Hip arthritis - what to take to reduce pain

hip; arthritis;:

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Andrey_81

• 249 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hi there,

my mom (57 year old) started to have hip pain. It lasts for one month and she is taking some pain killers but without any help. She visited a doctor and made some x-ray. It's visible that she has starting level of hip artritis She can walk normally but she can feel the paint the whole day. The worst pain is in the morning when she has to get up. The doctor says that there is nothing she can do because there is no cure for this and that she can expect to feel worse in few years. The doctor also sad that she will fell the pain from time to time (depending on the wheather conditions etc..), but she can feel this pain every single day for the past one month and it's not getting any better.

Is there any natural suplement that can help? Some kind of natural remedy that can reduce the pain or to block any further hip damage?

Thank you so much!
Andrey

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Gelatin helped me when I was having hip pain. But then I'm in my 30s so YMMV.
But it's definitely worth a shot, something as safe and cheap as jello (Jell it for best effect).

Edited by rwac, 03 December 2013 - 11:22 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Andrey_81

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Does it make sense to try Cissus or glocosamine?

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

I did use glucosamine for a while, I think it helped, but it was a long time ago.
My joint pain has stayed gone with gelatin though.

#5 Andrey_81

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

I did use glucosamine for a while, I think it helped, but it was a long time ago.

Thank you for help. It makes sense to try gelatin considering that it will act like a bone lubrication.
Regards

#6 Fred_CALICO

• 106 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

http://www.annexpubl...hritic-dogs.pdf

I know we are not dogs! Read track

#7 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Collagen or gelatin or bone broth daily. Works very well for me, I am in my mid-fifties with extensive deterioration of lower spine/hips according to xray. When I take the collagen I am pretty much pain free. MSM and Vitamin C help, I'm pretty sure. Tulsi tea also helps with the inflammation.
  • like x 1

#8 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

I have arthritis in the knees and a little in the right hip; but things have improved greatly this last couple of years, when I have been taking glucosamine and either collagen or gelatin, and recently also also niacinamide and vitamin C. I don't know of anything to take to kill a pain dead, however, though one can reduce it temporarily with painkillers.

But I hope you won't think I am being simplistic if I mention something surprising that I discovered recently. I was turning the mattress over and happened to look at the bed underneath it, where I noticed a slight hollow had formed below where I usually lie, which is on one side of the double bed. This hollow came to an abrupt end at a ridge along the middle of the bed where the two halves of the base join. It struck me that the ridge coincided with where my hip hurts when I sleep on my right side. Since then I have swapped sides of the bed and have much less hip pain and will buy a new bed soon.

The reason I found this so surprising is that the orthopaedic mattress is very firm and thick and itself does not show signs of a hollow. The problem area is about a foot beneath where I rest on the mattress, so the principle must be like that of the princess and the pea. Do not overlook matters such as your mother's interaction with her bed, chair, etc., for very tiny ergonomic mismatches can exacerbate arthritic conditions.

Edited by Gerrans, 04 December 2013 - 12:54 AM.

• like x 2

#9 Fred_CALICO

• 106 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

You are not simplistic, but observer.

#10 Andrey_81

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

There is one product that contains following ingredients per serving (daily intake):
BioCell Collagen II (1000 mg)
Hyaluronic Acid (100 mg)
Chondroitin Sulfate (200 mg)
Hydrolyzed Collagen Type II (600 mg)

Could this be 'all in one' formula for joint pain considering that collagen and hyaluronic acid are naturally present between bones and joints?

#11 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Look into Cissus Quadrangularis.

#12 Andrey_81

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Look into Cissus Quadrangularis.

This is something she already started to take, but it's to early to notice some results.

#13 Andrey_81

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thank you all for help! Especiall to 'rwac'. After my mom took gelatin the pain started to fade within only 15 days. Afer a month she was much, much better and she felt a pain only after some hard work or long walks. After 3 months of continuous use the pane is completelly gone and now she feals like she never had a single problem with her hip. She can work in a garden, have a long walks and stay on foot all day long without a single pain . Thank you all for this :wub:

• like x 1

#14 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

HGH injected into the joint capsule works:

http://www.iagh.com/   (terrible website but the doctor and the therapy behind it is legit)

It might be possible to start healing by experimenting with legal peptides that improve healing, like HGH-releasing peptides + Thymosin beta 4.

Edited by platypus, 06 June 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#15 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thank you all for help! Especiall to 'rwac'. After my mom took gelatin the pain started to fade within only 15 days. Afer a month she was much, much better and she felt a pain only after some hard work or long walks. After 3 months of continuous use the pane is completelly gone and now she feals like she never had a single problem with her hip. She can work in a garden, have a long walks and stay on foot all day long without a single pain . Thank you all for this :wub:

Thanks for letting us know. :~

#16 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

Have the Vitamin D levels tested

If it could do with a boost, 'high' dose on 10,000IU per day along with some Vitamin K2 MK7.

I have a congenital subluxed hip that has given me arthritis since my early 20's. In my early 30's now. Still limited in what I can do with it but I'm doing anything to avoid getting a hip replacement. My twin brother had the same condition, maybe a little worse. He had many operations, many failed, probably over 100 xrays (and not in an area you want a dose of radiation!) Had that metal hip that leeched chromium into his blood, got it out and back to the 'old tech' of ceramic. He still walks around with pain and a limp. All he went through seems so pointless in hindsight.

#17 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

http://www.iagh.com/   (terrible website but the doctor and the therapy behind it is legit)

This looks like a money sink, eg, quoting the site: "Insurance will be verified prior to any office visit for coverage of office visits and x-rays ONLY. If Dr. Dunn is not a provider for your insurance or if no insurance, charges are as follows: First office visit: $160.00
Follow-up office visits: $85.00
X-Rays (this is an estimate only and may not be required at every visit): cost up to $120.00
IAGH injections COST $450.00 per injection (6 to 12 injections may be needed. Double dose injections for the hip cost $780.00 for each hip injection. No insurance plan will cover the cost of the iagh injections. "

Have you had any of this done, Platypus?

#18 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

What kind of doses (of gelatin) are people using?

Edited by blood, 07 June 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#19 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Icariin from Horny Goat Weed, Ecdysterone, Threonate, Gelatine in water:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=651289

#20 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

This looks like a money sink, eg, quoting the site: "Insurance will be verified prior to any office visit for coverage of office visits and x-rays ONLY. If Dr. Dunn is not a provider for your insurance or if no insurance, charges are as follows: First office visit: $160.00
Follow-up office visits: $85.00
X-Rays (this is an estimate only and may not be required at every visit): cost up to $120.00
IAGH injections COST $450.00 per injection (6 to 12 injections may be needed. Double dose injections for the hip cost $780.00 for each hip injection. No insurance plan will cover the cost of the iagh injections. "

Have you had any of this done, Platypus?

No, I'm not familiar the technique personally but as an alternative to hip-replacement surgery I believe it's still cheap. For the people who can avoid joint-replacement with it it's a miracle cure but for the people who it does nothing for it does get expensive. 

#21 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

get her some physical therapy. she should do stretches for the short hip adductors, long hip adductors, illiopsoas, piriformis. be sure she feels the stretch where she should. at least twice daily, hold for at least 2 minutes per muscle group, use breathing and sighing to relax the muscles. if they hurt beside standard stretch-pain, don't do them.

Edited by shp5, 10 June 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#22 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

shp5, I am troubled that you don't seem to have read this thread before you gave advice.   She was cured by rwac's advice to take gelatin because the problem was nutritional/cartilage related and may have had nothing to do with a lack of stretchability.  There are orthopedic problems besides stretchability or muscles.  Sometimes treating joint problems as muscle problems can do harm.  Cartilage pain and muscle pain can be impossible for the patient to tell apart on their own so they might take your advice but it might not work out well.

I do agree with stopping stretching if it hurts but sometime cartilage pain is delayed in onset.   

There's more to know than you know right now.

Edited by Luminosity, 10 June 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#23 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

luminosity, thank you, I didn't see this comment.

It is hard to do over the net diagnostics. however, based on my experiences, some things you can do are simple and very low risk. we already had a short exchange on this in your cartilage thread, I would be interested in which cases you found that physical therapy (or similar interventions) degraded joint pain, because you seem to be very cautious in these matters.

edit: yes, there is more to know. because of my work, I have a biomechanical/musculoskeletal approach to these things.  I am a firm believer in a multifactoral approach in treatment, and I recommend supplements for joint pain based on what is recommended here. however, leaving exercise out of the equation, as tends to happen often when people inquire about muscosceletal problems on this board, isn't wise either-.

luminosity, thank you, I didn't see this comment.

It is hard to do over the net diagnostics. however, based on my experiences, some things you can do are simple and very low risk. we already had a short exchange on this in your cartilage thread, I would be interested in which cases you found that physical therapy (or similar interventions) degraded joint pain, because you seem to be very cautious in these matters.

edit: yes, there is more to know. because of my work, I have a biomechanical/musculoskeletal backround with these things.  I am also a firm believer in a multifactoral approach in treatment, and I recommend supplements for joint pain based on what is recommended here. however, leaving exercise out of the equation, as tends to happen often when people inquire about muscosceletal problems on this board, isn't wise either.

Edited by shp5, 10 June 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#24 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

A tablespoon would be a decent place to start.

• like x 1

#25 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

I see that the original poster's situation has been alleviated, but I thought I'd add for the sake of completeness that Examine.com (who are pretty rigorous and conservative) state that rose hips, in fairly high quantities, can reduce the pain and inflammation of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

http://examine.com/s...ments/Rose Hip/

#26 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

A tablespoon would be a decent place to start.

I've been doing 1 tablespoon twice a day myself based on this study which used a 10 gram daily dosage:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18416885

Felt improved joint comfort after about 3 days.

Howard

Edited by hav, 14 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

• like x 1

#27 Andrey_81

• Topic Starter
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

My mom is taking this one made by Solgar: http://bit.ly/1pAlMZT

She takes as written on the bottle, 3 capsules daily and this is 1.680 mg 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

What are some of the best supplements of this type available? I mean there are different kinds of collagen, some act on cartilage, some on hair/skin/nails, and some on subcutaneous fat? Is there a product that has it all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users