Serotonin Receptor Damage Post MDMA Use. Please Help

mdma extacy depression serotonin receptors downregulation

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Charlotte8

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hi everyone, I am suffering badly (and I mean badly) from serotonin receptor downregulation/damage after taking MDMA pills - possibly with speed in as well.
I am here to try to find a solution as it has been 5 years now since I've been clean and I am still seriously depressed.

I used MDMA heavily for 9 months.
Before taking MDMA I was a highly productive person, after the 9 months I became extremely depressed. I now find it an immense effort to cook for myself. I cannot enjoy anything and to be honest every second I am awake I am in hell.

Each time I took MDMA I would get more depressed.

What I have tried:
Going to doctors. The doctors I have seen know nothing about serotonin receptor downregulation. Here in the UK we have a national health service (kind of like Obamacare) so I only have access to state doctors who know nothing about this condition.

I have tried taking both zoloft and tianeptine after hearing that they could help upregulate serotonin receptors. Tianeptine made me a lot worse so I discontinued, zoloft made me feel slightly better but when I stopped taking it (after 3 years) I went back to the way I was before - so it obviously only temporarily masked the problem and did not cause any noticeable up-regulation.

I have tried exercise, sunlight and a healthy diet.

Since it has been 5 years it is obviously not going to get better on it’s own, so I am desperately looking for something to repair my serotonin system.

After seeing this study http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8131066 I am currently trying inositol (B vitamin 8) which can allegedly up-regulate serotonin receptors, but I am just guessing the dose as I have not been able to to find a reference for the appropriate dose because I don't have PUBMED access and I can only see the abstract (which doesn't list the dose used.)

Does anyone know what dose was used in the study?

I have heard curcumin causes BDNF levels to spike - would this help me? I remember reading that the receptors grow back but they grown back with skewed axons or dendrites so they don't work properly - would BDNF help this?

Does anyone know anything that could help my serotonin receptors go back to the way they were before?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I am really suffering badly every day with this.

#2 Lobotomy

• 110 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

Well, to start with, I would certainly stop using MDMA or any heavy stimulants for a long time. This could take nearly a decade to fix if at all.

What were you thinking, nine months of heavy use? I tried MDMA once and told myself afterward that I would not try it again any sooner than three months after my previous dosage (I still have yet to). Shit's neurotoxic, be careful.

As for the Serotonin Receptor Upregulation, I would advise instead to attempt an increase your receptor volume rather than upregulate them in their current state.

Do you take any other drugs that interact with the serotonin system, SSRIs, SNRIs, etc?

Do you smoke cigarettes? I hear that increases serotonin receptor density.

Have you taken Noopept, Piracetam, Oxiracetam, Pramiracetam, or Coluracetam?

Noopept upregulates BDNF, Coluracetam is a High Affinity Choline Uptake enhancer and Oxi/Pramiracetam have personally helped with my mood and motivation.
Try a combination of Rhodiola Rosea and Bacopa Monnieri for a few months, (they will take this long to have any effect) and do some personal experimentation with the drugs listed above. NSI-189 regrows your hippocampus, which may help as depression atrophies that part of your brain, but you will have to participate in a group buy, as it is not easily or widely synthesized.

Edited by Lobotomy, 14 March 2014 - 12:05 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

I second bacopa! It is very serotonergic for me. And it seems to repair serotonin receptor levels only in those with damage ot dysregulation to said system.

Do you have any other prevalent symptoms? Ataxia, brain fog, akathisia, OCD-like symptoms, or anything?

#4 Lobotomy

• 110 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

I would also try ALCAR, it appears to have serotogenic effects as well as physical: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22549035

#5 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

St. John's Wort upregulates serotonin receptors and is anti-depressive.

#6 Camel

• 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Go to Imperial College of Londond and talk with someone who knows :)

heavy use of mdma means absolutely nothing because: how many mg? if so how do you know? did you use a scale? how often? with what other substances? and more important, how do you know it was mdma? did you taste it? if so, all the times? with what? did you use the testing kit? which one? etc etc

regarding the supplements: there are several things you could get i guess in order to help (piracetam, sublitamine, 5htp and many others i guess, but if i were you i would go and talk with some neuro doctor.. health care service in UK is rubbish. its the worst service I've ever seen in my life. the Gps know very little.

#7 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Also, ubiquinol or CoQ10 and melatonin are MUST HAVES for MDMA induced damage... IIRC several studies have implicated them in restoring normal neuronal and mitochondrial function specifically in MDMA/meth damage.
  • like x 1

#8 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Also, ubiquinol or CoQ10 and melatonin are MUST HAVES for MDMA induced damage... IIRC several studies have implicated them in restoring normal neuronal and mitochondrial function specifically in MDMA/meth damage.

Retroactively or during? (restorative or preventative?)

#9 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Melatonin is restorative and preventative within the 6-hydroxydopamine model of dopaminergic reactive oxygen species damage, which is "pretty much" the current theory of MDMA neurotoxicity.

Melatonin:
  • Melatonin protects against 6-OHDA-induced neurotoxicity in rats
    http://www.fasebj.or.../15/1/164.short
  • Melatonin increases striatal dopaminergic function in 6‐OHDA‐lesioned rats
    http://journals.lww....unction.22.aspx
  • Melatonin reverses neurochemical alterations induced by 6-OHDA in rat striatum
    http://www.sciencedi...024320501014801
  • [Wait.. this study (below) says melatonin antagonism helps 6-ohda damage retroactively... What the heck.. I didn't see this one last time I was researching this. Maybe chronic melatonin helps retroactively due to tolerance, resulting in the same acute effects these two melatonin antagonists have? Wow. So confuse. Much weird.]
    Recovery of experimental Parkinson's disease with the melatonin analogues ML-23 and S-20928 in a chronic, bilateral 6-OHDA model: a new mechanism involving antagonism of the melatonin receptor
    http://www.sciencedi...009130570400267
  • Check out the other studies yourself; http://scholar.googl...elatonin 6-ohda
Ubuquinol/CoQ10 is preventative and restorative in the related MPTP model of dopaminergic damageI am having a hard time finding the original study that made them sound so appealing, but basically ubiquinol/CoQ10 are really important (read: essential) in the mitochondrial synthesis of energy, the process of which can be heavily damaged by MDMA or methamp.

See: (Full PDF on mechanism of substituted amphetamine neurotoxicity; Great read!) http://download.spri...727d72&ext=.pdf
  • Among other causes, oxidative stress, excitotoxicity and mitochondrial dysfunction appear to play a major role in the neurotoxicity produced by the substituted amphetamines.
  • [M]ore recent evidence suggests an important role of the mitochondrial electron transport chain (ETC) in mediating the toxiceffects of substituted amphetamines....
  • [S]ubstrates of energy metabolism could attenuate METH and MDMA toxicity. [CoQ10/ubiquinol?]
  • [Damage was] significantly attenuated by intrastri-atal infusions of decylubiquinone[.]
  • ##The above study also mentions nicotinamide in proper mitochrondrial function.
  • [Another study:]Rapid and transient inhibition of mitochondrial function following methamphetamine or 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine administration
    http://www.sciencedi...014299900002648
There is a lot more research to be done, so this is all rather inconclusive, but nonetheless I am confident in the helpful effects of melatonin and ubiquinol/CoQ10. Bacopa is a great choice in restoring/regrowing serotonergic projections/axons

The skeleton of an MDMA recovery stack could be something like:
  • Nicotinamide
  • Ubiquinol
  • Melatonin
  • Bacopa
Possibly augmented with
  • Inositol
  • 5-HTP
  • [Acetyl]carnosine
  • Fish oil, uridine, alpha-GPC, vitamin C, and other randoms with unknown effectiveness :|?
Of course everything needs to be adjusted to your symptoms.. Mine were mainly caused by rhabdomyolisis and included ataxia and muscle soreness, thus my personal focus on mitochondria.

:) Good luck, OP! I know how fucked it is to be in such a situation :wacko:

Edited by katuskoti, 15 March 2014 - 02:02 AM.

• like x 1

#10 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Receptors are constantly regenerated so I doubt you damaged the receptor. Something else could have been damaged.
  • like x 1

#11 Charlotte8

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

Hi, thank you to everyone who has replied so far – it means a lot to me.

I am extremely confused because my knowledge of neurochemistry is not as high as some of the people I have seen posting on this thread. I think I should first get clear in my mind what the actual problem is.

As I see it the 3 possible scenarios are:

1) Receptor downregulation – ie I still have the same number of receptor, they are just not as sensitive. (In this case why have they not upregulated themselves seeing as it has been 5 years. I thought the whole upregulation/downregulation system was there to attain homeostasis. Is it possible for receptors to be downregulated and stay ‘stuck there’? )

2) Serotonin receptors have been destroyed – leaving me with less. No regrowth has occurred.

3) Serotonin receptors have been destroyed and in 5 years my body would have regrown them but now the axons/dendrites are skewed (beaten up and bent) and don’t work properly.

Which of these 3 scenarios do you think is most likely?

Well, to start with, I would certainly stop using MDMA or any heavy stimulants for a long time. This could take nearly a decade to fix if at all.

What were you thinking, nine months of heavy use? I tried MDMA once and told myself afterward that I would not try it again any sooner than three months after my previous dosage (I still have yet to). Shit's neurotoxic, be careful.

As for the Serotonin Receptor Upregulation, I would advise instead to attempt an increase your receptor volume rather than upregulate them in their current state.

Do you take any other drugs that interact with the serotonin system, SSRIs, SNRIs, etc?

Do you smoke cigarettes? I hear that increases serotonin receptor density.

Have you taken Noopept, Piracetam, Oxiracetam, Pramiracetam, or Coluracetam?

Noopept upregulates BDNF, Coluracetam is a High Affinity Choline Uptake enhancer and Oxi/Pramiracetam have personally helped with my mood and motivation.
Try a combination of Rhodiola Rosea and Bacopa Monnieri for a few months, (they will take this long to have any effect) and do some personal experimentation with the drugs listed above. NSI-189 regrows your hippocampus, which may help as depression atrophies that part of your brain, but you will have to participate in a group buy, as it is not easily or widely synthesized.

I was only 18, young and stupid. I was also using it to 'run away' from something very distressing that was going on in my life at the time. If I could change it I would. I have been completely clean of all drugs for 5 years.
"As for the Serotonin Receptor Upregulation, I would advise instead to attempt an increase your receptor volume rather than upregulate them in their current state." - That's interesting, so you think that the problem is not enough receptors as opposed to I have enough receptors they are just down regulated? What leads you to say that? (I am very interested).
I have been on Sertraline (an SSRI) for 4 years (I was told it may upregulate my receptors). I recently stopped because I had been on it for 4 years and it has not significantly helped. Now I am off it I am free to try other things. (which I would not have been able to before.)

I used to smoke but quit recently, so yes for 5 years I would have been having nicotine and it hasn't helped.

For about 6 weeks I tried Piracetam with choline. It didn't help my depression at all (But it gave me amazingly vivid dreams - so I know it built up in my system to a decent level).
Of the 3 scenarios I listed at the start of my post - which one would be helped by increasing BDNF? Ie is there any scenario where I could increase BDNF and it would not help? What if they have already grown back 'skewed', so there's nothing for the BDNF to regrow?

I second bacopa! It is very serotonergic for me. And it seems to repair serotonin receptor levels only in those with damage ot dysregulation to said system.

Do you have any other prevalent symptoms? Ataxia, brain fog, akathisia, OCD-like symptoms, or anything?

Thank you - I have heard good things about Bacopa before. When you say it repairs receptor levels, I assume this means the amount of receptors (rather then the sensitivity of them)? Do you have any links to any studies I could read?

I have brain fog and now have a really short attention span. My main symptom is not being able to feel happy and have any motivation to do anything. I think that the depression in a way causes the brain fog/concentration issue, because it is so much effort to do anything feeling like this, even concentrate.

I am reading through the list of studies you posted (it might take me a few days to understand them because of the state I am in at the moment).
Thank you for taking the time to source them for me. While I am still trying to get my head around the studies may I ask which of the 3 scenarios I posted at the start of this post would be helped by Melatonin and Ubuquinol/CoQ10?

#12 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

I think I read somewhere that MDMA destroys serotonergic neurons, by itself or it's metabolites entering the cell instead of serotonin, and by being much more neurotoxic, therefore destroys them. This is probably not its only neurotoxic mechanism though.
Memory serves me right: http://www.thelancet...0066-X/fulltext

This could mean that your damage is permanent(as in until gene therapy enables you to grow new ones), but you *should* be able to get back to normal by supplementing enough serotonin (i.e. 5-htp, an ssri is not the best choice because your brain would, in this case, probably not be able to produce enough serotonin for an ssri to have an effect).

Anyways, I never took MDMA nor do I plan to so my research in that area is fairly limited. However, you should be able to get a good picture about MDMA's way it is neurotoxic from this pdf:
http://www.adhs-stud...-_an_update.pdf
It's a farily recent review from 2012.

#13 Lobotomy

• 110 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

"As for the Serotonin Receptor Upregulation, I would advise instead to attempt an increase your receptor volume rather than upregulate them in their current state." - That's interesting, so you think that the problem is not enough receptors as opposed to I have enough receptors they are just down regulated? What leads you to say that? (I am very interested).

It's just a hunch based on the mechanism of action for MDMA. It's a drug whose sole purpose is to dump ALL of your serotonin reserves at once. Something like that HAS to damage the receptors in some way. Try upregulation AND receptor density increasing at the same time.

Of the 3 scenarios I listed at the start of my post - which one would be helped by increasing BDNF? Ie is there any scenario where I could increase BDNF and it would not help? What if they have already grown back 'skewed', so there's nothing for the BDNF to regrow?

Impossible to know for sure, but neural regeneration takes a long time, so you probably haven't fully recovered. Couple that with the fact that you're ~23 and now technically starting to die from aging, so BDNF certainly can't harm you in your situation. It also repairs and protects existing cells, so there's that. There is no clear solution to your problem, the best advice I can give is to try everything, but not all at once.

Edited by Lobotomy, 18 March 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#14 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Bdnf would help any situation..... I'm failing to understand how a receptor can be damaged when they are constantly regenerated. Lol

#15 Dazzcat

• 91 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

Melatonin is restorative and preventative within the 6-hydroxydopamine model of dopaminergic reactive oxygen species damage, which is "pretty much" the current theory of MDMA neurotoxicity.

I believe this dopamine hypothesis for the primary mechanism of MDMA neurotoxicity is not well supported by research, instead it appears the chemical responsible is a secondary metabolite of MDMA, likely through the reaction of alpha-methyldopamine (also a mdma metabolite) and glutathione, which further breaks down inside the axons into pro-oxidants. From what i understand, excessive dopamine still plays a significant role by promoting hyperthermia, a key factor with MDMA neurotoxicity, at least in rat studies.

Bdnf would help any situation..... I'm failing to understand how a receptor can be damaged when they are constantly regenerated. Lol

The axons are damaged or die back, with no axons there is is no lipid bilayer for the receptors to regenerate into. I've read research suggesting that the axons may grow back, but there is no guarantee they will form appropriately to reestablish healthy connections. But I do agree that using a compound that would help stimulate synapgenesis could be beneficial, given that this route of therapy has been postulated to treat depression/PTSD.

To the OP, i suggest not to get too caught up in what mdma abuse may or may not of done, there are many confounding factors at play and it can be difficult to be sure that mdma was solely to blame. Have you tried cognitive behavior therapy? Perhaps mdma uncovered some complex issues that need to be addressed first before relying solely on pharmacological intervention.

Edited by Dazzcat, 18 March 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#16 Puppeteer

• 127 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Used MDMA twice over a year and a half ago and the post-roll depression and anxiety have still barely lifted. I believe the reason I suffered so dearly from such minimal use is because I'd already compromised the relevant cells/receptors with prior psychedelic use. I'm concerned I may have exacerbated the damage done afterward through experimenting with speed (very minimally) and Ritalin in an attempt to overcome the intellectual deficiencies I was experiencing. I believe I might've also used 2CB, MXE, and 25-I-NBOMe in the months afterward as well (needless to say I was friends with some very irresponsible and reckless people at the time).

As such this topic is of considerable interest to me; regaining some sort of quality of life would be amazing. I should hopefully be going full on with a neurogenesis stack in the near future including the uridine stack and NSI-189, as well as trying out 7,8-DHF, but any other insights into the possible neurobiological causes and solutions would naturally be awesome.

Bump!

#17 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

MDMA is almost certainly neurotoxic to serotonin NEURONS(not just receptors). Although much less so, if at all, to dopamine neurons.
I'm not sure if there is anything shown to help regenerate serotonin neurons, nothing really comes to mind. Seems like your best bet is to eat healthy, be physically active, and force yourself to be mentally/socially active. This way your brain has the opportunity for neuroplasticity to rewire existing neurons which IMO seems like your best bet rather than attempting to produce new neurons. I wish you the best, everyone makes mistakes.

#18 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Used MDMA twice over a year and a half ago and the post-roll depression and anxiety have still barely lifted. I believe the reason I suffered so dearly from such minimal use is because I'd already compromised the relevant cells/receptors with prior psychedelic use. I'm concerned I may have exacerbated the damage done afterward through experimenting with speed (very minimally) and Ritalin in an attempt to overcome the intellectual deficiencies I was experiencing. I believe I might've also used 2CB, MXE, and 25-I-NBOMe in the months afterward as well (needless to say I was friends with some very irresponsible and reckless people at the time).

As such this topic is of considerable interest to me; regaining some sort of quality of life would be amazing. I should hopefully be going full on with a neurogenesis stack in the near future including the uridine stack and NSI-189, as well as trying out 7,8-DHF, but any other insights into the possible neurobiological causes and solutions would naturally be awesome.

Bump!

What psychedelics? I have done many many psychedelics even at very high doses, they are not shown to "compromise" the brain. Ritalin is also not neurotoxic, at least not relevantly neurotoxic. Speed/amphetamine is not good, but unless you were severely abusing it the neurotoxicity is relatively low. Doing MDMA twice is probably the worst you've done, yet even that unless the dosages were completely ridiculous seems very unlikely to have noticeable lasting effects? Tons of people have done everything you listed and are fine. You could be an exception, maybe your brain takes damage much easier, but compared to people who complain about negative lasting effects your drug use is very very mild. This is meant to be comforting, I'm not arguing, just saying you may not have damaged your brain nearly as much as you think. Depression/anxiety doesn't require neurotoxicity or brain damage.

#19 Charlotte8

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hi everyone thought I would give an update.

After much searching I managed to find a researcher who is an expert on MDMA. It appears that it is not the receptors that are damaged – it is in the fact the ‘5HT- pre-synaptic nerve endings’. In doing my own research I have identified this as being the ‘sending’ part of the neuron that is damaged as opposed to the ‘receiving’ part (receptors.)

The receptors would have been downregulated – but over the weeks and months after stopping they would have readjusted themselves. Since it has been 6 years I think we can rule this out.

When I asked him to go into more detail about what specific micro-structure in the nerve ending was damaged he said “I am not a histologist so have no idea other than loss of 5-HT storage organs and some evidence of loss of 5-HT transporters so the actual physical integrity appears damaged”.

So basically this is no longer a question of receptors being unregulated or downregulated – but a case of physical structural damage.

I am now concentrating on finding something to fix brain damage – Cerebrolysin looks very promising.

NSI-189 made me a little better - but I don't think NSI189 will be the thing that cures me (everyone that has depression will have some slight hippocampal atrophy and I believe it is that that is has fixed - not the extensive damage caused by the MDMA.)

Thank you to everyone that has replied - it means a lot that I am not alone.

#20 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Never understood the allure of something that could put holes in your brain. Call me old school
  • dislike x 4
  • Unfriendly x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#21 Charlotte8

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Are you referring to the MDMA, or one of the possible fixes that I mentioned? I assume you are talking about MDMA?

#22 Puppeteer

• 127 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

Never understood the allure of something that could put holes in your brain. Call me old school

What a profoundly helpful and empathetic contribution, because of course everybody who uses MDMA approaches it thinking "yeah, time to cause myself some brain damage! Awesome!" /s

Charlotte, I'm glad to hear of your positive progress. I have also come to the conclusion that the neurogenesis route is probably the most likely to be of benefit in my situation as well, though my situation also likely involves damage caused by an improperly diagnosed/treated concussion.

Just wanted to mention a few things it might be worth looking into in addition to cerebrolysin (many of which you're probably already familiar with): 7,8-dihdroxyflavone, dihexa, and particularly SEMAX are high up on my list.

Best of luck!

• like x 1

#23 Charlotte8

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

Hi Puppeteer,

Nice to know there are still some people with empathy in this world.

Sorry to hear of your situation - may I ask if you have tried any of the substances you mentioned?

I am planning to try Cerebrolysin first and then the others you mentioned (since judging by the user accounts I think Cere has the best chance of working). Thank you for posting the list - I had not heard of SEMAX and will add that to my list.

Best of luck and I hope you find something that resolves your problem.

#24 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

This may seem unorthodox, but I think iboga may help.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#25 Puppeteer

• 127 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

I haven't tried any of the substances yet, no, just done a lot of research. I should have clarified that in the original post, sorry! I have dabbled with NSI-189 here and there and will hopefully be beginning a proper 4+ week trial in the near future; your experience, though nothing groundbreaking, gives me further hope for that. If all goes to plan I will have also tried 7,8-DHF and Semax before the year is out (where did 2014/even go!?).

Thanks for the well wishes. Keep us posted on your experience with Cerebrolysin, I really hope it helps you get to where you want to be.

#26 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

I cannot find the edit function so I will reply to my originally suggestion:

This may seem unorthodox, but I think iboga may help.

I should have mentioned this before, but my suggestion - should you or anyone explore this route - definitely includes to only do this with a reputable professional/provider who also considers you a good candidate. 

#27 Charlotte8

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Csrpj - thank you for you suggestion.

Because of my experience I am understandably wary of psychoactive drugs, iboga is something I would only try after I have exhausted every other possible avenue. Thank you for your suggestion though.

#28 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

There are several things you should consider....

Receptor down regulation does not = receptor damage. who ever said that is a idiot.

MDMA it self has no toxicity at normal doses, but what is toxic is its MDA metabolite due to metabolism. therefore it has the potential to cause oxidative stress.

What you can do is take Agomelatine routinely, and Noopept. Tianeptine also restores post synaptic receptor sensitivity; and Agmatine or memantine can restore receptor sensitivity and density

if repair is what you are concerned about then dont waste your money on all these exotic supplements. Take good antioxidants, like Vitamin C, Gamma-tocopherol, Alpha-Lipoic Acid (these 3 time release), BioPQQ, Ubiquinol......

You can also potentially undertake a Ketogenic diet. ketones are extremely neuroprotectant. under ketosis your brain uses ketones as a substrate for energy, glycolysis is significantly reduced. therefore significant decreases in oxidation due to glucose metabolism. ketosis also increases endogenous glutathione production. remember the brain uses 20% of the bodies entire metabolism, therefore it is always in oxidative damage/repair. we need to get 'damage' out of that and the only way is through a ketogenic diet.

take these steps and you'll be back to normal 

Edited by Advanc3d, 13 August 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#29 Charlotte8

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Receptor down regulation does not = receptor damage. who ever said that is a idiot.

MDMA it self has no toxicity at normal doses, but what is toxic is its MDA metabolite due to metabolism. therefore it has the potential to cause oxidative stress.

What you can do is take Agomelatine routinely, and Noopept. Tianeptine also restores post synaptic receptor sensitivity; and Agmatine or memantine can restore receptor sensitivity and density

if repair is what you are concerned about then dont waste your money on all these exotic supplements. Take good antioxidants, like Vitamin C, Gamma-tocopherol, Alpha-Lipoic Acid (these 3 time release), BioPQQ, Ubiquinol......

You can also potentially undertake a Ketogenic diet. ketones are extremely neuroprotectant. under ketosis your brain uses ketones as a substrate for energy, glycolysis is significantly reduced. therefore significant decreases in oxidation due to glucose metabolism. ketosis also increases endogenous glutathione production. remember the brain uses 20% of the bodies entire metabolism, therefore it is always in oxidative damage/repair. we need to get 'damage' out of that and the only way is through a ketogenic diet.

Hi Advanc3d, 

I have emailed several professors on the topic and they said that what I am suffering with can no longer be because of receptor downregulation - due to the length of time it has been.

They said the receptors would have been downregulated - but they would have upregulated themselves over weeks or months. I have been like this 6 years. I was hoping and praying it was downregulation - but it appears it can't be and it is actual damage. :(

I have been told my an expert on MDMA that it is the 5-htp nerve endings (presynaptic) that are damaged - not the receptors. 

Ketogenic diets are awesome - I already try to follow the 'Bulletproof Diet' by Dave Asprey. Thank you for your comment though - I was not aware of how it benefited then brain in this way.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hi Advanc3d, 

I have emailed several professors on the topic and they said that what I am suffering with can no longer be because of receptor downregulation - due to the length of time it has been.

They said the receptors would have been downregulated - but they would have upregulated themselves over weeks or months. I have been like this 6 years. I was hoping and praying it was downregulation - but it appears it can't be and it is actual damage. :(

I have been told my an expert on MDMA that it is the 5-htp nerve endings (presynaptic) that are damaged - not the receptors. 

Ketogenic diets are awesome - I already try to follow the 'Bulletproof Diet' by Dave Asprey. Thank you for your comment though - I was not aware of how it benefited then brain in this way.

There is no "damage", you are being misinformed. and if there was, the body contains an infinite mechanisms of counter regulatory measures, whether it be pre-synaptic or post synaptic, they can self regulate and increase or decrease output to compensate considering every neurotransmitter sets have autoreceptors and inhibitory and excitatory roles. also take note that users of heavy methampethamine usage got 90-98% regeneration of nerve conductivity (either from higher output due to compensation or from more being produced via growth factors) after 18months of abstinence. 

there is no 'evidence' of 5-htp nerve ending damage from MDMA in humans (but rather from its metabolite MDA, which can be reduced by taking enzyme inhibitors). possibly with rats and monkeys but they use doses surpassing possible doses used in humans to prove a concept. rats have metabolites of MDMA that do not exist in humans. most of the rat studies are MDMA injection in to the brain as well.

other scenario is, you have had bad batches of proposed MDMA that contained highly neurotoxic byproducts that weren't washed out when it was made.

Edited by Advanc3d, 14 August 2014 - 12:06 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mdma, extacy, depression, serotonin, receptors, downregulation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users