• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

This is what we're fighting for!

cryonics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MentalParadox

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hello people,

Just earlier today, I read a post on Reddit that touched me personally. Basicly, a young woman (with an interest in cryonics) has been diagnosed with a severe type of cancer, and if she does not get enough money together before her time is up (she only has 3-6 more months to live...) she won't make it. Morally speaking, as life extensionists and human beings, this cannot be allowed to happen. I know it's wrong to "exploit" tragedy like this, but letting her face this alone wouldn't do the reputation of life extensionists and cryonicists any good. Please, help her if you can.

Here's the OP: http://www.reddit.co...dying_young_im/
Here's her post on Reddit:

------------------------------------------
I'm a 23 year old girl with recurrent Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), a highly aggressive type of brain cancer. I posted a couple of months ago asking for suggestions for things I should try before I die (life expectancy is 3-6 months) and got a lot of great ideas (many of which I've fulfilled). At the time of my last post, my treatment was undecided. I ended up participating in a phase I trial at Dana-Farber, but I progressed after two months of treatment. There are not many great treatment options left for me, but my next move will be five radiosurgery treatments at Duke University next week. My prognosis looks pretty bleak at this point, and though I am hoping to exceed the 6-10 month median survival, I have to prepare to die. In a way, I am fortunate because the lesion is primarily in my brain stem (controls things like breathing), so I will likely die before the tumor spreads to the areas central to who I am.
I'm back on Reddit again, mostly to ask for help because I want to be cryogenically preserved upon my death. I've been interested in cryonics since long before I was even diagnosed, but I never thought that I would have to secure the finances so fast, and without a career or savings to stand on. As weird as it feels to ask for help here, I feel I should just give it a shot and sees what happens. I caused a lot of family controversy last week by breaking the news to my parents. I can tell I've alienated them quite a bit as they are Christian and don't see why I'd want to be preserved; in their mind, I am going to heaven and my "soul" will forever leave my body when I die anyway. I clearly upset both of them with the implication that I was agnostic (I didn't say this outright, but it's true). My mom is fairly supportive of my plans to be preserved, but unfortunately, my dad isn't a fan of the idea, and he's really the only family I have that could offer financial help (my parents are divorced and not on good terms). The company I'm looking into, Cryonics Institute, costs $30,000-35,000 with transportation to the facility accounted for. My boyfriend is fully supportive, but like me, he's broke and barely out of college. I know this is a big thing to ask for, and I'm sure many people are doubtful that preservation is plausible with cryonics. I'm far from convinced, but I would rather take the chance with preservation than rot in the ground or get cremated. The company I'm looking into, Cryonics Institute, has a good intro on their FAQ page that offers a hopeful outlook on future technology: http://cryonics.org/prod.html
A lot of people on reddit wanted to start a fundraiser for me awhile ago to aid in doing fun things before I die. I am hoping that redditors will still have some interest in helping me even if it's not going towards vacation or skydiving and shit like that. Cryopreservation is sincerely what will bring me the most peace in death. I wish I could give a particularly compelling reason why I deserve another chance at life, but there's not much to say. I'm still just a kid, and hadn't even finished college when I was diagnosed. Unfortunately the most interesting thing I have yet to do is get a terminal disease at a young age.

If you guys can help me out, I would be grateful to a degree I can't possibly describe. I'm desperate. If you care to donate to the cause, the link to my blog and fundraiser is HERE. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, you can do to help would be endlessly appreciated. If you don't want to look at my dumb cancer blog, the direct link to the preservation fund can be found HERE
On a lighter note, I'm open to the idea of trading donations for anything you might want in exchange (within legal limits). This could be fun!
Proof can be found on my earlier post, but here's a pic from today: http://i.imgur.com/Qdkzn.jpg?1
I'm also open to any questions about brain cancer, or my rationale for wanting to be preserved.

EDIT:
I want to explain in a little more detail why I think cryopreservation is worth a try. (Even an expensive try).
First, I want to make it clear that I'm not betting my life on cryopreservation. I am aware of the problems with the current state of cryonics, but I have the hope that technology might come up with a solution in the future. No one knows what technology will be available in 50 years. Yes, it takes "faith" in technology, but it takes faith to assume that technology won't be sufficient to reverse these problems someday.
The main point I want to make here is that it's a better shot at living again than if I were decomposing somewhere or cooked into ash. The relative value of even a slight chance at living again is a huge payoff for what seems like a lot of money to me now, but probably would be an easy decision for me if I had a steady job. Compare the cost of preservation to the cost of traveling overseas to pursue experimental treatments; I think the current state of glioblastoma treatment is just as bleak (if not more), but it doesn't seem so crazy to pursue those routes.
I'm trying to be preserved because I've done everything else in my power to help me extend my life. I've looked at essentially every diet, supplement, clinical trial, and "miracle treatment" out there. This is the last thing I can possibly do to fight for another chance, and if does happen to work, it will be incredible.
Live again or die trying.

EDIT 2: A cool quote:

"The correct scientific answer to the question "Does cryonics work?" is: "The clinical trials are in progress. Come back in a century and we'll give you a reliable answer." The relevant question for those of us who don't expect to survive that long is: "Would I rather be in the control group, or the experimental group?" We are forced by circumstances to answer that question without the benefit of knowing the results of the clinical trials." - Dr. Ralph Merkle

TLDR; I want to be cryogenically preserved when I die from brain cancer but can't afford it. I am literally begging for financial help.
  • like x 2

#2 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have donated $10. It's not a lot but it's something. I really hope that she raises her funds.

#3 Odestoteles

• 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

I have donated $60 in total.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 jago45

• 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

I think that cryonics is generally worth doing. It depends on your age, family situation, and financial situation. It is rather expensive, and if you heirs need the money, you're in kind of a dilemma. I do think that the problems involved in thawing, etc. will be solve. After all, we routinely freeze and thaw cells right now. The SENS approach of Aubrey de Gray is the most reasonable approach, but not everyone is young enough for it to work for them, and some people will develop incurable diseases. In any case, it makes sense to follow the life-extension techniques given in mine and other books.

JA Golczewski, PhD
https://sites.google...te/jgolczewski/
News on health and life-extension

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

The official Venturist fund for Kim is up--please support it, large or small, all donations are needed: http://venturist.info/kim-suozzi-charity.html
  • like x 1

#6 Janica

• 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Just made a small donation.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cryonics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users