• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

phosphatidylserine - does it help memory?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ket222

• 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

I have a bad memory and at 47 frequently search helplessly for words both when I talk and write. I just bought Vitamin Shoppe's phosphatidylserine complex, 500mg per serving; phosphatidylserine 100mg. The girl at the store (of course) said it is VERY helpful to her memory and keeping concentration. I don't know anything about chemistry. Does this stuff work? How much of an effect will it have on my memory? What is the best time of day to take it, and how many pills should I take a day?

The girl at the register said this is better for my brain that the liquid fish oil I was taking? Is this true? thanks

#2 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

PS is a pretty expensive thing though, it's worth trying but might not be a bang-for-buck nootropic. It could also help with sleep quality.
At your age, I recommend bacopa and getting enough riboflavin a day (1 to 2 caps a day) for subtle, but quick results in getting a little sharper.
Fish oil is good for overall health and mood, but won't necessarily help with thought processes too much.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Crispy Cat

• 76 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

unfortunately PS is one of the chemicals i know little about
however if you wanted to look into nootropic supplements id suggest reading about piracetam!
its the most well researched of the nootropic family and alot of people say it really helps vocabulary after a few weeks use!
i have experienced this as well as feeling more confident after several weeks i found my emails and work reports were becoming more fluid, i also found that i never had a word or name stuck on the tip of my tongue it just flowed straight out effortlessly, i also found i was using more complex words and more than keeping up with the (all male) office banter!

#4 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

While plant-derived phosphatidylserine hasn't been shown to improve memory, but instead might lower cortisol and help with stress, cow-derived phosphatidylserine had a significant effect. However the cow-derived PS is no longer available because of concerns about disease-causing substances , even though nothing bad ever happened from cow derived PS as far as I know. However, I was researching months ago looking for some kind of solution to this: is there a phosphatidylserine availible that is like the cow-derived PS that could work almost or just as effectively? I've tried Sharp-PS gold or something along those lines which combines omega3 with the PS molecule. however it's extremely expensive and I am not sure if I had an effect on cognition besides the regular PS effect. Now, first I think I should mention, the cow-derived PS possibly has other components in it like Sphingomyelins [I think that's what they are called] which may have caused the cognitive enhancement. But if not , in my research I found out about a company called VayaPharm and they produce 3 products that are omega3 bonded PS molecules all used for a different purpose. They are Vayarin, Vayacog and Vayarol. One is used for cardiovascular health, one is used for general cognitive enhancement or prevention of old-age cognitive problems and the other is used as a treatment for people with A.D.D./ A.D.H.D.. . . . now, there isn't much study on these 3 substances. The only I've seen were done by the company itself, who patented the products for use in a medical setting. Therefore it is not obtainable online to consumers, but you may be able to get a perscription through your doctor. Try it out, It's something I wanted to try but I didn't.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have see no effect different from normal lecithin ,even lecithin much more better in effect ,it improve my dopamine and liver function so much better ,by have another lipid that work synergistic with .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users