- - - - -

Lifelong fear of death has made me extremely depressed and anxious

fear of death

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Every single day the thought of death pervades my mind. How can I stop being depressed over it? 

I fear that we are not gong to be able to develop therapies to be able to enter the longevity escape velocity Aubrey de Grey speaks of. What's the point of me even trying to get into research if I may not be able to enjoy the benefits? I don't give a shit if other people do. I only care if I myself enjoy an exponentially increased lifespan. The prospect of others in the future enjoying it and not me give me no pleasure.

#2 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

Get over it and live. Death is irrelevant.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

I used to fear death when I was younger, but it's a part of life, until and if we discover ways to prevent it. For me, I care a lot more about the death of my siblings before me, but even that I barely ever think about, and it definitely doesn't make me feel very anxious. I just think of death as being like before you were born - No consciousness, and no suffering. You're probably better off seeing a shrink for CBT and maybe using something non-addictive and non-harmful like selank for anxiety, than asking for help here. Even if you don't get to be immortal or live for significantly longer, by the time you're old, there will be so many treatments/cures and preventatives for various diseases, so you won't suffer like people currently do from something such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's.  :)

Edited by typ3z3r0, 06 May 2014 - 02:48 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#4 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

Try joining a Unitarian church (inb4 downvote)
  • like x 1

#5 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

^ Then he may be worried about potentially going to hell though, which is even worse than simply not existing.  :laugh:

#6 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

Unitarians believe everyone goes to heaven, it's the most liberal denomination. I think the main problem with them would be finding a church that has sane down to earth people, who just happen to believe in [a generic] God and heaven, without overdoing it.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#7 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:42 AM

Try joining a Unitarian church (inb4 downvote)

lol

• like x 1

#8 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

Worrying and being depressed will probably shorten your lifespan....

• like x 1

#9 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

acetaminophin for death anxiety- http://www.scienceda...30416102318.htm

• like x 1

#10 typ3z3r0

• 93 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Unitarians believe everyone goes to heaven, it's the most liberal denomination. I think the main problem with them would be finding a church that has sane down to earth people, who just happen to believe in [a generic] God and heaven, without overdoing it.

Oh, whoops. lol.

#11 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

There are various approaches to this subject.

It depends a bit on what or if do You belive.

Well, believing makes this all a bit easier.

From the Abrahamic religions view, You´ll fall in a deep sleep until the judgement day/remain 40 days on earth untill the judgement day,

in fact every sleep is like to be dead regarding the Quran.

(Hope this dont causes You trouble falling asleep :unsure: at least i got over it :laugh: )

Or if You take a look at the reports of near death experiences, 

or pre life memories like: Children's Pre-life Reasoning: Evidence from Two Culturesmore by Natalie Emmons

http://www.academia....om_Two_Cultures

it could relieve the fear a bit.

Nevertheless there are many ideas and philosophies or toughs to explain the life and the death.

Dont get to confused with it, try to distract You from this and to enjoy the Life or moment.

It takes sometimes just time to get an better answer.

#12 splitastone

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

There is either consciousness after death - so there is nothing to worry about

or

There is no consciousness after death - so you won't even know you are dead - so there is nothing to worry about

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#13 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Get over it and live. Death is irrelevant.

How? It's relevant to me because can't do everything I want to do because of my limited amount of time. How can I possibly be satisfied? I will never be content to die because I always want to do more. Do you suggest I neuter my drive to accomplish/experience things?

Edited by The Immortalist, 06 May 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#14 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

Read a book called how to fail at everything and still win big. Stop setting elaborate goals and develop systems to achieve things. Read the book. Stop being ridiculous. No one has infinite resources of everything including time. If we all did we would probably sit on our ass and do nothing because everything would already be at our fingertips.

You are describing some sort of Utopia where you don't need to invest time in anything to get anything and you have an infinite amount of time to do everything. You are using fear as an excuse not to do anything. Sort of like the baby afraid to walk or something. A lot of people probably have this belief on a more subconscious level so congrats In identifying it now kill it with fire.
  • like x 1

#15 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

This type of anxiety seems to be mediated by the cannabinoid system

#16 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

acetaminophin for death anxiety- http://www.scienceda...30416102318.htm

This type of anxiety seems to be mediated by the cannabinoid system

Much of the anxiety (of any kind) is evolutionary relevant, irrelevant in present modern times, and limit goal setting and motivation much more than its currently useful. We should research its biological mechanisms and try to carefully ameliorate anxiety pathways in the brain.

An interesting introductory reading.

http://www.amazon.co...ssion evolution

Edited by Strangelove, 08 May 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#17 mealz13

• Life Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

This sounds to me like a sort of obsession-- I know I get obsessive anxiety and I know from experience having excessive obsessive anxiety makes thinking about disconcerting subjects like death all the more easy.  Personally, zoloft gets rid of it for me, but that's because I have an actual anxiety disorder; you may too, and may benefit from treatment; if not, become a philosopher or something, read some Kant and Aristotle, or become a Buddhist and realize that everything is impermanent and will pass away eventually, and accept it.  Nothing we can do about it until there are unlimited life spans, which probably won't happen before you die, I'm sorry to say.

• dislike x 1

#18 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Lol I would't recommend a newbie to philiosophy reading some Kant. Kant is the most backwards evil minded philosopher to have ever existed. His philosophies were the fuel of the Germany during WW2. 

Start with Ayn Rand or Aristotle. At least then you know you are getting a philosophy based on reality and not on some wishful thinking. 

#19 mealz13

• Life Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Lol I would't recommend a newbie to philiosophy reading some Kant. Kant is the most backwards evil minded philosopher to have ever existed. His philosophies were the fuel of the Germany during WW2. 

Start with Ayn Rand or Aristotle. At least then you know you are getting a philosophy based on reality and not on some wishful thinking. 

Aww, don't be mean to Kant!  yes, his theories are impractical and have no basis in reality, but I wouldn't call him evil.  I mean, I don't think one man's philosophy fueled WWII-- I could be wrong.  If anything, reading his work is a great workout mentally, even if he is out of his mind.  It makes you think.

#20 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

I agree. But if he hasnt read any philosophy the last person i would recommend him start with is Kant lol. Anyway check out a book called the ominous parallels by leonard peikoff for more info on deadly philosophy.

#21 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

Everything to me just seems like a race to do as much as possible before you die. If I'm doing one thing I'm thinking about all the other things I could also be doing at the same time. It's driving me mad. 

Edited by The Immortalist, 11 May 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#22 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:15 AM

Well im pretty sure everyone feels that way. I know i do. It is your brain telling you to get off your ass and improve your circumstances. All of these fears may go away if you put yourself or are put in a situation where say you have to get a job to pay bills.

#23 ILIkeBeer

• 135 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:55 AM

I guess and to me this is how I feel... if your so miserable how can you be so scared of death?  Goto church and heaven will seem like somewhere you want to go... and then perhaps you won't be so scared of dieing?

In fact the only reason I still smoke cigarettes is because I think it will but a cap on my life... I do not want to die but I feel it is like a safety net.

Edited by ILIkeBeer, 11 May 2014 - 02:56 AM.

#24 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Well im pretty sure everyone feels that way. I know i do. It is your brain telling you to get off your ass and improve your circumstances. All of these fears may go away if you put yourself or are put in a situation where say you have to get a job to pay bills.

I'm not sitting on my ass nor was I ever. I am being productive as possible. I override my anxiety with my intellect. I force myself to do things. 

#25 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

lost me at Ayn Rand

#26 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

What do you want to accomplish and experience that's so important

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#27 ILIkeBeer

• 135 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

lost me at Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand rocks! I love her books and she is spot on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users