• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

UPDATE:

STACKS NOW INSTALLED ON LONGECITY FOR BETA TESTING

'Stack' are custom combinations of nutritional supplements for optimal effect. For many years LongeCity users have discussed and compared different stacks. In fact, the community sourced multivitamin' 'Vimmortal' can be seen as one such project. To improve the tools available to the community for this purpose,  LongeCity is partnering with a veteran developer Michael John, the owner of DevFuse.com  to create a new module in which members can submit different 'stacks' for discussion.

A very early version of this interface can already be looked at, and everyone is invited to submit commends and suggestions. 

http://www.devfuse.com/stacksipb/

Members: click here for full login details

stacks2.jpg

• like x 2

#2 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

"IMPORTANT: this forum section might soon be closed and migrated into the new 'stacks' feature, under development"

There are some threads in "regimens" and "nootropic stacks" that have been ongoing for some time. Some threads are picked up again after a year or two, because people find them in searches and want to continue the thread or have a question that fits in. I think there is some pretty important content, and wonder how it would be integrated into this new forum and if any value that content had would be lost.

As far as the stack interface:

1. I think in addition to set drop down menus it would be nice to be able to type in something in case your dose or frequency doesn't fit one of the drop down options.

2. It would be nice to be able to write notes on individual ingredients.

• like x 1

#3 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

bug note: unless I missed it, there is no way of allocating a specific point reward to a stack or to ratings for a stack  

#4 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

The existing regimen forums are closed for new posts and comments at this point.

#5 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

Here my 2 cents:

1.)  Add the ability to put days " off". For example, many people take Selegiline 5days a week with weekends off.  Others take sunifiram every other day, or every 3 days.

2.)  Add a place to put the supplier, with so many companies out there knowing who is legit is a must.

3.)  Don't close the forums, it provides a more organic developement on stacks.

4.)  Will this be available to see if a click  or hover the mouse on someone's name?  It seems that if I admire a user, and would like to copy his stack it would be better for me to just click on his profile to see his stack, rather then asking him in a the forum.

Edited by noot_in_the_sky, 01 July 2014 - 11:34 PM.

#6 Jun Han

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

I do not prefer the new "Stacks" feature as it actually limits what the original "Regimen" subforum can bring.

Rather than just the stacks of supplements or pharmaceutical products, regimens can also refer to the scheduling or timing of the consumptions.

As given examples by noot_in_the_sky above, the current abilities to flexibly state what we want to state about the regimen, in such, whether are there cycling (days on and off), the product information (supplier, manufacturer, brand, version), and most importantly the scheduling and timing (such as taken at breakfast or within 30 minutes of workout or such) and lifestyles that accompanied this (so that we can identify whether the products, ie NSAIDs, will affect a particular lifestyle, ie workouts).

A brilliant example of a post is the most recent one by bugme, entitled, "Critique my regimen!" on the end of June.

I am not able to comment nor see other comments about that regimen, thereby, a proof that disabling that subforum is a detriment to organic development.

Briefly, my final feedback of the "Stacks" feature is that it is too rigid. Sometimes, it is not all about the products you take (Stacks) but the timing or actions surrounding them as well (thereby, regimen). You can merge all Stacks subforum into this new feature but maintain "Regimens".

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

The feature was developed in response to informed stakeholders who said the following:
"I find LongeCity to cumbersome to peruse. Reading 30 pages of to-and-fro in a forum can be fun, but sometimes I want a quick overview. What stacks are suggested for a specific purpose, what are their elements, and how are their rated overall by the community." Some of these these users pointed me to other community websites who do this with apparent great success. (example)

Now, it might be that we can't emulate this easily. The 'stacks' feature is the lowest common denominator after we discovered that we don't have enough committed users to curate a more sophisticated database. Maybe we won't even have enough for the stacks feature. But in that light, I cannot take comments such as the above seriously. Although the feature has been offered for trial for months users clearly haven't bothered to check it out and still don't. If we decide to drop the feature it would be after proper trial and evaluation, not in response to those who find change difficult.

The ability to specify 'days off' or 'after workout' can be easily integrated.
The purpose of a stack can be identified under it's heading.
Specifying suppliers is not permitted whether in the forums or in the new feature.

#8 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Well I never saw much about replacing this forum. I will say that the sub headings on all these other forums here are very off putting to me. You can say this here, don't say this there, I never know if I'll get ostracized over where my post is placed. ONE SIZE NEVER FITS ANYONE.  Pull down menus and `like this, screw that,' are for social media twits. I will never ever click a like button unless someone pays me to do it. As soon as that happens those terms become meaningless. And if there is money involved someone is already doing just that.  If they exist on some cutzie poo social blather blog…." Brenda liked what you said about her shoes so, click on her lick button. Gag me. I know how to spell like. 

Ron 

P.S. At least now I know why I can't post. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#9 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

It sounds like someone wants to disguise a commercial venture as a forum, but I could be jumping to commercial conclusions since I haven't visited the page. I hope that's not the case. 

Holy shit I clicked on the example link. Brazilian Butt Lift??,  before and after totally suck…….. equally But hey, how about those noots!! One last thing…. if the stacks are a trial why is this forum closed to new subjects. Are we being herded kicking and screaming to the stacks pull down orgy?

Ron

• Needs references x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#10 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Stacks for particular medical conditions. There are no great nootropics for healthy people, but there are some effective ones for those with disabling ailments. Healing those pathologies will probably be where the first real nootropic is discovered. Most likely a treatment for a chronic neurodegenerative disease. There is also nowhere else on the net that has a large group looking at experimental therapies and even getting peptide synthesis done.

It's good to be first and it would be a great public service to provide.

So perhaps a sub-forum for particular medical conditions.

• Agree x 1

#11 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

There is a 'medical' category already in place - conditions can be chosen by title and keyword 

• like x 1

#12 Jun Han

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

Forgive my inexperience in the systems of this forum.
I do not know where to post a possible bug related to the Stacks feature.

It seems to me that when I access the thread entitled "Anti-Glycation Synergy" in the Stacks feature at www.longecity.org/forum/topic/70691-in-development-stacks-feature/ ,

I come across a recurring error on the top of my browser that was never encountered in other threads.

This error happens only to this particular thread. No stack ingredients' information can be seen except the descriptions.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_stacks.php on line 904

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/longecit/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_stacks.php:904) in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/longecit/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_stacks.php:904) in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/longecit/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_stacks.php:904) in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/longecit/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_stacks.php:904) in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/longecit/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_stacks.php:904) in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

You should take a look.

Edited by Jun Han, 24 July 2014 - 08:02 AM.

• like x 1

#13 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Where is it I cant find it all I see is the "regimens" tab

#14 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Where is it I cant find it all I see is the "regimens" tab

It looks like they just changed the name of the tab. That's the right one.

• Informative x 1

#15 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have tried entering my ocular health stack and I can't. The measurement units don't include IU (international units), so I can't enter something like "2500 IU of retinyl palmitate".

It should also have "servings" or "pills" as measurement units.

Also, I should be able to suggest product brands, as in:

"Carotenoid complex containing lutein, zeaxanthin, etc"  - 1 pill/day

Suggested brand: Jarrow CarotenAll

• Agree x 1

#16 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Servings is not good because you should know how many mg the pill is supposed to have.

IU would be useful though  but that can maybe be calculated into microgramms for example for vitamin d3 or so.

I dont understand IU, why didnt they just chose micrograms?

#17 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Added the above suggestions. We are just a bit careful about brand names as we don't want to turn this into a viral marketing tool. You can always put them under 'administration'

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#18 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

So where is the appropriate place to discuss individual nootropics? While I can see the benefits of the "stacks" feature, being able to focus on the effects of a single substance is necessary for good science. It seems that "individual nootropics" deserve a separate home in the same forum branch as "stacks", lest good science get lost in the complexity of the latter.

#19 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

So where is the appropriate place to discuss individual nootropics? While I can see the benefits of the "stacks" feature, being able to focus on the effects of a single substance is necessary for good science. It seems that "individual nootropics" deserve a separate home in the same forum branch as "stacks", lest good science get lost in the complexity of the latter.

If it's research related, or theory, then it goes in brain health, could be supplements when you mention a specific type or ingredient, but when mentioning brand names, such as in a review, it should go in the retailer / product discussion.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users