Photo

On Methionine Restriction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Levels of the essential amino acid methionine in the diet appear to be involved in generating the beneficial effects of calorie restriction on health and longevity. Some portion of the resulting changes in the operation of metabolism is based on sensing low levels of methionine. It is thus possible that humans might obtain benefits comparable to those generated by calorie restriction from a sensibly constructed low-methionine diet with a normal calorie intake. The research in support of this supposition is still sparse in comparison to that for calorie restriction, however.

It was first reported in 1993 that rats subjected to a diet restricted in methionine (MR) enjoyed comparable life spans to rats that were on caloric restriction (CR). In the first experiments, methionine was reduced to â…• its normal level in the diet, and growth of the rats was severely stunted. We can't live entirely without methionine - the body would not be able to make any proteins at all. Restricting methionine is likely to have impacts on growth, health, and wellbeing that are as yet unstudied in humans. Rats fed a diet without methionine developed steatohepatitis (fatty liver), anemia and lost two thirds of their body weight over 5 weeks. In one experiment where methionine was severely restricted but not eliminated entirely, â…• of the mice died, and the other â…˜ went on to live longer than control mice.

Here's a clue about why methionine is special. The instructions for making proteins is coded into DNA, via the genetic code, which specifies words of 3 DNA letters, each corresponding to one of the 20 amino acids. The genetic code also contains "punctuation", instructions to start and stop. The "start codon" is also the word for methionine. Every chain of amino acids that the body constructs begins with methionine. No methionine - no protein synthesis. A shortage of methionine means that the body is inhibited in making every kind of protein. More genes are expressed (more proteins synthesized) as the body grows older. Perhaps methionine restriction is putting a brake on this production of extra proteins that are not produced when we're young, and that contribute to aging.

Methionine restriction in practice involves eating foods that are low in methionine. Though all protein has methionine, some protein sources are much lower in methionine than others. All animal sources (including milk and especially eggs) are high in methionine. So a methionine-restricted diet is a vegan diet, not just any vegan diet, but a subset of vegan protein sources. There appear to be no general rules. For example, almonds are a good source of low-methionine protein, but Brazil nuts are terrible. Even a strict vegan diet would only reduce methionine intake by about 1/2. Extrapolating from the rodent experiments, we may need to reduce by ~ 3/4 before crossing a threshold where benefits kick in.

Link: http://joshmitteldor...ou-live-longer/

<br> <br>View the full article

#2 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Any more info on methionine restriction?
Does anyone restrict methionine in their diet? If so what do you eat? I'm on a piscivore diet and I find restriction methionine very difficult; it's in almost everything, even on days where I don't eat any fish I still eat at least 1g a day.
I'm interested in the idea that CR might work only because methionine is restricted which I've seen flying around a few times on here.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

See question #3:

http://impactaging.c.../pdf/100581.pdf

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Economist,

I am not allowed to post links but a part of your question is answered on the website of the Linus Pauling institute (see there under micronutrient Choline.
Methionine certainly should be restricted, but not extremely severe. It is a very useful amino acid in general, but has one major flaw: it is a precursor to homocysteine, a major cause of CVDs. This flaw can be attenuated by ingesting a proper amount of choline as well as vitamine B12. This counterbalance clearly explained on the LPI website.

So my personal regimen is: to eat vegetarian, omit egg white but up the amount of egg yolks. I take some lecithine and every now and then I take a supplement with choline. As for B12: I take sublingual tablets of the bio-active B12 called Methylcobalamin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users