Is it worth growing lions mane at home?

lions mane.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I am still pondering on growing Lions mane at home. Lions mane is very expensive and I don´t think it is worth the price. Well a home growing kit would probably hack the price. The questions is how much lions mane would one be getting from a home growing kit like this. Furthermore I wonder how much would be growing out of the block. If one would buy 3bags and grow it for a month so one would have equivalent of a months supply until the next cycle has finished, it needs to last for a month and it needs to keep growing.

Do you think it is worth it? Does anyone have any experience?

#2 umop 3pisdn

• 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

I don't have any practical advice on growing mushrooms as I've never done it myself, but I have researched the subject for some time out of a personal interest (edibles, mostly, though the skills themselves seem rather transferable regardless of the particular kind of mushroom you're intending to grow). From what I gather from lurking on the shroomery forums, grow kits themselves are a one time use item with a relatively high markup. Though it's not much of an investment if you just want to try it out, and the skill needed for growing that way is relatively low so it doesn't really involve much risk if you are just testing the waters. Otherwise I would just go with a spore syringe and sterilize mason jars of your own substrate. For the fruiting stage with a four tier mini greenhouse and a couple humidifiers you could grow a lot, likely more than you would need iirc. So you could grow a lot more that way and more inexpensively than you ever could with grow kits. But I would read these forums:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/

I also own these DVD's, they were really informative so I would recommend them:

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

Sorry I'm not much help in terms of any of your specific questions, but aside from the initial investment growing mushrooms seems fairly inexpensive (I intend to grow Lion's mane rather than buy it, myself), and aside from the need to maintain a sterile working environment I hear it is easier than ordinary horticulture, or certainly hydroponics. I think though that ultimately it's going to end up being another hobby, unless you can do it at least partially for its own sake, finding pleasure in the activity of growing itself, you may not want to keep up with it as much. So I would probably consider that before, say, investing in a pressure cooker.

Edited by umop 3pisdn, 06 September 2012 - 10:57 PM.

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:41 AM

Do you have an Asian market in your area?

Lion's mane can be bought dried, canned, or fresh, in many of the Asian markets here in the States. It's very cheap. Dried, 1 lb, packages were about $3 US last time I bought them. It's called hou tou gu, pom pom, or monkey head mushroom in Chinese markets.

Just an idea ...
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#4 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Lions mane is soooo cheap. Unless you bought BULK keys and used (used) coffee grounds would you potentially profit.
Trance, what store exactly would you recommend ? World market?

Edited by kevinseven11, 08 September 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#5 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Lions mane is soooo cheap. Unless you bought BULK keys and used (used) coffee grounds would you potentially profit.

Not sure what part of Texas you are in, but if you are in the Dallas area, any of the Asian markets should have one form or another. You can find them fresh too, at times. There's a large "99 Ranch Market" off of Spring Creek & 75, a block or two north is the "Asian World Market" mall/grocery off of Legacy, giant Siagon Mall at Jupiter & Belt Line in Garland, etc. There are bulk bags of dried Lion's Mane at the grocery store at Asian World Market -- just look in the aisle with all the dried mushrooms.

Really, though, any good sized Asian market, any where, probably has some form of Lion's Mane mushroom for sale.

Edited by trance, 09 September 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#6 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Not sure what part of Texas you are in, but if you are in the Dallas area, any of the Asian markets should have one form or another. You can find them fresh too, at times. There's a large "99 Ranch Market" off of Spring Creek & 75, a block or two north is the "Asian World Market" mall/grocery off of Legacy, giant Siagon Mall at Jupiter & Belt Line in Garland, etc. There are bulk bags of dried Lion's Mane at the grocery store at Asian World Market -- just look in the aisle with all the dried mushrooms.

Really, though, any good sized Asian market, any where, probably has some form of Lion's Mane mushroom for sale.

Yes, but how would this compare in effectiveness to the powdered supplement forms? You said they were dried, does this reduce their quality?

#7 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Really looking forward to an answer to this question... ><

#8 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:13 AM

From my experience, the dried mushroom is not as effective as some of the extracts or full spectrum products that are now available. The dried mushrooms are a far cheaper alternative though, and sometimes easier to obtain. Plus if you're cooking with them, you're getting & enjoying the entire mushroom 'experience' anyway.

I generally use this product as far as targeting NGF goes (though they sometimes sell out):

http://www.mushroomh...products_id=102

My personal experience is that you just have a slightly noticable greater clarity (finer focus) of thought processes -- and dreams are more vivid at times.

You'll find much more LM information here, if you've not read it yet:

http://www.longecity...stimulating-ngf

Edited by trance, 12 September 2012 - 05:19 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

From my experience, the dried mushroom is not as effective as some of the extracts or full spectrum products that are now available. The dried mushrooms are a far cheaper alternative though, and sometimes easier to obtain. Plus if you're cooking with them, you're getting & enjoying the entire mushroom 'experience' anyway.

I generally use this product as far as targeting NGF goes (though they sometimes sell out):

http://www.mushroomh...products_id=102

My personal experience is that you just have a slightly noticable greater clarity (finer focus) of thought processes -- and dreams are more vivid at times.

You'll find much more LM information here, if you've not read it yet:

http://www.longecity...stimulating-ngf

Wow, thanks for the links!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users