* * * * * 1 votes

Verisol collagen peptides for skin elasticity

skin collagen peptides elasticity verasol

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

2.5 grams of Verisol collagen peptides per day apparently increases "skin elasticity"... anyone tried it?

Swanson's Verisol product: http://www.swansonvi...-3-7-grams-pkts

Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2014;27(1):47-55. doi: 10.1159/000351376. Epub 2013 Aug 14.

Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study.

Proksch E, Segger D, Degwert J, Schunck M, Zague V, Oesser S.

Source
Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany.

Abstract

Various dietary supplements are claimed to have cutaneous anti-aging properties; however, there are a limited number of research studies supporting these claims. The objective of this research was to study the effectiveness of collagen hydrolysate (CH) composed of specific collagen peptides on skin biophysical parameters related to cutaneous aging. In this double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, 69 women aged 35-55 years were randomized to receive 2.5 g or 5.0 g of CH or placebo once daily for 8 weeks, with 23 subjects being allocated to each treatment group. Skin elasticity, skin moisture, transepidermal water loss and skin roughness were objectively measured before the first oral product application (t0) and after 4 (t1) and 8 weeks (t2) of regular intake. Skin elasticity (primary interest) was also assessed at follow-up 4 weeks after the last intake of CH (t3, 4-week regression phase). At the end of the study, skin elasticity in both CH dosage groups showed a statistically significant improvement in comparison to placebo. After 4 weeks of follow-up treatment, a statistically significantly higher skin elasticity level was determined in elderly women. With regard to skin moisture and skin evaporation, a positive influence of CH treatment could be observed in a subgroup analysis, but data failed to reach a level of statistical significance. No side effects were noted throughout the study.

© 2013 S. Karger AG, Basel.

PMID: 23949208 [PubMed - in process]

Nutra ingredients article:

http://www.nutraingr...nefits-RCT-data

Verisol collagen supplements may offer long-lasting skin elasticity benefits: RCT data

Oral supplements of specific collagen peptides may improve skin elasticity by up to 30%, says a new study using Gelita’s Verisol branded ingredient.

The study, published in Skin Pharmacology and Physiology , is said to be the first clinical trial to demonstrate the efficacy of collagen hydrolysate (Verisol) at a low dosage (2.5 g/day) on skin physiology.

“The results clearly revealed that both dosages (2.5 and 5.0 g) of the specific collagen hydrolysate had a beneficial effect on skin physiology, as indicated by increased skin elasticity after 4 weeks of daily consumption,” wrote researchers from the University of Kiel (Germany), the Collagen Research Institute (Kiel, Germany), Skin Investigation and Technology (Hamburg, Germany), and the University of São Paulo (Brazil).

The results showed that skin elasticity, which was the primary endpoint, was improved after four and eight weeks in both collagen hydrolysate groups, compared with placebo, with no statistically significant differences between the collagen groups.

Further analysis revealed that the effects of the collagen supplement skin elasticity were more pronounced in women aged over 50.

“The fact that this positive effect was still detectable at the end of the 4-week washout phase suggests a long-lasting dermal physiological effect,” wrote the researchers. “These findings are in contrast to topical products which should be mostly effective in the skin ageing-encountered superficial dermis and epidermis, where improved skin elasticity is predominantly caused by an increase in epidermal hydration.”

On the other hand, no statistically significant effects were observed for skin moisture and skin evaporation, although a “positive influence” was observed for skin moisture (improvements of 11 to 14%) and skin evaporation (improvements of 6 to 7%) in women over 50.

Prof Proksch and his co-workers noted that experimental studies with human collagen-producing skin cells (fibroblasts) have shown that the Verisol collagen product may stimulate the expression of skin extracellular matrix macromolecules.

“After supplementation of the collagen peptides to fibroblast cultures a pronounced increase of type I collagen expression as well as in the expression of proteoglycans like biglycan, decorin and versican could be observed,” they explained.

“Although further investigations are needed, it could be speculated that the observed positive effect of collagen hydrolysates on skin elasticity might be caused by an increase of dermal matrix macromolecule biosynthesis.”

• like x 4

#2 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

Haven't tried that type of collagen yet. Here's another brand:

http://www.zebraorga...nder-p-244.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 SeekingSerenity

• 61 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Haven't tried that type of collagen yet. Here's another brand:

http://www.zebraorga...nder-p-244.html

Luminosity,

Did you try the Zebra brand or any other brand?

If so, how were your results?

#4 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I tried a sample of the Verisol raw material, just to see what it tastes like. It is practically flavorless and doesn't have that nasty burnt hair smell like some hydrolyzed collagen have. It is made by Gelita, and is similar to the hydrolyzed collagen they call Fortigel (for joints) and another one they call Knox Nutrajoint or Knox Drinking Gelatin. Only they claim Verisol is a unique molecular weight and therefore a bit different than the ones they make for joints. Gelita obtained their controlled hydrolysis technology when they bought the DGF Stoess Gelatin company in Germany. They control the hydrolysis to a higher degree than the other hydrolyzed collagen manufacturers which is why it doesn't smell and taste bad like the others (the smell is mainly from totally hydrolyzed cysteine and methionine which smell bad when they are hydrolyzed all the way into free form amino acids). Anyway, they can hydrolyzed the collagen to specific molecular weight ranges which the other companies can't. Here's a link to their sales sheet for the raw material http://www.gelita.co...VERISOL eng.pdf
In their clinical study women over 50 showed the most improvement in wrinkle volume reduction around their eyes. Other companies besides Swanson will be selling it soon in both Powder and Tablet form.
  • like x 2

#5 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Here's more info on DGF Stoess and Gelita http://www.nutraceut...latine-experts/
And here is one of their patents that describe how they hydrolyze the collagen (gelatin) http://www.google.de/patents/US4804745

Edited by MrSpud, 07 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

• like x 2

#6 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:01 AM

SeekingSerenity,

I haven't tried either one.

MrSpud,

Thanks so much. You're very impressive. Is this just basically hydrolyzed type I bovine or porcine collagen? Like Great Lakes or Neocell? Only they have some differences? It doesn't stink. Does it have a lower molecular weight and is therefore more absorbable? I can't break down the usual type I and III collagen and it make my skin break out.

What is my best bet for getting some of this stuff without added ingredients?

Edited by Luminosity, 08 September 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#7 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Questions for Gelita, . . . . .[I am contacting the company and asking them to come here]

I understand that your company makes Fortigel, Verisol and other collagens. I am rebuilding my joints with Neocell Type II collagen that I buy from Swansons, as well as other supplements. People are very interested in collagen for rebuilding their bodies and anti-aging but it is confusing at the same time. People on this site ask me questions about collagen and I try to help them the best I can.

What kind of animals is Verisol made from and what parts of the animals? Is it type I collagen? How would it differ from other hydrolyzed gelatins? I understand that you use enzymes to hydrolyze the collagen and that is the difference. I understand that the product doesn't smell as some gelatins do. Is the molecular weight smaller and therefore it is more absorbable? When I eat Great Lakes gelatin or Neocell types I and III collagens, my body can't break them down and and my skin breaks out, so I don't take them.

I have basically the same questions about Fortigel. What kinds of animals is it from and what parts of the animals? What type of collagen is is? Type I? Type II? Type III? How would your product differ from other similar products? If it is type II collagen, how would it differ from NeoCell's?

What other collagens do you have?

Finally, I have a request. You probably know that supplement manufacturers will add a lot of other stuff to your product. That can be a problem. There are some people that cannot take citric acid, malic acid, flavorings, preservatives, fillers or tableting agents. In fact, citric acid and malic acid irritate some people's joints. I personally don't absorb many supplements well in tablet form. I hope you will make all your health products available in pure form so the people that may need them most can use them. Personally, I like to mix the collagen powder I take with water and certain vitamin C's at home. I feel it is more absorbable that way, and contains no preservatives. I would prefer if I could buy that collagen in a plain powder. Right now, I have to break open capsules of the stuff I get from Swansons and I could do without that. Swansons, Vitacost, and iHerb are places where serious supplement consumers buy a lot of stuff, so consider making pure, plain versions of your health products available through them.

This site is the best place I know for reaching people who like to make their own supplements, so consider letting us know if you have plain versions of your collagens that consumers can buy.

Thanks.

Edited by Luminosity, 08 September 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#8 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

It's basically hydrolyzed type I collagen. They have it available in both bovine or porcine. They hydrolyze them in a controlled way to make them unique and they claim that you might not get the same results at the same dosage as was obtained in their clinical studies if you take different ones. I'm not sure how much that last part is marketing though, but they really do taste and smell better than most hydrolyzed collagens.

Edited by MrSpud, 08 September 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#9 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

Thanks.

#10 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Here's what I've gotten from Gelita:

Dear Luminosity,

Thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in GELITA's products.

GELITA supplies exclusively business-to-business, what means that we act as
a supplier to the brands you find in the shelves. GELITA does not market
consumer products.
If there are any questions about consumer products from your side, we
recommend to contact the respective manufacturer directly.

GELITA collagen peptides are mainly made of Type I collagen. Differences
between Type I and Type II collagen are according to a scientific
understanding not physiologically noticeable. The amino acids are identical
and the amino acid composition almost identical. Particularly in hydrolyzed
collagen, the differences are under 4%.
Type I collagen occurs mainly in skin and bones and is thus easier to
produce in a pure format.
GELITA manufactures a range of Bioactive Collagen Peptides®. These are
specific compositions of collagen peptides, optimized to stimulate certain
body functions (skin improvement, joint health) in a natural way. Bioactive
Collagen Peptides® and their benefits are substantiated by high level
clinical trials.

I hope I was able to be of assistance!

Best regards

Edited by Luminosity, 01 October 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#11 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

<span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif"><span style='font-size: 12px;'><br />
Dear Luminosity,</span></span><span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif"><span style='font-size: 12px;'><br />
<br />
<br />
Thank you very much for your e-mail.<br />
<br />
The first VERISOL study has been published recently and can be downloaded<br />
here: <a href='http://www.karger.co...FullText/351376' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.karger.co...ext/351376</a>. The second study was<br />
accepted for publication.<br />
<br />
Collagen Peptides are always from mammalian origin. VERISOL is either made<br />
out of pork skin or beef hide. The unique benefits and technological<br />
advantages of VERISOL are based on our very specific production process,<br />
which is confidential and proprietary of GELITA. Same applies for FORTIGEL,<br />
which is a very well researched product. GELITA is continuously working on<br />
expanding our line of Bioactive Collagen Peptides.<br />
<br />
Regarding your problems with the below mentioned products: In general,<br />
Collagen Peptides are known for their very low allergenic potential. We are<br />
prohibited by law from answering specific questions about your health or to<br />
give advice relating to your nutritional status. Please consult with a<br />
health care professional.<br />
<br />
Thank you very much for your suggestion for final product applications. We<br />
really appreciate your comment and will bring it up with our customers, as<br />
we are selling exclusively to B2B companies.<br />
<br />
Best regards<br />
<br />
[Name and title removed]<br />
<br />
.&nbsp;&nbsp;.&nbsp;&nbsp;.&nbsp;&nbsp;Eberbach/ Germany</span></span></p>

Edited by Luminosity, 27 October 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#12 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Here is an article talking about some of the things Gelita says may not be true:

Against the peptide: EFSA acknowledges elasticity/wrinkle benefits but rejects skin health claim

German supplier Gelita says general food law can be a place for skin health and beauty claims after the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) rejected its peptide-based skin health claim

EFSA’s health claims panel agreed, <i></i><i>skin elasticity leading to an improvement in skin function is a beneficial physiological effect” </i>but said this was not demonstrated in two human studies, one animal study and one <i>in vitro</i> study.</p><p>Responding to the rejection, Gelita said claimless nutrients like its VeriSol peptide under the EU nutrition and health claims regulation (NHCR), could find hope in general EU food law where principles about general misleading advertising were outlined.</p><p><i>“The rules say that the labeling and marketing of a food must not be misleading particularly by attributing to the food stuff effects or properties which it does not possess and which are not scientifically substantiated,”</i> Gelita said.</p><p><i>“Therefore, we believe that a beauty claim that does not suggest or imply that a relationship between the food and health does exist may be used if supported by strong and relevant scientific studies.”</i></p><p>It said the rejection therefore gave it confidence, <i>“that customers can promote the demonstrated and scientific proven VeriSol&nbsp;</i><i>benefits … under the respective food legislation.

In its <a href="http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/3257.pdf" target="_blank" >opinion</a>
EFSA highlighted one randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study where 114&nbsp;women received 2.5 g of VeriSol daily for eight&nbsp;weeks or placebo.

The primary outcome was volume of eye wrinkles with secondary outcomes of content of pro-collagen type&nbsp;I, elastin and fibrillin in suction blister biopsies.</p><p>In dismissing the study EFSA’s Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies (DNA) said the study, <i>“did not assess a function of the skin, and considers that no conclusions can be drawn from this study for the scientific substantiation of the claim.”</i></p><p>Another randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with 69&nbsp;women receiving the same dose for the same length of time (or placebo) had skin elasticity and skin hydration as primary outcomes. Secondary outcomes were transepidermal and transonychial water loss and skin roughness.</p><p>The Panel said, <i>“that measures of transepidermal water loss can be used as scientific evidence for a function, i.e. the water barrier function, of the skin, and that measures of the water-holding capacity (hydration) of skin may be used as supportive evidence.”</i></p><p>But, <i>“There were no significant differences between the groups for transepidermal water loss or skin hydration at any time point. The Panel notes that this study did not show an effect on the water barrier function of the skin, and that no other function of the skin was measured.”</i></p><p>It therefore concluded that,<i>&nbsp;“a cause and effect relationship has not been established between the consumption of VeriSol and a change in skin elasticity leading to an improvement in skin function.”</i></p><p>Gelita said of that conclusion that, <i>&quot;EFSA decided to report only those outcomes which were directly relevant for the claimed effect under assessment and did not comment on the positive results (elasticity/wrinkle reduction) as they do not consider them as 'skin functions' and therefore not health claim relevant.&quot;

Source: http://www.nutraingr...in-health-claim

#13 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

Can you break that down to a few sentences in layman's terms?

• like x 1

#14 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:26 AM

From nutritionexupress.com I ordered a verisol product made by lindberg supplying only that collagen and nothing else. It mixes emphatically.

I applied this product because it was created without artificial sweeteners and was a terrific price judging on the kinds I surveyed.

It is available in 30 day, 60 day and 90 day supplies. The 30 and 90 are capsules and the 60 is powder but they are all about the same charge per amount which was different because usually powder is discounted.

Edited by ironfistx, 30 September 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#15 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

So what's the verdict on gelita's collagen products? Better than the other collagen products out there?
So what's the verdict on gelita's collagen products? Better than the other collagen products out there?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

updates on verisol, anyone tried it or still uses it? i recently saw news about them again and they seem to be going strong 2 years after this thread was made

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, collagen, peptides, elasticity, verasol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users