- - - - -

Getting decent scales, 0.01 and 500g?

scales supplements

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

It seems scales that genuinely have both a 0.01 precision and 500g max load are hard to find, if they exist at all.

I'm now the proud owner of two dubious scales. The ones I received today were a beauty, until I tried setting them on a flat surface and they wobbled. After correcting for that, I found some perculiar tendancies for the figures to jump. For instance I doled out a gram of powder, and then sat and watched-- the figures slowly creeped down to about .8 gram and then I turned it off in disgust.

Another thing that I always assumed was normal was that the last three or more scales didn't tend to register any weight until 0.04g. Is this normal?

I'm wondering if these are knock-offs that were meant as shells for much larger scales but have been hacked to display an extra decimal point, or to tolerate a higher load than what they were intended for?

All I know is I'm tired of blowing my money on them. I've been afraid of what I might have to pay for a tried and true brand but I'm not saving money this way either. Anyone know of a good model to try for? I need a max load that can take a protein shaker flask and then as much precision as possible. I'd even pay a premium for something super fancy that does everything I want so I never have to buy another again.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Maximum weight and precision are not things that naturally go together. If you really need 0,01g precision, could you weigh out the powders on a sheet of weighing paper then pour it in the flask? That's how it's commonly done.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 caruga

• Topic Starter
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Maximum weight and precision are not things that naturally go together. If you really need 0,01g precision, could you weigh out the powders on a sheet of weighing paper then pour it in the flask? That's how it's commonly done.

I started out doing that, but I'd never go back to it with the frequency that I dole things out.

#4 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

Went looking for a scale like that myself last summer and found some by sold by Nevada Weighing Tree apparently identical to more expensive products marketed under the names Zeiss, Citizen, and Amston. I picked up the 200g x .001 model HRB203 on Amazon which appears to be identical to the Zeiss ZHR203 that I've seen listed on lab supply sites. It's a top notch, ruggedly built unit with a tall enclosure suitable for precision weight of liquids in graduate cylinders which was what I was looking for. I see they sell more costly models with higher capacity billed as European-made that bear the name Radwag in the description which is a scale manufacturer in Poland. Here's a 1000g x .001 model with a shorter enclosure that might suit your needs:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00BWYOEYG

There are also 510g capacity models in their lineup but the cost is only slightly less than 1000g units. They also make significantly less expensive models with a .01 precision that omit mention of Rawag/European in their description like this:

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B00BRYE770

... but if you want to also weigh out smaller supplement dosages, milligram precision would have broader application.

Howard

#5 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

If you really want or need a scale with that level of capacity, coupled with 0.01 gram accuracy, expect to pay a hefty sum; from around $200 to over $3000.

I've purchased from this vendor before. They're in the US. See this page for a listing of scales and click on the grid square that is of interest. http://www.oldwillkn...ution.html#gram

#6 caruga

• Topic Starter
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

If you really want or need a scale with that level of capacity, coupled with 0.01 gram accuracy, expect to pay a hefty sum; from around $200 to over $3000.

And make sure it's the real deal this time before I hand over my cash.

I've purchased from this vendor before. They're in the US. See this page for a listing of scales and click on the grid square that is of interest. http://www.oldwillkn...ution.html#gram

Interesting, so basically the last three i've owned are all a scam.

Went looking for a scale like that myself last summer and found some by sold by Nevada Weighing Tree apparently identical to more expensive products marketed under the names Zeiss, Citizen, and Amston.

Had a similar experience--found a scale identical to an 'SF-400' called 'SF-400c' which I could only get from china. I assume that's where some of the parts are made before they're rebranded, and how these inferior knock-offs come to be.

Here's a 1000g x .001 model with a shorter enclosure that might suit your needs:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00BWYOEYG

Good god I'd be afraid of breaking it. What's the enclosure for, to prevent spilling?

Can't imagine being physically able to decant single-miligram powder quantities anyway.

Edited by caruga, 20 March 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#7 Saffron

• 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

I found it laughable when one guy said he had tianeptine powder for sale but said he wouldnt sell to anyone without a scale accurate to 1 milligram. With a lot of things you can use micro-scoopers because their theraputic index is SO wide, that theres virtually no difference between doses. Tianeptine is 100% non-toxic, some people (not me) have taken 3,000 milligrams of it per day for months and months with no damage done to them except dependance. This is documented in the medical literature.

Of course i myself dont use that kind of dosage, what im trying to say is people shouldnt confuse things that you need a scale with things you dont need a scale. They confuse and mix up the two. Telling someone they need a scale to use tianeptine would be like telling someone they need a scale to use vitamin C, its absolutely false lol.... sorry, no offense.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

What's the enclosure for, to prevent spilling?

It's to protect against imperceptible wind currents and dust that might interfere with milligram-precision weighing.

I don't see why you couldn't take all the powders you use for one shake and weigh them in some kind of lightweight container, then just dump it in the shake flask. It's one minor step- is that really worth the cost of a scale capable of 500g +/- 0.01g? Maybe what you really need are a set of scoops that you can trim the tops off of until they hold the exact volume you need. Then you wouldn't even need to weigh the powders- just scoop them. Weighing that many powders multiple times a day would drive me nuts.

#9 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Maybe what you really need are a set of scoops that you can trim the tops off of until they hold the exact volume you need. Then you wouldn't even need to weigh the powders- just scoop them. Weighing that many powders multiple times a day would drive me nuts.

I use that approach to brew my coffee in the morning but, even for that application, there are limitations. Even though I grind it myself, its not uniform. Really fine dust cakes up near the top which is heavier and more densely packed. I use a scoop with a leveling slider on it and still get some brew variation but its not critical and I live with it.

Suitability with supplement powders may similarly depend on how consistent the grind is, whether there is any tendency to chunk up, and also on their relative potency and dosage, not to mention humidity sensitivity. I wouldn't use a scoop, for instance, to measure out a 2 mg dosage of a peptide like epithalon or TB500. Use of an inexpensive milligram resolution scale would also be ill advised for single dosages of peptides, if the actual scale accuracy is plus or minus 3 to 5 mg, which is typical, or the scale has not been calibrated recently. I use the better scale, whose accuracy tolerance matches its readout resolution, in high potency applications and mix for a larger quantity which I divide down into 2 to 4 drop daily dosages for liquids. But with peptides, mixing for too high a quantity is problematical due to degradation after mixing with water. Most folks without good scales should order in pre-divided vials... Genscript provides that option. When dealing with a powder like piperine, where a 5 mg dose is typical, I feel I can get away with the inexpensive scale if I mix in a batch that lets me divide down and spread any error over the 24 or 48-cap capacity of my capping machines.

One nice advantage of the higher capacity milligram scales is that you can weigh right into the grinding dish or graduate cylinder to get less waste transferring between containers. The higher capacity milligram scales also distribute calibration error over a wider range. I've also noticed that my better scale has no drift during usage; I seem to have to tare the less expensive ones every few minutes.

Howard

Edited by hav, 22 March 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#10 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Here are two scales that meet your posted requirements of 500+ gram capacity and 0.01 gram resolution. Additionally, the Scout Pro has a generous 4.7" platform, and the TAJ602 has a 5.5" platform for placing your flask.
Ohaus is a high-quality, reliable manufacturer. If you are using your scale frequently, look at the (highish) cost as a multi-year investment. To a point, you get what you pay for. I'd also consider a calibration weight when purchasing a scale.

Ohaus Scout Pro SP602 AM
http://www.oldwillkn...cout-sp602.html

Ohaus TAJ602 AM
http://www.oldwillkn...aus-taj602.html

I find this five piece weighing cup set handy.
http://www.oldwillkn...ng-cup-set.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 caruga

• Topic Starter
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

So I've revisited purchasing something for my needs today, and I've come across a few products that seem too good to be true.  Two of them are of a brand I've not heard of, and another one I can't find the brand name at all.  I would have expected to pay four times as much for these.

Jscale JT-2 350 (350g capacity, 0.01 precision), £40

Jscale TB500 (500g capacity, 0.01 precision), £72

1000g capacity, 0.01 precision, enclosure (says 'well made tools' as brand, but I do not think that is correct), £98

That last, especially, looks too good to be true.

The pyramid design is attractive to me because I tend to spill powders a lot, and get dirt under the weighing platform.  Same for the platform being recessed and away from the buttons (which is moreso the case with the second jscale than the first).  The 1000g capacity on the last one is useful if I forget to dole something into a flask and then add water--the weight of a filled flask is 734 grams.

I'd buy the last one without hesitation if I felt reassured that it wouldn't be a piece of junk.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scales, supplements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users