- - - - -

AChEi (AcetylCholinEsterase Inhibitor) for neuroplasticity

achei inhibitor neuroplasticity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pi-

• 73 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

I am exploring the various 'brakes' that shut down the critical period of neuroplasticity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3822369/ "Regulating Critical Period Plasticity: Insight from the Visual System to Fear Circuitry for Therapeutic Interventions" says:

Recent studies using rodent visual cortex have identified multiple structural and functional molecular “brakes” that actively limit plasticity and close the critical period in the adult brain (8, 21). Structural brakes include PNNs (22), myelin-related inhibitory signaling mediated by Nogo receptor (23), and paired immunoglobulin-like receptor B expression (PirB) (24). Functional brakes, such as the nicotinic receptor binding protein Lynx1 act upon excitatory-inhibitory balance within local circuits (25). Importantly, lifting these brakes can induce critical period plasticity in adulthood…

following that underlined link takes us to http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC3387538 " Lynx1, a cholinergic brake limits plasticity in adult visual cortex"

which states:

Dramatically, lynx1 knockout mice spontaneously recovered visual acuity to normal levels simply by reopening the closed eye [...]. Given the cholinergic basis of this plasticity, we further attempted to induce recovery even in adult wild-type mice by enhancing endogenous ACh signaling. Injection of an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, physostigmine, during the period of eye re-opening similarly restored vision to wild-type mice initially rendered amblyopic.

So AChEi restore plasticity.

But which ones? Obviously the one that experiment is unsuitable as it requires invasive administration.

I'm aware that Huperzine A is one candidate.  But is it the best candidate? Do there exist prescription medications that may be more suitable?

pi

#2 Ekscentra

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors aren't exactly sustainable in the long-term, but can be great to take on occasion. I'd recommend Galantamine over Huperzine A for the additional A7 nicotinic receptor activity.

As for the goals you have in mind, I'm sure there are better candidates that can be taken more often without running into problems in the future. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors are purely short-term solutions, IMO.

Edited by Ekscentra, 10 August 2014 - 04:46 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pi-

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

@Ekscentra, thanks for replying!

Are you aware of the context I'm working in?  I am attempting to teach myself perfect pitch, and I'm following a particular experiment where people were given VPA, which is meant to reopen the critical period of plasticity (through HDACi).

Looking into 'critical period of plasticity' further, I found several mechanisms detailed (AChEi, SSRi, something to do with the nicotinic receptor, maybe something else...)

So I'm wondering whether there may be some sense in stacking.

Seeing as this is for the purpose of training a particular skill, short term effectiveness may be good enough. i.e. If I can learn the skill within say three months, that new coding should be able to persist after I finish taking supplements.

Thanks for alerting me to Galantamine! Does this mean that Galantamine is going to provide all the beneficial plasticity effects that nicotine supplements would?

#4 Ekscentra

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

@Ekscentra, thanks for replying!

Are you aware of the context I'm working in?  I am attempting to teach myself perfect pitch, and I'm following a particular experiment where people were given VPA, which is meant to reopen the critical period of plasticity (through HDACi).

Looking into 'critical period of plasticity' further, I found several mechanisms detailed (AChEi, SSRi, something to do with the nicotinic receptor, maybe something else...)

So I'm wondering whether there may be some sense in stacking.

Seeing as this is for the purpose of training a particular skill, short term effectiveness may be good enough. i.e. If I can learn the skill within say three months, that new coding should be able to persist after I finish taking supplements.

Thanks for alerting me to Galantamine! Does this mean that Galantamine is going to provide all the beneficial plasticity effects that nicotine supplements would?

I wasn't aware of the specifics, no. That is incredibly interesting! I'm an aspiring musician with Asperger's myself, though I hadn't known about this 'critical period of plasticity' with regard to high-functioning autistics until I saw this thread.

Yes, Galantamine would provide all the plasticity benefits nicotine would, but once again it's not a sustainable solution. A7 nicotinic receptor agonists are still incredibly expensive today, with the exceptions of nicotine and nefiracetam. I'd look into nicotine, but reports of urinary toxicity with nefiracetam are a bit concerning. Still, it's an intriguing substance, and it may still be worth taking a look at despite this issue, especially considering you're only looking at learning a single skill, albeit a rather difficult one to acquire.

#5 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Memogain will be superior to Galantamine when whenever it hits market.

http://www.galantos....882654149a159df

I've taken Nefiracetam and Galantamine (at lower doses relatively speaking) without ill effects.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Ekscentra

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

Memogain will be superior to Galantamine when whenever it hits market.

http://www.galantos....882654149a159df

I've taken Nefiracetam and Galantamine (at lower doses relatively speaking) without ill effects.

Incredibly interesting! I'll have to keep this one on my shortlist.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: achei, inhibitor, neuroplasticity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users