Supplements you take on faith VS supplements you can feel doing good

supplementseffects waste of money?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Things that have noticeable (positive) effects for me
  • Curcumin (BCM 95) - a feeling of increased well being, especially noticeable by it's absence whenever I run out of this.
  • Curcumin (Meriva) - I get a drop in mood whenever I run out of this; it's a different feeling than when I stop the BCM95
  • Grape seed extract (meganatural bp) - my complexion becomes somewhat luminous when I take it; also I feel more "limber"/ flexible in my joints
  • Pycnogenol - as with grape seed extract
  • Vitamin D - I think my mood is more stable and robust since I got my serum levels up
  • Zinc picolinate - bumps up my libido
  • Fisetin - this seems to act as a mild mental stimulant, it's doing something - not sure what.
  • Polyphenols - apple, green tea, black tea, milk thistle, olive leaf, resveratrol, pterostilbene, quercetin, cinnamon, etc - vague overall feeling of enhanced wellbeing since I began taking these; healthier looking complexion
  • Metformin - dramatic appetite reduction & weight loss effects
  • Inulin, yoghurt - fewer digestive issues
Things that I take on faith
  • C60-EVOO
  • Melatonin
  • E - tocotrienols, gamma tocopherol (tocotrienols possibly make my hair grow a bit more luxuriantly)
  • K2
  • Omega-3, GLA
  • C
  • B vitamins
  • Various minerals - magnesium, chromium, selenium, lithium, etc
  • Pomegranate
  • Carotenoids - lutein/ zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, lycopene
  • other stuff

Edited by blood, 19 August 2013 - 09:12 AM.

• like x 3

#2 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I don't " feel " anything from 90% of what I take. I rely on the science for any possible benefits.
I have seen changes in my semi annual blood tests from the following
5 methylfolate. 1000mcg. My homocysteine dropped from 12 to 7+
Fish oil/ curcumin ( 95 ) / MSM , CRP from 1.1 to .4
Metformin/ cinsulin- chromium/ green coffee bean extract. Drop in both fasting glucose 95-85, and post prandial from 140- 105 eating the same food. HbA1C from 5.4- 5.1
Simvistatin 5 mg, Niacin 500mg. Drop in Cholesterol from 215- 175
DHEA, Testosterone. Normalized my levels and boosted libido and mood .
Melatonin 3 g time release. Helps me sleep better without meds. ( ambien ).
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Things that I started on faith and showed noticeable (positive) effects:
  • Vitamin C (after a PAD diagnosis almost 5 years ago, together with lysine and all other nutrients recommended by Linus Pauling) - pain-free walking distance improved from mere 3-400 meters up to 2 hours. But only once I exceeded the in his view minimal therapeutic dose of 6g/d. Side-benefits: a since 2 years persistent skin-rush cleared up, hay-fewer symptoms recurring every spring since 12 years got alleviated (though this year it took 30 g/d; in avg. about 20 g/d for 5 years). HbA1c stayed unproportionally low, compared to rising blood glucose. Truly addictive stuff for someone with my health-issues. Only negative side-effect: flatulence.
  • Triphala, Trikatu and other Ayurvedic digestion improving ingredients: only added recently, reduction of flatulence :-)
  • CoQ10 - some years before supplementing I always got angina-like chest pain under conditions of persisting stress (mental or physical). Above 150 mg/d CoQ10 (or half that with Ubiqunol) it's gone. However, whenever I drop below that intake the chest-pain is back - now without any stress :-(
  • Magnesium - with a severe deficiency I immediately get muscle-cramps without (now at 1.5 g/d elemental, of about 1 g/d in average). With the higher dose my blood glucose readings came down.
  • Vitamin B3, Nicotinic acid - strong vasodilation effects with tingling, heat and reddened skin for about 20 minutes with multiples gram doses. Initially not pleasant at all, but by getting used to much milder. Worsening of liver-enzymes counteracted with other supplements.
  • Beta Alanine - light vasodilation with slight tingling.
  • Arginine, AAKG, Citrulline - above 3 g at night morning erection (with my 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta a thing of the past otherwise).
  • Vitamin D3 - initially noticeable increase of energy.
  • Potassium Iodide - once made the experiment if I could handle the 130 mg iodide recommended in the case of a nuclear emergency without going hyper. Within 10 days gradually increased from my usual intake of 10 mg/d up to 100 mg, where I run out of it. Energetically I felt better every day.
  • Melatonin - makes me sleepy and thereby improves my circadian rhythm.
  • Lycopene, Astaxanthin and other Carotenoids - suspect them to be responsible that I haven't had any sun-burns since supplementing almost 5 years now. And for halting the rapid decline of my eyesight.
  • Biotin - suspect it having been responsible for fuller hair, thiner again after substantially reducing the dose.
  • Cholines - helped to improve liver-enzymes. However, also get chaw tension above a certain intake, initially above 500 mg/d, now already above 300 mg/d.
  • LIV.52 and Cystone (Himalaya company) - Ayurvedic blends which improved liver-enzymes further, as well as kidney function markers
  • Omega3s - together with a low cab diet reduced serum triglycerides
  • Pi-, Aniracetam and Sulbutiamine - though only low dose initially also caused a spaced-out feeling. But much easier socializing, speech-fluency and focus as remaining effects.

Things that I started on faith and showed noticeable (negative) effects:
  • Metformin - appetite reduction and weight gain. Discontinued because of severe nausea and vomiting.
  • Aspirin - not used much because of bloody stools repeatedly after only one baby aspirin.
  • Zink - above 60 mg/d and without balancing with Zinc: headache

Things that I started on faith and showed no effects - except maybe, being still alive while my diagnosing MD predicted a 30% chance of dying within 5 years:
  • Plant extracts with high phenolic content like Curcuminoids, Bromelain, EGCG, OPC, Silymarin, Hesperidin, Quercetine, Clorophyll, Tannins, Boswelic acids, Saponins, Punicalgins, D-Glucarate, Indole-3-Carbinol, Rutin, Resveratrol, Uridine, Oleuropeon, Lignans, Icarin, Theaflavins, Theobromin, Withanolides, Cynarin, Anthocyanidins, Forskolin, Allicin, Rosavins, Gingerols, etc. - though within 5 years gradually increasing to about 7 g/d Phenolics now.
  • Prenenone, DHEA, Testosterone, D-Aspartic acid: though subjectively feeling better: serum DHEAs, Testosterone together with first too high Estrogen took a further dive.
  • Desiccated thyroid (Swanson) - no change in labs.
  • All other water-, or fat-soluble Vitamins, Vitaminoids, Minerals, Trace Elements, Amino acids and Ayurvedic herbs...

Edited by pamojja, 19 August 2013 - 06:11 PM.

• like x 3

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

• Zinc - above 60 mg/d and without balancing with Zinc: headache

Errata: without balancing Zinc with Copper.

• Vitamin B3, Nicotinic acid - strong vasodilation effects with tingling, heat and reddened skin for about 20 minutes with multiples gram doses. Initially not pleasant at all, but by getting used to much milder. Worsening of liver-enzymes counteracted with other supplements.

Addendum: Intended for improving lipids, especially more difficult one's like raising HDL or lowering Lp(a). However, beside taxing the liver again (much less though than sustained release Niacin), with a already weakened liver (from Malarias and their treatment) I could see with each rise/fall of liver enzymes an responding change in lipids-numbers (deterioration/improving). Only since my liver really improved this association has decoupled.

Interesting to see how so many nutrients are beneficial - for me with serious medical conditions and having been mal-nurished most my live as a vegetarian. Compared to blood, who seems much more sensitive to herbs with almost no response to essential nutrients.

#5 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I don't " feel " anything from 90% of what I take. I rely on the science for any possible benefits.

I would like to bring more objective measurements into my supplement & health routine. Unfortunately I don't have access to the life extension foundation's wide array of blood tests (they don't do testing for overseas customers, and there is no equivalent organisation in Australia that I am aware of). I could ask my doctor for cholesterol, maybe homocysteine, but I suspect he'd dismiss me as a hypochondriac (which, admittedly, I am :) if I asked for DHEA or testosterone serum levels.

I have obtained a fitbit flex and wifi scales, which should allow better tracking of my activity levels, weight and diet (using the fitbit web app). Not sure how accurate the scales are with the body fat % readings. I think the next step will be to get a glucose meter.

I have seen changes in my semi annual blood tests from the following
5 methylfolate. 1000mcg. My homocysteine dropped from 12 to 7+
Fish oil/ curcumin ( 95 ) / MSM , CRP from 1.1 to .4
Metformin/ cinsulin- chromium/ green coffee bean extract. Drop in both fasting glucose 95-85, and post prandial from 140- 105 eating the same food. HbA1C from 5.4- 5.1
Simvistatin 5 mg, Niacin 500mg. Drop in Cholesterol from 215- 175
DHEA, Testosterone. Normalized my levels and boosted libido and mood .
Melatonin 3 g time release. Helps me sleep better without meds. ( ambien ).

Congrats on all the improvements.

Is the Cinsulin a LEF product? Do you know how Cinsulin differs from Cinnulin PF?

Do you take your metformin in a single dose, or several doses over the day?

#6 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Plant extracts with high phenolic content like Curcuminoids, Bromelain, EGCG, OPC, Silymarin, Hesperidin, Quercetine, Clorophyll, Tannins, Boswelic acids, Saponins, Punicalgins, D-Glucarate, Indole-3-Carbinol, Rutin, Resveratrol, Uridine, Oleuropeon, Lignans, Icarin, Theaflavins, Theobromin, Withanolides, Cynarin, Anthocyanidins, Forskolin, Allicin, Rosavins, Gingerols, etc. - though within 5 years gradually increasing to about 7 g/d Phenolics now.

That's a lot of polyphenols.

I take a few polyphenols in bulk-ish amounts
- resveratrol, 500mg/ day
- grape seed extact, 300-600 mg/ day
- silymarins, 600 mg/ day
- curcuminoids, 400-1000mg/ day
- green tea polyphenols, ~700mg/ day

Other polyphenols I take in much smaller amounts (50-150 mg/ day) - fisetin, pterostilbene, hydroxytyrosol, etc.

I've been wondering if the amounts I'm taking are excessive.

In this article Bill Sardi says the optimal range for polyphenol supplements could be around 150-300 mg/ day:
http://knowledgeofhe...ry-supplements/
(Of course, he is selling low dose resveratrol supplements that supply around that amount of polyphenols per daily serve.)
  • dislike x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#7 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I started taking SAM-e a couple years back for liver health and was amazed when I realized a few months later that my chronic back pain was gone. I work on my feet, and standing in one place for hours was causing back issues that had me worried I'd have to change careers. Nevermore!

If I don't take supplemental vitamin C, my gums bleed when I brush my teeth... Yuck! I expect having my gums ooze blood at lower levels during the day would make for some dreadful halitosis too, so yea... C is a must for me!

If I have even a couple of lite beers with lunch, I used to have problems with a crumping fatigue that would last for hours... Tincture of time, and even coffee wouldn't help, but B-Complex does!

Sex Anyone? Vitamin-E turns me into a real horny-toad. Even in my mid 50s, I'm ready for action every other day. My girlfriend usually likes this, but sometimes she's amazed at my appetite for adventure; especially when I'm not tired from work. I'm afraid our vacations are a real workout for her. Forget to take my E and I'm more interested in sleep than anything else.

Speaking of vacations... If I get to partying too much, taking an IP6 with my last drink of the evening really seems to keep acetaldehyde from alcohol metabolism from doing any nastiness during my slumber/recovery. I haven't found out why yet, but apparently, mopping up serum iron can greatly reduce lipid peroxidation in the liver while it is working on metabolizing acetaldehyde.

I take Curcumin simply due to the research I've seen. Lots of apparent reward with almost no downside risk.

Same with PPC (Polyenylphosphatidylcholine). Fluid membranes make for happy cells. My "Fountain of Youth" supplement. No noticeable immediate benefit, but I really feel good for my age and the research on PPC seems to explain why.

Bloodletting (donation) / Iron Reduction is my other Fountain of Youth therapy. Sometimes I'm a bit fatigued for a few days after an iron dump, but the Iron Hypothesis of Aging and Disease makes more sense than any other theory I've seen.

Edited by synesthesia, 31 August 2013 - 05:51 PM.

• like x 1

#8 mrnootropic

• 180 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Brilliant Topic !!!

I think that most of us dont even feel any benefits from 70% of the supplements we take..
I take my supplements on good faith, although i have ALOT of supplements that give me good results..

These are some :

Noopept - More focus
Egb 761 - Alot more focus, increased cogntion, Anti anxiety and anti stress. One of my favorite supplements.
ALCAR - More Energy
Ashwagandha - Helps me sleep at night.
Melatonin - Anti Anxiety effect, Helps me sleep combined with ashwagandha.. Another favorite supp..

I can list more supplements that work, but make sure you get the best quality available as some supplements dont work because what you are taking is low quality or not even real!..

Edited by Mr.Nootropic, 31 August 2013 - 06:22 PM.

• like x 1

#9 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Faith :
- Fish oil, though now that my omega6/3 ratio is very low I do notice that my joint pain totally disappeared
- Vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin D
- NAC the day after taking some booze
- Magnesium though when I get stress plaques it does make them disappear
- Astaxanthin, didn't notice anything from it but it doesn't harm finishing that bottle!
- B vitamins

Those that does work :
- Zinc
- Kelp (for its iodine content)

Egb 761 - Alot more focus, increased cogntion, Anti anxiety and anti stress. One of my favorite supplements.

More commonly known as Ginkgo biloba :laugh:

#10 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

That's a lot of polyphenols... I've been wondering if the amounts I'm taking are excessive.

In this article Bill Sardi says the optimal range for polyphenol supplements could be around 150-300 mg/ day:
http://knowledgeofhe...ry-supplements/
(Of course, he is selling low dose resveratrol supplements that supply around that amount of polyphenols per daily serve.)

He arrived at this 'optimal range' because between 3-5 glasses of red wine/day is associated with lowest CAD mortality rates. 1 glass = 60mg phenolics, ergo an upper limit of about 300 mgs. (?)

In support an rodent study where the equivalent of up to 350 mg in total of quercetine resveratrol and ferulic acid reduced, but 10 times these phenolics increased damage in an experimental heart attack model.

The fist argument is really funny if ethanol isn't even mentioned as a very likely confounder. The second study doesn't says anything about the optimal intake range of all possible phenolics without a substance which induces an 'experimental heat attack', but these 3 particular penolics in rats given poison.

Hello???

His main argument for limiting phenolics is, that in sufficient amount they would increase stress hormones due to ULT1A enzymes inhibition, in the study linked:

.. data to confirm that SULT1A inhibitors have effect in vivo in at least some patients. Nineteen studies are cited that show ingestion of SULT1A inhibitors leading to catecholamine increases, blood pressure changes, migraine headaches, or atrial fibrillation.

Didn't already we knew that some sensitives can't even drink a cup of tea in the evening? - I'm not one of them, but coffee would be a too strong brew in the evening for me too ;)

Sardi's suggestion of 180 - 350 mg/d as optimal dose because otherwise it could raise blood pressure in at least some is as easy to disprove as the general recommendation to limit salt intake because for the same reason. Just get your pressure repeatedly and you'll know if you are one of some, or the majority.

Edited by pamojja, 01 September 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#11 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Sardi's suggestion of 180 - 350 mg/d as optimal dose because otherwise it could raise blood pressure in at least some is as easy to disprove as the general recommendation to limit salt intake because for the same reason. Just get your pressure repeatedly and you'll know if you are one of some, or the majority.

Good point.

The only example of measurable/ verifiable harm I've read about - wrt polyphenol intake - was mild liver dysfunction/ damage with people taking large doses of green tea polyphenols.

Edited by blood, 02 September 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#12 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I do have "some" tangible evidence that K2 works. It keeps the plaque away. I swear after taking it, the dental plaque stopped building up. At first I thought it was just the sublingual form I was taking. But I switched to capsules & I still get the same effect. No idea what it's doing internally however.

Vit D & B12 I notice mildly increased energy levels. But most other supplements I don't notice any positive benefits.

Be careful with curcumin/turmeric. My Mom just had a terrible reaction using it and taking just one dose of antibiotics at the same time (amoxicillin which she's used many times). They don't mix apparently. She almost ended up in the ER and was very sick for a week.

#13 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Things that I started on faith and showed noticeable (positive) effects (updated):

• Vitamin C (after a PAD diagnosis almost 5 years ago, together with lysine and all other nutrients recommended by Linus Pauling) - pain-free walking distance improved from mere 3-400 meters up to 2 hours. But only once I exceeded the in his view minimal therapeutic dose of 6g/d each. Side-benefits: a since 2 years persistent skin-rush cleared up, hay-fewer symptoms recurring every spring since 12 years got alleviated (though some times it took 30 g/d; in avg. about 22 g/d for 5 years). HbA1c stayed unproportionally low, compared to rising blood glucose. Truly addictive stuff for someone with my health-issues. Only negative side-effect: flatulence.
  • Triphala, Trikatu and other Ayurvedic digestion improving ingredients: only added recently, reduction of flatulence :-)
  • CoQ10 - some years before supplementing I always got angina-like chest pain under conditions of persisting stress (mental or physical). Above 150 mg/d CoQ10 (or half that with Ubiqunol) it's gone. However, whenever I drop below that intake the chest-pain is back - now without any stress :-(
  • Magnesium - with a severe deficiency I immediately get muscle-cramps without (now at 1.8 g/d elemental, of about 1,2 g/d in average). With the higher dose my blood glucose readings came down.
  • Resistant Starch: Since adding about 20 g/d of unmodified Potato Starch (available for 0,99 a pound in local markets here) to a moderately low carb diet (~70 g/d) for about 3 months now - I first noticed a light BG drop, second a mood lift, and thirdly remember now many vivid dreams each night - something I was hoping to get from enough vitamin B6, but which never worked out.
  • Vitamin B3, Nicotinic acid - strong vasodilation effects with tingling, heat and reddened skin for about 20 minutes with multiples gram doses. Initially not pleasant at all, but by getting used to much milder. Worsening of liver-enzymes counteracted with other supplements. Intended for improving lipids, especially more difficult one's like raising HDL or lowering Lp(a). However, beside taxing the liver again (much less though than sustained release Niacin), with a already weakened liver (from Malarias and their treatment) I could see with each rise/fall of liver enzymes an responding change in lipids-numbers (deterioration/improving). Only since my liver really improved this association has decoupled.
  • Arginine, AAKG, Citrulline - above 3 g at night morning erection (with my 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta a thing of the past otherwise).
  • Vitamin D3 - initially noticeable increase of energy.
  • Beta Alanine - light vasodilation with slight tingling.
  • Potassium Iodide - once made the experiment if I could handle the 130 mg iodide recommended in the case of a nuclear emergency without going hyper. Within 10 days gradually increased from my usual intake of 10 mg/d up to 100 mg, where I run out of it. Energetically I felt better every day.
  • Melatonin - makes me sleepy and thereby improves circadian rhythm.
  • Lycopene, Astaxanthin and other Carotenoids - suspect them to be responsible that I haven't had any sun-burns since supplementing almost 5 years now. And for halting the rapid decline of my eyesight.
  • Biotin - suspect it having been responsible for fuller hair, thiner again after substantially reducing the dose.
  • Cholines - helped to improve liver-enzymes. However, also get chaw tension above a certain intake, initially above 500 mg/d, now already above 300 mg/d.
  • LIV.52 and Cystone (Himalaya company) - Ayurvedic blends which improved liver-enzymes further, as well as kidney function markers
  • Omega3s - together with a low cab diet reduced serum triglycerides
  • Pi-, Aniracetam and Sulbutiamine - though only low dose initially also caused a spaced-out feeling. But much easier socializing, speech-fluency and focus as remaining effects.

Things that I started on faith and showed noticeable (negative) effects:
  • Metformin - appetite reduction and weight gain. Discontinued because a small dose of 250 mg/d caused nausea and vomiting, but moreover halfing of my serum Vitamin B12 levels.
  • Aspirin - not used much because of bloody stools repeatedly after only one baby aspirin.
  • Zink - above 60 mg/d and without balancing with Copper: headache

Things that I started on faith and showed no effects - except maybe, being still alive while my diagnosing MD predicted a 30% chance of dying within 5 years:
  • Plant extracts with high phenolic content like Curcuminoids, Bromelain, EGCG, OPC, Silymarin, Hesperidin, Quercetine, Clorophyll, Tannins, Boswelic acids, Saponins, Punicalgins, D-Glucarate, Indole-3-Carbinol, Rutin, Resveratrol, Uridine, Oleuropeon, Lignans, Icarin, Theaflavins, Theobromin, Withanolides, Cynarin, Anthocyanidins, Forskolin, Allicin, Rosavins, Gingerols, etc. - though having taken in average about 3.8 g/d last 5 years.
  • Prenenone, DHEA, Testosterone, D-Aspartic acid: though subjectively feeling better: serum DHEAs, Testosterone together with first too high Estrogen took a further dive.
  • Desiccated thyroid (Swanson) - no change in labs.
  • All other water-, or fat-soluble Vitamins, Vitaminoids, Minerals, Trace Elements, Amino acids and Ayurvedic herbs...

Edited by pamojja, 08 June 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#14 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Feel: 

niacin, glutamine, NAC, EPA & DHA, vitamin C, MCT oil

Faith:

curcumin, resveratrol, selenium, kelp iodine, zinc, vitamin D, choline, uridine, creatine, taurine, ALCAR, BA, k2, b12

Edited by LexLux, 11 June 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#15 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

When you ingest many supplements for various reasons, it's difficult to distinguish what actually affects the way you feel except for nootropics. That's why we need and rely on the published studies for data.
Maybe melatonin, NR?
Mostly the things we take work on a cellular level, if at all.. Blood tests are the easiest way to see if some of the things are actually working. They can easily measure some of the processes implicated in aging, methylation, inflammation, glycation etc.

#16 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

• Resistant Starch: Since adding about 20 g/d of unmodified Potato Starch (available for 0,99 a pound in local markets here) to a moderately low carb diet (~70 g/d) for about 3 months now - I first noticed a light BG drop, second a mood lift, and thirdly remember now many vivid dreams each night - something I was hoping to get from enough vitamin B6, but which never worked out.

Hi pamojja,

which product of Potato Starch did you buy (maybe "Fixina")? I bought an organic one ("Bauckhof Kartoffelmehl"), but I'm confused about the different names: the packaging says "Potato Flour", ingredients say "Potato Starch".

In another thread here in the forum and on other sites I read that Potato Flour and Starch are completely different things with different properties and benefits, only the real Potato Starch delivers the wished "Resistant Starch".  And what does "unmodified" exactly mean?

Personal experience: Two days ago I took about 4 tablespoons of the above mentioned product and got massive flatulence, which nearly lasted a whole day. That was no fun ...  :wacko:

Maybe you or someone else here could help to make things more clear for me.

Thank you,

capricorn

#17 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Which product of Potato Starch did you buy (maybe "Fixina")? I bought an organic one ("Bauckhof Kartoffelmehl"), but I'm confused about the different names: the packaging says "Potato Flour", ingredients say "Potato Starch".

In another thread here in the forum and on other sites I read that Potato Flour and Starch are completely different things with different properties and benefits, only the real Potato Starch delivers the wished "Resistant Starch".  And what does "unmodified" exactly mean?

Personal experience: Two days ago I took about 4 tablespoons of the above mentioned product and got massive flatulence, which nearly lasted a whole day. That was no fun ...  :wacko:

Maybe you or someone else here could help to make things more clear for me.

Thank you,

capricorn

I have seen these products described as both potato flour and potato starch. I enquired once but was given a meaningless reply. I bought a bag of thus named stuff, and it was clear to me that it was not unmodified potato starch. The difference, in my opinion, is that potato flour is very light and floury, whereas potato starch is stiffer when you mix it into water. It forms a thick deposit at the bottom of the glass which you have to stir vigorously to make it mix in with the  water. It is unmistakable then.

Technically, the difference is that potato flour, I think is made out of the whole cooked potato; whereas potato starch is just extracted from the uncooked potato by cold water treatment. For example, if you processed a raw potato with water, a lot of its starch would come out in the water and make it cloudy. So "unmodified" potato starch is just the raw starch. Bob's Red Mill brand is the real McCoy, but there are others.

Edited by Gerrans, 27 June 2014 - 10:58 AM.

• dislike x 1

#18 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Couldn't find an organic PS which stated in the nutritional facts that it contained 80% starch, it's usual value. Fixina's PS, though not stating 'unmodified', does contain 0% sugars and 80% carbs, which could match the real thing.

PS, just as ascorbic acid in multiple grams, can give massive flatulence, therefore it's recommended to start slowly with it, like 1 Tbs./d for the first few days and gradually increasing to at least 20 g/d, or spreading it throughout the day.

Agree with Gerrans what 'unmodified' means. Though never compared it's dissolving qualities to potato flour, Fixina does mix pretty easy. The real test for me was measured blood glucose, fasting and 1hr postprandial, before and after starting with PS, which showed that it lowered BG just as PS is expected to do.

Which product of Potato Starch did you buy (maybe "Fixina")? I bought an organic one ("Bauckhof Kartoffelmehl"), but I'm confused about the different names: the packaging says "Potato Flour", ingredients say "Potato Starch".

Technically, the difference is that potato flour, I think is made out of the whole cooked potato; whereas potato starch is just extracted from the uncooked potato by cold water treatment. For example, if you processed a raw potato with water, a lot of its starch would come out in the water and make it cloudy. So "unmodified" potato starch is just the raw starch. Bob's Red Mill brand is the real McCoy, but there are others.

#19 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

I have seen these products described as both potato flour and potato starch. I enquired once but was given a meaningless reply. I bought a bag of thus named stuff, and it was clear to me that it was not unmodified potato starch. The difference, in my opinion, is that potato flour is very light and floury, whereas potato starch is stiffer when you mix it into water. It forms a thick deposit at the bottom of the glass which you have to stir vigorously to make it mix in with the  water. It is unmistakable then.

The organic one I bought is also very light and has a bit of potato smell - true starch should be odorless. It dissolves instantly in water and becomes nearly invisible. Couldn't find a source for Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch in the EU and I don't want to order it from the US, do you have some alternatives, gerrans?

Thank you,

capricorn

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

Couldn't find an organic PS which stated in the nutritional facts that it contained 80% starch, it's usual value. Fixina's PS, though not stating 'unmodified', does contain 0% sugars and 80% carbs, which could match the real thing.

PS, just as ascorbic acid in multiple grams, can give massive flatulence, therefore it's recommended to start slowly with it, like 1 Tbs./d for the first few days and gradually increasing to at least 20 g/d, or spreading it throughout the day.

Agree with Gerrans what 'unmodified' means. Though never compared it's dissolving qualities to potato flour, Fixina does mix pretty easy. The real test for me was measured blood glucose, fasting and 1hr postprandial, before and after starting with PS, which showed that it lowered BG just as PS is expected to do.

I bought the organic one at "Reformhaus Martin" (EUR 2,49 for 250 gram). Nutritional facts per 100 gram say: 81,5 carbohydrate of which sugars < 0,5 (fat < 0,3 / fibre < 1,0 / protein < 0,5 / salt < 0,03). I'm still speculating if it's the "real" Resistant Starch ...

You're right - I should have started with lower doses. I think this was the worst flatulence I ever experienced. So I will make a break for a few days and then try again. Finally I will try to get some Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch or so to see if there's a difference.

Best Regards,

capricorn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users