It ensures viability of a developing mammalian embryo.
Thus, allantoin as an exogenous vitamin is the key factor of adaptation of ontogeny of primates to the envi- ronment. It is also effective as an endogenous dominant component of protection of a developing embryo from reactive oxygen species. "

#4 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

Potential use in parkinson's disease:
http://gtp.autm.net/...ology/view/3704

#5 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

You probably already know this, but I remember reading a story about 25 years ago of how allantoins healing properties in wounds was first discovered. Apparently soldiers with wounds that were infested with maggots healed much better than soldiers without maggots in their wounds. People researched this phenomenon and discovered that the maggots secreted allantoin which helped the wounds heal. I remember being fascinated with this story.

#6 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Heard about comfrey and some people regarding it as a supplement to remineralize their teeth. Just that it has the alkaloids that the OP mentioned.

Wonder how effective allantoin powder is as a mouthwash :-D

Edited by Deckah, 05 March 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#7 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Heard about comfrey and some people regarding it as a supplement to remineralize their teeth. Just that it has the alkaloids that the OP mentioned.

Wonder how effective allantoin powder is as a mouthwash :-D

I've got some from making cosmetics (probably cheaper elsewhere). But no reply yet on if it's pure enough to eat...

#8 joewho

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

thread bump + 1.5 years later, is this allowed? anyway, let us know how it went. I'm intererested in Allantoin due to this research paper http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24296131 The research may be a bit shoddy, so I thought I'd ask for opinions or information you may have about allantoin.

Edited by 18thstreethangover, 24 December 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#9 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

Where do people here get it?

bulkactives sells a 99.6% synthetic powder, meant for topical use, $3.35 for 30 grams. I use it topically.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:03 AM

Allantoin inhibits AGEs and other diabetic complications

http://www.omicsonli...-rat-40130.html

The study was conducted to investigate the neuro-protective potential of allantoin against bio-chemical, behavioral and electrophysiological deficitin streptozotocin (STZ) induced peripheral neuropathy in diabetic rat. Oral administration of allantoin (100 & 200 mg/kg; per oral) began on the confirmation of diabetes after 72 hours of STZ treatment and was continued for 8 weeks in Wistar albino rats. Determination of body weight and behavioral tests were performed subsequently in every two week during allantoin treatment period. In addition sciatic nerve conduction velocity studies and biochemical parameters of nerve homogenate and serum were performed. In vitro antioxidant activity and AGE (advanced glycation end product) inhibitory assay of allantoin were also performed. Animals treated with allantoin showed a significant improvement in body weight and reduction in serum blood glucose levels as compared to vehicle-treated diabetic rats. Moreover, significant improvement was noted in hyperalgesia, grip strength muscle co-ordination and nerve conduction velocity in allantoin treated diabetic rats. In sciatic nerve there was a significant increase in MDA level and poor antioxidant levels were observed. Reduction in MDA level and NO was determined nevertheless increase in the antioxidant level was perceived in allantoin treated group. Allantoin treatment shows efficacy for preventing diabetic deterioration as seen by improvement in biochemical, behavioral and electrophysiological deficit. The neuro-protective effect of allantoin could be attributed to its anti-hyperglycemic, AGE inhibitory activity and reduction in oxidative and nitrosative stress.
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users