Photo
- - - - -

Phenibut insomnia?!?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mycotheologist

• 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

I've been on phenibut for around 2 weeks and for some reason I haven't been able to sleep for the past couple of days. I got around 2 hours sleep last night, now its the following night and I can't sleep at all. I can't relax for some reason. I took my usual dose (around 2g) today so I don't know whats going on. I started taking amoxicillin for a cold a couple of days ago, could that have anything to do with it? I took another 1g of phenibut just there but if that doesn't work, I don't know what to do.

#2 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

You shouldn't be taking phenibut more than once a week! It has can have major tolerance and withdrawal issues if taken on consecutive days for an extended period of time (beyond 3 days- a week usually). Phenibut is a GABA-B agonist, with a relatively similar action to benzodiazepines, and I'm sure you've heard some of the infamous addiction and withdrawal stories associated with those. You need to taper off that shit my friend; hopefully someone here can offer a decent tapering schedule. One things for sure I would definitely not take anymore for the time being.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

stop taking phenibut and do expect a withdrawal reaction. Don't try to prevent the withdrawal by upping your dose; you will definitely worsen the problem. It's commonly recommended to taper off benzo and benzo-like drugs [taking less consecutively for days or weeks] but in my case it really just extended the agony. If you become extremely desperate at any point for any reason I would recommend oxcarbazepine to lessen the withdrawal effects. But I'm not a doctor, and you should do your own research if you really get that desperate. Really though I would just suffer the hell for about a week or so [maybe less] and then you'll be fine. But it will most likely be hell.. I'm just saying.

Edited by protoject, 10 July 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#4 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yeah on second thought disregard the taper idea, it's unecessary considering that you've only been on it two weeks.

Best advice; flush your stash. Eat well. Exercise if you can... You'll be better in no time.

#5 mycotheologist

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Withdrawal only kicks in when you stop taking it though. I haven't stopped taking it yet. I've had a phenibut withdrawal (couldn't sleep for 5 days) before. I've never had insomnia while ON phenibut though, this is weird. If I can't sleep at all tonight, I'm gonna get the doctor to write me prescription for zolpidem because I've only gotten around 5 hours sleep in the past 3 days. This is bizarre shit, I feel like I'm on a stimulant.

Edited by mycotheologist, 10 July 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#6 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

It is entirely possible that this is caused by Phenibut.

From the sounds of it this is not the first time you've been on a trial of Phenibut long enough for withdrawal to occur upon stopping. Each time you gain a tolerance to a chemical your nervous system becomes more efficient at gaining a tolerance to it in the future, sort of like the neural equivalent of muscle memory. Because of this, tolerance is developed much faster and also to a higher degree each time you go through the cycle, within the same period of time/usage. When tolerance inevitably creeps up the dosage you're using can become ineffective at maintaining homeostasis - then you require a higher dose just to stave off the withdrawal symptoms. Which in this case would be insomnia and restlessness from the sounds of it, 'I can't relax for some reason'.

The solution for problems caused by drugs is NOT more drugs. Believe me, man, I've been to hell and back with that philosophy firmly lodged in my cranium.
  • like x 2

#7 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

Withdrawal only kicks in when you stop taking it though. I haven't stopped taking it yet. I've had a phenibut withdrawal (couldn't sleep for 5 days) before. I've never had insomnia while ON phenibut though, this is weird. If I can't sleep at all tonight, I'm gonna get the doctor to write me prescription for zolpidem because I've only gotten around 5 hours sleep in the past 3 days. This is bizarre shit, I feel like I'm on a stimulant.

Trust me, it is from the phenibut. I experienced the exact same thing. And like the above poster said, essentially you're needing more phenibut to combat the withdrawal you're experiencing now because your brain has already physically adapted to the dose you're taking and it wants more. But trust me, don't take more, you will be a sorry ass mothafucka.

Phenibut makes me feel like some kind of artificial vigilant taking it like that and it feels fucked up.. because you know that you have barely slept for a week yet when you wake up you feel so awake and you get this wierd nootropic effect. But you can tell that damage is being done.

Edited by protoject, 11 July 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#8 mycotheologist

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Yeah I haven't slept in days but I'm fully awake and alert. I upped my dosage but it just made things worse. This has happened me in the past, the phenibut makes me feel bad and aggitated for the first 6 hours, then I start to feel relaxed. I hope thats what it is anyway because its been 4 hours since my last dose now and I can barely sit still.

#9 mycotheologist

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

I think I was right, its been around 5 hours since my last dose and I'm starting to feel like I can fall asleep now. Thank god, all this sleep deprivation can't be good for the brain. Either way, its about time I quit this unholy crap. Its only good as a once in a while thing but I don't have the discipline to keep it a once in a while thing (with me it becomes an every day thing) so I'm gonna steer clear of it from now on.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 bunchofidiots

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:34 AM

I only registered to bump this. These guys are a bunch of idiots. Don't ever ever stop Phenibut cold turkey. These guys are a bunch of idiots. I have found a good taper for future reference since these idiots aren't very smart and will just end up hurting someone by telling them to go cold turkey. 

I found this on Reddit

MON - 2000 TUE - 2000 WED - 1900 THU - 1900 FRI - 1800 SAT - 1800 SUN - 1700 Mon - 1700
This continues until you get down to around 250mg. From there I would reduce by 50mg per day. Once you get to 50mg try get it down to around 25 and 10 and then just discontinue use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users