- - - - -

Piceatannol

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Just got a chance to read a closed thread from last year ,that ranked piceatannol the top sirt1 activator and thought it might warrant a little more discussion here since it scored 3x higher than resveratrol in their newly developed assay. Here's a link to the paper. which seems to have moved. Here's a summary of the assay rankings of compounds I could identify which got me thinking about lots of things:

piceatannol 3.09

pterostilbene 1.86

luteolin 1.45

fisetin 1.39

resveratrol 1.29

myricetin 0.43

quercetin 0.38

butein 0.04

If I understand their metrics, anything above a 1 is an activator and anything below is an inhibitor. Suggesting that maybe quercetin and resveratrol should not be taken together if you are interested in sirt1 activation.

I wonder if there might be some advantage in supplementing with piceatannol instead of resveratrol? I've only been able to identify one supplement supplier, Zetpil, who supplies 500 mg suppositories. But I did locate this paper on how to convert resveratrol into a form of piceatannol that is oil-soluble:

New Lipophilic Piceatannol Derivatives Exhibiting Antioxidant Activity Prepared by Aromatic Hydroxylation with 2-Iodoxybenzoic Acid (IBX)

Piceatannol (E-3,5,3’,4’-tetrahydroxystilbene) is a phytoalexin synthesized in grapes in response to stress conditions. It exhibits strong antioxidant and antileukaemic activities due to the presence of the catechol moiety. To modify some physical properties like solubility, and miscibility in non-aqueous media some new previously unreported piceatannol derivatives having lipophilic chains on the A-ring were prepared in good yields by a simple and efficient procedure. The key step was a chemo- and regioselective aromatic hydroxylation with 2-iodoxybenzoic acid (IBX). The new compounds showed antioxidant activity and seemed promising for possible applications as multifunctional emulsifiers in food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical fields.

Which got me thinking about the solubility of all these things, generally. Apparently resveratrol is relatively insoluble in both oils and water (.03mg/ml) but pretty soluble in ethanol (50 mg/ml) and dmso (16 mg/ml). Pure piceatannol, however, is somewhat more soluble in water (.5 mg/ml). While thats's greater than a 10x improvement over resveratrol, oil-soluble versions might be even better, perhaps rivaling C60 in evoo.

Pterostilbene looks pretty interesting too. It rates higher in the assay at 1.86 compared to resveratrol 1.29. And although its less soluble in water than resveratrol (.021 mg/ml) I found a reference that it's more lipophilic than resveratrol.

Howard
  • like x 1

#2 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Interesting. I wonder why Piceatannol hasn't been marketed by the supplement companies. Even Pterostilbene isn't common. We discussed it in this thread .http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/55446-compare-pterostilbene-quality-and-price/
I think low dose quercetin is combined with resveratrol to improve resveratrols bioavailability.
One of the issues with these substances is low bioavailability . I found this study that suggests that using plasma content may underestimate absorption .
" Determination of Quercetin and Resveratrol in Whole Blood—Implications for Bioavailability Studies "
" Comparing plasma and whole blood, up to 76% of the analyte, being associated with the cellular fraction, was unaccounted for when examining only plasma. This indicates the importance of analysing whole blood rather than plasma to avoid underestimating polyphenol absorption in bioavailability studies."

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fred_CALICO

• 106 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I turn around.

Pterostilbene is a degradation product of resveratrol in vivo.
quercetin as a cofactor for resveratrol is also present in the wine.
The piceatannol is present in the wine (even better if it is aged in cask in which Picea quercus).
The only problem is the current level of alcohol in wine.
It is too important now.
My idea, but I have no scientific evidence to report is that:
Mulled wine (70 ° Celsius for 10 minutes, then let cool for 1 to 2 hours) allows to maintain the pool of cofactors polyphenol eliminating the unnecessary part of the alcohol. Must retain a small portion of the alcohol and absorb during a meal containing some fat (olive oil for example).
The price is less than supplements. This is part of sustainable development.

http://ressources-nu...DERIC_00_00.pdf

It is also possible to practice decoctions of bark of young branches of oak. The roots of Quercus at 5 g decoction could do the trick.

Edit :
Another idea: promoting recipes with wine (cooked / heated)

http://www.taste.com... olive oil mash
replace the cock lentils or red beans

http://www.epicuriou...ne-Sauce-105463

Edited by sell58, 27 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users