Photo

[FightAging] An Example of Reduced Life Span With Dietary Antioxidants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

It is a myth that dietary antioxidant supplementation can reliably extend life or even reliably do good things for general health. The weight of evidence strongly suggests that the results are either negligible or harmful. Oxidant molecules have many beneficial roles in addition to being damaging in large volumes, and most likely being involved in the progression of aging. They are used as signals in our tissue to spur maintenance processes essential in generating the benefits derived from exercise, for example.

It is possible to reliably extend life with antioxidants, but they have to be carefully designed molecules that target themselves to the mitochondria in our cells, where the most damaging and least necessary oxidants are generated. The types of antioxidant that you can buy in the store, such as those used in this study, don't go to where they can do some good in tissues and instead interfere with useful processes everywhere else:

While oxidative damage owing to reactive oxygen species (ROS) often increases with advancing age and is associated with many age-related diseases, its causative role in ageing is controversial. In particular, studies that have attempted to modulate ROS-induced damage, either upwards or downwards, using antioxidant or genetic approaches, generally do not show a predictable effect on lifespan.

Here, we investigated whether dietary supplementation with either vitamin E (α-tocopherol) or vitamin C (ascorbic acid) affected oxidative damage and lifespan in short-tailed field voles, Microtus agrestis. We predicted that antioxidant supplementation would reduce ROS-induced oxidative damage and increase lifespan relative to unsupplemented controls.

Antioxidant supplementation for nine months reduced hepatic lipid peroxidation, but DNA oxidative damage to hepatocytes and lymphocytes was unaffected. Surprisingly, antioxidant supplementation significantly shortened lifespan in voles maintained under both cold (7 ± 2°C) and warm (22 ± 2°C) conditions. These data further question the predictions of free-radical theory of ageing and critically, given our previous research in mice, indicate that similar levels of antioxidants can induce widely different interspecific effects on lifespan.

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23825087

<br> <br>View the full article

#2 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Another nail in the coffin of the Free Radical theory...
Mind you, if I was designing that experiment I would at least have tried tocotrienols, rather than tocopherols which have been shown to be useless.
I ingest several substances that are antioxidants, but that is not the reason I ingest them.
I'm rather hoping they'll change gene expression levels (eg, reduce constitutive NF-kB).

FWIW

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

I wouldn't nail that coffin too tightly just yet... vitamins C and E aren't mitochondrial antioxidants, nor are they catalytic. Take a look at c60-olive oil.

#4 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

if I was designing that experiment I would at least have tried..

..don't know about life span, but since using all kinds of supplemental antioxidants I haven't had any sunburn anymore.

Edited by pamojja, 11 July 2013 - 04:46 AM.

#5 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

if I was designing that experiment I would at least have tried..

..don't know about life span, but since using all kinds of supplemental antioxidants I haven't had any sunburn anymore.

Rather a pointless comment, since the original post concerned lifespan...
  • Disagree x 1

#6 Avatar of Horus

• 241 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Possibly it's because the reactive oxygen species (ROS) may have some physiological roles in the normal body functioning, for example in the maintenance of the DNA protection and repair mechanisms and too much antioxidant turns them off. So the ROS may have an "optimal level" that is needed.

Some literature about these roles:

Physiological levels of reactive oxygen species are required to maintain genomic stability in stem cells
Stem Cells. 2010 Jul;28(7):1178-85. doi: 10.1002/stem.438.
Li TS, Marbán E.
The Heart Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20506176

Abstract
Stem cell cytogenetic abnormalities constitute a roadblock to regenerative therapies. We investigated the possibility that reactive oxygen species (ROSs) influence genomic stability in cardiac and embryonic stem cells. Karyotypic abnormalities in primary human cardiac stem cells were suppressed by culture in physiological (5%) oxygen, but addition of antioxidants to the medium unexpectedly increased aneuploidy. Intracellular ROS levels were moderately decreased in physiological oxygen, but dramatically decreased by the addition of high-dose antioxidants. Quantification of DNA damage in cardiac stem cells and in human embryonic stem cells revealed a biphasic dose-dependence: antioxidants suppressed DNA damage at low concentrations, but potentiated such damage at higher concentrations. High-dose antioxidants decreased cellular levels of ATM (ataxia-telangiectasia mutated) and other DNA repair enzymes, providing a potential mechanistic basis for the observed effects. These results indicate that physiological levels of intracellular ROS are required to activate the DNA repair pathway for maintaining genomic stability in stem cells. The concept of an "oxidative optimum" for genomic stability has broad implications for stem cell biology and carcinogenesis.

Physiological regulation of cardiac contractility by endogenous reactive oxygen species
Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2012 May;205(1):26-40. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-1716.2012.02391.x.
Perjés A, Kubin AM, Kónyi A, Szabados S, Cziráki A, Skoumal R, Ruskoaho H, Szokodi I.
Heart Institute, Medical School, University of Pécs, Hungary.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22463609

Abstract
Increased production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) has been linked to the pathogenesis of congestive heart failure. However, emerging evidence suggests the involvement of ROS in the regulation of various physiological cellular processes in the myocardium. In this review, we summarize the latest findings regarding the role of ROS in the acute regulation of cardiac contractility. We discuss ROS-dependent modulation of the inotropic responses to G protein-coupled receptor agonists (e.g. β-adrenergic receptor agonists and endothelin-1), the potential cellular sources of ROS (e.g. NAD(P)H oxidases and mitochondria) and the proposed end-targets and signalling pathways by which ROS affect contractility. Accumulating new data supports the fundamental role of endogenously generated ROS to regulate cardiac function under physiological conditions.

and

Role of reactive oxygen species in the regulation of cardiac contractility
J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2011 May;50(5):884-93. doi: 10.1016/j.yjmcc.2011.02.005. Epub 2011 Feb 21.
Kubin AM, Skoumal R, Tavi P, Kónyi A, Perjés A, Leskinen H, Ruskoaho H, Szokodi I.
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Finland.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21320508

and

Physiological roles of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species
Mol Cell. 2012 Oct 26;48(2):158-67. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2012.09.025.
Sena LA, Chandel NS.
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University
Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, USA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23102266

Abstract
Historically, mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (mROS) were thought to exclusively cause cellular damage and lack a physiological function. Accumulation of ROS and oxidative damage have been linked to multiple pathologies, including neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes, cancer, and premature aging. Thus, mROS were originally envisioned as a necessary evil of oxidative metabolism, a product of an imperfect system. Yet few biological systems possess such flagrant imperfections, thanks to the persistent optimization of evolution, and it appears that oxidative metabolism is no different. More and more evidence suggests that mROS are critical for healthy cell function. In this Review, we discuss this evidence following some background on the generation and regulation of mROS.

The role of mitochondrial DNA mutations and free radicals in disease and ageing
J Intern Med. 2013 Jun;273(6):529-43. doi: 10.1111/joim.12055. Epub 2013 Mar 7.
Lagouge M, Larsson NG.
Department of Mitochondrial Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing, Cologne, Germany.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23432181

Abstract
Considerable efforts have been made to understand the role of oxidative stress in age-related diseases and ageing. The mitochondrial free radical theory of ageing, which proposes that damage to mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and other macromolecules caused by the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) during cellular respiration drives ageing, has for a long time been the central hypothesis in the field. However, in contrast with this theory, evidence from an increasing number of experimental studies has suggested that mtDNA mutations may be generated by replication errors rather than by accumulated oxidative damage. Furthermore, interventions to modulate ROS levels in humans and animal models have not produced consistent results in terms of delaying disease progression and extending lifespan. A number of recent experimental findings strongly question the mitochondrial free radical theory of ageing, leading to the emergence of new theories of how age-associated mitochondrial dysfunction may lead to ageing. These new hypotheses are mainly based on the underlying notion that, despite their deleterious role, ROS are essential signalling molecules that mediate stress responses in general and the stress response to age-dependent damage in particular. This novel view of ROS roles has a clear impact on the interpretation of studies in which antioxidants have been used to treat human age-related diseases commonly linked to oxidative stress.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Avatar of Horus

• 241 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

some related infos in this topic:

Antioxidant theory of aging "marginalized recently"
http://www.longecity...lized-recently/

#8 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

this one also, its new and i think it fits to be put in here; http://www.medicalne...ases/310196.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users