Photo
- - - - -

Social Anxiety supplements

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 klink67

• 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I am new to this forum so I will give an intro of myself.

I am currently a 20 year old male college student that has diagnosed ADHD and social anxiety disorder, but otherwise I am perfectly healthy and exercise almost daily plus eat mostly organic/natural foods.

My current medication/supplements are:

Adderall IR 10 mg twice daily (soon to increase to 20 mg morning 10 mg afternoon)
Piracetam 1600 mg 1/day
Aniracetam 750 mg 1/day
One a Day mens multivitamin 1/day
Omega 3 Fish Oil 1200mg fishoil/360mg omega 3 three capsules daily
300 mg cannabis vaporized or ingested for sleep every night

This combo has helped my adhd enormously but I still suffer from a form of social anxiety which hurts with meeting new people/girls. For example I will no longer get anxious in crowds/classroom but when it comes to talking to strangers including girls I just will not do it unless they open me first. This obviously creates a huge issue with meeting girls because for the most part I need to start a conversation with them. In a way I do not have anxiety but have conditioned myself not to talk to people from past untreated social anxiety/ADHD.

Are there any other herbs, supplements, or medication that will help my social anxiety? My doc wants me on Celexa but I refuse to take any SSRI

#2 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

My initial reaction would have been a dopamine agonist but on the legal side, Adderral is already pretty much the gold standard. So, is there any particular reason why you refuse to take an SSRI? Personally, I feel their downsides are a bit overblown (at least compared to the alternatives).

Also, I think I would drop the cannabis - it can be quite anxiogenic.

You might want to read http://www.longecity...nd-self-esteem/

Edited by nupi, 18 December 2012 - 07:21 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Cerebrolysin, See Thread

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

You don't simply fix every problem with drugs

#5 LBGSHI

• 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

You might try upping your dose of aniracetam.

I stopped taking aniracetam because I didn't like the emotional blunting effect it had on me, but I did notice that at a couple of grams or more, I was basically never worried about anything. Certainly, I still had survival instinct (I wouldn't walk in front of a moving bus), and I wasn't devoid of an understanding of cause and effect (I wouldn't skip work because I felt like staying home, because logically that would lead to potential loss of employment, which would be problematic), but the emotional side of problem-solving and decision-making was completely gone. It was quite a nice feeling, actually. Several people told me that I came off a little dry, something like Spock from Star Trek, and after halting aniracetam as a test and looking back, I had to agree, and thus stopped altogether. However, I would still take it if I needed single-minded concentration at the cost of multitasking capability possibly being impaired, and emotional blunting.

Give it a shot for a couple of days, and see how it goes.

#6 PigeonParty

• 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I've heard good things about using Phenibut for social anxiety. It can be addictive and have some nasty withdrawal symptoms though, so I wouldn't use it more than once or twice a week.

#7 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Meditation/brainwave entrainment (Neuro-Programmer 3). Read some books and watch some videos on YouTube that talk about coping strategies and how to overcome the fear you have. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy may also help.

Edited by Joel, 18 December 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#8 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I developed sexual side effects with paxil and strattera so I stopped, plus I saw what happened to my grandparents after years on SSRI's. There personality took a turn for the worse and greatly improved a few months after stopping them.

I am only using cannabis at night for sleep and if I could deal with the memory impairment I would use it for anxiety during the day but only certain strain work for this. I am trying to quit but I have sleep issues if I stop because of the Adderall.

I will try increasing my aniracetam and look into sublamiene(sp), maybe some cerebrolysin, phenibut, CBT

#9 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I also agree you cant solve every problem with drugs but I do not agree that I should continue living like this hoping for girls to approach me first...

I will mention that I have a lot going for me that increases my confidence and attractiveness to women but if I do not approach first I miss quite a bit of opportunity.

Whats odd is that I am a manager and have no issues approaching strangers when the business need arises but if it involves personal not business related I simply do not do it.

#10 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

My initial reaction would have been a dopamine agonist but on the legal side, Adderral is already pretty much the gold standard. So, is there any particular reason why you refuse to take an SSRI? Personally, I feel their downsides are a bit overblown (at least compared to the alternatives).

Also, I think I would drop the cannabis - it can be quite anxiogenic.

You might want to read http://www.longecity...nd-self-esteem/

Nupi you seem to be similar to me after reading your posts let em know if you find anything that really works

I might try switching to dexedrine because vyvanse had actually made me very social and focused but lasted to long and caused insomnia/aggressiveness. Maybe a ritalin type med would be better for me.

#11 LBGSHI

• 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Meditation/brainwave entrainment (Neuro-Programmer 3).

While listening to repetitive, rhythmic sounds could quite certainly relax someone, I would advise anyone who's interested in 'brainwave entrainment' to do their homework before spending too much time or money. For example, a simple glance at Wikipedia's page concerning the topic would be useful: http://en.wikipedia....ave_entrainment

Aside from that, keep in mind that 'brain waves' are caused by electrical impulses from ion current flows in the brain. In other words, 'brain waves' are a byproduct of brain activity, not the other way around. It's illogical to assume that the brain's externally measurable electrical activity would be altered by 'binaural beats' or any similar method (and I don't believe any studies have shown this to occur), and even more illogical to assume that this would result in any cognitive or mental effects. However, as the brain is still considerably unexplored in many facets, I would of course be very interested in any documentation anyone has to the contrary.

#12 Heh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

I developed sexual side effects with paxil and strattera so I stopped, plus I saw what happened to my grandparents after years on SSRI's. There personality took a turn for the worse and greatly improved a few months after stopping them.

I am only using cannabis at night for sleep and if I could deal with the memory impairment I would use it for anxiety during the day but only certain strain work for this. I am trying to quit but I have sleep issues if I stop because of the Adderall.

I will try increasing my aniracetam and look into sublamiene(sp), maybe some cerebrolysin, phenibut, CBT

Cannabis works through GABA for what you are talking about. Find/try more supplements that increase GABA. Melatonin can also help you fall asleep. I don't really like stimulants (nicotine, caffeine, adderall, etc) or the "harder" stuff (cannabis, shrooms, etc). They can be great occasionally for some (I never touch them), but there is usually a better way.

Things that help with sleep: Melatonin, Bacopa, Ashwagandha, Choline, Zinc, Magnesium. fish oil, and lowering the amount of Adderall/stimulants you need.

There are many supplements that help with the side effects of Adderall, help to potentiate Adderall, and help to weaken or eliminate certain problems Adderall is being used to treat, allowing you to significantly reduce your dosage. That would be a good thing. Long term Adderall use isn't helping you much, so the lower the dose/frequency the better.

Meditation/brainwave entrainment (Neuro-Programmer 3).

While listening to repetitive, rhythmic sounds could quite certainly relax someone, I would advise anyone who's interested in 'brainwave entrainment' to do their homework before spending too much time or money. For example, a simple glance at Wikipedia's page concerning the topic would be useful: http://en.wikipedia....ave_entrainment

Aside from that, keep in mind that 'brain waves' are caused by electrical impulses from ion current flows in the brain. In other words, 'brain waves' are a byproduct of brain activity, not the other way around. It's illogical to assume that the brain's externally measurable electrical activity would be altered by 'binaural beats' or any similar method (and I don't believe any studies have shown this to occur), and even more illogical to assume that this would result in any cognitive or mental effects. However, as the brain is still considerably unexplored in many facets, I would of course be very interested in any documentation anyone has to the contrary.

Neuro-Programmer 3 is free for a long enough period of time that you can try it and see if it works. If it works and you can't afford the program, then you can find free audio tracks on YouTube that have similar effect. This is slightly unrelated, but you can read the anecdotal reports on this site, and also search PubMed for studies showing a significant improvement in the cognition of ADD/ADHD patients following brainwave entrainment.

Edited by Joel, 18 December 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#13 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Let me break it down for you a little bit OP. While there are many drugs that will ease the anxiety associated with social interaction, none of them will be permanent. It is highly unlikely that you will ever find a permanent pharmacological solution. Some drugs I can think of that are GREAT for reducing anxiety include: Alcohol, Xanax, other benzos, cocaine, as well as SSRIs, and a few others. Some supplements I can think of: Bacopa, Picamilon, L-theanine... there are many.

The only problem with using a supplement or drug to reduce your anxiety, is that more often than not, there is an INITIAL reduction of anxiety, however after prolonged use the anxiety comes back. Perhaps the best examples of this are Cannabis (probably the absolute best, at least in my personal opinion) and benzos. The reason this is, is because your brain is still trained to think a certain way. Your brain is still *trained* to be anxious. That first time you take xanax and feel completely at ease and free to talk to anyone and do anything, that only lasts a little bit. If you keep taking xanax, you won't retain the same feeling as you did. This is because your reaction has almost a rubber-band effect. You're stretched to the far side of anxiolysis, however you're still being PULLED back to anxiety. This is, as I said before, because your brain is **trained and wired** to be anxious. The ONLY way to achieve permanent anxiety reduction is to change how your mind works, specifically how your thoughts work.

It is necessary to identify the anxious thoughts, and understand them. Approach the thoughts as if you're approaching a wild animal that you're observing. You initially approach it from far away, simply observing, not wanting to directly interact with it. You observe your thoughts' habits, seeing their source and how long these anxious thoughts last. You objectively THINK about whether or not your anxious thoughts are rational or not. As someone who deals with/dealt with anxiety, it's important to separate the two pieces of it:

There's the physical sensation of anxiety, and then the mental thought processes that accompany it. The mind and body are completely connected, and particularly with anxiety, one sensation is not often felt without the other. That said, if you're able to take a step back mentally and look at the situation that has made you physically anxious, try and identify whether or not it is rational. E.g, thinking "that person isn't going to like me because I'm weird, I don't have things to say, etc." Look at that statement. This statement will divide people into different categories. There are some that really do not have much capacity for social functioning, in which this would require different training. For the vast majority of us though, this is simply an anxious statement that holds no -real- value. We've all had awkward moments, that's simply part of life. However, if you're able to hold a conversation and you have in the past, if you have friends and you can recall a time when you've had a conversation without anxiety, then this is simply an anxious statement without real basis. It's particularly important to look at your past history to show yourself that you're more capable than you tell yourself.

So, you've proven to yourself that this statement is baseless. Great! But the anxiety is still there...You still can't talk to that girl, you still can't initiate the conversation. That's okay. Simply realizing this statement isn't going to suddenly make you Don Juan. However, it starts your mind down the path of change. This is the first step to changing your actual thought processes. It takes practice, as practice makes perfect. It may even help to use supplements to achieve a state of lack of anxiety, temporarily, so you can look at how you feel and say "hey, this is how I should really be feeling. This is how it feels to not be anxious." By simply realizing and understanding a non-anxious state, it will make it almost a goal. You think to yourself, "man that felt really good to not be anxious...now I understand what it feels like, I'm going to work on feeling that way all the time."

It takes quite a bit of practice and work to change the way your brain thinks, but it's the only way to actually kill or really reduce your anxiety. Drugs and supplements are really temporary things. I think of SSRIs as a way of showing you how it feels to not be anxious, and why you shouldn't be anxious, from which you work on other changes in your life that--with your lack of anxiety--establish CONFIDENCE in yourself and your life. This way, once you've established these things, you can get off of your SSRI and continue to be anxiety-free. This is why SSRIs WITH a therapist are far more effective than simply one or the other. It's all about REALIZING your logical fallacies, and then working to change them. Drugs won't change your thoughts so much as you can yourself.

One of the greatest aids to this would be meditation. Meditation helps more than almost anything for taking a step back to observe your thoughts and understand them. Meditation also quickens the rate of synaptic plasticity in your brain, quickening the rate at which you can actually physically change your brain and your thoughts. I would consider meditation to be very, very essential in observing and understanding your thoughts, so that you may change them. You cannot change what you don't understand.

Last note I would like to make, is that Cerebrolysin is of great help on the pharmacological end. Unlike all other drugs, which mostly just modify your neurological conditions for a brief period of time (while the drug is in your body), Cerebrolysin is a neuropeptide solution containing BDNF, NGF, GDNF, IGF-1 and IGF-2, as well as a whole host of amino acids (18 different ones from what I remember) necessary for the construction of new neural pathways, and the furthering of synaptic plasticity. Cerebrolysin also greatly helps in "righting the wrongs" so-to-speak, in your brain. I would highly recommend stopping Adderall entirely before you start Cerebrolysin though, as Adderall is neurotoxic and long-term use is far, far more detrimental than helpful.

TL;DR
The only way you can change your anxiety is by realizing you need to change your thoughts. Drugs can only do so much, and they will never, ever, ever actually fully fix your problem.
  • like x 1

#14 adamh

• 1,039 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

You've been given a plethora of drugs to try. I would think picamillon would work well. Beta blockers for situational anxiety like a meeting you are dreading. It can take away the fight or flight syndrome and allow you to be yourself.

Long term, all that will help is to realize you are able to deal with these situations. Seek out stressful situations, try to approach them on your terms, perhaps at first with a chemical bit of help but later without. Try talking to a girl without the end goal of a date or relationship on your mind. Just try to make conversation, let that be the goal. As a side benefit, it may make you seem hard to get and therefore more desirable.

#15 vali

• 61 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

This topic has some good info: http://www.longecity...ly-effectively/

I haven't had much anxiety in my life, but when I have a little I take Theanine, which is safe to use often, and when I have a lot, I take phenibut, which you can't use more than once or twice a week. I also take high doses of piracetam (4-5 grams) which makes me relaxed and happy.

#16 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

I will start bacopa tomorrow. Cerebrolysin will only be taken by me if I can get in a oral administration form like a pill. I will also try upping my dose of both piracetam and aniracetam. I will look into picamillion and beta-blocker.

Thank you for the detailed posts and good advice!

I will report back on how things turn out, I might look into kratom for once in a while instead of cannabis. My doc will not prescribe benzos to me.

#17 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

I will start bacopa tomorrow. Cerebrolysin will only be taken by me if I can get in a oral administration form like a pill. I will also try upping my dose of both piracetam and aniracetam. I will look into picamillion and beta-blocker.

Thank you for the detailed posts and good advice!

I will report back on how things turn out, I might look into kratom for once in a while instead of cannabis. My doc will not prescribe benzos to me.

Just to let you know, I had never injected anything before in my life before starting Cerebrolysin--but now that I'm 40 days in I can solidly say it has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life. After you get past the fear of the first injection, you realize that it is absolutely --not painful--. Just use a 23 or 25 gauge needle and it's tiny and barely feels like a pin prick. I would still suggest looking into the cerebrolysin a little more, it's really the only substance that causes permanent, verifiable changes in your brain.

#18 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

I also agree you cant solve every problem with drugs but I do not agree that I should continue living like this hoping for girls to approach me first...

I will mention that I have a lot going for me that increases my confidence and attractiveness to women but if I do not approach first I miss quite a bit of opportunity.

Whats odd is that I am a manager and have no issues approaching strangers when the business need arises but if it involves personal not business related I simply do not do it.

Your supposed to approach first lol. I know it sucks but it's the way it is. NO woman will approach you. Get that fantasy out of your head and start doing the approaching.
If you don't approach then women automatically deem you as a man incapable of taking risks. Risk taking is an attractive trait for men(to an extent of course).

#19 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Doesn't that just make it clear that the problem isn't lack of drugs in your brain but in your own decisions, learnt behaviour and thinking patterns that you can change step-by-step? Damn it seems like everything is trying to get fixed with pills. Can't sleep? Take this pill. Can't wake up? Take this pill. Can't eat? Take this pill. Anxiety? Pill. No confidence? Here's a confidence pill. Fucked up from all the pills? We have just developed a new pill that'll fix it.
  • like x 1

#20 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

That seems eerily familiar, especially that last part (though I am trying to stay out of the management role as far as doable)...

#21 obliviron

• 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

First thing's first: You are taking Adderall and DHA (It makes me very anxious).
Also, In the case of Adderall, there are alternatives to treat ADHD which have less side effects and which are less taxing on the body. From personal experience, you should try Modafinil (Rx) or Adrafinil. I've tried both and Adrafinil seems to be more potent for me.

Drop the cannabis if you are using it for sleep only, as there are better alternatives and (I advocate this for almost every single nootropic) it has not been researched enough.
Drop the multivitamin as well, it's much cheaper and productive to order and balance your daily amount of vitamins yourself.
Drop the Aniracetam until you're in a position where you're almost un-affected by your ADHD and social anxiety.

Try N-Actyl-L-Tyrosine (One of the best supplements out there atm. It's supplementation effect takes 1 - 3 days to notice - Generally: less mental mid-day dog and verbal improvement) and Tianeptine.
Obviously there's very good supplementation choices, and you should do your own research to figure out what will suit you best.

To recap, you should (IMO) be doing:
  • Alternative to Adderall (Talk to your doc about Modafinil, and do research on it (Adrafinil as well, although it's not Rx)).
  • No Cannabis.
  • Remove DHA from your list and see if it affects your anxiety.
  • Do your multivitamins yourself.
  • Double check your doses for all your supplements.
  • And finally, try tianeptine for anxiety - it works wonders.

#22 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Take gaba antagonists! Plain and simple.

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Most anxiety drugs (but esp. SSRIs) increase my anxiety when it comes to dating because they take away my confidence in my ability to perform sexually. If a drug has any sexual side effect on even a minority, I get the side effect. Is there anything for anxiety that doesn't have sexual side effects? (Wellbutrin is extremely anxiogenic for me, by the way.)

Edited by viveutvivas, 20 December 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#24 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

Well I was just prescribed trazadone 50mg for sleep, I will try it tonight but from what I read it seems to be one of the few antidepressants that decrease anxiety but has few negative sexual side effects.

Maybe look into that for anxiety

#25 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

First thing's first: You are taking Adderall and DHA (It makes me very anxious).
Also, In the case of Adderall, there are alternatives to treat ADHD which have less side effects and which are less taxing on the body. From personal experience, you should try Modafinil (Rx) or Adrafinil. I've tried both and Adrafinil seems to be more potent for me.

Drop the cannabis if you are using it for sleep only, as there are better alternatives and (I advocate this for almost every single nootropic) it has not been researched enough.
Drop the multivitamin as well, it's much cheaper and productive to order and balance your daily amount of vitamins yourself.
Drop the Aniracetam until you're in a position where you're almost un-affected by your ADHD and social anxiety.

Try N-Actyl-L-Tyrosine (One of the best supplements out there atm. It's supplementation effect takes 1 - 3 days to notice - Generally: less mental mid-day dog and verbal improvement) and Tianeptine.
Obviously there's very good supplementation choices, and you should do your own research to figure out what will suit you best.

To recap, you should (IMO) be doing:

• Alternative to Adderall (Talk to your doc about Modafinil, and do research on it (Adrafinil as well, although it's not Rx)).
  • No Cannabis.
  • Remove DHA from your list and see if it affects your anxiety.
  • Do your multivitamins yourself.
  • Double check your doses for all your supplements.
  • And finally, try tianeptine for anxiety - it works wonders.

I will be ordering these soon but I should have read your post earlier.

I had my appointment today and was kept on adderall, I also already took my fish oil but I do it at night before bed, do think DHA at ight will still cause anxiety?

I researched modafinil when I first started treatment but noticed that a crazy rash can develop and that it is not nearly as effective as adderall. But I will ask my doc if I can sample it next month.

All these suggestions have helped a great deal already Thanks

#26 Sun Nootropic

• 102 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

I haven't had much anxiety in my life, but when I have a little I take Theanine, which is safe to use often, and when I have a lot, I take phenibut, which you can't use more than once or twice a week. I also take high doses of piracetam (4-5 grams) which makes me relaxed and happy.

infro you offered helps. and i have good experience with Phenibut at small dose. why yours can`t use more than once or twice a week?
Piracetam is my favourite

#27 Sun Nootropic

• 102 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

infro you offered helps. and i have good experience with Phenibut at small dose. why yours can`t use more than once or twice a week?
Piracetam is my favourite

#28 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Most anxiety drugs (but esp. SSRIs) increase my anxiety when it comes to dating because they take away my confidence in my ability to perform sexually. If a drug has any sexual side effect on even a minority, I get the side effect. Is there anything for anxiety that doesn't have sexual side effects? (Wellbutrin is extremely anxiogenic for me, by the way.)

Maybe Afobazol (never tried so can't really say). Benzos definitely do not help stamina either (plus you coma across as a zombie, probably not too helpful for dating) and Beta Blockers are well known to have sexual side effects.

Or an SSRI+Viagra or Cialis.

And another one, Testosterone, but that has its own kind of sexual side effects I am told :)

#29 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Forgot the whole bunch of dopaminergics, those can go either way with anxiety but should definitely boost libido...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 klink67

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

Will ask my doc to trial both modafinil and ritalin seperately to see what is most effective for social anxiety and adhd. Ritalin is supposed to be neuro protective.
  • dislike x 1

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users