• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Regrow fingers, limbs etc. with pig bladder powder!?

limb regeneration pig bladder powder

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I don't know whether to take this seriously or joke about it!? :)
Here are instructions on making your own bladder powder and a guy who grew his finger back:
http://www.dailymail...FOUR-weeks.html

Here is a later story about a soldier regrew his thigh muscle with the stuff:
http://singularityhu...cle-for-marine/

I am currently trying to find out more.

#2 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Stephen Badylak Laboratory
http://www.mirm.pitt.edu/badylak/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

I remember this story. It made me wonder about the similarity of the 'pixie dust' with medicinal mushrooms proteoglycans and also about how profuse sweating in a sauna seems to erase cuts in the skin almost instantly (well, they are gone without a trace the next morning as opposed to taking a week to heal otherwise). This is the stuff the extracellular matrix is made of. The scaffolding that supports everything. I wonder why there is no more interest in this.

Edited by xEva, 28 May 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#4 NFP

• 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

This is nuts. I wonder how this works on wrinkles?! Goodbye Botox?

#5 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

Not sure what you mean by 'nuts'. I just read the story in the daily mail link above and it has a different spin on it from the original. This story was covered widely in TV and print media. There were several video clips on youtube. The brother of the guy was not 'a physician' as it is reported in the link above, but actually worked at the lab where this 'pixie dust' was produced as part of the military research to grow new organs. That's why he told his brother not to bother with any other treatments and gave him this powder. In the interviews --and there were several at the time the story came out-- the guy said that the nail on his new finger grew much faster than on his other, older, fingers. I believe this story was legit. In some of the coverage, it was just an illustration to the 'science report' about the growing new organs.

And by the way, humans are known to regrow the last segment of a finger, nail and all, provided they are under ~10 y.o.
  • like x 1

#6 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

Where do you buy this pig bladder powder? It's not as if I had a pig at home that I could slaughter :laugh:

#7 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

Oh and what would happen if you apply it on non-amputated skin, would it cause extra growth?

#8 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Yes, you just apply it wherever you want to grow some fingers.
  • like x 6
  • dislike x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#9 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

LOL the guy that downvoted your post has no sense of humor

#10 tjf816

• 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

I remember this story from a few years ago. It was proven to be bunk and the stuff is snake oil.

The story makes it sounds like he chopped an entire segment of his finger off but he just barely skinned the tip of it. Just look at the photo. Look at the angle it's taken at. It's meant to make the injury look much worse than it was.

#11 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

I remember this story from a few years ago. It was proven to be bunk and the stuff is snake oil.

The story makes it sounds like he chopped an entire segment of his finger off but he just barely skinned the tip of it. Just look at the photo. Look at the angle it's taken at. It's meant to make the injury look much worse than it was.

I followed this story years ago and don't recall seeing it proven to be bunk. Do you have a ref for this?

I saw reputable sources reporting on this story, in the range of PBS and Scientific American -?

#12 tjf816

• 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

http://m.guardiannew...research.health

#13 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

A PR campaign, with the aim to attract investors is a common cause for'science media reports' in Russia, so there may be an ulterior motive here. but. I'm looking at the picture and I don't see it as 'lust a missing tip'. I see what grew above the obvious cut at about the middle of the finger's last segment. The tip in this photograph is still closing in, but the cut itself is at about 2 cm down the tip. Surely you can see it too.

Posted Image

In any rate, if you saw a beating mouse heart, grown in the lab, and saw the coverage about regrown human ears and noses using patients' own cells, the cells were seeded on this extracellular matrix scaffolding. And again, in my personal observation, profuse sweating causes this substance to ooze out with sweat and this literally erases small cuts and abrasions from the skin. They are healed completely overnight instead of taking a weak+ otherwise.

#14 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Yes, you just apply it wherever you want to grow some fingers.

LOL! :laugh:
No jokes about putting this on your penis allowed! :-D

tjf816:
I think you need to re-evaluate your opinion.
Follow the link in my second post and you will find a legit university site with links to on-going research and research papers.

Its not perfect but re-growing thigh muscles to the point where you can walk again is pretty impressive.

I would love to have some of this stuff on hand just for in case there is an accident.

xEva:
That's pretty interesting info about the sauna! I wonder if there is any research on it?

#15 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

I believe the stuff is very, very similar to what you get in mushrooms. My favorite in this regard is young Ganoderma tsugae (= almost the same as reishi), since it is readily available where I live. The mature shroom is tough but young, white specimens are soft and you can chew on them for a long time, like a sort of a sweetish gum. In some ways, shrooms are similar to animals. There is some research on medicinal mushrooms proteoglycans and polysaccharides, the stuff animal extracellular matrix is made of too.

PS oh! I just remembered there was a dressing made out of a pounded bracket shroom and it was used for wounds back in 17-18 CC -? That was the same shroom of which 'felt' hats were made of too. But I think that different shrooms have somewhat different additional properties in this regard. For example, the 'slime' from a larch bolete has many fantastic properties, from antibacterial to supportive of skin and prob. extracellular matrix. Again, this is my personal observation. These mycorrhizal shrooms are not well studied, because you can't grow them on demand like the shroomies that grow on trees.

Edited by xEva, 30 May 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#16 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I went searching for
medicinal mushrooms proteoglycans and polysaccharides extracellular matrix pubmed
and found a lot of interesting studies, but none on limb regeneration by mushrooms. :(

Inhibition of human neutrophil elastase by ergosterol derivatives from the mycelium of Phellinus linteus
http://www.nature.co.../ja201242a.html

Development of a Chitosan Nanofibrillar Scaffold for Skin Repair and Regeneration
http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/bm200680q

Immunostimulatory Bioactivity of Algal Polysaccharides from Chlorella pyrenoidosa Activates Macrophages via Toll-Like Receptor 4
http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf902952z

Medicinal mushroom modulators of molecular targets
as cancer therapeutics
http://esa.ipb.pt/pdf/Refmush_16.pdf

#17 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Not only children, but adults have been known to have grown back last joint of a finger or toe. The standard surgical procedure of taking a flap of skin and folding it over the would to cover it prevents regrowth. Not doing this is no guarantee, as their is a very real risk of infection. I doubt pig bladder powder had anything to do with the regeneration; it seems as if the person let the wound heal without surgical intervention. It might well have done so without the magic powder.

Mushrooms are wonderful things. Turkey tail has been used to dress wounds, and has anti-cancer properties among other things.

#18 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Not only children, but adults have been known to have grown back last joint of a finger or toe. The standard surgical procedure of taking a flap of skin and folding it over the would to cover it prevents regrowth. Not doing this is no guarantee, as their is a very real risk of infection. I doubt pig bladder powder had anything to do with the regeneration; it seems as if the person let the wound heal without surgical intervention. It might well have done so without the magic powder.

I get the impression that you didn't follow the second link I posted after checking on the legitimacy of Dr. Stephen Badylak, DVM., PhD, MD. Professor of Surgery,Deputy Director of the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Director of the Center for Preclinical Testing.

That being the case; there is no point in my posting links to the 229 peer reviewed, published papers with his name on them either, is there?
http://www.mirm.pitt...ublications.asp

Yes; I am pissed off! :)
  • like x 1

#19 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

groupbuy anyone?

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

groupbuy anyone?

Umm, I think I'll wait until that accidental amputation... Did you have some other use in mind?

#21 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

groupbuy anyone?

Umm, I think I'll wait until that accidental amputation... Did you have some other use in mind?

alopecia androgenetica. if it can regrow muscle tissue and the tip of a finger, then it should reverse fibrosis seen in people with higher norwoods (5-7) what are your thoughts?

#22 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

I actually think a group buy (if possible) is a damn good idea:
This is the kind of stuff I'd want in my medicine cabinet just for in-case there is an accident.

#23 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

alopecia androgenetica. if it can regrow muscle tissue and the tip of a finger, then it should reverse fibrosis seen in people with higher norwoods (5-7) what are your thoughts?

I don't think that will work. In the finger case, you have a large open wound, while in the AA case, you have closed skin. To reverse fibrosis, you would need to selectively remove inappropriate tissue, while in the finger case you are growing new tissue through an enhanced wound repair process. I just don't see any similarity at all.

#24 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't think that will work. In the finger case, you have a large open wound, while in the AA case, you have closed skin. To reverse fibrosis, you would need to selectively remove inappropriate tissue, while in the finger case you are growing new tissue through an enhanced wound repair process. I just don't see any similarity at all.

you could use a dermaroller and thus create the (micro) wounds necessary for an enhanced wound repair process.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#25 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

you could use a dermaroller and thus create the (micro) wounds necessary for an enhanced wound repair process.

Hmmm... interesting idea if the powder actually gets into the wounds?
Are you the person who posted about the blister skin issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users