• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Timetravel ?

timetravell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

We had a lot of threads about time travell and bringing back information from "there", but how plausible is that?

Can we somehow "rewind" thermodynamis and rebuild structures from the past?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

It's complete BS.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Danae

• 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

We are all time travelers : time’s arrow is pointing forward and we are hitching a ride, though it seems we are stuck in the present. But according to the parallel worlds theory, there are many versions of this earth. Can we access those other worlds, some of which might be more advanced? Mystics believe you can, by changing emotions and perceptions. Scientists don't know, so I wouldn't be so fast to say "BS". MIT professor Max Tegmark says in his book Our Mathematical Universe that among physicists the reaction to the parallel universes theory has shifted from, "This makes no sense and I hate it," to "I hate it". The inflation theory of the universe predicts that our universe is just one in a multiverse of myriad universes where everything that can happen does happen somewhere. This theory is the one most physicists currently subscribe to, since it corresponds to what is observed by cosmologists, and predicts we are currently living out infinite versions of our lives.

Attached Files

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

Isn't time travel to the past considered to be impossible due to the paradox problem?  It might be possible to travel to the future, as long as you didn't come back to the present, as my inadequate understanding has it.  Maybe multiverses change everything, but time travel wouldn't be very interesting (except presumably to the traveler) if you can't return to the universe you start in.

#5 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

Hm, is there another way to retrieve information about the past?

It would be interesting to, for example, get a closer look on what happend during the stone age etc.

I found the short story "the dead past" from Assimow (about this topic) very interesting, alltough it deals with privacy in general.

#6 Zaul

• 120 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

Radical New Theory Could Kill the Multiverse Hypothesis

and then Brian Cox says:

'Multiverse' makes sense

go figure.

Edited by Nigeria Custom Officer, 23 September 2014 - 10:08 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#7 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

We are all time travelers : time’s arrow is pointing forward and we are hitching a ride, though it seems we are stuck in the present. But according to the parallel worlds theory, there are many versions of this earth. Can we access those other worlds, some of which might be more advanced? Mystics believe you can, by changing emotions and perceptions. Scientists don't know, so I wouldn't be so fast to say "BS". MIT professor Max Tegmark says in his book Our Mathematical Universe that among physicists the reaction to the parallel universes theory has shifted from, "This makes no sense and I hate it," to "I hate it". The inflation theory of the universe predicts that our universe is just one in a multiverse of myriad universes where everything that can happen does happen somewhere. This theory is the one most physicists currently subscribe to, since it corresponds to what is observed by cosmologists, and predicts we are currently living out infinite versions of our lives.

I'd like to point out the multiverse theory is building upon the approved laws of physics we have right now.
In other words it doesn't make time travel possible IN OUR UNIVERSE. You'd have to go to a space where the laws of our universe do not apply.

So basically it's still impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users