• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What are the most efficient methods to decrease risk of death?

survival techniques death

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Y13N1

• 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

Current methods I know of:

• Learning about causes of deaths, so as to have a better understanding of how to prevent them.
  • Doing actions to more directly decrease risk of death from disease (such as exercise and eating healthily).
  • Doing actions to more directly decrease risk of death from injury (such as decreasing time spent in car and avoiding dangerous areas).
  • Increasing wealth, so as to increase the chance of affording life extension technologies when they are made.

I understand that each method has a diminishing marginal utility (the more time spent doing each one, the less effective they are per unit time), so the optimal strategy is to doing a combination of the techniques.

How much time should be spent doing the aforementioned techniques? Are there any other worthwhile techniques that I didn't mention?

#2 leeda

• 73 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

I think wealth can help. But to much wealth can possibly be bad.  I kind of find driving in cars scary but yet I still do it.  It's much safer to drive around town I guess at the 50km limit.  I drive a scooter so i'm taking a big risk.  This comes back to wealth again. If I could afford to run a car I would but if I could afford to run a car then I would probably drive around alot more which would raise my risk again.  Maybe driving lower powered stronger safer cars could help.  

Maybe we shouldn't be trying to make cars faster and more powerful but make them safer and more econmical.

I think if we can conserve life this could help alot. Knowledge can help.  You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.

I would say to read alot but there are now other mediums like video and voice.  Some people can't read or write.  

To Be Honest i'm really just playing it by ear and hoping to live a long life.  This is not smart.

There is always new science that comes out to support one side and then something comes out to support a completely different opposite side it's so hard to find an absolute truth.

Moderation.  Like mountain climbers put in those steel spikes and tie a rope to it to catch them. People need to use self control.  

There has to be more to life than just suffering.  I say to people not to fear death because there will be a resurrection of every living being.

Things are much easier when your young.  I had a much better mind when I was young so the younger you are the more you need to do and are able to do.

What are better ways to live?  

You need to use your youth to prepare for suffering that you might possibly face.  

More people should answer this thread.

#3 Y13N1

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

I think wealth can help. But to much wealth can possibly be bad.  I kind of find driving in cars scary but yet I still do it.  It's much safer to drive around town I guess at the 50km limit.  I drive a scooter so i'm taking a big risk.  This comes back to wealth again. If I could afford to run a car I would but if I could afford to run a car then I would probably drive around alot more which would raise my risk again.  Maybe driving lower powered stronger safer cars could help.  

Maybe we shouldn't be trying to make cars faster and more powerful but make them safer and more econmical.

I think if we can conserve life this could help alot. Knowledge can help.  You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.

I would say to read alot but there are now other mediums like video and voice.  Some people can't read or write.  

To Be Honest i'm really just playing it by ear and hoping to live a long life.  This is not smart.

There is always new science that comes out to support one side and then something comes out to support a completely different opposite side it's so hard to find an absolute truth.

Moderation.  Like mountain climbers put in those steel spikes and tie a rope to it to catch them. People need to use self control.  

There has to be more to life than just suffering.  I say to people not to fear death because there will be a resurrection of every living being.

Things are much easier when your young.  I had a much better mind when I was young so the younger you are the more you need to do and are able to do.

What are better ways to live?  

You need to use your youth to prepare for suffering that you might possibly face.  

More people should answer this thread.

Your post seems largely off-topic. Why are you mentioning that some people can't read or write? What does things being much easier when young have to do with this? Why are you mentioning suffering and resurrection?

Also, why would too much wealth increase one's risk of death?

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

I know what not to do/avoid:

Join the army

Open Volcanoes

Tropical third world shitholes

Coral reefs with only a snorkel without looking up the tide schedule

Street food in China

Girlfriends from South America

This list is much more fun,

Remember that life filled with awesome has the exact same mortality rate as a very boring one and act accordingly.

Edited by Nemo888, 17 July 2014 - 05:12 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#5 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

I liked that with the Street food in China :) Why the street food in China is so dangerous?

#6 Y13N1

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

I know what not to do/avoid:

Join the army

Open Volcanoes

Tropical third world shitholes

Coral reefs with only a snorkel without looking up the tide schedule

Street food in China

Girlfriends from South America

This list is much more fun,

Remember that life filled with awesome has the exact same mortality rate as a very boring one and act accordingly.

If the claim that life filled with awesome has the exact same mortality rate as a very boring one is very suspect. What are your sources for this?

Also, your list seems to ignore some extremely important parts, such as diet and exercise.

#7 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

What do you think about our chances of living long enough to be able to see the rise of working life-extension technology?

#8 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

What do you think about our chances of living long enough to be able to see the rise of working life-extension technology?

Aubrey de Grey says the chances are 50/50 for someone his age. Dr. Roizen (Dr. Oz's good friend) says we will start using regenerative therapies in 2024. (I'll try to find the article now).

#9 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

http://health.usnews...t-you-taking-it

Here's the article. Take care of yourself and make it to 2024 in very good health!

#10 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

I always had the attitude that I would pursue life extension and do all the normal "dangerous" things, since you dont really live if you live like a hypohondriac, being afraid of every germ (unfortunately I am some sort of Hypohindriac), and if i get smashed by a safe falling from a high rise building... accidents do happen.

Today Iam more afraid of such things, dont know why.

I should be able to make it to 2014, would be my 43 birthday.

#11 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

oups! I ment 2024, that should be my 43 Birthday.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#12 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Don't be a door to door sale's rep or post man - to reduce chance of being eaten by large Dogs!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: survival, techniques, death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users