CDP Choline Depression/Brain Fog Permanent

cdp choline citicoline brain fog dperession

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joe858069

• 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

Hi All,

I posted a similar question early last week but feel I went overboard with details and questions and ended up going off-topic. So I made this thread to make the question more to the point: How long can it take for the negative symptoms of cdp choline to subside?

For background I took 250mgs of cdp choline in early August (roughly 7 doses over 7 days) to help with some short-term memory issues from stopping dexedrine several months ago. I didn't really notice any benefit but after stopping I noticed very pronounced brain fog that has not lifted. I feel very spacey when watching something, for example, and easily zone out. It feels like there is pressure or cotton behind my forehead.

At first I thought it could be from too much acetylcholine so I tried Benadryl and doxylamine (1x each). I think those may have made things worse as I now get bouts of horrible depression and irritability. Are the symptoms indiciative of low acetylcholine now or low dopamine/serotonin/etc.?

Should I just stop all supplements so my brain can return to baseline? How long should this take? It appears cdp choline has a long half-life. Or is it possible I've done some damage?

Thanks for reading!

#2 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:56 AM

This is likely a result of you stopping dexedrine. The components of CDP choline (choline and uridine) are already present in abundance in all living people, so there's no conceivable reason for CDP choline to cause brain damage. It's possible for something like uridine to precipitate withdrawal from dexedrine, since uridine is a dopamine modulator, but that's unlikely to be a very powerful effect. Really I think you should be focusing on how to recover from dexedrine, which is so much more powerful than any supplement, and which causes permanent changes to the dopamine system with long-term use. Your symptoms sound just like standard amphetamine withdrawal.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 joe858069

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for the response. I was off dexedrine for several months with no ill effects. It was only after trying cdp choline that these issues presented themselves. I've taken breaks from dexedrine in the past with none of these symptoms.

If it is related to cdp choline would that mean my body downregulated acetylcholine in response to it? Or do I now have too much?

#4 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

Downregulation of acetylcholine would only occur after an extended period of time. It would be more likely for you to have too much acetylcholine, in which case benadryl alone at about 20 mg a night should be able to fix things within a week. A stiff neck and rumination are characteristics of high acetylcholine, while a dull headache and spaciness are characteristic of low acetylcholine. To really be sure about the nature of your problem, it might be a good idea to try benadryl for a while, then try CDP choline again to see if you can reproduce your symptoms.

#5 Infinityandbeyond

• 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

sounds like too much acetylcholine to me

• Good Point x 1

#6 joe858069

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Downregulation of acetylcholine would only occur after an extended period of time. It would be more likely for you to have too much acetylcholine, in which case benadryl alone at about 20 mg a night should be able to fix things within a week. A stiff neck and rumination are characteristics of high acetylcholine, while a dull headache and spaciness are characteristic of low acetylcholine. To really be sure about the nature of your problem, it might be a good idea to try benadryl for a while, then try CDP choline again to see if you can reproduce your symptoms.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on trying it out.

I've always had negative rumination so maybe I'm naturally high in ach? I have the brain fog though, so I'm unsure what the issue is. Would ach levels normalize on their own?

It also seems like I just developed panic attacks. I've been getting really strong feelings of dread, getting really hot, shortness of breath, and twice I've broken out in tears. This is brand new for me. Could it be another symptom of the cdp choline?

Thank you again!

#7 arvcondor

• 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

I would just stay off of everything, go jogging, give it a few more weeks and chill out, since you're almost undoubtedly fine after taking citicoline. This is the absolute best advice anyone is going to give you on this issue.

#8 mrocco123

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hi joe850869, I am currently going through the same situation. How are you doing now? How did you get past this? Did Benadryl help? Exercise?

#9 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

So much wrong information. Looks like you issue is too high acetylcholine neurotransmitter. And yes it does eventually resolve according to multiple forum accounts.

• Ill informed x 1

#10 synkyr

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hi joe850869, I am currently going through the same situation. How are you doing now? How did you get past this? Did Benadryl help? Exercise?

Hey I went through the same experience and it was hell. Took me half a year to get better. One thing that really helped initially was a session of LENS neurofeedback. See if you can find a provider of it, there's a directory here: https://www.site.och...om/about1-c1b0l. I would say that doing LENS brought me from 5% functioning to maybe 50% which I attribute to saving my life though it had diminishing returns eventually. After that it really just took time and intense cardio to get me back on my feet. Wish you all the best. Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 dk2011

• 82 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

Similar situation here.  Long term negative imbalance after using CDP Choline.  I wish I knew how to reverse it.  It up-regulated or down-regalated something, and I need to figure out how to reverse it.  

Perhaps it had something to do with changes in acetylcholine receptor density?

Edited by dk2011, 24 December 2017 - 09:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cdp choline, citicoline, brain fog, dperession

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users