Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Why no talk of Saffron?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 anon2042

• 84 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'm surprised there's hardly any talk of Saffron on this forum. I have a bottle I haven't yet tried due to going through other combinations and being on things that could have interacted, but I remain curious.

Saffron has been shown to help depression in a few studies. The main constituents that seem to come into play here are crocin and safranal. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information on what they are doing, but this article (http://www.actahort..../650/650_54.htm) suggests, "Crocin may act via the uptake inhibition of dopamine and norepinephrine, and safranal via serotonin." The article "Saffron in phytotherapy: Pharmacology and clinical uses" seemed to go into some more detail, mentioning also an effect on NDMA receptors, but I can't get the full text of it. I was also seeing that safranal acted as an anxiolytic in some articles, perhaps involving GABA-A (http://www.mums.ac.i.../saffron/a5.pdf)

In this study, it was shown to be more effective than placebo for depression:
http://onlinelibrary...r.1647/abstract

In this study (sorry for pdf) saffron was equal in effectiveness to Prozac:
http://www.narvalpha...NA_elsevier.pdf

If not for its effects on depression, check this out: it was equal in efficacy to Aricept in this study:
http://link.springer...-1706-1?LI=true

Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when certain supplements aren't talked about because they're not the "fad" or they just don't seem to work all that well. When you buy saffron it's often advertised as a weight loss supplement, much like others that focus on stress related eating due to the antidepressant effect. I see it get a lot of bad reviews due to that, but I don't really trust people who think that taking a bit of saffron is going to really change a serious weight issue.

Thoughts?
  • like x 2

#2 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm pretty curious now. I think its ridiculous for them to automatically jump to the conclusion that saffron effects those specific receptors. Saffron also seems to work as an aphrodisiac! This means it could be a natural melacortin agonist. Melanocortin also is antidepressant.
Nobody talks about this compound because its so damn expensive.

Edited by kevinseven11, 16 December 2012 - 04:45 PM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nootrope

• 88 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I've started drinking saffron tea regularly (I try for a cup a day with a meal with fat). There are quite a few purported benefits besides mood. Although it is expensive, there are positive political effects, because the U.S. is encouraging Afghani farmers to plant saffron instead of opium poppy (which also brings in huge returns). Opium leads to black market sales and supports the Taliban.

Also, it's not that expensive considering a little goes a long way. I can get a week or two's supply for about $7, or about 50 cents a cup. I'd pay twice that much for regular tea at a cafe.

One problem is that because of the high price some commercial saffron is rumored to be fake.
  • Informative x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#4 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Where do you get it?

#5 Hip

• 2,388 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not really that expensive.

You can buy a gram of Spanish saffron for around $8.

The daily dose required for antidepressant effects of saffron starts around 30 mg. So that means a daily dose is less than 25 cents.
  • like x 1

#6 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

The daily dose required for antidepressant effects of saffron starts around 30 mg. So that means a daily dose is less than 25 cents.

Where?

#7 RJ100

• 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Expensive, but this stuff is absolutely not colored safflower or any other BS artificial saffron.

http://www.penzeys.c...eyssaffron.html

I use it for cooking - never even occurred to me to make tea from it..

#8 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yes, genuine saffron is bloody expensive!
Read here:
http://miss-swiss.co...10000-kilogram/

1 flower only 3 stigmas! Wow!

#9 Dracula

• 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

bump
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#10 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

What do you think of this supplier:
http://saffron.com/
They're much less expensive, and claim to have the best quality (doesn't everyone?).

Saffron Threads, Sargol. 230-250 Units of Color. Pharmaceutical Grade. Kosher, ISO, and HACCPS Certified.
• Afghan Saffron Thread 2 JARS-5g ea $37.95
• Afghan Saffron Threads 5 gr. $21.95
• Afghan Saffron Threads 1 gr. jar $5.99

This supplier is a bit more expensive but still less than others that were posted before:
http://saharsaffron.com/

Edited by smithx, 04 January 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#11 Buzzing Health

• 17 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

The only Saffron supplement that has worked for me and had an amazing effect probably due to its serotonin boosting like effect was the life extension one I believe it is an extract if Im not mistaken.

As others on the board have commented it is extremely rare to find authentic saffron around the UK the genuine stuff is expensive however I have drank it whilst on holiday in India and I had more or less the same response as the supplement however I dont discount the milk which was warmed and unpasteurized.
  • like x 2

#12 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Well I brought 5 grams of Saffron off ebay and thought I would have a go. Not wanting to drink a tea or anything like that, I stuffed the stuff in a few capsules and took 2 Sunday afternoon at around 3pm. This was all up around 300mg - 400mg. Felt quite pleasant for the rest of the day. On Monday I didn't take any and on Tuesday morning I took another cap and again at around midday for another 300 - 400mg. Started to feel euphoric much like the high from taking too much codeine or when smoking cannabis but without the silly behaviour etc. On Tuesday night, I prepared the next 2 caps and ate some of the spilled threads - maybe 15 - 20mg worth and the euphoria increased to levels of the afternoon.

It is now 24 hours since the last cap and can still feel some of the euphoria. I will not take the caps I prepared for today and instead, tonight I will prepare and take 1 ~30mg cap. I will continue on 1 ~30mg cap per day and see what happens.

I did some research and found that the euphoria is well known. Also came across an article that indicated that a dose of 1.5 grams could be toxic. ( http://www.sentex.ca...on/saffron.html ) Seems that we need to be careful with this one.

I guess this may go some way to explaining it's effect on depression. It has certainly helped my depression but I really want to get the dose down and not feel high all day. Yes it is fun but I am sure it is not good for me long term.

Anyone else that tries this stuff at high dose, please post your results.
  • like x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#13 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Shame this thread just died.

This stuff isn't even expensive but people probably just dismiss it as soon as they see the word 'saffron'.

I've just started trying saffron, and so far it has had pleasant mood enhancing effects.

It's just a complete bitch to dose when you buy the strands. I'm basically using guess work, to dose it.

I am so tempted just to buy an extract (such as the LEF one) and not have to bother with this hassle!

I haven't felt anything in the way of euphoria, but then, I don't really want to, either.

Interestingly, it is, apparently, an aphrodisiac. For me though, the jury is still out with this.

I'll continue to experiment. I'm going to take it for the next week to see if it has benefits on any other areas of my core symptoms.

Edited by Thorsten2, 05 July 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#14 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

[...]
It's just a complete bitch to dose when you buy the strands. I'm basically using guess work, to dose it
[...]
I'll continue to experiment. I'm going to take it for the next week to see if it has benefits on any other areas of my core symptoms.

You don't have access to a mg weight? They are not much more expensive than a shipment of Saffron, might well be worth it! Also, looking forward to updates, thanks for reviving this thread!

#15 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

[...]
It's just a complete bitch to dose when you buy the strands. I'm basically using guess work, to dose it
[...]

You don't have access to a mg weight? They are not much more expensive than a shipment of Saffron, might well be worth it! Also, looking forward to updates, thanks for reviving this thread!

I guess I should get one. Just lazy, really. Nothing to do with the saffron, though - ha.

Saffron definitely feels serotonergic. It seems to improve my mood but it doesn't effect the obsessional part of my depression, in any way. Nor does it do anything for my panic symptons.

On the plus side, It seems to be fairly good for GAD related symptoms.

Also, for a serotonergic compound, it doesn't affect sexual performance, at all. In fact, I can see why it might be touted as an aphrodisiac, because, it relaxes you.

Another plus, is the fact it lasts absolutely ages. I only need to dose it in the morning and it lasts all
day. I wake up the following morning, still feeling it (amazing, considering I am putting 6/7 strands in my mouth - a small, tiny pinch - yet, is obviously pretty potent).

I think it would be best to take something dopaminergic, alongside it. It feels nice on its own but you do kind of feel like your missing something. Perhaps the serotonergic effects antagonize dopaminergic tone (like many 5HT compounds), to some degree. I feel very little excitement or joy on saffron (which I do experience, at baseline). Everything just feels warm, cosy, safe and fine.

There was a study done on rats which showed two significant compounds which contributed to the antidepressant effects of saffron (I forget their names and writing this in a hurry). One affected serotonin. The other affected noradrenalin and dopamine. Unfortunately, the compound affecting noradrenalin and dopamine isn't absorbed by humans. The compounds are mentioned in the original post of this thread -

http://www.dr-bob.or...sgs/764706.html

Edited by Thorsten2, 06 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

• like x 1

#16 KC_in_SD

• 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

There are now capsules of the extract sold, I think they're made from a slightly lower down part of the plant (?)  and so aren't as expensive as commercial saffron but still have the same compounds.

Edited by KC_in_SD, 14 August 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#17 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

For those who would like to give saffron a whirl, LEF is currently offering 60% off their saffron/ satiereal product (part of their "whole body" sale):

http://www.lef.org/v...-Satiereal.html

Edited by blood, 15 August 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#18 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

There are now capsules of the extract sold, I think they're made from a slightly lower down part of the plant (?)  and so aren't as expensive as commercial saffron but still have the same compounds.

This seems to contradict info provided by a seller posted earlier:

http://saffron.com/cons_guide.html
The Style of the saffron plant, has NO CULINARY VALUE, that means NO AROMA, FLAVOR or COLOR. If is left attached to the red stigmas, it adds 30% to 50% DEAD weight to the saffron, and you pay for it.

What compounds are they talking about and what quantities of them?

#19 KC_in_SD

• 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Well, I'm not concerned with the culinary value, only the crocin content, but what I buy is a standardized extract so maybe it is pure stigma but it seems relatively inexpensive compared to the price of culinary saffron. I wasn't sure, hence the "I think" and the question and in summary I'm probably wrong -- it probably is pure stigma.

• Good Point x 1

#20 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Saffron can be purchased at Trader Joe's in my area with ease, I like how subtle and flavorful it is.   You can pop a few strands in your mouth oradd a few strands of it to tea and take solace in the fact that it is not Prozac. Also from what Ive read, Prozac can cause sexual function issues. The idea that a natural substance can provide Prozac like effects; while possibly enhancing sexual function (all available at the local grocery store), is impressive. 

I wonder how much of its sexual enhancement has to do with the fact that it could reduce performance anxiety? 

Lastly, if the natural form of it works for you, I see no need to use a concentrated extract. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by DbCooper, 16 August 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#21 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

Top 9 Herbs for Mental Health

http://www.globalhea...-mental-health/

What do you guys think of this saffron product:

http://hawaiipharm.c...us-extract.html

#22 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

0.06 oz of saffron at Walmart is about $18. The most expensive spice on the isle! I wonder if the 2 oz product from Hawaii Pharm is a steal?

http://hawaiipharm.c...us-extract.html

#23 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

how is cooking with saffron done? Do I just throw it in the pan and cook it with anything? I'm on a keto diet, so if I cook some ground beef, do I just throw in some saffron threads and that's it? It wouldn't destroy any of the important qualities of saffron would it? Can it be taken as is in the mouth? So if I put a tiny thread in my mouth to dissolve or swallow it, is this OK too? How many threads is sufficient? I've never cooked with it before so I wouldn't know.

Edited by eon, 15 March 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#24 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

has anyone here tried Taja Tea's saffron teas? I bought 2 boxes at Marshalls for $3 a box (20 tea bags per box). It didn't state how much saffron is in each teabags but saffron is saffron. This will be the first time I will try saffron, hopefully I'll like it.

#25 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:43 AM

Got some Piping Rock Saffron extract just for kicks, and to see if it might help my mood, suppress appetite, alleviate anxiety, etc..  88.5 mg Saffronex ™ per capsule.  Suggested dosage 1 capsule AM and 1 PM/day.  I'll update on my experience. Just started taking it tonight.

Edited by tintinet, 29 March 2015 - 01:43 AM.

#26 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

I shall wait. I haven't tried my saffron teas yet. I didn't want any interaction with kava. But I will keep everyone up to date as well. If anyone here has links to studies on what saffron is really good for or which neurotransmitter it affects, please post some studies. 

#27 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

You take kava?  Too risky for me. How much and how often?  

#28 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:00 AM

The Kava product I take is this:

http://www.terrafirm...e-herbal-elixir

It doesn't state how much is in it but I only take the suggested serving of 1 teaspoon. I take it 2-3 times a week sometime every other day, sometimes 2 days in a row, sometimes 3 days apart, just depends.

What risks do you speak of? The liver issue stuff everyone's heard about? I think everyone knows that and perhaps the scenario involved that played out which was it could have been a bad batch at that time when people had liver issues. It was a time when kava was still new to the west. I would think the people who had issues with Kava used Kava to get high (i.e. they were abusing it, the way people would abuse prescription pain killer medications other than using it for what its intended for).

Kava is the only product that got me to do things I hadn't done in almost 20 years like throwing out things I hoarded throughout the years due to my OCD/hoarding behavior. It's hard to believe I had notes and items I held on to dating back to the late 90's, and a belt bag from 1995 that I never used but felt too "guilty" to throw or give away.

But back to saffron...

I've seen this spice at Walmart so I was wondering how do I use this to cook, do I just drop it in the pan at the beginning of the cooking or at the end? I would think the more it gets cooked the alkaloids wouldn't be active as when you have it less cooked. So if I boil some ground beef do I drop a sprinkle of saffron and that's how it's used? I don't know how saffron taste like or how to use it in cooking. 

You take kava?  Too risky for me. How much and how often?  

Edited by eon, 30 March 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#29 Maricela Centeno

• 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:37 AM

I'm new here and I'm reading your posts. There are already in the market saffron extract supplements for mood and depression, mainly online. Clinical studies done on saffron and depression have used 30 mg of a saffron extract 2%safranal. When buying a saffron supplement please make sure it is the right supplement. There are many saffron supplements out there oriented to people trying to lose weight. This is NOT the concentration link to the depression studies. This diet supplements contain only a saffron extract .03% safranal. I'm personally taking Omami Mood Farma for the last 10 months and I have been able to reduce my celex dosage from 40 mg to 10 mg.
Regarding the price, it is about $.10 per capsule which is pretty affordable.
So far no side effects.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 phix

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

I'm new here and I'm reading your posts. There are already in the market saffron extract supplements for mood and depression, mainly online. Clinical studies done on saffron and depression have used 30 mg of a saffron extract 2%safranal. When buying a saffron supplement please make sure it is the right supplement. There are many saffron supplements out there oriented to people trying to lose weight. This is NOT the concentration link to the depression studies. This diet supplements contain only a saffron extract .03% safranal. I'm personally taking Omami Mood Farma for the last 10 months and I have been able to reduce my celex dosage from 40 mg to 10 mg.
Regarding the price, it is about $.10 per capsule which is pretty affordable.
So far no side effects.

This is confusing. Quoting from Examine:

Using saffron in food will provide the same effects as supplementation, since saffron supplements are dehydrated extracts of the spice. Saffron does not have a high margin of safety, so care should be taken during supplementation. The standard daily dose is 30mg, used for up to eight weeks. It is possible that even double the dose could result in harm to the body. Further research is needed to determine the safe level of saffron supplementation. Prudent supplementation is advised until more information is available.

Now, the safranal content of the non-standardized commercial dry extracts seems to be much lower than 2%, and it varies widely. See for instance: 

Caballero-Ortega H., Pereda-Miranda R., Abdullaev F. I.

HPLC quantification of major active components from 11 different saffron (Crocus sativus L.) sources. Food Chemistry2007;100(3):1126–1131.

Lage M, Cantrell C.

Quantification of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) metabolites crocins, picrocrocin and safranal for quality determination of the spice grown under different environmental Moroccan conditions. Sci Hortic. 2009;121:366–73.

In the first paper the average safranal content from samples of different countries varies in the range  0.02% - 0.13%. In the second paper, with all samples from Morocco but grown under different environmental conditions, it goes from 0.04% to 0.48%. To make things even more complicated, it is noticed that different extraction and quantification methods may yield inconsistent results. Finally, If we add the warning about the narrow safe dose margin, it seems puzzling how to figure out a suitable dose from the dried powder or strands.    

It sells for around 4-6 euro per gram here. It is traditionally used to season the famous paella dish, BTW. Not sure though if that is the best way to reap the health benefits since the safranal component is a volatile oil according to wikipedia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users