* * * * * 3 votes

The Microbiome and Brain Enhancement

microbiome

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 lostfalco

• 1,686 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

I think it's fitting that we kick this topic off with the study that started it all by introducing the world to the concept of 'prebiotics'. =)

I've had excellent results so far with 4tbsp/day of Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch http://www.amazon.co...013JOKBC/ and I'd like to give huge props to Joe Cohen, Richard Nikoley, and Tim Steele for their contributions.

Joe: http://selfhacked.co...or-weight-loss/
Richard and Tim: http://freetheanimal...er-newbies.html

Mr. Heisenberg is also doing some excellent work on this subject:
http://mrheisenbug.w...brain-on-fiber/
http://mrheisenbug.w...nges-the-brain/

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7782892
J Nutr. 1995 Jun;125(6):1401-12.
Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota: introducing the concept of prebiotics.
Gibson GR, Roberfroid MB.
Author information
Abstract
Because the human gut microbiota can play a major role in host health, there is currently some interest in the manipulation of the composition of the gut flora towards a potentially more remedial community. Attempts have been made to increase bacterial groups such as Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus that are perceived as exerting health-promoting properties. Probiotics, defined as microbial food supplements that beneficially affect the host by improving its intestinal microbial balance, have been used to change the composition of colonic microbiota. However, such changes may be transient, and the implantation of exogenous bacteria therefore becomes limited. In contrast, prebiotics are nondigestible food ingredients that beneficially affect the host by selectively stimulating the growth and/or activity of one or a limited number of bacterial species already resident in the colon, and thus attempt to improve host health. Intake of prebiotics can significantly modulate the colonic microbiota by increasing the number of specific bacteria and thus changing the composition of the microbiota. Nondigestible oligosaccharides in general, and fructooligosaccharides in particular, are prebiotics. They have been shown to stimulate the growth of endogenous bifidobacteria, which, after a short feeding period, become predominant in human feces. Moreover, these prebiotics modulate lipid metabolism, most likely via fermentation products. By combining the rationale of pro- and prebiotics, the concept of synbiotics is proposed to characterize some colonic foods with interesting nutritional properties that make these compounds candidates for classification as health-enhancing functional food ingredients.

Here's a recent study on the role of prebiotics in upregulating BDNF, NMDA receptors, and D-serine in rats.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24140431
Neurochem Int. 2013 Dec;63(8):756-64. doi: 10.1016/j.neuint.2013.10.006. Epub 2013 Oct 16.
Prebiotic feeding elevates central brain derived neurotrophic factor, N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunits and D-serine.
Savignac HM, Corona G, Mills H, Chen L, Spencer JP, Tzortzis G, Burnet PW.
Author information
Abstract
The influence of the gut microbiota on brain chemistry has been convincingly demonstrated in rodents. In the absence of gut bacteria, the central expression of brain derived neurotropic factor, (BDNF), and N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) subunits are reduced, whereas, oral probiotics increase brain BDNF, and impart significant anxiolytic effects. We tested whether prebiotic compounds, which increase intrinsic enteric microbiota, also affected brain BDNF and NMDARs. In addition, we examined whether plasma from prebiotic treated rats released BDNF from human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells, to provide an initial indication of mechanism of action. Rats were gavaged with fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) or water for five weeks, prior to measurements of brain BDNF, NMDAR subunits and amino acids associated with glutamate neurotransmission (glutamate, glutamine, and serine and alanine enantiomers). Prebiotics increased hippocampal BDNF and NR1 subunit expression relative to controls. The intake of GOS also increased hippocampal NR2A subunits, and frontal cortex NR1 and d-serine. Prebiotics did not alter glutamate, glutamine, l-serine, l-alanine or d-alanine concentrations in the brain, though GOSfeeding raised plasma d-alanine. Elevated levels of plasma peptide YY (PYY) after GOS intake was observed. Plasma from GOS rats increased the release of BDNF from SH-SY5Y cells, but not in the presence of PYY antisera. The addition of synthetic PYY to SH-SY5Y cell cultures, also elevated BDNF secretion. We conclude that prebiotic-mediated proliferation of gut microbiota in rats, like probiotics, increases brain BDNF expression, possibly through the involvement of gut hormones. The effect of GOS on components of central NMDAR signalling was greater than FOS, and may reflect the proliferative potency of GOS on microbiota. Our data therefore, provide a sound basis to further investigate the utility of prebiotics in the maintenance of brain health and adjunctive treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders.

Here's a 6 minute TED talk that gives a very nice overview of the topic. Enjoy!

Edited by lostfalco, 01 February 2014 - 09:09 PM.

• like x 10

#2 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

For those looking to get their hands on GOS, it seems like this company is the only one that currently provides it in a commercial package: http://www.bimuno.com

They're UK-based, but I just had them deliver it to NYC. Have only been using it for 2 days, so I can't say how it compares to the Unmodified Potato Starch that I've been using for 3 months, but I do like two things: 1- it seems to withstand higher temperatures (potato starch turns into a solid gel if you put it into hot tea or coffee - GOS will too, but only at higher temperatures), and 2- they come in individual packets, making them convenient for on-the-go. I can't tell you how many times I looked like the Cocaine Bear after trying to pour some potato starch into my food or drink!

Posted Image
  • like x 4

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

Utterly fascinating. Cocoa also has beneficial effects on gut microbiota. It's usually part of my daily regime so I simply toss in around 2tbsp of potato starch. IIRC I came across this study on Reddit

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/21068351/

Prebiotic evaluation of cocoa-derived flavanols in healthy humans by using a randomized, controlled, double-blind, crossover intervention study.

AuthorsTzounis X, et al. Show all Journal
Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Jan;93(1):62-72. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.110.000075. Epub 2010 Nov 10.
Affiliation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: The absorption of cocoa flavanols in the small intestine is limited, and the majority of the flavanols reach the large intestine where they may be metabolized by resident microbiota.

OBJECTIVE: We assessed the prebiotic potential of cocoa flavanols in a randomized, double-blind, crossover, controlled intervention study.

DESIGN: Twenty-two healthy human volunteers were randomly assigned to either a high-cocoa flavanol (HCF) group (494 mg cocoa flavanols/d) or a low-cocoa flavanol (LCF) group (23 mg cocoa flavanols/d) for 4 wk. This was followed by a 4-wk washout period before volunteers crossed to the alternant arm. Fecal samples were recovered before and after each intervention, and bacterial numbers were measured by fluorescence in situ hybridization. A number of other biochemical and physiologic markers were measured.

RESULTS: Compared with the consumption of the LCF drink, the daily consumption of the HCF drink for 4 wk significantly increased the bifidobacterial (P < 0.01) and lactobacilli (P < 0.001) populations but significantly decreased clostridia counts (P < 0.001). These microbial changes were paralleled by significant reductions in plasma triacylglycerol (P < 0.05) and C-reactive protein (P < 0.05) concentrations. Furthermore, changes in C-reactive protein concentrations were linked to changes in lactobacilli counts (P < 0.05, R(2) = -0.33 for the model). These in vivo changes were closely paralleled by cocoa flavanol-induced bacterial changes in mixed-batch culture experiments.

CONCLUSION: This study shows, for the first time to our knowledge, that consumption of cocoa flavanols can significantly affect the growth of select gut microflora in humans, which suggests the potential prebiotic benefits associated with the dietary inclusion of flavanol-rich foods. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01091922.

http://www.frontiers...2013.00011/full

Food of the Gods indeed!

#4 Jochen

• 157 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

For those looking to get their hands on GOS, it seems like this company is the only one that currently provides it in a commercial package: http://www.bimuno.com

They're UK-based, but I just had them deliver it to NYC. Have only been using it for 2 days, so I can't say how it compares to the Unmodified Potato Starch that I've been using for 3 months, but I do like two things: 1- it seems to withstand higher temperatures (potato starch turns into a solid gel if you put it into hot tea or coffee - GOS will too, but only at higher temperatures), and 2- they come in individual packets, making them convenient for on-the-go. I can't tell you how many times I looked like the Cocaine Bear after trying to pour some potato starch into my food or drink!

Posted Image

Thanks for pointing this one out. I have just ordered it and will definitely be trying it out :-).

Your cocaine bear story made me laugh out loud. My pregnant wife takes Uridine and it's a running joke with us that "she has to take her cocaine".
One day, she took the UMP and I made her laugh, resulting in a big puff of white smoke coming out of her mouth. Still cracks me up when I think of it :-).

Luckily no one else was there to witness it

Edited by Jochen, 02 February 2014 - 01:17 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#5 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Sorry about all of the studies and abstracts. I'm still working my way through a lot of the info on the microbiome. I will hopefully be able to synthesize and summarize a little better soon. =)

This study adds dopamine, norepinephrine, nitric oxide, and GABA to our list (I previously mentioned serotonin). The whole thing is worth a read if you want to find out about the massive number of things that our gut and our gut biome produce for us. The list is crazy! Here's the free full text. http://joe.endocrino.../218/3/R37.long

"Microbially derived endocrine molecules

Endocrine molecules are not solely produced by the human body; gut microbes can also produce these molecules. It has been shown previously that there is a significant level of dopamine production in the human gut (Eisenhofer et al. 1997). The importance of the gut microbiota in the generation of this compound has been overlooked, and in a subsequent piece of work, it has been shown that the gut microbiota plays a critical role in the production of norepinephrine and dopamine in the gut (Asano et al. 2012). This production is due to the expression of β-glucuronidases by commensal gut bacteria, generating dopamine and norepinephrine through the cleavage of their inactive conjugated forms. Gut microbes can also produce non-noradrenergic, non-cholinergic transmitters such as nitric oxide, which plays a pivotal role in the regulation of gastric emptying (Orihata & Sarna 1994), through the anaerobic reduction of nitrate to nitrogen (Sobko et al. 2005, Cutruzzolà 2012). The inhibitory transmitter γ-aminobutyric acid can be generated by Lactobacillus brevis and Bifidobacterium dentium(Barrett et al. 2012); both of these organisms can be isolated from humans (Rönkäet al. 2003, Ventura et al. 2009). Studies such as these are highlighting the previously unrealised importance of our own gut microbiota in generating compounds that interact with our own endocrine system."

"Studies have shown that germ-free rats have depleted levels of tryptophan, but upon administration of certain bacteria, such as bifidobacterial species, tryptophan levels are increased (Desbonnet et al. 2008), thus suggesting that bacteria can alter the available serotonin pool and ultimately elicit communication between the gut and the brain."

Edited by lostfalco, 02 February 2014 - 08:45 PM.

• like x 3

#6 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Good stuff Lostfalco!
Are there any good pre/probiotic mixes out there worth a mention?

#7 dunbar

• 526 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

This stuff is really interesting but also scary cause I have depression and anxiety and I also
know that I have a gut dysbiosis. Now I don't know if this really is the reason for my issues
but I also don't know what to about it. It's like doctors don't take this very seriously.
My GP simply prescribed some probiotic pills and my gastrologist simply told me that stool tests for
bacteria are useless cause they don't really tell how the bacteria in the digestive system really are.
Great...

#8 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

My GP simply prescribed some probiotic pills and my gastrologist simply told me that stool tests for
bacteria are useless cause they don't really tell how the bacteria in the digestive system really are.

Your Gastroenterologist needs to be fired, then. That's kind of what they're supposed to do, intestines are 90% of their supposed domain.

Edited by Jeoshua, 03 February 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#9 dunbar

• 526 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

My gastro simply said that since I have no digesting issues like diarrhea and what not I don't have to do anything.
He said stool bacteria don't have much relevance for bacteria in the gut. He said it can both be totally different so basically
stool tests for dysbiosis are useless. He also said candida tests are totally useless.
Basically he was no help at all.

#10 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

There's this product, but it's pricey. http://www.seekinghe...ota-immune.html

How many grams of GOS are in each packet of the Bimuno product? I couldn't find any info on their site.

#11 Shay

• 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

Until preparing to comment here, I'de been having the hardest time determining the flavanol content of my Balinese Raw Cacao Nibs...

I use about 2 TB per day in my smoothie. I did just find this article stating that there are 10,000mg flavanol per 100 g raw cacao, but no source. If I'm doing my math right, 2TB equals about 2800mg flavanols.

Not bad!

Utterly fascinating. Cocoa also has beneficial effects on gut microbiota. It's usually part of my daily regime so I simply toss in around 2tbsp of potato starch. IIRC I came across this study on Reddit

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/21068351/

Prebiotic evaluation of cocoa-derived flavanols in healthy humans by using a randomized, controlled, double-blind, crossover intervention study.

AuthorsTzounis X, et al. Show all Journal
Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Jan;93(1):62-72. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.110.000075. Epub 2010 Nov 10.
Affiliation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: The absorption of cocoa flavanols in the small intestine is limited, and the majority of the flavanols reach the large intestine where they may be metabolized by resident microbiota.

OBJECTIVE: We assessed the prebiotic potential of cocoa flavanols in a randomized, double-blind, crossover, controlled intervention study.

DESIGN: Twenty-two healthy human volunteers were randomly assigned to either a high-cocoa flavanol (HCF) group (494 mg cocoa flavanols/d) or a low-cocoa flavanol (LCF) group (23 mg cocoa flavanols/d) for 4 wk. This was followed by a 4-wk washout period before volunteers crossed to the alternant arm. Fecal samples were recovered before and after each intervention, and bacterial numbers were measured by fluorescence in situ hybridization. A number of other biochemical and physiologic markers were measured.

RESULTS: Compared with the consumption of the LCF drink, the daily consumption of the HCF drink for 4 wk significantly increased the bifidobacterial (P < 0.01) and lactobacilli (P < 0.001) populations but significantly decreased clostridia counts (P < 0.001). These microbial changes were paralleled by significant reductions in plasma triacylglycerol (P < 0.05) and C-reactive protein (P < 0.05) concentrations. Furthermore, changes in C-reactive protein concentrations were linked to changes in lactobacilli counts (P < 0.05, R(2) = -0.33 for the model). These in vivo changes were closely paralleled by cocoa flavanol-induced bacterial changes in mixed-batch culture experiments.

CONCLUSION: This study shows, for the first time to our knowledge, that consumption of cocoa flavanols can significantly affect the growth of select gut microflora in humans, which suggests the potential prebiotic benefits associated with the dietary inclusion of flavanol-rich foods. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01091922.

http://www.frontiers...2013.00011/full

Food of the Gods indeed!

#12 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

Saw this very interesting study on ergo-log today -> a probiotic (a strain of lactobacillus reuteri) maintains youthful/healthy testosterone levels in elderly mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....s/PMC3879365/ (full text)

PLoS One. 2014 Jan 2;9(1):e84877. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0084877. eCollection 2014.

Probiotic microbes sustain youthful serum testosterone levels and testicular size in aging mice.

Poutahidis T1, Springer A2, Levkovich T3, Qi P3, Varian BJ3, Lakritz JR3, Ibrahim YM3, Chatzigiagkos A4, Alm EJ5, Erdman SE3.

Abstract

The decline of circulating testosterone levels in aging men is associated with adverse health effects. During studies of probiotic bacteria and obesity, we discovered that male mice routinely consuming purified lactic acid bacteria originally isolated from human milk had larger testicles and increased serum testosterone levels compared to their age-matched controls. Further investigation using microscopy-assisted histomorphometry of testicular tissue showed that mice consuming Lactobacillus reuteri in their drinking water had significantly increased seminiferous tubule cross-sectional profiles and increased spermatogenesis and Leydig cell numbers per testis when compared with matched diet counterparts. This showed that criteria of gonadal aging were reduced after routinely consuming a purified microbe such as L. reuteri. We tested whether these features typical of sustained reproductive fitness may be due to anti-inflammatory properties of L. reuteri, and found that testicular mass and other indicators typical of old age were similarly restored to youthful levels using systemic administration of antibodies blocking pro-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-17A. This indicated that uncontrolled host inflammatory responses contributed to the testicular atrophy phenotype in aged mice. Reduced circulating testosterone levels have been implicated in many adverse effects; dietary L. reuteri or other probiotic supplementation may provide a viable natural approach to prevention of male hypogonadism, absent the controversy and side-effects of traditional therapies, and yield practical options for management of disorders typically associated with normal aging. These novel findings suggest a potential high impact for microbe therapy in public health by imparting hormonal and gonad features of reproductive fitness typical of much younger healthy individuals.

PMID: 24392159 [PubMed - in process] PMCID: PMC3879365 Free PMC Article

Ergo-log - article & striking pics:

http://www.ergo-log....-synthesis.html

Attached Files

Edited by blood, 04 February 2014 - 05:25 AM.

• like x 3

#13 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

How many grams of GOS are in each packet of the Bimuno product? I couldn't find any info on their site.

Bimuno contains 5.5g in each packet of which 2.75g is GOS. Keep in mind that Bimuno's GOS is different from any other GOS, like Vivinal GOS.

#14 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Saw this very interesting study on ergo-log today -> a probiotic (a strain of lactobacillus reuteri) maintains youthful/healthy testosterone levels in elderly mice:

This strain of Lactobacillus reuteri will be featured in Biogaia's Gastrus, along with DSM 17938.
  • like x 2

#15 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

This strain of Lactobacillus reuteri will be featured in Biogaia's Gastrus, along with DSM 17938.

very nice! more from the research, their conclusion:

"Probiotic organisms may offer practical options for management of disorders frequently associated with normal aging", the researchers conclude. "Reduced circulating testosterone levels have been implicated in many adverse effects including reduced spermatogenesis, libido and sexual function, increased body fat, decreased muscle and bone mass, low energy levels, fatigue, poor physical performance, depressed mood, and impaired cognitive dysfunction. Ultimately, dietary Lactobacillus reuteri or other probiotic supplementation may provide an alternative natural approach to prevention of male hypogonadism, absent the controversy and side-effect risks of testosterone replacement therapy.

Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 6475 seems very legit!

Edited by izan82, 04 February 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#16 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

I just started on this, today is my third day. I can't say for sure what positive effects it has, I have noticed the flatulence they spoke of. It started on the second day. I find myself eating less, I'm not sure if that is supposed to be one of the effects or not. I got interested because of the overall health and cognitive benefits reputed to it and perhaps above all, because its supposed to help with sleep quality. That is something I have struggled with for years. I will report back after I've given it a good test, like in a few weeks.

BTW, I didn't have to order it, I found Bob's red mill potato starch in the grocery store. It was in the baking section along with some specialized grains. Cost me a whopping $4.91, if I recall correctly for 24 oz. Ordering it online meant paying a higher price and having to pay shipping. Swansons has it for $3.50 and free shipping on a $50 order, or whatever their current deal is.

I'm excited, this sounds like a hidden gem that was overlooked for many years because it was such a common substance.

#17 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Bimuno contains 5.5g in each packet of which 2.75g is GOS. Keep in mind that Bimuno's GOS is different from any other GOS, like Vivinal GOS.

Thanks, do you know what the other 2.75g consists of?

Edited by APBT, 04 February 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#18 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

There are these returi products http://www.swansonvi...om/q?kw=reuteri
  • Informative x 1

#19 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Thanks, do you know what the other 2.75g consists of?

Lactose, glucose syrup, gum arabic, galactose and trisodium citrate.

#20 swen

• 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

https://soundcloud.c...-robbwolf-final

John Kiefer, Dr Rocky Patel and Robb Wolf discussing resistant starch.

#21 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I have wanted to read this book for years for my "general education" health planning.

http://www.amazon.co...=gut psychology

It seems should have been a priority as I have some of the physical symptoms of gut dysbiosis, together with low level depression, anxiety and brain fog the last few years. The book above considered a classic, but I was wondering if there is any other comprehensive "program" or good tips anyone has to share for increasing gut microbiota health?

I have not looked into any research, just common logic, but I was wondering if we could make a prebiotic drink add the contents of a probiotic multistrain capsule from a supplement and let it ferment to increase potency? What do you think, has anyone tried it this? I thought about this when I read an article from Mercola that a cup from a cultured food would have the same number of probiotic bacteria as a whole bottle of any store bought supplement...

In this case kefir, combucha, sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, yogurt, what else??

Also what are the most wortwhile prebiotics to get?

Any ideas for gut dysbiosis and biofilm formation from unwanted bacteria?

#22 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Here's the free full text article discussing the microbiome as an epigenetic entity. Have fun! =)

http://pdfcast.org/p...n-with-bacteria

#23 DamnedOwl

• 120 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks, Mr. ... er... Jones!

#24 celebes

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Red wine, blueberries + green tea: http://ajcn.nutritio.../95/6/1323.full

Influence of red wine polyphenols and ethanol on the gut microbiota ecology and biochemical biomarkers

Edited by celebes, 12 February 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#25 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

How good a source for probiotics are pickles? I like Bubbies brand pickles because they taste good, however there is sugar added. Would the presence of sugar affect the probiotic activity? I eat a few forkfuls of Eden's Organic brand sauerkraut, but can't stand the taste.

#26 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

This is not specific for brain enhancement, and I cannot really say if it works for increasing good gut bacteria, but what I am doing for the last week is add a full tablespoon of raw honey in a liter of milk, add 3 capsules of this multistrain supplement http://www.amazon.co...foods probiotic

and let it ferment for a couple of days in room temperature, for couple days the taste is ok, but in the third can get very sour, I do not really have a clue what might happening to the mixture with the probiotics from the supplement and other naturaly occuring microbes, any ideas when its best to drink the cultured milk? I should read a book for fermenting foods to get a better grasp of it, but I do not have time, any ideas? If it works, the way I hope so, can be healthy and cost effective.

#27 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

So you all have higher powered brains at the expense of constant extreme flatulence?
  • like x 2

#28 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

So you all have higher powered brains at the expense of constant extreme flatulence?

haha Unfortunately, I do. I'm not gonna lie...it's pretty bad. Most of the people over at freetheanimal.com have indicated that it subsides a bit over time and that you can eliminate it by taking 3 days off. Probably gonna try that soon.

Speaking of free the animal...here are Tim Steele's American Gut Project results after 10 months on resistant starch. Very interesting read. He has 11x the average Bifidobacteria fecal count. http://freetheanimal...comparison.html

#29 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

Any thoughts on this article that good old fashioned orange juice (!) reduced lipopolysaccharide (LPS) endotoxin and inflammation when given with a high fat, high carb meal? Reducing LPS is good for the gut microbiome: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20200256. Now I'm not sure whether I should start drinking OJ again!

Also, I read this interesting paper where the author states that acellular carbohydrates (grains, sugar, flours) are the cause of obesity because of said items' ability to increase LPS:
https://www.dovepres...hp?fileID=13214. He says that consuming cellular carbohydrates, i.e., carbs that retain their cell walls (tubers, leafy greens, veggies, fruits) are fine ad libitum. This is his way of explaining the Kitavan paradox. All cellular carbs are good for the gut microbiome in his view. White rice, however, is not ok in his world because its a grain, which contradicts what Jaminet and others say it being a clean carb.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 swen

• 67 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

haha Unfortunately, I do. I'm not gonna lie...it's pretty bad. Most of the people over at freetheanimal.com have indicated that it subsides a bit over time and that you can eliminate it by taking 3 days off. Probably gonna try that soon.

Speaking of free the animal...here are Tim Steele's American Gut Project results after 10 months on resistant starch. Very interesting read. He has 11x the average Bifidobacteria fecal count. http://freetheanimal...comparison.html

Strangely enough I have just a little bit flatulence. Almost to zero. While I'm at 6-8 tablespoons a day. Does flatulence indicate something?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microbiome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users