Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol and nausea

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Been having some persistent nausea for months and as little as 75mg Res makes it subside a little. I'm thinking along the lines of stomach and inflammation and am going in to talk to doctor about it, but am wondering if anyone has insight (or a wild guess) on why it could be helping?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Resveratrol is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, which may or may not be relevant.

Marijuana and cannabinols have been very effective against persistent nausea, more documentation than for resveratrol.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 debu

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

I know someone that cannabinols helped out quite a bit, for now though, I'm trying to figure out a way to talk to my new doctor as to why Resveratrol would be helping with nausea and not have him think I'm nuts on our first visit. As you know there are so many doctors out there who push pills and leave it at "if it works keep taking it." I'd like to find out what the root cause is - the antifungal/bacterial is a good starting point to talk to about.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

You aren't likely to find a doctor who could tell you why resveratrol might be helping with your nausea. You need a biochemist, and even then, they'd have to be familiar with both resveratrol and nausea. "If it works keep taking it" is probably good advice here. On the other hand, if you ask the doctor what might be causing your persistent nausea, they might have some good suggestions.

#5 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

For me, resveratrol causes nausea. I take it 15 minutes before meals on an empty stomach. But as soon as I eat, it's disappears.

#6 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

For me, resveratrol causes nausea. I take it 15 minutes before meals on an empty stomach. But as soon as I eat, it's disappears.

How much are you taking? capsules or straight powder?
Have you tried taking it with meals?
Are you Asian or Swedish? There are some differences in pharmokinetics due to genetically linked enzyme efficiency.

#7 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

100 mg, capsules, from NOW foods including green tea extract and grape seed extract.
I only take it before meals, so the nausea is no problem.
I'm Swedish. Genetically linked enzyme efficiency? Please expand on that :)

#8 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I should have guessed you were Swedish from your avatar picture. I would think the grape seed extract is responsible for nausea rather than resveratrol. Grape seed extract has also been reported by some people to have caused stimulation, like "speed".

The CYP (and other) enzymes responsible for metabolizing things like resveratrol, quercetin, caffeine et al. vary in efficiency with genotype, and certain genotypes tend to cluster in particular ethnic groups. Just as many East Asians cannot metabolize alcohol efficiently, the enzyme responsible for metabolizing resveratrol also tends to be inefficient in East Asians, thus resveratrol will remain in the blood longer, and higher plasma levels will be achieved, for the same dose than for a typical Caucasian. It's not absolute, but explains why some are sensitive to certain drugs or supplements, others not.

I've met (and drunk) with Chinese who can drink like fish, while others turn red and get sick with a few sips of wine. I've seen the classic Asian alcohol flush in Irish who are stereotypically supposed to be capable of heavy drinking. I myself have an inefficient enzyme to metabolize aspirin, and require half the dose usually recommended for the same effect seen in most people, be it pain relief or stomach bleeding. On the other hand, I have an efficient enzyme to metabolize caffeine, and don't get coffee jitters.... but neither does it keep me awake when I'm driving. 23andme's gene analysis can pinpoint which snp's you may have, and give you some information. More information can be obtained by running your raw data from 23andme through the program on the Promethease website.

Edited by maxwatt, 18 December 2012 - 05:32 PM.

• like x 1

#9 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks a lot. Very good response.
I have a few Asian friends who manifest the alcohol flush. They commonly excuse this as an allergy to alcohol.

About the resveratrol;
I got horrible reactions when combining my Resveratrol (including grape seed and green tea extract) with curcumin extract (including a few mg piperine).
It made me feel nauseous and actually made me manifest symptoms of the common cold; histamine release and the like.
I'm pretty sure histamine-release was involved in my reaction to Resveratrol+Curcumin, since a 2nd generation antihistamine somewhat remedied the situation.

Now I don't use Resveratrol and Curcumin at the same time; I've discontinued resveratrol for the benefit of Curcumin.

I'm probably going to continue taking my resveratrol, but prior to bed. Since the reaction won't bother me while asleep.

But still, Maxwatt could be right in that it's not the Resveratrol I'm reaction to, but the 100 mg of Grape seed extract included in the pills.

#10 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Try a 98% pure resveratrol, with no grape seed extract, and let us know how you fare: one more datapoint.

#11 debu

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I have an efficient enzyme to metabolize caffeine, and don't get coffee jitters.... but neither does it keep me awake when I'm driving. 23andme's gene analysis can pinpoint which snp's you may have, and give you some information. More information can be obtained by running your raw data from 23andme through the program on the Promethease website.

Very interesting information about the gene analysis, I had no idea they drilled down into stuff like that. I have the opposite enzyme as you - caffeine keeps me jittery for a full 12 hours. I don't metabolize booze or caffeine well anymore and a half a pill of pure Resveratrol is definitely enough to feel. Might have to do one of 23andme's kits.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Try a 98% pure resveratrol, with no grape seed extract, and let us know how you fare: one more datapoint.

I tried Resveratrol (500 mg) combined with Curcuminoids (400 mg) and 5 mg of Piperine. Without Green tea flavonoids or Grape seed extract.
The same experience occurred, but to a slighter degree; nausea, feelings of histamine-release (think an allergic reaction; rhinitis, eye irritation and decreased monoamine release) and slight dizziness.

I did the same thing a few days later: No negative effects. Now I use this regimen daily before first meal of the day.

My concluding theory is that:
Either there were some unknown data affecting the outcome, such as an underlying cold or slight illness.

Or, my favourite theory; the body has actually adapted to the hormesis provided by Resveratrol and supercompensated.
The mechanism affected by the combination has become stronger due to stimulation provided by the ingested supplement stack.

Could my second theory be valid?

I remembed how my body adapted while practicing Caloric restriction or Intermittent fasting;
the first few days were painful, but the body adapted to the stressors. Could this be something like that?

If so, could I benefit from increasing my Resveratrol intake further, little by little? I'm at 500 mg daily now.

Edited by chung_pao, 25 December 2012 - 02:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users