Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#3091 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

not sure why i was voted unfriendly i was just curious on more info but i guess i do come a bit threatening to some of the sissies present on this forum

• Unfriendly x 5
  • Cheerful x 1

#3092 MindExplorer

• 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

With ibudilast, It's quoting me $16+ for shipping to the US! Is it available anywhere else or what else on the site is useful to get to $100 for free shipping?

One option is to add their ridiculously inexpensive etizolam (Towa brand, 1mg per tablet) to your order. It's a short acting benzo (technically thienodiazepine in structure) with a ~4 hour half life and ~9 hour total duration. I don't suffer from general anxiety, but it makes a phenomenal sleep aid where I wake up nine hours later feeling refreshed. I like to think of it as a wonderfully smooth stimulant that takes nine hours to set in. :-D Obviously don't buy it if you're prone to dependence/abuse. I've set a Schelling fence on never using it on consecutive days, and I probably end up using it around 2-3 times a month. If you search their name on reddit you'll find that they have a number of interesting substances (that apparently don't require a prescription in Japan or Singapore...). Tramadol is one that comes to mind, but I have no desire to play around with using opioids recreationally, and my in-case-of-emergency analgesic needs are met by the kratom I have left over from experimenting with using it as a non-neurotoxic alternative to amphetamine. (It ended up being too finicky for me to find a consistent dose and strain for that purpose.)

Edited by MindExplorer, 21 April 2016 - 03:35 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3093 macropsia

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:49 AM

Are you guys using LLLT concurrently with MB? And seeing benefits?

#3094 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

What's up my friends?

I'm super sorry about not responding over the past few days but I've been working like crazy to finish the article I promised you for Friday. 

So far, I'm extremely happy with how it's turning out and can't wait to show it to you. 

I promise to answer every question I've missed on the thread on Saturday. Cool?

If you're reading this and wondering what the h$#% I'm talking about, the relevant post is here.  http://www.lostfalco...ch-to-the-head/

Talk to you soon!

-LF

I know that you weren't necessarily inviting this as a open invitation to ask questions, but seeing as you said you'll answer on Saturday (sorry in advance ) ;) 

1. could Huperzine-A & Luteolin be a possible (granted less effective) replacement for Ibudilast & Galantamine, ie. for a completey non prescription stack.

2. Are you no longer taking coq10 & pqq, and if so why not?
3. Do you have a better source for pregenelone? the site you've sourced is always out of order.

4. recently I over heard tim ferriss specify he has never felt any effect from any racetam except for Phenylpiracetam, have you tried phenyl?

5. You may not neccessairly care, but would it not be more effective for your microbiome to say supplement with more than just Potato starch, and possibly have a diversified range?

also i pm'd you something sorry (: and thanks in advance mate.

#3095 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:29 PM

Post coming this evening. 

Will let you guys know here when it's up.

Can't wait!

p.s. Here's my site. =)  http://www.lostfalco...ch-to-the-head/

#3096 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

Is it a problem to import Ibudilast to Germany?

#3097 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:04 PM

Post coming this evening. 

Will let you guys know here when it's up.

Can't wait!

p.s. Here's my site. =)  http://www.lostfalco...ch-to-the-head/

Nice post. But I'm a bit confused as to the role of microglia in brain health. You said that ibudilast "primarily works by inhibiting excessive microglia". I get that we don't want an overactive immune system gunking up the works with immune peptides and proinflammatory signals, but then we have this astonishing post by aaCharley, in which he cites a brand new paper out of Hong Kong University showing that genetically induced murine Alzheimer's can be reversed within a week using interleukin 33 (IL-33). IL-33 supposedly accomplishes this by activating the microglia. ("IL-33 skews the microglia toward an alternative activation state...") The result is that they ferociously attack plaque aggregates, leading to improvements in cognition.

I realize that these are not necessarily contradictory concepts: we could have ibudilast inhibiting neuroinflammation, while IL-33 might be a very narrow signalling channel which just applies to plaque clearance.

I obviously do not understand this paradox very well. Lostfalco -- anyone -- what am I missing here?

I'm looking forward to the Lostfalco Podcast Series so I can get novel nootropic ideas while on the road.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 22 April 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#3098 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

Alright my friends, I just uploaded the promised post for your delectation and delight. 

Here is the link. http://www.lostfalco...n-fog-two-step/

I hope it helps you!

As previously mentioned, I promise to answer all questions tomorrow. 

Talk to you guys then!

-LF

homepage: http://www.lostfalco.com/

• like x 3
  • Informative x 1

#3099 mentat

• 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

Is there any alternative for this stack? Unfortunately galantamine is not OTC in Germany and ibudilast as well.

#3100 MindExplorer

• 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

Looking forward to this ibudilast shipment! Lostfalco, any insulin suggestions for those of us without a Walmart? They don't appear to sell Novolin R on their website, and it doesn't look like Target, CVS, or Walgreens carries it. My understanding is that Novolin R is identical to endogenous insulin and isn't an insulin analog. Are there others like it for a similarly affordable price or is my best bet to try to find it online?

#3101 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:55 PM

Anyone in the US want to do a group buy for Ibudilast? I'd buy 4 packs for free shipping and you'd pay cost + $3 shipping for me to drop it in a padded envelope.

#3102 umop 3pisdn

• 81 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:41 AM

Anyone in the US want to do a group buy for Ibudilast? I'd buy 4 packs for free shipping and you'd pay cost + $3 shipping for me to drop it in a padded envelope.

You're limited to only one unit of ibudilast on that shop page iirc.

#3103 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:20 AM

Looking forward to this ibudilast shipment! Lostfalco, any insulin suggestions for those of us without a Walmart? They don't appear to sell Novolin R on their website, and it doesn't look like Target, CVS, or Walgreens carries it. My understanding is that Novolin R is identical to endogenous insulin and isn't an insulin analog. Are there others like it for a similarly affordable price or is my best bet to try to find it online?

Hey MindExplorer, unfortunately none of the other major pharmacies here in the U.S. are even close to the price at Walmart (that I'm aware of). The only other place I've purchased insulin from is Walgreens and it was over $100! I also don't think you'll be able to find it online. It's one of those behind-the-counter meds (like ephedrine). With that said, if you do find it let us know. 

I hope ibudilast works well for you! Let me know how it goes. 

Edited by lostfalco, 24 April 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#3104 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:41 AM

Is there any alternative for this stack? Unfortunately galantamine is not OTC in Germany and ibudilast as well.

Hey mentat, galantamine and ibudilast are the two most powerful which is why I picked them. Huperzine A might work in place of galantamine and Zembrin is an herbal PDE4 inhibitor but it is no ibudilast (ime). http://www.hindawi.c...am/2014/682014/

Longvida Curcumin could be another possible ibudilast replacement (sort of). I've found it to be just ok in my own experience but some people love it. It's linked at the bottom of the brain fog post with a reference as well.   

Those are all things I've tried. Among the things I haven't tried, I linked to Neuroprotek/liposomal luteolin and Palmitoylethanolamide (as possible mast cell inhibitors). Possibly one or both of those combined with huperzine A could be interesting. They are at the bottom of the page and there are references that discuss their mechanisms of action. http://www.lostfalco...-fog-two-step/   

• like x 1

#3105 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:50 AM

I realize that these are not necessarily contradictory concepts: we could have ibudilast inhibiting neuroinflammation, while IL-33 might be a very narrow signalling channel which just applies to plaque clearance.

I obviously do not understand this paradox very well. Lostfalco -- anyone -- what am I missing here?

I'm looking forward to the Lostfalco Podcast Series so I can get novel nootropic ideas while on the road.

Hey resveratrol_guy, I don't think you're missing anything. It's chronic overactivation that we are looking to turn down. Microglia are extremely important in their role as brain macrophages. They clear debris, digest foreign invaders, etc. It doesn't surprise me at all that they could be useful for acutely attacking Alzheimer plaques. You would just want to make sure and dial them back down again afterward so that they didn't digest everything. 

haha Thanks for the podcast idea. One step at a time. =)

• Informative x 1

#3106 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:55 AM

Is it a problem to import Ibudilast to Germany?

Hey airplanepeanuts...the answer for those of us in the U.S. is possibly. I'm guessing it's probably the same for Germany (though I don't know for sure). 

#3107 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:13 AM

I know that you weren't necessarily inviting this as a open invitation to ask questions, but seeing as you said you'll answer on Saturday (sorry in advance ) ;)

1. could Huperzine-A & Luteolin be a possible (granted less effective) replacement for Ibudilast & Galantamine, ie. for a completey non prescription stack.

2. Are you no longer taking coq10 & pqq, and if so why not?
3. Do you have a better source for pregenelone? the site you've sourced is always out of order.

4. recently I over heard tim ferriss specify he has never felt any effect from any racetam except for Phenylpiracetam, have you tried phenyl?

5. You may not neccessairly care, but would it not be more effective for your microbiome to say supplement with more than just Potato starch, and possibly have a diversified range?

also i pm'd you something sorry (: and thanks in advance mate.

Cheater! haha  No worries about the questions. 

1. huperzine A -- yes. luteolin -- it has very low bioavailability (10% or less) and goes through extensive metabolism. Neuroprotek is a liposomal version that attempts to bypass those issues. I haven't tired it but it might be worth a shot. I linked it at the bottom of the post with a reference you can take a look at if you want to. http://www.lostfalco...n-fog-two-step/

2. not taking them right now simply due to the fact that I'm trying other experiments. 

3. hmm...I like the powder because you can control dosing so well. Source naturals or LEF might work (depending on how high your dose is). 

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0015HW4DI

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000JKR6FI/

4. Yeah, I've tried phenyl and I really like it but as many other people have reported it seems to build tolerance pretty quickly. 

5. Yep. Multiple fiber sources are better. I just link that as an inexpensive option to get resistant starch. It's not intended to be one's one and only prebiotic. 

Are you guys using LLLT concurrently with MB? And seeing benefits?

Hey macropsia, I'm not currently using them together. 

Edited by lostfalco, 24 April 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#3108 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

not sure why i was voted unfriendly i was just curious on more info but i guess i do come a bit threatening to some of the sissies present on this forum

Hey normalizing, no worries. I get what you're saying about ibudilast being somewhat exclusive since it's only available in Japan. It's been fast tracked in the U.S. and could very well gain approval here in the next few years. I'm not sure about its future status in the EU. 

#3109 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:22 AM

whats a good source to read about its proposed neurotrophic mechanism

#3110 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:22 AM

With ibudilast, It's quoting me $16+ for shipping to the US! Is it available anywhere else or what else on the site is useful to get to $100 for free shipping?

Hey Groundhog Day, you could try adding non-generic ibudlast too (Ketas). https://www.mimaki-f...roduct_id=32063

It's $88 though.

Tbh, ibudilast is the only thing I've purchased from them. They have donepezil (Aricept) but it's non-generic and absurdly expensive too ($240).  

#3111 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:31 AM

whats a good source to read about its proposed neurotrophic mechanism

Ibudilast works primarily by lowering neuroinflammation.

Here's a decent free full text article. https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3934516/

#3112 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

Curcumin is a potent modulator of microglial gene expression and migration

Nice find magta!

#3113 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:39 AM

Lostfalco is this MOA for aspirin the same as for ibudilast?   https://www.research...thology_in_Mice

Hey magta, there are some similarities (NF-kB inhibition, IL-10 upregulation, etc.) although different routes are used. 

#3114 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

Isn't "NSAID" just a label for OTC pain relievers, not a specific class of drugs with shared MOA? If so, that abstract doesn't really tell me anything.

Yep. Class of drugs with similar but non-identical mechanisms of action. 

#3115 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:55 AM

Interesting study, thanks lostfalco.

I will probably cut my dose down to 5 mg. Also, I think I will try 100mg instead of 200mg Advil taking chronically before I have a chance to try Ibudilast. What's your opinion?

By the way, do you have any concern regarding the possibility of over activating the NMDA and AMPA receptors (unrelated to your new stack, but in general)?

No problem, cougar. 

Yep, the lower the better. 

Excitotoxicity is definitely a real thing. Yeah.

#3116 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:01 AM

Hey LF

Really keen to try this combo.

The galantamine was easy to source.

2 questions...

What's the protocol for adminstration for these two products...?

And do you have another viable source for the ibudilast,

as the site you linked, won't accept my credit card (don't usually have this issue).

Much love bro...

Hey De La Torre, I've done well with 7mg galantamine 2x per day with food and 10mg ibudilast 2x per day with or without food (although usually with food since i take it with galantamine). 

Sorry man, that's the only source of ibudilast that I'm aware of. 

Lostfalco,

I hope to get my intranasal bottles soon so I can make some intranasal galantamine (got some good points from MYASD on reddit).

Mainly making this from my stepfather (parkinson'), but will test it out on myself first to see all the GI negatives (and other side effects) are indeed bypassed this way

as always, thank you for your insights and keeping this thread going :-)

Very cool, Jochen. Have you tried intranasal galantamine yet? It looks really interesting. 

I really hope it helps your stepfather. 

#3117 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:05 AM

lostfalco, was it difficult to combine all your quote replies into one single post instead of many?

• Disagree x 1

#3118 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:07 AM

LostFalco, almost done reading the whole thread here over the course of a weeks time. 

I gathered you dropped CoQ10 because of spending too much on all other interesting compounds and supplements. 

You should check out purebulk.com - http://purebulk.com/...0-coenzyme-q10/ they do cut the price very much compared to, say, LEF. At least 10 times cheaper if you buy it like this, possibly more. Granted what they have is ubiquinone. 

You then take the powder, and mix it with with coconut-oil (heating the coconut oil up, but not boiling it!). Put it in a container and put it in the fridge. Now you have a block of coconut-oil with CoQ10 in it. As always be careful of oxidation with CoQ10. 

Unfortunately they don't carry the better quality. 

Also look out for some deals, because they pretty regularly often do 20-25% off.

Bought all the things for TULIP and will start straight away when I get it. Will let you know how it goes.

Oh.. and just a funny thing, because it's old now but I just read most of the thread. Remember that some guys were selling a package of LED's and naming it TULIP package - without any reference to your protocol/stack. I can solve the mystery for you. It's because of key-words. Drop-ship sellers or online marketeres look up keywords - what has been queried together with LED 96 in a search on google or other websites. It makes sense that some would see that TULIP + LED 96 + LED 48 etc. was a often used search term - and thus they just put this "buy together with" package - not knowing anything about what your TULIP protocol actually is. :)

Hey Noricent, we've had some really interesting people on the thread over the years huh?

Thanks for the CoQ10 idea. I'll have to look into it. 

I hope TULIP works well for you!

The adwords thing makes so much sense now. ha I've still never tried "Golden Tulip" LED arrays. They're still out there though! 

#3119 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:13 AM

So in transcranial photobiomodulation, you're basically striking a compromise between the wavelength preferences of the target molecules (e.g. cytochromes) and the ability of the intervening tissue to transmit the radiation to it.  The chart shows how the most important intervening substances (melanin in the skin, hemoglobin in the blood, and water in all tissues) absorb light as a function of wavelength, forming a sort of "optical window" through which the light must pass.to reach the brain.  Notice the rapid falloff in absorbance of melanin and hemoglobin as the wavelength rises from about 600-800 nm, while the absorbance of water rises from around 800 nm and up.

Thanks, Kinesis! Yep, you pretty much got it. Zawy has some great info on wavelengths here. http://heelspurs.com/led.html#opti

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3120 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:15 AM

I think you're right, I found this supporting statement in another article:

"The rationale for the optical parameters were as follows: The wavelength of 810-nm is optimum for light penetration of living tissue due to minimization of absorption by all three major tissue chromophores, hemoglobin, melanin and water. Moreover this wavelength has been shown to be effectively absorbed by mitochondria that are believed to be responsible for the biological effects of photobiomodulation." - Psychological benefits 2 and 4 weeks after a single treatment with near infrared light to the forehead: a pilot study of 10 patients with major depression and anxiety

Yep, you hit the nail on the head Adaptogen. See Zawy's page for more info on wavelengths. http://heelspurs.com/led.html#opti

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By