Photo
- - - - -

Why does Maca give me motivation?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 NeuroNootropic

• 239 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

I suffer from dysthmia and every time I take Maca, it slightly, but noticeably increases my motivation after about a week or so of taking it. I found this study on male and female rats:

' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.ijbs.org/user/ContentFullText.aspx?VolumeNO=2&StartPage=15'] Substantial decrease in blood cortisol levels in a short- and longer-term trial and simultaneous tendency to lower blood ACTH, may indicate antidepressive effect of Maca-GO, which together with reduction in body weight, lowering triglycerides in blood plasma and increasing calcium and phosphorus deposition in bone and muscle tissues is worthy consideration in potential application to women at both, pre- and postmenopausal stage.

→ source (external link)

I also found a study done on perimenopausal women receiving maca as an alternative to HRT:

' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.ijbs.org/user/ContentFullText.aspx?VolumeNO=2&StartPage=143'] Results: Two months administration of Maca-GO significantly alleviated symptoms of discomfort observed in majority of women involved in the study (74%-87%) as assessed by Kupperman's Menopausal index. This was associated with significant increase in E2 and FSH, Progesterone and ACTH levels, and reduction in blood pressure, body weight, Triglycerides and Cholesterol levels. There was a distinctive placebo effect observed at the beginning of the study.

Conclusions: The results showed that in addition to reduction in body weight, blood pressure and increasing serum HDL and Iron, pre-gelatinized Maca-GO may be a valuable non-hormonal plant preparation for balancing levels of hormones (FSH, E2, PG and ACTH) and alleviating negative physiological and psychological symptoms (frequency of hot flushes, incidence in night sweating, interrupted sleep pattern, nervousness, depression and heart palpitations) experienced by women in perimenopausal stage. It appears that Maca-GO may act as a toner of hormonal processes, leading to alleviation of discomfort felt by perimenopausal women, hence, its potential use as non-hormonal alternative to HRT program.

→ source (external link)

What does this mean for men taking Maca? Does increasing FSH in men increase testosterone?

#2 Anewlife

• 210 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

FSH only increases testicular size and sperm, LH increases testosterone.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

In my experience, Maca pushes the gas pedal on your thyroid. Pre-adrenal problems maca worked great for me and gave me tons of energy. Post adrenal problems, it worsened my adrenals (damn, I loved that stuff). Maybe it's a thyroid effect.

#4 NeuroNootropic

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I found this article that found Maca to be antidepressant. Interestingly, Maca contains Quercetin:

These' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/6/23/']These outcomes seems not to be related to an increase in motor activity and/or changes in motivational properties to find the water tube, since there are no differences in exploratory behavior and number of approaches to the drinking tube in the training session between groups. It is also possible that an unspecific effect of Maca improving action on physical performances.

Apart from the steroidal estrogens, it has long been known that a large variety of exogenous compounds, including phytoestrogens, mimic the actions of endogenous estrogen to different extents [32]. Major phytoestrogens are flavonoids such as quercetin [33]. Other authors indicate that quercetin has a protective role on learning and memory [34,35]. Previous studies demonstrated that Maca hypocotyls contain flavonoids such as quercetin [36]. Also, the presence of anthocyanins has been reported in Maca hypocotyls [37]. The effects of anthocyanins on nervous systems were reported previously [38-40]. Other authors suggested that neuro-protective effects of estrogens are dependent not on their genomic properties as hormones but rather on their basic chemical properties as hydrophobic phenolic molecules [32]. In fact, phenolic compounds such as 2,4,6-trimethylphenol, N-acetylserotonin, and 5-hydroxyindole exhibit neuro-protective effects without any estrogenicity [32]. We and others have previously demonstrated that estradiol was not affected by treatment with Maca [3,41]. From this, Maca could be acting by another mechanism independent of estrogen activity as previously suggested [8].

In the forced swimming test, we observed that all three varieties, Yellow, Red and Black Maca reduced the immobility time in OVX mice without differences between them. The antidepressant activity of Maca could be due to the presence of phytoestrogens such as quercetin and anthocyanins. Quercetin presents antidepressant activity [42]. However, it is possible that other principles may be acting as anti-depressants, since in previous study it has been demonstrated that scores for depression were reduced after Maca treatment without changes in serum estradiol levels [3,16].

→ source (external link)

I wonder if I'll get a similar boost in motivation if take Quercetin alone.

#5 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

Updates?

Anyone else using maca?

#6 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:33 PM

Started using it a couple of weeks ago.  Seems to help stabilize my mood and dampen anxiety. Hard to be completely sure about this, though- so much depends upon extrinsic factors.

• like x 1

#7 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

J Med Food. 2014 May;17(5):535-42.
Antidepressant-like behavioral, anatomical, and biochemical effects of petroleum ether extract from maca (Lepidium meyenii) in mice exposed to chronic unpredictable mild stress.
Ai Z, Cheng AF, Yu YT, Yu LJ, Jin W. 
Abstract

Maca has been consumed as a medical food in Peru for thousands of years, and exerts anxiolytic and antidepressant effects. Our present study aimed to evaluate the behavior and anatomical and biochemical effects of petroleum ether extract from maca (ME) in the chronic unpredictable mild stress (CUMS) model of depression in mice. Three different doses of maca extract (125, 250, and 500 mg/kg) were orally administrated in the six-week CUMS procedure. Fluoxetine (10 mg/kg) was used as a positive control drug. Maca extract (250 and 500 mg/kg) significantly decreased the duration of immobility time in the tail suspension test. After treatment with maca extract (250 and 500 mg/kg), the granule cell layer in the dentate gyrus appeared thicker. Maca extract (250 and 500 mg/kg) also induced a significant reduction in corticosterone levels in mouse serum. In mouse brain tissue, after six weeks of treatment, noradrenaline and dopamine levels were increased by maca extract, and the activity of reactive oxygen species was significantly inhibited. Serotonin levels were not significantly altered. These results demonstrated that maca extract (250 and 500 mg/kg) showed antidepressant-like effects and was related to the activation of both noradrenergic and dopaminergic systems, as well as attenuation of oxidative stress in mouse brain.

PMID: 24730393

• like x 1

#8 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

I take tons of Maca. The effects are hard to describe, but overall I get back a little bit of that feeling I had when I was "alive" before this "chronic" depression or whatever it is settled in my brain after years of stress and trauma. It is certainty antidepressant. Just a little help anyway but is better than going to the shrink and not doing any progress.

In the past I also experienced more libido and huge ejaculation volume but now that I am really low in the sexual aspect from years of sleeping like shit from "depression" or "adrenal fatigue" I just get a push in "mental thirst for women and interest in female bodies" lol

Ah BTW you are supposed to cycle Maca to avoid loss of effect, 5 days on/2 days off.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 13 October 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#9 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

When I first started using maca about a year and a half ago it was nuts. Gave me tons of energy and a huge libido boost. Now it barely does anything when I try it, but I think it's because I'm using much stronger chinese herbs, which overpower the maca. 

#10 kemiclinguist

• 23 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

When I first started using maca about a year and a half ago it was nuts. Gave me tons of energy and a huge libido boost. Now it barely does anything when I try it, but I think it's because I'm using much stronger chinese herbs, which overpower the maca. 

Which herbs are those?

• like x 2

#11 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Quite a few at this point, but in terms of energy, endurance and libido, the main culprits are cordyceps, ginseng, deer antler (don't buy into the bodybuilding HGH hype, but as an energy/motivation/libido enhance, a high quality product makes a huge difference), placenta (yup), epimedium and cistanche. The quality of the product and extract really affects it's potency, so don't go out to CVS and buy some ginseng product and expect great results. 

For example there's a product called Supreme Creation that includes most of these herbs above, I buy it off iHerb to save a few bucks. I'm really into TCM and work in a health food shop so I have easy access to a lot of these and am always experimenting with them.

#12 Zenfood

• 77 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

You are not the only one wondering this. I have answered the question on that thread.
http://www.longecity...norepinephrine/

No, quercetin nor anthocyanins won't create that desired effect as only maca seems to do. I have been experimenting with 500mg of quercetin for months now. Been taking 50g of bilberries (anthyocyanins) in my morning smoothie too. It is the activation of noradrenergic and dopaminergic systems that increases your motivation. It also has a acetylcholinesterase (Ache) inhibitory activity, which improves your short term memory. I'm quit sure that ones libido is related to dopamine and/or increased IGF-1. I love maca, however I take it sparingly and only use it when I want to surprise my girlfriend.

Edited by Zenfood, 16 October 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#13 navyblue

• 182 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

I found this article that found Maca to be antidepressant. Interestingly, Maca contains Quercetin:

These outcomes seems not to be related to an increase in motor activity and/or changes in motivational properties to find the water tube, since there are no differences in exploratory behavior and number of approaches to the drinking tube in the training session between groups. It is also possible that an unspecific effect of Maca improving action on physical performances.

Apart from the steroidal estrogens, it has long been known that a large variety of exogenous compounds, including phytoestrogens, mimic the actions of endogenous estrogen to different extents [32]. Major phytoestrogens are flavonoids such as quercetin [33]. Other authors indicate that quercetin has a protective role on learning and memory [34,35]. Previous studies demonstrated that Maca hypocotyls contain flavonoids such as quercetin [36]. Also, the presence of anthocyanins has been reported in Maca hypocotyls [37]. The effects of anthocyanins on nervous systems were reported previously [38-40]. Other authors suggested that neuro-protective effects of estrogens are dependent not on their genomic properties as hormones but rather on their basic chemical properties as hydrophobic phenolic molecules [32]. In fact, phenolic compounds such as 2,4,6-trimethylphenol, N-acetylserotonin, and 5-hydroxyindole exhibit neuro-protective effects without any estrogenicity [32]. We and others have previously demonstrated that estradiol was not affected by treatment with Maca [3,41]. From this, Maca could be acting by another mechanism independent of estrogen activity as previously suggested [8].

In the forced swimming test, we observed that all three varieties, Yellow, Red and Black Maca reduced the immobility time in OVX mice without differences between them. The antidepressant activity of Maca could be due to the presence of phytoestrogens such as quercetin and anthocyanins. Quercetin presents antidepressant activity [42]. However, it is possible that other principles may be acting as anti-depressants, since in previous study it has been demonstrated that scores for depression were reduced after Maca treatment without changes in serum estradiol levels [3,16].

→ source (external link)

I wonder if I'll get a similar boost in motivation if take Quercetin alone.

Started taking 500mg - 1000mg of Quercetin myself to see what effects it might have on norepinephrine. When norepinephrine is activated, at least for me, I can feel a slight stimulation at the back for my head. With dopamine stimulation its more around the sides as I'm very sensitive to the different stimulants. Nothing does this better for me than rhodiola though. After stopping the rhodiola due to it making it hard to fall asleep at night along with some head pressure in the morning, I started taking quercetin which seems to have a more mild effect. The quercetin just doesn't get me moving and accomplishing things like the rhodiola. However i'll keep it in the stack for all the other touted benefits. Never tried Maca as I was afraid it might have too much of stimulant effect.

#14 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Quite a few at this point, but in terms of energy, endurance and libido, the main culprits are cordyceps, ginseng, deer antler (don't buy into the bodybuilding HGH hype, but as an energy/motivation/libido enhance, a high quality product makes a huge difference), placenta (yup), epimedium and cistanche. The quality of the product and extract really affects it's potency, so don't go out to CVS and buy some ginseng product and expect great results. 

For example there's a product called Supreme Creation that includes most of these herbs above, I buy it off iHerb to save a few bucks. I'm really into TCM and work in a health food shop so I have easy access to a lot of these and am always experimenting with them.

The truth is that I wasted 62 dollars on the Dragon Herbs Tongkat Ali... Never felt anything from it?? I am highly dubious of the brand to be honest, who jacks up their stuff price like that? I think HYPERION HERBS is legit though, their Cordyceps made my breathing deeper, an AWESOME feeling for an exercise junkie. If I would want to supplement chinese stuff I would get powder from them, which is way better than capsules.

I think Barlowe´s Herbals is also legit going by someone´s else experience but haven´t tried anything from the company myself. They carry 80% ginsenosides Panax Ginseng and 40% Protodioscin Tribulus so thats pretty freaking impressive and want to try definetely.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 17 October 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#15 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

I find black Maca to be the best type, very strong stuff. I had to exercise every day to stabilize the drive it gave me.

• like x 2

#16 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

Brand/website, Galaxyshock? Therootofthematter carries cheap black maca in kilograms. 

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 18 October 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#17 PerfectSeek

• 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

I like that maca is in the broccoli family.  I tended to notice positive effects after a few days to week (energy, mood boost), which then tapered off or even became negative after 2+ weeks.  It definitely increased libido and semen production. 

Now I just don't take it everyday, treating it more like a food product that I occasionally consume.  

I used gelatinized black maca, found on amazon.  The taste and digestion were great.  I do recommend gelatinized maca over raw, seems odd to eat a tuber raw (you don't do this with potatoes, right?)

Edited by PerfectSeek, 18 October 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#18 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Brand/website, Galaxyshock? Therootofthematter carries cheap black maca in kilograms. 

I buy from a local seller here in Finland

#19 Zenfood

• 77 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

From where? I live in Helsinki. Kiitti etukäteen.

I buy from a local seller here in Finland

#20 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

From where? I live in Helsinki. Kiitti etukäteen.

FitnessFirst.fi

• like x 1

#21 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

The low quality of therootofthematter website makes me nervous to order from them.

#22 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

The low quality of therootofthematter website makes me nervous to order from them.

As it turns out, there looks to be some good Maca for sale at Costco of all places.

#23 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

The truth is that I wasted 62 dollars on the Dragon Herbs Tongkat Ali... Never felt anything from it?? I am highly dubious of the brand to be honest, who jacks up their stuff price like that? I think HYPERION HERBS is legit though, their Cordyceps made my breathing deeper, an AWESOME feeling for an exercise junkie. If I would want to supplement chinese stuff I would get powder from them, which is way better than capsules.

I think Barlowe´s Herbals is also legit going by someone´s else experience but haven´t tried anything from the company myself. They carry 80% ginsenosides Panax Ginseng and 40% Protodioscin Tribulus so thats pretty freaking impressive and want to try definetely.

Thats a bummer about the Tongkat, though I've never used Dragon Herbs' Tongkat. I like the brand because they sell some rare products that are hard to find elsewhere - gecko, deer and goat placenta, male silk moth, for example. The owner of Dragon Herbs also seems to go out of his way to source the very best products from clean environments, although there isn't any "proof" of this other than some photos of him at these places. That and I learned quite a bit from his book and there's a TON of great info on the website itself as well as his blog. If you like the "breathing deeper" aspect of cordyceps, Gecko Rockclimber might be a good pic, one of the best endurance enhancers I've used, but if you're over the company no worries.

But by all means, buy from Hyperion Herbs, I'm a fan of Brandon too. I just came across Barlowe's, really liked what I saw but I wonder where they are sourcing all these products from. Either way, once the bank account fills up a bit I do plan on buying a few items from there. Another good brand I've used is Jing Herbs.

Agreed :ph34r:  though my friend was impressed with the quality. 

• like x 1

#24 itpp

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

Just bought some 20:1 Maca from BPS called MacaPro.

I'll let you know how it does

#25 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

I wish they'd say which colour of maca they use in experiments.  Red, black and yellow maca all have different properties.

#26 itpp

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

I wish they'd say which colour of maca they use in experiments. Red, black and yellow maca all have different properties.

Great question
, I can ask them

What are the differences?

#27 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

I wish they'd say which colour of maca they use in experiments. Red, black and yellow maca all have different properties.

Great question
, I can ask them

I don't remember all of them.  Off of the top of my head black maca produces cognitive benefits that red doesn't. red shrinks the prostate where as black does not, but black increases sperm motility (or was it semen volume?) whereas red does not.

#28 itpp

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Great question
, I can ask them

I don't remember all of them. Off of the top of my head black maca produces cognitive benefits that red doesn't. red shrinks the prostate where as black does not, but black increases sperm motility (or was it semen volume?) whereas red does not.

Thanks, I just asked them on their forum
I'll let you know what they say

#29 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

Great question
, I can ask them

I don't remember all of them. Off of the top of my head black maca produces cognitive benefits that red doesn't. red shrinks the prostate where as black does not, but black increases sperm motility (or was it semen volume?) whereas red does not.

Thanks, I just asked them on their forum
I'll let you know what they say

So did you get a reply? :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:57 PM

If someone is really burnt out in terms of adrenal fatigue would Maca be a good idea? 

I especially need motivation + ability to experience pleasure.  Any distinct effects on inflammation or blood circulation?   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users