Vitamin A in High Doses For Acne

acne vitamin a toxicity

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheBatman

• 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

So many people use accutane to treat and even get rid of their acne. Basically they say that accutane is a derivative of Vitamin A which means they obviously aren't the same, but they do have similar properties. I've read that some people have had really good success treating acne and excessive oil by using high doses of vitamin A.

The main concern here is that Vitamin A can cause toxicity when used chronically and may actually be more harmful then accutane (which I somehow doubt).

Does anyone know of any studies that show what the limits are for Vitamin A? I think i'm gonna start with 100,000IU a day and also check with my dermatologist...

#2 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

That sounds like a toxic dose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

That sounds like a toxic dose.

It may be. I actually decided it would be best to cut back and do 50000iu instead as a sort of "attack" dose, and then 10,000iu a day. I've also read it is extremely hard to get vitamin A in a toxic dose if you have an adequate amount of Vitamin D to go along with it (I think the ratio is about 10:1)

#4 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

The studies showing toxicity of retinol use millions of IUs per day, and in vitamin D/K2 deficient people. If you supplement vitamin D enough to keep a good blood level (~45) and also some extra K2 then no harm will come to you.

#5 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

High doses of Vitamin A did nothing for my acne. Just don't hurt yourself.

#6 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

High doses of Vitamin A did nothing for my acne. Just don't hurt yourself.

How much were you taking? Also did you use vitamin D and k2 along with it? Cause its definitely helping me so far..
  • like x 2

#7 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I've also recently started supplementing molybdenum 400ug/d on top of 8,000IU vitamin A (in addition to what vitamin A I get from diet) and found it's helping my acne a lot too. Molybdenum is needed for the liver to detoxify and so help take the burden off the skin excreting toxins which can cause acne. Might be worth a shot if the vitamin A doesn't completely clear you up...
  • like x 1

#8 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

I once had a teacher that took high doses of vitamin A (retinol) and had to get dentures as a result. She stuck one of those vibrating pens in her mouth, and her teeth were so brittle from the retinol that they all cracked. I'm pretty sure that both retinol and beta-carotene will substantially increase your risk of cancer, especially cancer of the lung if you have ever smoked.

Accutane was originally a chemo drug because it is so toxic.

It is safer ways to handle acne with a change in diet. Remove as many sugars, omega-6 fatty acids as you can, and stop eating grains. Try paleo for a bit.

#9 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

I've also recently started supplementing molybdenum 400ug/d on top of 8,000IU vitamin A (in addition to what vitamin A I get from diet) and found it's helping my acne a lot too. Molybdenum is needed for the liver to detoxify and so help take the burden off the skin excreting toxins which can cause acne. Might be worth a shot if the vitamin A doesn't completely clear you up...

Glad to hear that's working and i'll give it shot if this doesn't workout. I've also been using borage seed oil as well for its anti inflammatory effects that I think will help, but I haven't noticed a difference from it alone. I've also heard milk thistle is great for the liver as well.

#10 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

I once had a teacher that took high doses of vitamin A (retinol) and had to get dentures as a result. She stuck one of those vibrating pens in her mouth, and her teeth were so brittle from the retinol that they all cracked. I'm pretty sure that both retinol and beta-carotene will substantially increase your risk of cancer, especially cancer of the lung if you have ever smoked.

It is safer ways to handle acne with a change in diet. Remove as many sugars, omega-6 fatty acids as you can, and stop eating grains. Try paleo for a bit.

Thanks for the warning.

i've never smoked in my life. I eat a well balanced diet and get plenty of exercise and sleep. I've tried most things the dermatologist has asked me to try and ended up wasting my money.

If anything, I would think Vitamin A would be better for preventing cancer than actually causing it, but I haven't done much research on it. From what I understand 25000IU (which is what i'm taking) is still in the safe zone considering i've read numerous reports of people taking well over 200,000 IU for months at a time. I think the advise you give is great, but it only for those rare breed of people who have to do very little for their perfect skin..

as a side note, I only plan on taking 25,000IU to get rid of my acne and once it's gone, hopefully only 10,000IU will keep it away.

With acne, for me it gets to the point where it can cause self esteem issues that are just as harmful to my health and well being as I imagine smoking would be. I've tried almost everything and this is what I have found to work. (so far)

#11 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:55 AM

Don't remember the dose. It would have been a high dose recommended for acne at the time. Probably didn't take the other vitamins with it.

#12 DePaw

• 239 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

10,000IU is very safe, and in fact the amount the WAPF recommends for all adult.

See: http://www.westonapr...uble-activators
  • like x 1

#13 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

Don't remember the dose. It would have been a high dose recommended for acne at the time. Probably didn't take the other vitamins with it.

Sad day.. Have you found anything else that has actually worked?

#14 Aldrich

• 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

The Latest technological research emphasize the causes of depressive disorders, the wide variety of treatments causes like treatment can mean hanging out speaking with sufferers about their physical....

#15 TheBatman

• Topic Starter
  • 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

The Latest technological research emphasize the causes of depressive disorders, the wide variety of treatments causes like treatment can mean hanging out speaking with sufferers about their physical....

I'm not sure what you mean by that...

Are you saying depression is caused by not being up to par with others?

#16 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

I tried NicAzel for a month and it cleared up my skin (cystic acne) nicely. I only did it for a month since it costs $150 (I did get an $80 rebate, but still...) II'm drinking wheatgrass juice now; I suspect it contains azelaic acid, which is one of the active ingredients in NicAzel, and well as 500mg of niacinamide daily. I take zinc and copper a couple of times a week (not as much as in NicAzel). So far so good. I buy frozen wheatgrass juice from Wholefoods; expensive, but not as bad as NicAzel. Sanjay Gupta mentioned wheatgrass juice a while back as being good for acne. The powdered stuff is freeze-dried whole wheatgrass which contains way too much fiber for me. I do take vitamin A as retinyl palmitate, but only 15,000 IU, twice a week.

I'm a female with hormonal acne.

Edited by lemonhead, 21 August 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#17 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

I am pretty sure this is untrue. See this. No time to dig up better sources, but I am certain the use against some cancers is a more recent development.

And it is certainly much less dangerous than cytotoxic chemotherapy, when used by a health professional.

OP:
Stop mega-dosing vitamin A! See a dermatologist, immediately. Get treated with the appropriate, approved therapy.

Depending on how severe your condition is(!), topical double or tripple therapy* +/- oral low dose doxycycline/isotretinoin** is the way to go.

A healthy anti-inflammatory diet will not hurt, may help.

*retnoid + BPO (+XYZ)
**doxy at 40-50mg/d; do not combine the two drugs

Edited by kismet, 21 August 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#18 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

With acne, for me it gets to the point where it can cause self esteem issues that are just as harmful to my health and well being as I imagine smoking would be

It has become almost fashionable to dismiss accutane out of hand.

That is unfortunate... accutane works... take it for a few months, and your acne will be gone.

(Take a slightly lower dose than is typically recommended, & take some vitamin E/ tocotrienols, to reduce the side effects.)

#19 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

I've found azelaic acid cream to be pretty effective recently. High dose(1 gram and up) Pantothenic acid was also effective. I think I've tried high dose vitamin A in the past and it might have been somewhat effective, but it was so long ago I can't remember the details. It must not have been a full cure or it must have worked only at scary dosages because I didn't keep it up. Vitamin A toxicity can kill you. People have died from eating polar bear liver due to vitamin A toxicity... I would try other things before going down this path.

This, along with eating tons of greens and vegetables, was also very effective. I have to be very strict though or it doesn't work. It is very tough to do for the average person.

#20 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

As far as diet goes, I find avoiding dairy helps.

#21 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

As far as diet goes, I find avoiding dairy helps.

+1

Dairy downregulates Foxo. Accutane activates it. I had bad acne as a teen and took accutane. I also drank a gallon of milk a day.

#22 lost69

• 285 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

accutane synthetic vitamin A retinol type, toxic at high dose over long periods of time.many names for synthetic vit A and many types usually called palmytate

vitamin A from fish liver oil, retinol type, non toxic, i checked all well done human trials (very few) even at 300.000iu daily, no sides effects or very mild ones, no toxicity like synthetic form

cream like isotrtionin (retin A) synthetic form, toxic, if not used properly at right dose and without sun exposure it can damage skin a lot.it made my skin dry and worked on fine lines but it also fasten fat loss on cheeks making me look older...it took about 1 year to recover fat loss

i use a supplement with natural vitamin A for severe oily skin and 10.000iu daily works wonders, also use 10.000iu of vit d3 and vit k2 mk7, no sides at all.i suggested this regimen to many of my clients with severe oily skin and it worked on all except:

one women but we dont know if her problem was oily skin or just sweat because she wears a wig over her hair (i guess wigs make you hot/sweat) and face skin is not oily, only scalp looks wet/oily

one men but he tried 1 week only without vit d and vit k

Edited by lost69, 02 May 2018 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users