Is Vinpocetine causing depression?

vinpocetine depression lowered dopamine negative effects

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Christian Hunter

• 21 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hey all,

I have a problem with vinpocetine. Despite what I was led to believe by the online hype and ever-eager retailers (in terms of vinpocetine's benefits), I personally noticed a marked decrease in feelings of well-being that began almost immediately after adding it to my nootropic stack!

That prompted me to do some more research into whether depression was a possible side effect, or if perhaps I just got bunk vinpocetine.

It didn’t take long for me to begin discovering some real disconcerting facts about this nootropic. These findings appeared to confirm my personal experience and, frankly, left me scratching my head wondering how vinpocetine is as popular as it apparently is. Below I've shared some of the headline-findings:

Studies have proven that vinpocetine increases neuronal levels of 3,4-Dihydroxyphenylacetic acid, or "DOPAC", similar to Reserpine’s effect (a pharmaceutical with which vinpocetine shares structural similarity). Concurrent with increased DOPAC production is a corresponding decrease in dopamine production (here is link to one of the studies: http://j.mp/vinpocetinestudy), as well a degradation in catecholamine levels.

UGH! That sounds like a veritable depression buffet to me!

I'm paraphrasing, but Wikipedia essentially says “if you get super depressed then you just stop taking it and your depression will tend to diminish...in 3-4 weeks"! Yikes.

Here are actual quotes from various publications:

“A metabolic breakdown product of dopamine, have been shown to occur in striatal isolated nerve endings as a result of exposure to vinpocetine.”

“Such an effect is consistent with the biogenic pharmacology of reserpine, a structural relative of vinpocetine, which depletes catecholamine levels and causes depression as a side effect of the cardiovascular and anti-psychotic effects.”

“However, this effect tends to be reversible upon cessation of vinpocetine administration, with full remission typically occurring within 3–4 weeks.”

Um, hard pass!

Please let me know what I may be missing here guys, but vinpocetine sounds like it just sucks and should be sub’d for something like Hydergine (where you get the cerebral vascularity AND anti-aging properties as a bonus). Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Christian Hunter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vinpocetine, depression, lowered dopamine, negative effects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users