* * * * - 5 votes

Here it is, IDRA-21

glutamate idra-21 nmda health memory ltp

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#241 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

There is a severe danger with DM-235, DM-232 and possibly IDRA-21. IDRA-21 is worst due to its long duration of action. This danger is that the NMDA potentiation will be strong enough to prevent pain relief and possibly also anaesthesia.

5mg sunifiram actually feels like an analgesic to me very similar in potency and effect to agmatine at 500mg. I knew both acted on the NMDAr and assumed that they had the same mechanism of action, since I felt the same type of positive side effects from them. But I'm now reading that agmatine blocks and sunifiram potentiates NMDAr signaling which confuses me.
I've not tried taking sunifiram and agmatine at the same time, actually weeks a part.
  • Ill informed x 1

#242 Isochroma

• 791 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

My 5g IDRA-21 cleared Customs this morning at 8:04A.

Its transit service is Express Mail so it will be at my door on Monday.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#243 violetechos

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:17 AM

<br />
NMDA receptors are implicated in pain transmission of a different kind than that blocked by opiates.<br />
NMDA blockers are used to treat neuropathic pain - ketamine in particular.<br />
<br />
NMDA potentiators could act to potentiate pain. And pain always exists all over our bodies. The sub-threshold micropains are everywhere. The ones that withdrawing Heroin addicts feel. They are real but normally suppressed.<br />

I can attest to this . Taking nootropics when in opiate withdrawal is torturous ! That over aware , sweaty , awareness gets turned up a lot. It is definitely NOT what you want if you are withdrawing from most drugs with a depressant or sedative action . AMPAr receptor hypersensitivity most definitely is a big part of opiate withdrawal, and I would imagine benzos and ethanol as well.

I was pretty fresh from getting over a few year suboxone addiction ,in early recovery and in the post-acute withdrawal stage . I found that nootropics really made my cravings intense,where typically there was none at all .

I was taken aback by how I went from the day before of "I REALLY don't have any urge to use opiates at all. That is a terrible idea." , next day dosed a rational 'tam stack , and I witness my thoughts shift to "God, I NEED something to take the edge off , this is really uncomfortable and it feels like I am in minor withdrawal.Hmm how much money do I have ... GAH STOPPP!" My pain perception got way too blown up as well. Oooh up-regulated pain receptors. :/

Sunifiram would do it from what I remember , and Aniracetam was probably the worst 'tam for craving induction... I know from my own physiology that testosterone modulators and most GABA drugs make me want to use .

Just a warning for those in recovery! I wouldn't want anyone to relapse that way... Hope this isn't too off topic.

I wonder if it is AMPAr receptor activation that is the mechanism of action in this phenomena. I am curious to see how other nootropics compare to others in this way... Perhaps IDRA-21 won't ?

-lenses

#244 Introspecta

• 622 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Its weird you say that about testosterone a few years back i tried using sustanon and it made me feel like i was in benzo withdrawal. It made me want to use so bad. i've never really gotten that with nootropics. Actually I used to take Noopept high doses when i was dope sick from running out of suboxone. It seemed to relax the legs enough to take away some of the withdrawals.

#245 xsiv1

• 463 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:52 AM

One thing about Noopept, is that it has been shown to be neuroprotective by decreasing glutamate release from what I understand. http://link.springer...07020055#page-1

#246 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

I'm scared of this because I take adderall and it seems that has dangerous interactions with it.

#247 Isochroma

• 791 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Seems you should be scared of what you're taking, not IDRA-21.

You are taking Amphetamine which is a neurotoxin and causes brain shrinkage and addiction.

Stop the toxic amphetamine and then start the IDRA-21.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#248 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

You are taking Amphetamine which is a neurotoxin and causes brain shrinkage and addiction.

Well I got addicted to piracetam and that induced a manic episode, and adderall has cured me of hallucinations, which no antipsychotic was ever able to do. At least with adderall I can just stop and skip a few days or whatever, unlike most of psych meds that have ridiculously long half-lives.

If IDRA-21 is better than adderall at improving my cognition while managing my symptoms then I may be willing to try it. I just have to be careful with this sort of thing because my brain is rather sensitive to certain types of drugs.
  • Ill informed x 1

#249 3AlarmLampscooter

• 352 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

Well I got addicted to piracetam and that induced a manic episode, and adderall has cured me of hallucinations, which no antipsychotic was ever able to do. At least with adderall I can just stop and skip a few days or whatever, unlike most of psych meds that have ridiculously long half-lives.

Addicted to piracetam?

Adderall curing hallucinations that antipsychotics were not effective for?

These sound like extremely dubious claims to me.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#250 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

I'm not trying to sell anyone else on the idea, but it is rather interesting how Shire is trying to get approval to do a study to test Vyvanse for schizophrenia. I just go by my own research and experiences.

IME, piracetam and LSD are more addictive than amphetamine. Yet those aren't considered "addictive" substances. I feel like I function much better on amphetamine than I ever did on any of the other types of psych meds. Yet I don't find it addictive, I don't feel like I'm compelled to take it to survive, like I did for a long time with piracetam, rather I much prefer my ablity to focus to being overly scattered, but when it wears off my first reaction isn't an immediate knee-jerk response to pop another pill.

Sure stimulant psychosis is a real thing, but I don't abuse adderall so it's never triggered that for me. When one reads about stimulant psychosis then they start assuming that adderall would be more inclined to cause hallucinations than to supress them, but then there's a difference between being an alcoholic and drinking a glass of wine every night before bed to improve your heart function. And for how my brain works it turns the hallucination crap off, making my brain work more like a radio being tuned into a single station instead of trying to distinguish one particular station while half a dozen other radios are playing at the same or louder volumes.

I think in many ways my brain craving stimulation is what triggered hallucinations to begin with because it seemed to work similar to some kind of static build up and discharge, whereas adderall is like attaching some kind of grounding wire so that the neuro activity has somewhere to go instead of discharging through creating false sensory data.

Edited by katimaya, 10 November 2013 - 07:12 AM.

• Ill informed x 3
  • dislike x 1

#251 3AlarmLampscooter

• 352 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

But the thing is, vyvanse would be more target towards the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

I've read nothing about it being able to suppress hallucinations, let alone adderall. Granted, paradoxical reactions are a real thing, but amphetamine acting as an antipsychotic without any known MoA I find extremely odd.

And I suppose a psychological "addiction" to piracetam or LSD is possible, but amphetamines cause actual physical dependence. But if you go down that road, it is possible to get a psychological addiction to vitamin C or baking soda if you associate them with positive effects.

#252 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

IME I became physicially dependent on piracetam, because I took megadoses with frequency over a long period of time. There was a point in time where I was doing over an ounce a day because I was in some kind of manic state. And when I quit taking it I had major withdrawal sysmptoms. LSD was more of a psychological addiction to the "question everything" state of mind than a physical thing...but it did give me some weird ideas which were hard to snap out of, like convincing me I was literally dead and that reality was actually purgatory.

I've been physically dependent on caffeine, but I found nicotine to not be problematic...before I got on amphetamine I thought that a nicotine patch was like the best nootropic ever, especially combined with a cup of coffee, but now I find that I don't really care for nicotine, and I limit my exposure to caffeine because I do find that to be addictive.

Tobacco is probably physically addictive but I don't think the nicotine plays as big of a role as people say it does, at least for my brain it certainly seemed to not have much physical hold over me. But then adderall makes me sleepy when it's initially kicking in, and I could totally conk out and sleep through an entire mdma experience it is really that sedating for me... Whereas nicotine is somewhere in between to where it seems to be both sedating and energizing at the same time, whereas caffeine has always been fine for wakefulness.

I also really loved mephedrone for a while and I never became physically dependent on that either, but I do have to wonder if it was one of the factors in causing some of the cognitive issues I'm trying to overcome.

But in the same sense that a lot of people seem to experience nothing from piracetam, it shouldn't be too hard to consider that for certain people stimulants might not be physically addictive at all whereas nootropics and other types of psych meds like lamictal perhaps could be. I've had withdrawal symptoms from quitting fast food, and from quitting tobacco, and from quitting diet soda, but never from amphetamines or pure nicotine. I had withdrawals from piracetam. I know people who have had serious withdrawals from cannabis yet some people like to claim that is not physically addictive either. So YMMV, people react differently to things and most research draws conclusions based on averages not based on one-size-fits-all, or else there wouldn't be a need for different variations of the same class of drugs.

Anyway I'm totally going off on a tangent, which has nothign to do with IDRA-21. I don't want to derail this thread any further than I already have. But if you honestly feel like it's something interesting enough to be worth not taking adderall for a few days to try it out safely I'm not opposed to seeing if it actually has much effect on me or not. I'm all about the end results, not about being attached to any particular methodology.

Edited by katimaya, 10 November 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#253 Introspecta

• 622 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Addicted to Piracetam is not a dubious claim. It is a reality. Anything that gives you mood boosting, color enhancing, lazer like focus is going to be addicting in some sense. I can't imagine withdrawals from piracetam though. I've dosed 30-40grams a day for short periods then ran out and never experienced any withdrawals other than feeling tired and maybe a little burnt out but everyone is different I guess. As for IDRA-21. I havn't notice much effect from it at 10mgs a day and have some fears going higher. PLR looks more promising.

#254 violetechos

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

IMO a lot of the mechanism of action of nootropics is related to hormone levels,and induction or increased sensitivity to hormones.I wonder where IDRA-21 lies on the spectrum. Sunifiram is definitely on the testosterone side of things.

I am transgendered and know both sides of the gender spectrum pharmacologically ... Testosterone and Estrogen (Estradiol) are potent nootropics. Estradiol is an amazing mood brightener and quite trippy (purely serotogenic), with a choline push. Testosterone is more of a stimulant and on the dopamine side of things. Ah what a beautiful web we are weaving.
  • like x 1

#255 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

IMO a lot of the mechanism of action of nootropics is related to hormone levels,and induction or increased sensitivity to hormones.I wonder where IDRA-21 lies on the spectrum. Sunifiram is definitely on the testosterone side of things.

I am transgendered and know both sides of the gender spectrum pharmacologically ... Testosterone and Estrogen (Estradiol) are potent nootropics. Estradiol is an amazing mood brightener and quite trippy (purely serotogenic), with a choline push. Testosterone is more of a stimulant and on the dopamine side of things. Ah what a beautiful web we are weaving.

I don't have any gender identity issues but I have been trying to figure out how I seemingly became straight somehow, and shifted from tomboy to girlygirl, could you weight in on this? I feel bad for derailing the thread again but I've hit my PM limit for the day:

http://www.reddit.co...ct_orientation/

#256 Nattzor

• 549 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

I don't have any gender identity issues but I have been trying to figure out how I seemingly became straight somehow, and shifted from tomboy to girlygirl, could you weight in on this? I feel bad for derailing the thread again but I've hit my PM limit for the day:

http://www.reddit.co...ct_orientation/

Tomboy doesn't mean that you're a lesbian though. Were you attracted to girls or just a tomboy?
  • like x 1

#257 Perception-Is-Reality

• 63 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

amphetamine, unlike IDRA-21 and most of the things called nootropics has been studied for 60 years and is taken by millions of people. Does beingeing on adderall cause damage? Yes. Does adderall possess high addiction potential in a large % of the population? Yes. Does it cause horrible side effects for some people? Yes. But when used CORRECTLY as defined as: The user taking <say 65mg/day and doing their best to give their body optimal food/water/sleep than it doesn't have any significant brain killing effect. It does downregulate dopamine receptors (strongly related to why it works for adhd symptoms). But take a week off and your body will have your dopamine receptors back to around 85% of what they used to be, and depending on the person another 1-6 months for 100%. Source: I take amphetamines regularly (yes this means i'm inevitably bias) and I've taken many breaks from it after months of dosing x7 a week.

If anyone really cares about amp neurotoxicity take memantine with it (i also do take/sell memantine so more bias) its been shown to prevent amp toxicity.

Lastly last thursday night i ordered some IDRA-21 and Prl-8-53 from NSN. As i take amph a lot, I'll take IDRA-21 and amph together after i try IDRA-21 alone and report back about any subjective synergy (negative or positive). If i dont post back ever, assume it was not a good combo :|o

#258 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Tomboy doesn't mean that you're a lesbian though. Were you attracted to girls or just a tomboy?

Well you didn't actually click on the link. I'm bi. I did identify as lesbian for a while. I'm still bi, just it seems like meds made me start fantasizing about men instead of women, which I find a bit unsettling. There's no direct correlation between gender expression and orientation that I can tell, however it is interesting to me that I shifted around in that area, and I'm sure there must be some relationship in the sense of it acting on similar parts of the brain. Because IME ADHD, OCD, and schizo stuff all seem to affect the same kinds of thought processes, and even though there's some crossover they're not the same thing. So in that context, my gendered self-expression was also affected over the same period of time. And Rx amphetamines got rid of hallucinations, whereas anti-psychotics only made them seem more dream-like or something instead of turning them off in the least.

amphetamine, unlike IDRA-21 and most of the things called nootropics has been studied for 60 years and is taken by millions of people. Does beingeing on adderall cause damage? Yes. Does adderall possess high addiction potential in a large % of the population? Yes. Does it cause horrible side effects for some people? Yes. But when used CORRECTLY as defined as: The user taking <say 65mg/day and doing their best to give their body optimal food/water/sleep than it doesn't have any significant brain killing effect. It does downregulate dopamine receptors (strongly related to why it works for adhd symptoms). But take a week off and your body will have your dopamine receptors back to around 85% of what they used to be, and depending on the person another 1-6 months for 100%. Source: I take amphetamines regularly (yes this means i'm inevitably bias) and I've taken many breaks from it after months of dosing x7 a week.

I don't find adderall to be addictive. I'm rx'd 20mg twice a day but sometimes I take it three times in a day, sometimes once a day, sometimes not at all, sometimes I split up into smaller doses depending on the factors at the time. I decided not to take it today, because I wanted to see if I can focus on a nootropic stack alone, and I wanted to be able to tell more what the effects of PRL853 are, so I made a stack that was PRL-heavy. I did 20mg prl853, 6mg noopept, 1g piracetam, and 600mg of oxiracetam, and so far I feel pretty good.

Even when was taking like 650mg a day of 4-fa it didn't seem like I had withdrawal symptoms, but I was in a manic state at the time so it seemed like I had to take that much to feel any effects. Yet when I was drinking a lot of energy drinks and stopped suddenly I would have headaches and shiver and get nausea and stuff. I never had that problem on amphetamines, and adderall works consistently better than 4-fa ever did.

I have no idea what memantine is; i've never heard of that.

#259 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

It is quite common for women to fantasize about other women even if they are straight and not interested in actually being with another woman. maybe you have a bit of the reverse?

Well you didn't actually click on the link. I'm bi. I did identify as lesbian for a while. I'm still bi, just it seems like meds made me start fantasizing about men instead of women, which I find a bit unsettling.

• like x 1

#260 violetechos

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

I'll tell you why the amphetamines stopped the hallucinations, increased dopamine levels will supress serotonin levels. I have taken stimulants and all the "prettyness" goes away in a flash. It is like "lets get rote and linear".

Not recommended ! All i've got to say about amphetamines is that they will change you forever.

#261 Isochroma

• 791 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ate 12mg IDRA-21 [NSN] at 2:08P PST. It's 2:27P now.

Nothing yet to report about the powder but I went to bed at 6:00A and woke to an alarm at 7:00A.

One hour sleep.

That powder has no taste.

It reminds me of Cerebral Health's 'Phenylpiracetam' powder: insoluble, no taste, no effect.

Edited by Isochroma-Reborn, 12 November 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#262 Isochroma

• 791 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

It is 2:47P and I am beginning to detect something.

My heavy slow head is lightening up and my mouse/keyboard speed it increasing.

The awful sleep deprivation last night was perfect. The perfect test.

I know how badly I perform under these circumstances.

#263 GetOutOfBox

• 161 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

@katimaya:

First of all, as others have said, it's very unlikely you could become "addicted" to Piracetam. It seems to have little monoaminergic activity beyond enhancing acetylcholine release, a monoamine which is not associated with the reward circuitry in the brain. Piracetam could theoretically enhance dopamine release indirectly as a result of improving dopaminergic neuron health, but I find it highly unlikely this would be sufficient to produce addiction. There have been countless studies on Piracetam, none of which I am aware found any addictive behaviors in animals or humans. As for your second claim that adderall "cured" your hallucinations, I find this incredibly unlikely as well. Stimulants almost always produce a psychotic episode in those with a predisposition towards psychosis, they have never been found to do the opposite and treat psychosis or delusion. Considering your own admittance to experiencing hallucinations, combined with your implication that you've used LSD (which I'm not against FYI, it has some very healthy psychological uses, but there's the risk it will exacerbate latent psychological disorders) mephedrone, etc, makes me lean more towards your withdrawal syndrome perhaps being more a manifestation of a larger delusory disorder than reality, especially considering you were taking several potent stimulants (Adderall being a racemic mixture of dextro and levo amphetamine, mephedrone being an amphetamine derivative) while manifesting symptoms of a psychological disorder (most likely Schizophrenia).

Furthermore your statement that LSD is somehow more addictive than amphetamines is ridiculous. LSD has repeatedly been found to have little if any addictive potential (considering tolerance often appears after one dose and lasts for several days, preventing most people from using it frequently enough for the mild dopaminergic effects to produce addiction). Amphetamines have a large addictive potential, as they produce down-regulation of dopamine receptors in the reward circuitry.
  • dislike x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#264 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

@GetOutOfBox:

I'm not lying, and I don't appreciate being accused of dishonesty just because you think you fancy yourself some kind of expert on how the human brain works.

Stimulants almost always produce a psychotic episode in those with a predisposition towards psychosis

That just simply is not true at all. Way too broad of a blanket statement. I guarantee you I've done more research on this than you have; you're just spouting off popular opinion. The scientific facts just do not support this.

80% of schizophrenics smoke cigarettes, which is a hell of a lot higher than in the general population…and the research indicates that those who smoke do so to manage their symptoms better. Like to reduce hallucinations. You don't know what you're talking about.

It's this type of bullshit attitude that cost me a year of my life because of this stereotype that somehow amphetamines are likely to cause psychosis/mania.

With amphetamines it's simply a risk factor; not a given fact. And it's not a black-box label risk, like with Lamictal talking about how it can cause Stevens-Johnsons syndrome, yet docs still had no issue Rx'ing that to me. Lamictal had worse withdrawal symptoms than when I became physically dependent on opiates after taking them for six weeks or so following a painful surgery. And SSRI's that have black-box warnings about suicide risk, which did put me in a suicidal state where I had an attempt.

If dextro-amphetamine produces psychotic episodes then explain to me why Shire is in the process of getting approved to do studies on schizophrenics using Vyvanse? Surely they're looking at making more money by expanding their market share, not at being all MK-Ultra by intentionally inducing psychotic states in people, right?

I've yet to find a single example of stimulant psychosis in someone who was using adderall as prescribed. Every example I've read about was from people who were overdosing or using it recreationally.

Mephedrone did trigger hallucinations. I haven't used that in over 3 years.

I'm not sure why it's so far-fetched to believe that one could have withdrawal symptoms from heavy piracetam use. I quite likely had some brain damage from a suicide attempt and I was dependent on it to function for a long time. I have a non-addictive personality type so my dependency on it had nothing to do with "reward centers".

Regarding LSD, I found the psychedelic head-space it induced to be psychologically addictive, but I don't think I was ever physically dependent on it. I mostly threw that out there because of this idea that it loses its ability to maintain a psychedelic state by continuing to take it on a daily basis, but IME that just wasn't the case. And there is a big difference between a psychedelic state and a psychotic state; "visuals" aren't the same thing as hallucinations, and I don't even get noteworthy visuals on LSD.

My entire point was that I have my own unique experiences with this stuff…I'm not suggesting that amphetamines are innocuous by any means nor that they aren't proven to have addictive potential. I tried not to make blanket statements like "almost always" as if I'm some sort of expert the way you did.

If mental health issues were actually well-understood then stuff like anti-depressants would work more along the lines of insulin shots for diabetics than the current method of throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks.

Adderall works for me; it completely got rid of hallucinations. They seemed to correct whatever chemical imbalance was causing them, because I don’t get them that much when I don't take the meds, unlike when I was bombarded constantly on anti-psychotics which just seemed to put me in more of a drunken state. It's a night and day difference; it's unplugging the radio that is making loud noise instead of just turning down the volume.

My experiences are anecdotal but that doesn't make them invalid. My brain is wired a bit differently than others. I'm not making shit up; what works for me often doesn't line up perfectly with the studies, which are completely based on determining efficacy for the majority and not on what is or isn't the case for an individual.

Edited by katimaya, 13 November 2013 - 09:38 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#265 YOLF

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

piracetam is an antidepressant, MAOIs are responsible for cigarette addiction. It's very possible to be addicted to an antidepressant. I image most people who take them are addicted on some level... Ever see someone change their AD regimen, it can get nasty... It might even be withdrawal symptoms they are experiencing. It's not well studied TMK.
  • like x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#266 GetOutOfBox

• 161 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:07 AM

@GetOutOfBox:

I'm not lying, and I don't appreciate being accused of dishonesty just because you think you fancy yourself some kind of expert on how the human brain works.

First of all, I never said you were being dishonest. In fact, I'm sure you are completely convinced of your beliefs. However, it's indisputable that delusions and obsessive patterns of thinking are common and in fact defining features of schizophrenia. Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't automatically mean everything you say is wrong, that's what the evidence against your proposals is for.

Stimulants almost always produce a psychotic episode in those with a predisposition towards psychosis

That just simply is not true at all. Way too broad of a blanket statement. I guarantee you I've done more research on this than you have; you're just spouting off popular opinion. The scientific facts just do not support this.

80% of schizophrenics smoke cigarettes, which is a hell of a lot higher than in the general population…and the research indicates that those who smoke do so to manage their symptoms better. Like to reduce hallucinations. You don't know what you're talking about.

It's this type of bullshit attitude that cost me a year of my life because of this stereotype that somehow amphetamines are likely to cause psychosis/mania.

With amphetamines it's simply a risk factor; not a given fact. And it's not a black-box label risk, like with Lamictal talking about how it can cause Stevens-Johnsons syndrome, yet docs still had no issue Rx'ing that to me. Lamictal had worse withdrawal symptoms than when I became physically dependent on opiates after taking them for six weeks or so following a painful surgery. And SSRI's that have black-box warnings about suicide risk, which did put me in a suicidal state where I had an attempt.

The fact that you're so convinced that I know nothing is a prime example of my point in regards to delusory thinking. You don't know anything about me, for all you know I'm a prominent neuroscientist (which I am not). The fact that you're still able to jump to that conclusion with no evidence to suggest that is by definition a delusion.

I think it would be prudent to point out that even if that number you just pulled out of thin air is true, and that 80% of schizophrenics are smokers, that doesn't prove your point that stimulants are effective treatment methods for that disorder. In fact, I could just as easily turn your own argument against you and say that compulsive use of stimulants is actually a SYMPTOM of schizophrenia, or that the fact 80% smoke indicates nicotine is possibly a common factor between them and hence possibly a trigger. That's the problem with using correlations as evidence.

I'd be interested to see the research you're referencing, that claims stimulants are effective treatment methods for the positive symptoms of schizophrenia, as the current medical literature indicates they do the exact opposite, and tend to trigger manic episodes, delusions, hallucinations, etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....icles/PMC20129/
http://bjp.rcpsych.o...ent/111/477/701

If dextro-amphetamine produces psychotic episodes then explain to me why Shire is in the process of getting approved to do studies on schizophrenics using Vyvanse? Surely they're looking at making more money by expanding their market share, not at being all MK-Ultra by intentionally inducing psychotic states in people, right?

That trial was terminated.

I've yet to find a single example of stimulant psychosis in someone who was using adderall as prescribed. Every example I've read about was from people who were overdosing or using it recreationally.

Are you kidding me? The actual manufacturer warns of stimulant psychosis even at prescribed doses. It's not common in otherwise healthy individuals, but in people who have a latent manifestation of the disorder, it can precipitate a psychotic episode. If that's not enough for you, here's a case report of a 12 year old girl prescribed Adderall, at only 10 mg daily (dosing controlled by her mother). No family history of mental disorders aside from ADHD. No health conditions aside from obesity. Patient had no psychological issues aside from difficulty concentrating. 4 weeks after starting Adderall, she reported back in, with improved attention and school grades, the only complaint being mild headaches. One week after, she was hospitalized after having a panic attack. After being discharged, when she was brought in for a follow-up, her parents complained that she refused to sleep, eat, or groom herself and was exhibiting bizarre behavior. During the follow-up, she admitted to visual hallucinations, claiming she could see bugs on the walls. Her speech was slow and she demonstrated tangential thinking (a unique characteristic of schizophrenia and dementia, the latter being unlikely in a 12 year old). She also noted she was experiencing auditory hallucinations in the form of voices directing her to stab her brother. Medical workups found no signs of strokes, various deficiencies, thyroid abnormalities, etc. Blood panels found no sign of other drugs beyond the expected level of amphetamines. Her condition steadily improved after being removed from the Adderall, 7 days later she returned to premorbid behavior and cognition.

I'm not sure why it's so far-fetched to believe that one could have withdrawal symptoms from heavy piracetam use. I quite likely had some brain damage from a suicide attempt and I was dependent on it to function for a long time. I have a non-addictive personality type so my dependency on it had nothing to do with "reward centers".

True addiction is associated with reward center activity. The nature of such addiction is that regardless of your own concious will you are compelled to use the drug you're addicted to. Virtually all receptors are vulnerable to downregulation, but only a few (specifically dopamine receptors in the mesolimbic pathway) are associated with addictive compulsions, that is because that part of the brain is associated with reinforcing behavioral patterns. Drugs that produce downregulation in other parts of the brain may have a withdrawal syndrome, but if there is no reward center activity, there is no craving.

Regarding LSD, I found the psychedelic head-space it induced to be psychologically addictive, but I don't think I was ever physically dependent on it. I mostly threw that out there because of this idea that it loses its ability to maintain a psychedelic state by continuing to take it on a daily basis, but IME that just wasn't the case. And there is a big difference between a psychedelic state and a psychotic state; "visuals" aren't the same thing as hallucinations, and I don't even get noteworthy visuals on LSD.

"Psychological addiction" is more of an excuse than anything. It's simply another word for "I like doing something so I don't want to stop.". It implies a powerlessness that isn't actually the case. In "psychological addiction", there is no biological mechanism producing that state, the person simply lacks the will to override their enjoyment of said substance. It's a choice, and a hedonistic one.

I too have dropped acid every now and then, and have never felt like taking it again immidietely. It's an exhausting trip through the mind, which may be therapeutic, but nevertheless is not something I could enjoy repeatedly. I need a little break. I definitely have never felt a compulsion to use it, which is backed up by medical literature regarding it.

My entire point was that I have my own unique experiences with this stuff…I'm not suggesting that amphetamines are innocuous by any means nor that they aren't proven to have addictive potential. I tried not to make blanket statements like "almost always" as if I'm some sort of expert the way you did.

I am not questioning your experiences. I'm questioning your evidence (or lack thereof) and capacity to make reliable statements. I'm not going to disbelieve you solely because of your psychological disorder (as one of my friends has schizophrenia, which is controlled with medication and he is just as functional as me), but the lack of evidence combined with it brings the reliability of your statements into question. I'd also point out you made some pretty blanket claims yourself, the difference being that you haven't actually provided any evidence, whereas I have.

If mental health issues were actually well-understood then stuff like anti-depressants would work more along the lines of insulin shots for diabetics than the current method of throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks.

I agree that general practicioners and therapists should be much more educated on the recent findings in regards to various psychological disorders (i.e the glutamate hypothesis for schizophrenia, or hippocampal atrophy in borderline personality disorder, etc). However despite your implication that you have some knowledge the general medical community does not, this statement doesn't really validate anything you've said.

Adderall works for me; it completely got rid of hallucinations. They seemed to correct whatever chemical imbalance was causing them, because I don't get them that much when I don't take the meds, unlike when I was bombarded constantly on anti-psychotics which just seemed to put me in more of a drunken state. It's a night and day difference; it's unplugging the radio that is making loud noise instead of just turning down the volume.

My experiences are anecdotal but that doesn't make them invalid. My brain is wired a bit differently than others. I'm not making shit up; what works for me often doesn't line up perfectly with the studies, which are completely based on determining efficacy for the majority and not on what is or isn't the case for an individual.

The thing is, the nature of delusions is that you believe they are real. You could very well be experiencing hallucinations that to you seem like reality, but in actuality are not. The point is that you can't cite yourself in this case, because your own subjective experience is questionable at best, as the nature of the disorder is corruption of the subjective experience. Your capacity to gauge your own mental health is inhibited.

Again, I'm not persecuting you, I am not criticising you solely because of schizophrenia, I am criticising your lack of sources, and I think citing solely your subjective experience is unwise considering the delusory nature of your disorder.
  • Off-Topic x 1

#267 3AlarmLampscooter

• 352 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

piracetam is an antidepressant, MAOIs are responsible for cigarette addiction. It's very possible to be addicted to an antidepressant. I image most people who take them are addicted on some level... Ever see someone change their AD regimen, it can get nasty... It might even be withdrawal symptoms they are experiencing. It's not well studied TMK.

While piracetam is somewhat dopaminergic, it is rather weakly acting on dopamine in comparison to most antidepressants. It might be possible for some individuals extremely prone to addiction to form a very weak addiction to piracetam, but it failed a clinical trial for treating cocaine addiction, and not a single case report of piracetam addiction exists; unlike most antidepressants which have at least sporadic case reports of addiction.

It does potentiate amphetamines though, and could reasonably be assumed to increase the addictiveness of amphetamines. Modafinil by contrast is a very strange animal, it is weakly addictive in its own right, but very effective in treating addiction to other drugs.

Edit: I should also add, from personal experience I'm fairly good distinguishing drugs with significant dopaminergic action, and piracetam simply isn't one. You're far more likely to get a caffeine addiction in the grand scheme of things. The only thing about piracetam that is remotely likely to cause dependence is the feeling of being more alert and productive. In that regard, you can call a good night sleep addictive.

Edited by 3AlarmLampscooter, 14 November 2013 - 09:27 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#268 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

First of all, I never said you were being dishonest. In fact, I'm sure you are completely convinced of your beliefs. However, it's indisputable that delusions and obsessive patterns of thinking are common and in fact defining features of schizophrenia.

Claiming I'm delusional is an ad-hominem. Basically you aren't willing to consider my current experiences because you're judging me for my past psychotic episodes.

I don't have schizophrenia; I have schizo-affective disorder. The schizo effects go in cycles the same way mood effects do.

It's very blatantly obvious when I've been in a delusional state because I have something to contrast it to. So while I may not have realized I was being delusional at the time, I do realize it later. It's not fair of you to dismiss my experiences as a whole over a long period of time because a small % of them were invalid.

The fact that you're so convinced that I know nothing is a prime example of my point in regards to delusory thinking. You don't know anything about me, for all you know I'm a prominent neuroscientist (which I am not).

Here's a prime example of you choosing not to take anything I say seriously because you've convinced yourself I'm delusional.

You don't know my history beyond what I've disclosed in this thread, and things are completely different under delusional psychosis than they are now.

Therefore you're biasing your opinions based on your own belief that I'm currently delusional in thinking adderall works for me, rather than stopping to consider if it actually got rid of my hallucinations or not.

The fact that you're still able to jump to that conclusion with no evidence to suggest that is by definition a delusion.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. If adderall was inducing delusions then there are half a dozen people who would have committed me and I'd be back on the medication merry-go-round instead of off of anti-psychotics.

Instead, everyone I know tells me how happy they are that I'm "back to normal" and how glad they are that I "finally found meds that work". I'm being treated as a human being again instead of some nutjob.

It's night and day difference between your family and friends and medical workers constantly nagging at you to do things that you're incapable of because the anti-psychotics break your ability to function vs. when your brain is working and you can get things done so people don't think you're just using mental health issues as an excuse and being lazy.

When my brain is working, I'm an extremely ambitious workaholic personality type. I can write 1,000 lines of code in a setting, create music from scratch, learn new skills many times faster than most people are able to.

When it's being suppressed by improper medication I can barely even string sentences together without it being a chore. And so I feel suicidal constantly because I feel a sense of learned helplessness that many of those on anti-psychotics end up becoming victims of.

Figuring out how to fix my brain has been my primary focus and goal for two years. Because frankly I will commit suicide if I can't be a functioning productive member of society at some reasonable level. I've been a multi-millionaire business owner, and before that I was making six figures a year doing IT consulting…and my idea of "recovery" isn't suppressing symptoms barely well enough to flip burgers or stock shelves.

I think it would be prudent to point out that even if that number you just pulled out of thin air is true, and that 80% of schizophrenics are smokers, that doesn't prove your point that stimulants are effective treatment methods for that disorder.

It's not a number pulled out of thin air. You were so busy looking for ways to invalidate what I said that you failed to do even a cursory google search on any of the arguments that I actually made. Therefore, you're not being objective at all, which again points to being completely biased.

I don't think smoking is an effective treatment method. However I think it would be worthwhile for someone to do more research on stimulants overall. My point has never been that it is a one-size-fits-all cure for schizo; yet you seem unwilling to consider that it might work for a % of people on it, because you are unwilling to consider my view as being relevant.

I can understand how people who are spending all day arguing with creationists about how silly it is to dispute evolution would be inclined to subsequently dismiss any and all anecdotal evidence as entirely irrelevant in the scope of any types of arguments.

But I'm not trying to publish my results to a medical journal nor sell anyone on rx'ing adderall to psychotic patients; rather I'm simply explaining what works for me, and it is really annoying when you're so dismissive of my experiences.

Science is great but when it comes to double-blind studies it's not one-size-fits all. They're proof of what works in a general sense, but not proof that what works for a statistically significant percentage is going to work for everyone. Likewise, studies that show some small % of patients have a risk for something does not prove anything more than that it's statistically significant; not that it's likely to happen.

I'd be interested to see the research you're referencing, that claims stimulants are effective treatment methods for the positive symptoms of schizophrenia, as the current medical literature indicates they do the exact opposite, and tend to trigger manic episodes, delusions, hallucinations, etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....icles/PMC20129/
http://bjp.rcpsych.o...ent/111/477/701

Neither of those articles you linked support your original argument of "Stimulants almost always produce a psychotic episode in those with a predisposition towards psychosis"

A cursory google search will show that stimulants are being used to treat "negative" symptoms in certain patients. This invalidates your argument that they "almost always" produce psychotic episodes.

Schizophrenics "almost always" smoke cigarettes, if 80% is close enough to whatever your definition of "almost always" is. Show me any evidence that smoking causes psychotic episodes.

Nicotine is a stimulant; schizo people have predisposition towards psychosis; 80% of schizophrenics smoke, so if your allegation was correct then there should be a myriad of studies to back up the idea that nicotine regularly triggers psychosis.

Were this true then mental hospitals wouldn't allow patients committed with psychotic symptoms to drink coffee and wear nicotine patches.

That trial was terminated.

So? That does nothing to invalidate my arguments.

The actual manufacturer warns of stimulant psychosis even at prescribed doses.

So what? Warning labels aren't proof of anything other than that someone thinks it's a potential risk factor for a small % of people, so they don't want to get sued by failing to disclose it.

The FDA would slap a "black box" warning on it if the risk factor was significant enough to be concerned about.

One case of a 12 year old girl is the best you can do? Really? I'd argue that she was over-medicated…even healthy adults find 10mg to be a pretty strong/potent dosage.

For all your talk about how science supports your view, that isn't very good evidence.

You're the one claiming that it "almost always" produces psychosis…Schizophrenia affects roughly 1% of the population. Adderall is rx'd to a large enough percentage of the population that there would be a significant amount of science to back up your claims that it was common, but since there isn't your argument is invalid.

in people who have a latent manifestation of the disorder, it can precipitate a psychotic episode.

Ahh so here comes the back-peddling. "it can precipitate a psychotic episode" is a far cry from your original allegation of "stimulants almost always produce a psychotic episode in those with a predisposition towards psychosis".

You just validated my argument right there. I never claimed that there wasn't any risk factor whatsoever; I only claimed that the science doesn't support the idea that it is a common thing.

Are you starting to come around to the possibility that I actually have bothered researching this stuff, and you haven't?

True addiction is associated with reward center activity.

Ahh, the good old "no true scotsman" fallacy. My favorite!

I am not questioning your experiences.

Another fun fallacy, I'll call this one the "I'm not a racist, but…" argument.

Your own subjective experience is questionable at best, as the nature of the disorder is corruption of the subjective experience. Your capacity to gauge your own mental health is inhibited.

You can't claim that you're not questioning my experiences in one breath and then in another breath specifically state that my experiences are questionable.

In case you missed it, here is what you actually wrote:

I am not questioning your experiences […] Your own subjective experience is questionable at best

I can't hold a civil debate with someone who is so hypocritical as to outright contradict themselves using the same exact words. If you had a valid argument in there somewhere, it was lost on me because you just proved yourself incapable of using logic and reason. So I'm just spinning my wheels trying to hold a conversation with you.

Edited by katimaya, 14 November 2013 - 09:51 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#269 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

While piracetam is somewhat dopaminergic, it is rather weakly acting on dopamine in comparison to most antidepressants. It might be possible for some individuals extremely prone to addiction to form a very weak addiction to piracetam, but it failed a clinical trial for treating cocaine addiction, and not a single case report of piracetam addiction exists; unlike most antidepressants which have at least sporadic case reports of addiction.

It does potentiate amphetamines though, and could reasonably be assumed to increase the addictiveness of amphetamines. Modafinil by contrast is a very strange animal, it is weakly addictive in its own right, but very effective in treating addiction to other drugs.

Edit: I should also add, from personal experience I'm fairly good distinguishing drugs with significant dopaminergic action, and piracetam simply isn't one. You're far more likely to get a caffeine addiction in the grand scheme of things. The only thing about piracetam that is remotely likely to cause dependence is the feeling of being more alert and productive. In that regard, you can call a good night sleep addictive.

Thanks for your comments on this. Everything you said makes sense to me. Which is why I found it so weird that I had withdrawal symptoms from it.

Since I actually care about making sense of this stuff, rather than trying to defend my experiences, it really helps to have reasonable people like you showing some actual science to help me figure out what might have happened rather than resorting to accusing me of being dishonest or delusional. Your posts are helping me acutally "get out of [the] box" instead of trying to shove me into one.

There were other factors involved, like first learning about piracetam as an mdma enhancer, and using it to boost effects of self-medicating with various stimulants and psychedelics. After my suicide attempt of overdosing on ridiculous amounts of stimulants and psychedelics, my brain wouldn't work at all, so after the acute psychosis subsided I started self-medicating with piracetam because it made me functional. And then when I ran out I had serious withdrawal symptoms, the worst being "brain zaps" that seem potentially indicitive of serotonin syndrome?

There's a lot we don't know about the brain; there's got to be something biological that happened with my chemistry as a result of some kind of placebo/pavlovian effect. New research indicates that anti-depressants mostly work by triggering the placebo effect in the majority of cases and don't do nearly as much physiologically to fix depression as had been previously believed.

I'm starting to wonder if many of these psych meds simply create some sort of pavlovian response to subtle brain chemistry in a person that triggers a predictable placebo effect rather than actually directly causing pharmacological action to "correct an imbalance" or whatever. It's possible that withdrawal symptoms are related to the placebo effect in some way; that if my brain somehow associated piracetam with stimulants and psychedelics, then by stopping taking piracetam it gave me similar withdrawal symptoms.

There's got to be some sort of connection between neuro-pathway remapping of combining stuff with piracetam and then after months of just taking it on its own having it produce withdrawal symptoms. There is a lot of ancedotal evidence popping up that suggests lamictal has extreme withdrawal symptoms for those who have taken it in parallel with benzodiazapams, even after having stopped benzos for a long time. Since piracetam is considered to improve efficacy of stimulants then it's quite possible that piracetam and amphetamines could create some sort of similar brain chemistry linkage as benzos and lamictal seem to do.

Edited by katimaya, 14 November 2013 - 10:30 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#270 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

so about idra21, any other reports?
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glutamate, idra-21, nmda, health, memory, ltp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users