- - - - -

Moving on to reddit:Nootropics. Cya

shill and hype

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

I've spent a good amount of time around here. I feel sorry for xks201 having to deal with children. I'll be at reddit, now-on. Cya. medievil can come. :D

• dislike x 11
  • like x 1

#2 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I like Longecity for several reasons:

• Older discussions are able to be bumped and maintained rather than having to create a new thread.
  • Posts typically do not get over looked.
  • Because of the above, group buys are more feasible.
  • Group buys (I don't think r/nootropics has accomplished a group buy yet).
  • No need to feel concerned over getting your post in early so it has greater visibility.
  • Easy to follow postings about a substance and user experiences contained within a single thread. On reddit, they may be spread out in many separate threads.
  • Members here seem more willing to try the extreme. This being said, I've seen more interesting nootropic experiences (P21, fluorenol, ect) the past few months on r/nootropics than on LC.
  • No 'TL;DR' culture here. To be fair, I rarely see this on r/nootropics anymore.
  • Easier to follow your own posts. I get the message icon on reddit, and it's tough for me to go through all of them to keep up to date with my postings. LC, I typically reply to mostly everything but on reddit, I might realize someone asked me a question 4 months later.

Don't get me wrong, I still like r/nootropics. The topics are updated more and links to studies are shared more. I also like how vendors are out in the open, participating in the active discussion of the site. The dedicated posters there are just as knowledgeable as the best people on Longecity. It's a good community.

This being said, it still is reddit, and people just jump in there, and start posting, without knowing much. You look at some people and their "karma" and their "post history", they just say whatever comes to their mind because they can. Even though they may have just learned about nootropics less than 5 minutes ago. Also, trivialized content occasionally gets "upvoted" and it may not have anything to do with nootropics at all.

Which do I like better? Longecity for the reasons outlined above. /r/nootropics is still a very useful site, and I really think that studies and academic papers get much more attention and discussion there than they would on Longecity. They both have their uses.

• like x 7
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Werper

• 190 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Just yesterday yada was talking about how awesome this place is and how he tries to monetarily contribute when he can, lol.   I was going to ask him if the money he contributed to longecity was from the funds he received from members here when he came on these forums begging for financial help  (only to find out later that he had stocks he could of sold, when confronted on the discrepancy he claimed he couldn't access the funds)   Take care yada!

• Good Point x 1

#4 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

Longecity/Imminst owns r/Nootropics! From the feud with ScienceGuy, and the way certain group buys have been led, it is obvious who the child is. 

Edited by Megatrone, 21 September 2014 - 07:57 PM.

• like x 1

#5 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

Reddit is not a good platform for serious discussion, imo. The site seems to be designed for trivial, recreational conversation. Posts only stay visible for a short amount of time before being washed away by newer ones. I go there to read what people are saying (and their faq on the sidebar is excellent) but I really don't see why they have chosen to land their community on a site that is now totally run by commercial interests.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#6 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

There's no reason to spend a lot of time on a post and to do serious research on Reddit because it will just get shuffled to the archive where no one will find it.  Reddit is great for news and throwing memes back and forth but it just doesn't lend itself to deep lasting understanding the way that Longecity does.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 21 September 2014 - 09:20 PM.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#7 dancarlin0

• 17 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I like Longecity for several reasons:

• Older discussions are able to be bumped and maintained rather than having to create a new thread.
  • Posts typically do not get over looked.

That's actually a double edged sword I think. Threads are actually being rewarded for hype and pseudoscience, if some people can't tell the difference. Threads are also rewarded for not actually answering questions but rather inspiring more questions and interest. This dynamic makes pages and pages of incomplete and hype-y threads. But there are of course great needles in the haystack still, they're just hard to find.

• like x 1

#8 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:49 AM

Please don't let the attitude of my initial post be interpreted as contempt toward Yadayada.

Sure, he had some falling out with much of the community here over the group buys but outside of that he has made some quality posts lately. Yadayada really is driven, both researches and tries new nootropics and is happy to post about them. I'll be honest here and I'll say that LC lost an interesting member if he does decide to go to to r/nootropics.

I watched the whole group buy fiasco unfold as little more than a lurker, but, as bad as that was, most people would never return. Yadayada took all the negative feedback and flack and still kept his account active. Then turned himself around, both deciding to stay away from leading future group buys, and still contribute by posting interesting and helpful posts.

He's no saint. He's no devil either. But most people in his shoes would have jumped ship a long time ago.

• like x 5

#9 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

Well said FW900.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#10 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:17 AM

Ugh. YadaYada may have not handled the financial side of a group buy as transparently as he should have, but overall he has been an asset to this community. People should let the past lie in the past and not hold grudges... especially when those grudges lead to disruptions of important established threads with off topic drama.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi guys,

Haven't been posting or reading much at all for a couple of reasons, one being that I am working on my own business. I've learned an awful lot over the past couple of months, some of which I can't wait to share with you guys, however the is still much improvement to be made.

I opened the forum out of curiosity and saw this post. I felt like I should make an opinion on this. I went through my phases of being on reddit, bluelight, drugs.com and on other more rogue forums. Here is why I think they are not good:

A huge amount of those commenting on those websites and forums cannot give a good subjective opinion on what works and what doesn't even for themselves. The reason is a lot of these people are either magic bullet chasers, frequent recreational drug users and mostly young people from the age of 18 to 25, a lot of them are still in university or barely freshly graduates. How does this factor into the quality of discussion? Well -

for one people who are at that age have not developed mentally enough to be truly concious about the substances they are taking for brain health, any effects they may be having can simply be mitigated by the fact that they are in a extreme growth phase in their lives in that their views of the world and people around them are constantly changing and evolving.

two the people from this strata of the population have not really dealt with the issues of real life after university either, meaning any experiences they are having are at best related to studying and taking exams, as people who grow older know - this is but a very very small part of the mentally challenging tasks that people end up dealing with in the real world, such as monotonous work, stress, politics, energy, money issues. Not to mention older people tend to have to cope with a much more comprehensive set of mental challenges together and with less time given.

three people who are that young are functioning at the peak of their own biological algorithms, its only when defeciencies arise from aging and the slowing of metabolism can we identify what may truly keep brain health at peak.

I don't really rate reddit that highly since its mostly made of people from that demographic, even a couple of years past 25 already makes a HUGE difference in terms of mental maturity and experiences. Not to mention the nature that dislikable and uncool comments get downvotes in a topic that really needs opinions and discussions from all angles, how can you downvote a opinion in a subject that almost nobody knows about. As far as I am aware nootropics is still a frontier science.

Now thats NOT saying that younger people have nothing to contribute, in fact some of the best contributors are from young curious people (especially our scientificly thorough members), I just find that longecity provides a better BALANCE of people from all parts of the population to give a comprehensive opinion on any given subject.

Edit: A good example of this is that when we are younger we tend to chase after feeling, the rush, reward type feelings, motivation, gettings things done as fast as possible, as we get older it tends to become more about remaining functional and being as mentally effective as possible. Now again both sides are important, but striking the balance in discussion is important I think for reviewing various ideas.

Edited by Major Legend, 23 September 2014 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users