I just got my microbiome sequenced!

microbiome

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

http://www.geo.brown...sults/Coachmen/

I got them sequenced from the PGP project.

Does anyone notice anything significant from these results?

For what it's worth, I'm vegetarian.

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Under the total column, there are two columns labeled 1 and 2. All three columns have exactly the same percentage. How come?

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

The graphical presentation is pretty weird. It wasn't obvious what I was looking at, although I eventually kind of sorted it out. I was surprised to see how your gut microbiome was dominated by a few species.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the commentary! Yeah - I don't know how the gut microbiome thing worked out. It seemed like they weren't able to identify a particular species for many of the groups, so I just had % for "group: uncategorized".

#5 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

slight tangent: May 2013 Scientific American has an article on research into D-amino acids. It has long been the establishment postion that only L-amino acids are utilized by all life on earth. But over the last 20 years numerous examples of D-amino acid use have been found, including their use as neuro transmitters in humans. So what does this have to do with the microbiome? Well, the human diet does not inlcude D-amino acids, and it is beleived that the human body does not make D-amino acids. But gut bateria do make D-amino acids. So in theory a diverse microbiome might be important for neuro transmitter production in humans. And thus supplementation of a broad blend of active bacteria cells might enhance brain performance.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microbiome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users