• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Glycine: protection against Diabetes, Cancer, Liver injury, Stroke...

glycine diabetes stroke cancer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vladimir H

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hello from Finland!

I've been reading health stuff for several years now, and glycine is definitely one of the most interesting nutrients I'm aware of. Therefore, I decided to write a blog text about glycine.

Valtsu's - Health Benefits of Glycine (~100 references)

Let me cite Wang et al. 2013:

"Dietary supplementation with an appropriate dose of glycine is effective in ameliorating metabolic disorders in patients with obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, ischemia-reperfusion injuries, various inflammatory diseases, and cancers."

• Informative x 1

#2 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

so is it ok to take gelatine in order to get my daily 40g schizo treatment glycine?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I just wanted to say welcome to longecity, Vladimir.

so is it ok to take gelatine in order to get my daily 40g schizo treatment glycine?

It should be, but you'd need to take about 200g of gelatin, that's a lot.

#4 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

but still cheaper than glycin roght

#5 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Thanks Vladimir, that's a great resource.

I was first tuned into glycine from its mention in Mark McCarty's Full-Spectrum Antioxidant Therapy (many of the same sources, but with some lay mechanism descriptions).

I've taken to occasionally using ~10 g glycine as my sweetener in my evening pot of hibiscus tea. The only caveat I'm aware of is that as glycine conjugation is a common mechanism for drug metabolism and excretion, high dosing may wash out desired levels of some beneficial compounds. This is true for nicotinic acid and salicylate which I'm taking, for example.

#6 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

but still cheaper than glycin roght

I don't think it's wise to add 200 g of pure protein to your protein intake! Pure Glycine isn't that expensive.

#7 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

(post deleted)

Edited by protoject, 15 April 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#8 FrankEd

• 148 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

I read that Glycine can lead to kidney stones due to the fact that it can be converted in oxalates.

As I have only one working kidney, is it safe for me to take Glycine?

Could someone answer my doubt?

#9 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Vladimir, that's a great resource.

I was first tuned into glycine from its mention in Mark McCarty's Full-Spectrum Antioxidant Therapy (many of the same sources, but with some lay mechanism descriptions).

I've taken to occasionally using ~10 g glycine as my sweetener in my evening pot of hibiscus tea. The only caveat I'm aware of is that as glycine conjugation is a common mechanism for drug metabolism and excretion, high dosing may wash out desired levels of some beneficial compounds. This is true for nicotinic acid and salicylate which I'm taking, for example.

Based on your research do you think glycine could help to clear out Pregabalin more quickly from the body?

also just because glycine is used to conjugate drugs does that necessarily mean that taking glycine as a supplement would actually increase the rate of clearance of the drug? I somehow doubt that but I'm not educated on the matter

Edited by protoject, 15 April 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#10 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

According to wiki, 98% of pregabalin is excreted unchanged. The body doesn't have a metabolic pathway to cope with it.

Glycine supplementation increases metabolism and excretion of aspirin and benzoic acid, and high aspirin doses suppress plasma glycine. Coadministration of nicotinic acid and aspirin yields higher plasma NA levels, presumably due to competition for limited glycine conjugation capacity. It appears glycine availabilty is rate-limiting for excretion of drugs metabolized via glycine conjugation. The last link, which I've only skimmed, appears to offer an novel rationale for why this rate limitation evolved: glycine also serves as a neurotransmitter. Indeed, many of the effects of aspirin intoxication may be due to CNS hypoglycinemia.

Patel, D. K., et al. "Depletion of plasma glycine and effect of glycine by mouth on salicylate metabolism during aspirin overdose." Human & experimental toxicology 9.6 (1990): 389-395.

Ding, Reinhard W., et al. "Pharmacokinetics of nicotinic acid–salicylic acid interaction." Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 46.6 (1989): 642-647.

Gregus, Z., et al. "Dependence of glycine conjugation on availability of glycine: role of the glycine cleavage system." Xenobiotica 23.2 (1993): 141-153.

Beyoğlu, Diren, and Jeffrey R. Idle. "The glycine deportation system and its pharmacological consequences." Pharmacology & therapeutics 135.2 (2012): 151-167.

As nicotinic acid + salicylate has such interesting synergies in longevity promotion (CVD prevention, AMPK activation, NAD+/Sirtuin activation), the whole glycine issue is one I've mulled over for the past couple months (as glycine itself has so many attractive qualities). Right now, it seems wisest to me to take GLY separate from NA+SA and hope that excess GLY is metabolized to pyruvate (a nice H2O2 scavenger) before the evening NA+SA.

Edited by Darryl, 15 April 2014 - 07:50 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Vladimir H

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Nice to see active commenting so quickly! I rarely visit forums, but this is certainly a good place to discuss things.

@Darryl, thanks for that information. I knew that bile salts are often conjugated with glycine but these interactions were not familiar to me.

BTW I haven't really visited much on this forum... I wonder whether you've already discussed near-infrared light or thyroid hormones? They also seem to be quite interesting pro-health things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glycine, diabetes, stroke, cancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users